Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A PRACTICAL Solution to our Debt

SayWhat
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:01:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here is a solution that you probably haven't heard anywhere else.

Steps

1) Balance the budget. However, instead of just a few tax increases and spending cuts, create a flat tax of 90% (allowing the increase to expire after four years). Then drastically cut discretionary spending and public sector jobs/wages (also allowing these cuts to expire after four years as well).

2) Spend the entire surplus (which would probably exceed 1 trillion) on our military.

3) Reinstate the military draft.

4) Use our millions of new troops and trillions in military funding to invade our top creditors: China, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, UK, Luxembourg, and Brazil. Seize the capital city of each of these countries. Then claim them as territories of the US.

5) With these countries no longer existing, we would no longer have any debt. Restore taxes and spending to reasonable levels, while still maintaining a balanced budget.

Problem solved.

Thoughts?
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:07:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 9:06:18 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Everything I learned about politics I learned from playing Risk.

so...
make friends..
Kill enemies..

Backstab.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
1Historygenius
Posts: 1,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:08:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am surprised to find one more militaristic than Napoleon Bonaparte.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:09:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 9:07:42 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 5/25/2012 9:06:18 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Everything I learned about politics I learned from playing Risk.

so...
make friends..
Kill enemies..

Backstab.

and, slyly take australia early.. But don't get bogged down into fight someone on even ground for it... Save that for Europe or America.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:11:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 9:07:42 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 5/25/2012 9:06:18 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Everything I learned about politics I learned from playing Risk.

so...
make friends..
Kill enemies..

Backstab.

That,

As well as

Roving Mongol Hordes never win in the end.

If the player before you just got control of a continent, leave it up to someone else to break down his borders.

Europe sucks. Seriously. US = 5 for defending 3. Europe = 5 for defending 4? What the dealio is that about?

Australia is fun, but by the time you get across Asia the other side will have Nukes.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:13:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Whatever you do, never get involved in a land war in Asia. It's just not profitable in the early-game.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:14:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 9:13:35 PM, mongoose wrote:
Whatever you do, never get involved in a land war in Asia. It's just not profitable in the early-game.

you can only ever take asia if you've Basically already won.. or have a real strong alliance going.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:18:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 9:14:57 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 5/25/2012 9:13:35 PM, mongoose wrote:
Whatever you do, never get involved in a land war in Asia. It's just not profitable in the early-game.

you can only ever take asia if you've Basically already won.. or have a real strong alliance going.

There's a better way.

Start in Australia.

Wait until the player right before you gets pissed at the player right before him.

Take asia. You can't hold it. However, everybody leaves it to the player before you to break in. He gets mad that nobody else did, and leaves you alone out of 'spite'.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 10:11:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 9:27:16 PM, SayWhat wrote:
How is it in any way, shape, or form "lubricious?"

You tax plan would force all the businesses out of our countries. It would cripple our economy much worse than any debt could. All the countries you mentions would get the benefit when these businesses inevitably move. You cannot tax what is not there. Tax revenues will assuredly fall. There would be no surplus to spend. And even if there is any tax money to spend, you are directing spending to the military instead of using it to build infrastructure.

The invasions will make things much worse. Let us do some basic math. There are a little more than 300 million people in this country. China has over a billion.

Your plan would have us wage world war, however we do not have the people to wage war on so many fronts. Also considering that one of the countries you want to invade has three times as many people as we do. And as we learned from Napoloen and Nazi Germany, trying to conquer anything you see does not end well.

We also have to consider that the war is going end lives on both sides. Your plan would have us invade countries that never did us any harm. Such a war over a little debt would be absurd.

So in short, your plan would total our economy much more than any debt could. It would direct spending from profitable sectors to the military. It would start a war which destroys resources and lives of innocent people, and the war would be nearly impossibly to win.

Your plan is asinine.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 10:14:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
lu·bri·cious

1) Offensively displaying or intended to arouse sexual desire.
2) Smooth and slippery with oil or a similar substance.
Debate.org Moderator
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 10:17:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 10:14:16 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
lu·bri·cious

1) Offensively displaying or intended to arouse sexual desire.
2) Smooth and slippery with oil or a similar substance.

lol that is a bad typo on my part.

Although his plan made me surprisingly horny.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,241
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 10:18:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 10:17:24 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 5/25/2012 10:14:16 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
lu·bri·cious

1) Offensively displaying or intended to arouse sexual desire.
2) Smooth and slippery with oil or a similar substance.

lol that is a bad typo on my part.

Although his plan made me surprisingly horny.

haha it happens
Debate.org Moderator
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 10:57:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 9:01:53 PM, SayWhat wrote:
Here is a solution that you probably haven't heard anywhere else.

Steps

1) Balance the budget. However, instead of just a few tax increases and spending cuts, create a flat tax of 90% (allowing the increase to expire after four years). Then drastically cut discretionary spending and public sector jobs/wages (also allowing these cuts to expire after four years as well).

Maximum revenue according to the Laffur curve is 70%, anything over encourages sloth.


2) Spend the entire surplus (which would probably exceed 1 trillion) on our military.


There would be no damn surplus at 90% tax rate. Also debt = big as economy. You would need a 100% tax, but as it creates sloth we cannot fix it with taxes.

3) Reinstate the military draft.

