Jump to topic:

Bill Clinton

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 9:52:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
How good of a President was he and would his wife make a good president? I don't remember anything from the Clinton years (born in 95) and I want to have the facts on him
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 10:45:51 AM
At 5/24/2012 9:52:16 AM, Microsuck wrote:
How good of a President was he and would his wife make a good president? I don't remember anything from the Clinton years (born in 95) and I want to have the facts on him

Clinton committed perjury. Clinton pardoned communist terrorists from the weather underground responsible for bombings within the US. Clinton bombed Iraq twice, once in June of 1993, and the other in December of 1998. Clinton adovated for War against Iraq on the grounds of "the production of Weapons of Mass Destruction". Clinton had multiple opportunities to take out Osama Bin Laden, but refused to give the order to engage the target, because there was a rsik of a few civilian casulties; Clinton is therefore partly responsible for 9-11, as he could have prevented but decided not to because of how it would reflect on him.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 11:47:31 AM
At 5/24/2012 10:45:51 AM, DanT wrote:

Clinton committed perjury. Clinton pardoned communist terrorists from the weather underground responsible for bombings within the US. Clinton bombed Iraq twice, once in June of 1993, and the other in December of 1998. Clinton adovated for War against Iraq on the grounds of "the production of Weapons of Mass Destruction". Clinton had multiple opportunities to take out Osama Bin Laden, but refused to give the order to engage the target, because there was a risk of a few civilian casulties; Clinton is therefore partly responsible for 9-11, as he could have prevented but decided not to because of how it would reflect on him.

Lmfaooooooo, literally criticizing the man for saving lives.

My God, Microsuck, you make me feel old. I feel like... wow. That's crazy.

Anyway. I very clearly remember the Clinton years. Bill Clinton was an excellent president. He saved money -- he was such an excellent executive businessman that the government actually had budget surplusses -- and this is largely due to the Omnibus Act of 93. Oh, man, that was epic. He was awesome.

He was also the first to try to fix healthcare.

He increased education spending.

He reduced overall governmental spending.

He improved foreign relations.

He avoided war.

He diversified the cabinet.

Man. Bill Clinton was epic. He was certainly one of my favorites. I mean, after Nixon, then Reagan, then Bush, amg... amg. The nation was in shambles. Especially the economy and our foreign relations. Wtf. The only thing they could get on him was that he had swag and could spit game.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:07:14 PM
At 5/24/2012 11:47:31 AM, Ren wrote:

Clinton committed perjury. Clinton pardoned communist terrorists from the weather underground responsible for bombings within the US. Clinton bombed Iraq twice, once in June of 1993, and the other in December of 1998. Clinton adovated for War against Iraq on the grounds of "the production of Weapons of Mass Destruction". Clinton had multiple opportunities to take out Osama Bin Laden, but refused to give the order to engage the target, because there was a risk of a few civilian casulties; Clinton is therefore partly responsible for 9-11, as he could have prevented but decided not to because of how it would reflect on him.

Anyway. I very clearly remember the Clinton years. Bill Clinton was an excellent president. He saved money -- he was such an excellent executive businessman that the government actually had budget surplusses -- and this is largely due to the Omnibus Act of 93. Oh, man, that was epic. He was awesome.

Reagan's remenants. Look at the deficits after.

By nationalizing it?

That's good?

He did?

Depends on the situation.
He avoided war.

I'll give you this one.

By expanding it?
Man. Bill Clinton was epic. He was certainly one of my favorites. I mean, after Nixon, then Reagan, then Bush, amg... amg. The nation was in shambles. Especially the economy and our foreign relations. Wtf. The only thing they could get on him was that he had swag and could spit game.

He was only a little bad, certainly the best Democrat of the century. Nixon was very good, Reagan was epic, and Bush I was pretty good. The nation was on its highest point of economic growth ever, it had the greatest standing in the world, it had defeated the Soviet Union, and many things more when Clinton when in. All were lost when he went out.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:13:38 PM
He avoided war.
Are you high? He adovated War!
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:21:22 PM
At 5/24/2012 12:13:38 PM, DanT wrote:
He avoided war.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:22:27 PM
At 5/24/2012 12:21:22 PM, DanT wrote:
At 5/24/2012 12:13:38 PM, DanT wrote:
He avoided war.

