Jump to topic:

Torture

animpossiblepossibility
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 12:14:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I am surprised that no one has done a debate on whether or not the term is vague. First of all, what is the correct term? I thought it would be "infliction of severe physical pain as a means of punishment or coercion" but I am unsure. By this definition though, couldn't putting someone into solitary confinement be torture?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 12:50:09 PM
Yah.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 1:03:05 PM
At 8/7/2009 12:55:47 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Because pain is relative, torture is relative. This is torture to some:

I realize there is some trauma to all this, but I can't help it. It *is* damn funny. Pickles.... :-)
So prove me wrong, then.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 1:11:56 PM
At 8/7/2009 1:03:05 PM, regebro wrote:

I realize there is some trauma to all this, but I can't help it. It *is* damn funny. Pickles.... :-)

LOL OH WOW
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 7:33:56 PM
I define torture as the willful infliction of physical, emotional or mental harm or stress for the purposes of gratification on the part of the torturer or to attempt to coerce the victim into obeying the will of the inflictor. Stalking and terrorizing someone, to me, is as much torture as putting someone in restraints and inflicting physical pain and harm upon them.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 7:47:08 PM
I think any physical or mental pain or distress which is willfully put upon a prisoner is torture. For instance, even today, there are people at Guantanamo bay which are being violently force-fed. This is torture (and must be stopped).
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 8:00:53 PM
I have to agree with Harlan on the definition torture. Individuals who are held agains their and forced to undergo physical or mental distress willfully inflicted by captors is torture.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 8:01:52 PM
At 8/7/2009 8:00:53 PM, Volkov wrote:
I have to agree with Harlan on the definition torture. Individuals who are held against their will and forced to undergo physical or mental distress willfully inflicted by captors is torture.

Correctin'.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 8:11:36 PM
What I want to know is, why is torture viewed as inherently evil? I mean, for some uses, I don't think it's effective -- but let's say we know that some guy is a serial rapist...would torturing the perpetrator as punishment be a bad idea? I really don't think so. In fact, I think it would be an effective means of punishment in such contexts.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2009 8:11:48 PM

Why would human beings enjoy seeing others in trauma? The audience was laughing some of the time, and the stupid host made it worse.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 12:17:34 PM
I have to agree with Harlan on the definition torture. Individuals who are held agains their and forced to undergo physical or mental distress willfully inflicted by captors is torture.

Prison is itself both physical and mental duress.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 5:25:21 PM
At 8/8/2009 12:17:34 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Prison is itself both physical and mental duress.

Always a good point to bring up, but the difference is that it isn't necessarily forced, as criminals being put into prison broke the law and knew the consequences. It can be called "torture" though.

That being said, there is instances in prisons where there is outright torture and abuse of human rights, something I would like to see changed.
HardAssJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 11:21:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/7/2009 7:33:56 PM, PervRat wrote:
I define torture as the willful infliction of physical, emotional or mental harm or stress for the purposes of gratification on the part of the torturer or to attempt to coerce the victim into obeying the will of the inflictor. Stalking and terrorizing someone, to me, is as much torture as putting someone in restraints and inflicting physical pain and harm upon them.

Agreed
HardAssJack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2014 11:22:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/7/2009 8:11:36 PM, patsox834 wrote:
What I want to know is, why is torture viewed as inherently evil? I mean, for some uses, I don't think it's effective -- but let's say we know that some guy is a serial rapist...would torturing the perpetrator as punishment be a bad idea? I really don't think so. In fact, I think it would be an effective means of punishment in such contexts.

Also agreed