Why not just cut welfare, entitlements, medicare/caid, which is a lot more then the military?


4) Use our millions of new troops and trillions in military funding to invade our top creditors: China, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, UK, Luxembourg, and Brazil. Seize the capital city of each of these countries. Then claim them as territories of the US.

Ever heard of nukes?


5) With these countries no longer existing, we would no longer have any debt. Restore taxes and spending to reasonable levels, while still maintaining a balanced budget.

Fail


Problem solved.

Thoughts?

Troll
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 11:18:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You have actually got to be kidding me. The 90% tax will drive out all businesses from America, leaving its economy depleted try. Too much taxation on profit decreases incentive to stay in the country. For many large businesses, it's a pretty easy task to re-locate.

Furthermore, it would completely obliterate all small businesses that would not be able to make any money off of their 10% share of their income

So basically, you destroy the whole economy, and then you invade the greatest superpowers of the modern millennium? Smart. This is the equivalent of Germany trying to take over the US right after its defeat in WWII. Economy crippled, infrastructure destroyed, and non-existent businesses.

I hope you are trolling.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Posts: 14,345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 11:30:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
LmfaoOoOoooOOoOooOOoOOooOOOooOoOO

A 90% tax rate ahahahahahaha!! Hey broski, riddle me this:

Our government is too retarded to balance a budget, conquer Iraq, or realize that invading nations pisses them off. You think they can control 90% of the economy? Newsflash: Communism has failed everywhere.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 11:38:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 11:30:23 PM, thett3 wrote:
LmfaoOoOoooOOoOooOOoOOooOOOooOoOO

A 90% tax rate ahahahahahaha!! Hey broski, riddle me this:

Our government is too retarded to balance a budget, conquer Iraq, or realize that invading nations pisses them off. You think they can control 90% of the economy? Newsflash: Communism has failed everywhere.

I didnt even read the OP past that. Now that I did, I'm convinced he's trolling.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 12:09:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/25/2012 11:38:15 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/25/2012 11:30:23 PM, thett3 wrote:
LmfaoOoOoooOOoOooOOoOOooOOOooOoOO

A 90% tax rate ahahahahahaha!! Hey broski, riddle me this:

Our government is too retarded to balance a budget, conquer Iraq, or realize that invading nations pisses them off. You think they can control 90% of the economy? Newsflash: Communism has failed everywhere.

I didnt even read the OP past that. Now that I did, I'm convinced he's trolling.

Me too. But I have to feed him. He looks hungry.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
thett3
Posts: 14,345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 12:12:36 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 12:09:29 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 5/25/2012 11:38:15 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/25/2012 11:30:23 PM, thett3 wrote:
LmfaoOoOoooOOoOooOOoOOooOOOooOoOO

A 90% tax rate ahahahahahaha!! Hey broski, riddle me this:

Our government is too retarded to balance a budget, conquer Iraq, or realize that invading nations pisses them off. You think they can control 90% of the economy? Newsflash: Communism has failed everywhere.

I didnt even read the OP past that. Now that I did, I'm convinced he's trolling.

Me too. But I have to feed him. He looks hungry.

The sad thing is, there are probably people who do support a 90% tax rate...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 12:14:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 12:12:36 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/26/2012 12:09:29 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 5/25/2012 11:38:15 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 5/25/2012 11:30:23 PM, thett3 wrote:
LmfaoOoOoooOOoOooOOoOOooOOOooOoOO

A 90% tax rate ahahahahahaha!! Hey broski, riddle me this:

Our government is too retarded to balance a budget, conquer Iraq, or realize that invading nations pisses them off. You think they can control 90% of the economy? Newsflash: Communism has failed everywhere.

I didnt even read the OP past that. Now that I did, I'm convinced he's trolling.

Me too. But I have to feed him. He looks hungry.

The sad thing is, there are probably people who do support a 90% tax rate...

Those people are fools. You should eat them.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Ameriman
Posts: 622
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 12:59:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My thoughts?

I would hate to hear what an impractical solution would look like...
We spend too much our time measuring compassion for those in needs by measuring inputs. How much money are we spending? How many programs are we creating? But we are not focusing on outcomes. Are these programs working? Are people getting out of poverty?
-Paul Ryan
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 1:46:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 12:59:20 AM, Ameriman wrote:
My thoughts?

I would hate to hear what an impractical solution would look like...

Kill everybody in the country... technically there can't be a debt if there is nobody to hold it...
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
SayWhat
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 8:35:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
And I seem to be getting a lot of crap for the 90% tax rate. Well okay, scratch that.

Steps

1) Balance the budget by ONLY cutting spending. Entitlements n' stuff.

2) Take out a few trillion in debt from China, and spend it all on our military.

Then continue with steps 3 - 5.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 7:16:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/26/2012 8:35:09 AM, SayWhat wrote:
And I seem to be getting a lot of crap for the 90% tax rate. Well okay, scratch that.

Steps

1) Balance the budget by ONLY cutting spending. Entitlements n' stuff.
You want to cut spending by 41%?! Are you delusional?

2) Take out a few trillion in debt from China, and spend it all on our military.
What does that mean? Take out debt? We don't even owe China a trillion dollars. If you mean go INTO debt (when the title of the thread says a SOLUTION to the debt), you are delusional. And of all things on the military?!

Then continue with steps 3 - 5.
Sapere Aude!