Interesting. I never knew that.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:27:29 PM

No he did it to save himself. He didn't want more political backlash. He didn't care about lives in Serbia.

A. Can't fix what isn't broken
B. No he wasn't, there have been proponents of healthcare reform before him.

No the CBO did

No he didn't
He advocated war.

fixed

Shouldn't his cabinet be based on ability, not demographics?

I gues Perjury, and War Crimes are not that big of a deal in your eyes.
cbrhawk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 12:45:03 PM

This question can be looked at in a infinite amount of ways, and it also depends on what part of Clinton's presidency we're talking about.

Clinton did some absolutely immoral and disgusting things, releasing political prisoners and the whole obstruction of justice deal, which admittedly wasn't his fault.

At the beginning, I think he was ieffective, kinda like Obama is today. The economy ran amuck, criticism about how he dealt (or didn't deal) wit the Iraqi Rebellions, Osama Bin Laden.

But, in his later years, especially in his second term, and even while he was on trial, he had the greatest synergy with congress I have ever seen. He was respected by congress, and he, in turn, respected them. There was far less party BS at the time. Clinton worked with Republicans and Democrats to get things done, and I think he was a more assertive president in his later years during and after the budget blackout.

Oerall, I think it was less about his presidency and more about the synergy the government had at the time. But, his negative was that he was a bit indifferent and non-aggressive about reacting to terrorist threats.

Of course, today, it's the absolute opposite. But, you have to do more than launch a few missiles every now and then about someone who wants to burn the country to the ground.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 2:55:29 PM
I just saw this. Funny:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

Under the Clinton Presidency the US enjoyed the lowest unemployment and inflation rates in recent history, high home ownership, low crime rates, and a budget surplus. The federal deficit was eliminated, and we had several budget surpluses. Welfare was reformed, and healthcare was to a degree as well, despite a Republican Congress. The minimum wage was increased, and the environment was made cleaner and we experienced more free trade.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 3:00:33 PM
I remember the Clinton era well, though I was a pretty young at the time.

The economy was in good shape.. he did some good things.. and the nation was obsessed with oral sex.. Good times.

Many on the religious right considered him the devil though, and he was impeached.

But for the most part he was a good president even taking into account his many personal flaws.

So I would consider him to be a good president, at least from my perspective at the time.
Debate.org Moderator
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 4:13:14 PM

I wasn't born during the French revolution, but I still know about it.

Also, there's this ---> http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com...
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 4:36:31 PM
Clinton was probably the sexiest man to ever inhabit the white house, short of JFK. I'm proud to have been born during the Clinton administration
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 4:41:51 PM
At 5/24/2012 4:36:31 PM, thett3 wrote:
Clinton was probably the sexiest man to ever inhabit the white house, short of JFK. I'm proud to have been born during the Clinton administration

Although JFK did a very good job, he was actually a very unhealthy and even a sick person.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 5:04:50 PM
At 5/24/2012 3:00:33 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
I remember the Clinton era well, though I was a pretty young at the time.

The economy was in good shape.. he did some good things.. and the nation was obsessed with oral sex.. Good times.

Many on the religious right considered him the devil though, and he was impeached.

But for the most part he was a good president even taking into account his many personal flaws.

So I would consider him to be a good president, at least from my perspective at the time.

We were the same age... I learned most of what I know about Clinton after his terms were already completed, but don't you remember how awesome things were back then?!

I mean, we certainly didn't realize it, but compared to now... I mean, wtf.

By the time I was 13 and 14, I started really understanding what he was doing (and I remember the Omnibus Act because of how dope I thought the name was, lol, like on some Ninja Turtle shit, along with the fact that the news channels I was just beginning to watch repeated it almost compulsively), and wow... he was impressive.

Bill Clinton was an excellent president, and since we're on that subject, it's funny to see how little obnoxious Conservatives have changed in all these years, obsessing because some hot chick gave him head rather than acknowledging the brilliant job he did in office.

Oh!

And one last thing -- I did vote for Hillary Clinton, btw.

I would vote for Hillary Clinton a thousand times, if I could. I'll bet she had a hand in more than a few of those excellent political maneuvers by ol Billy.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 5:15:12 PM
At 5/24/2012 11:39:24 AM, Ron-Paul wrote:
At 5/24/2012 10:54:49 AM, darkkermit wrote:
A bad president, but every other president after him was worse.

+1.

+2
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 5:58:10 PM
One word: Rwanda.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 7:35:11 PM
Bill Clinton was a pretty good president. He made mistakes, as all presidents do, but by in large, he was pretty good. (I should point out that I think most presidents were good, except FDR and Carter, but that's another issue.)

Wether or not Bill was a good president though isn't really connected to wether or not Hillary would be a good president. For what it's worth, I think she would be a good president, but whatever.

Most people judge a president on the standard of "did this dude in the oval office do what I think I should/would have done?" of "did this dude in the oval office do what I agree with/don't agree with after I've had the time to evaluate the outcome of the action that the dude's decision has had?"

Both metrics are both stupid and unfair. But whatever...

Bill Clinton did a lot of things. Some people agree with those things for various reasons. Some people disagree with those things for equally various reasons.

But Hillary would make a fine president, most likely, especially after being Obama's secretary of state. She has demonstrated uncanny cunning and shrewdness on the international level which is a challenge for anyone. Her perspective is informed and well balanced. She is a rational thinker who would surround herself with the most informed minds in any given area where she would be required to make a decision because she, having played vital roles in now two presidential administrations, understands what is necessary to be a good leader.
Tsar of DDO
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 8:11:43 PM
At 5/24/2012 4:41:51 PM, Microsuck wrote:

Although JFK did a very good job, he was actually a very unhealthy and even a sick person.

3 cheers for mercy killings! Hip hip! Haza!
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 9:28:12 PM
At 5/24/2012 8:11:43 PM, DanT wrote:

JFK didn't do that great of a job. I admire him, but his Presidency was mediocre. He did save the US from the Cuban Missile Crisis (although Kruschev helped end it), and JFK presided over civil rights legislation, tax cuts, and a higher minimum wage, much of his domestic initiatives were not passed due to Congress.

"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 9:46:26 PM
At 5/24/2012 9:28:12 PM, Contra wrote:

JFK didn't do that great of a job. I admire him, but his Presidency was mediocre. He did save the US from the Cuban Missile Crisis (although Kruschev helped end it), and JFK presided over civil rights legislation, tax cuts, and a higher minimum wage, much of his domestic initiatives were not passed due to Congress.

And thank goodness for that.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2012 9:48:09 PM
At 5/24/2012 9:46:26 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 5/24/2012 9:28:12 PM, Contra wrote:

And thank goodness for that.

Obviously you know what I think.

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 12:39:31 PM
I think Clinton was about a B- president, far from great but not terrible. He was at heart a committed leftist, but he could be pragmatic and could be pushed into doing things that worked despite his base instincts.

Some presidents have to deal with tough times, but Clinton was lucky and presided during easy times. The economy was eighteen months into recovery from a recession when he took office. The Soviet Union had collapsed, removing the Soviet threat and bringing the "peace dividend" of huge cutbacks in defense spending. The was no perceived terrorist threat, so Republicans and Democrats agreed there was not much need for a military. Clinton cut 600,000 troops.

The computer revolution struck home in the 90s, bringing great increases in efficiency and an economic boom.

Republicans proposed a balanced budget, and Clinton vetoed it four times. Ultimately Gingrich talked him into it. clinton was willing to compromise. The same was true for free trade agreements and welfare reform. The welfare reforms basically required able-bodied people to work. Obama undid the last of the welfare reforms.

Probably the worst of Clinton's mistakes was taking on the war in Bosnia. He should have forced the Europeans to man up. His health care initiative, Hillarycare, would have been a disaster, but it didn't pass. A number of measures were put in place under Clinton that contributed substantially to the ultimate collapse of the housing market. Democrats put in charge of Fannie and Freddie continued disastrous loan policies up to the collapse. The laws against bank speculation were repealed under clinton, but Republicans agreed.

Clinton was, of course, a personal scumbag. The question is how much that affected the country as a whole. I think it had relatively little effect, only because it was a peaceful time and the country ran along fine without much leadership.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 12:50:21 PM
At 5/25/2012 12:39:31 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Democrats put in charge of Fannie and Freddie continued disastrous loan policies up to the collapse. The laws against bank speculation were repealed under clinton, but Republicans agreed.

I was just going to say... you mean the disastrous policies of deregulation that Republicans keep asking for?
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 12:51:04 PM
In response to the 2nd part of the OPs question, I think Hillary would make a good President. Being a politician isn't about compromise so much as it is negotiation. Politics are dirty. I doubt many people in Washington have more connections and dirt (personal and professional alike) on politicians than the Clintons. Hillary would have been more effective than Obama at getting things accomplished, and since they basically have the same platform, I think she would have been a more effective Democratic president.
President of DDO
cbrhawk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 1:21:27 PM
At 5/25/2012 12:51:04 PM, Danielle wrote:
In response to the 2nd part of the OPs question, I think Hillary would make a good President. Being a politician isn't about compromise so much as it is negotiation. Politics are dirty. I doubt many people in Washington have more connections and dirt (personal and professional alike) on politicians than the Clintons. Hillary would have been more effective than Obama at getting things accomplished, and since they basically have the same platform, I think she would have been a more effective Democratic president.

I think Gizmo (my dog) would have been a better president than Usurpma, but I have to say I agree. with the Hillary bit.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 2:54:58 PM
I think Clinton was about a B- president, far from great but not terrible. He was at heart a committed leftist, but he could be pragmatic and could be pushed into doing things that worked despite his base instincts.

I'll seriously respond here.

Some presidents have to deal with tough times, but Clinton was lucky and presided during easy times. The economy was eighteen months into recovery from a recession when he took office. The Soviet Union had collapsed, removing the Soviet threat and bringing the "peace dividend" of huge cutbacks in defense spending. The was no perceived terrorist threat, so Republicans and Democrats agreed there was not much need for a military. Clinton cut 600,000 troops.

True, but military spending overall didn't change drastically under Clinton. New spending on the airforce cost money.

The computer revolution struck home in the 90s, bringing great increases in efficiency and an economic boom.

True, the internet/computer revolution contributed to economic growth by an astounding 35%.

Republicans proposed a balanced budget, and Clinton vetoed it four times. Ultimately Gingrich talked him into it. clinton was willing to compromise. The same was true for free trade agreements and welfare reform. The welfare reforms basically required able-bodied people to work.

Workfare probably wasn't a good thing. Train the people to work real jobs instead. I believe Clinton proposed such an idea before the GOP shot it down.

Obama undid the last of the welfare reforms.

Good.

Probably the worst of Clinton's mistakes was taking on the war in Bosnia. He should have forced the Europeans to man up.

Perhaps.

His health care initiative, Hillarycare, would have been a disaster, but it didn't pass.

It was an earlier form of Obamacare, managed competition. I thought it sounded not bad. Not my first choice, but still. The construction of the plan which was started too late, and secretly created while still massively bureaucratic made it a failure.

A number of measures were put in place under Clinton that contributed substantially to the ultimate collapse of the housing market.

Eh, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GOP bill signed by Clinton) did so. I probably massacred the spellings.

Democrats put in charge of Fannie and Freddie continued disastrous loan policies up to the collapse.

I don't know much here. Unregulated derivatives played a huge role.

The laws against bank speculation were repealed under clinton, but Republicans agreed.

+1

Clinton was, of course, a personal scumbag.

Too far man. Just too far. He had few morals and ethics, but wasn't a scumbag.

The question is how much that affected the country as a whole. I think it had relatively little effect, only because it was a peaceful time and the country ran along fine without much leadership.

Clinton I believe was a great President, but lacked a clear agenda.

On Wall Street, I don't favor his actions.
Elsewhere, not too bad.

Infidelity is not a trait considered essential to the Presidency.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 2:55:55 PM
At 5/25/2012 12:50:21 PM, Danielle wrote:
Democrats put in charge of Fannie and Freddie continued disastrous loan policies up to the collapse. The laws against bank speculation were repealed under clinton, but Republicans agreed.

I was just going to say... you mean the disastrous policies of deregulation that Republicans keep asking for?

+100