Jump to topic:

Seriously?

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:31:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Obama is trying to pass himself off as being responsible with government spending.

"Federal spending since I took office has risen at the slowest pace of any president in almost 60 years"

Or, in other words, "If you assume I had nothing to do with the huge bailouts of 2009, which were supposed to be one-time expenses... at least my everyday budget just barely tops that!"

Is anyone buying this?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:34:05 PM
At 5/25/2012 9:31:07 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Obama is trying to pass himself off as being responsible with government spending.

"Federal spending since I took office has risen at the slowest pace of any president in almost 60 years"

Or, in other words, "If you assume I had nothing to do with the huge bailouts of 2009, which were supposed to be one-time expenses... at least my everyday budget just barely tops that!"

Is anyone buying this?

Key word there boys.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 9:51:26 PM
A politician trying to make himself look good. No way. I was expecting him to state that he was an irresponsible president and a horrible president.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 10:20:57 PM
At 5/25/2012 9:51:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:
A politician trying to make himself look good. No way. I was expecting him to state that he was an irresponsible president and a horrible president.

The honesty would have been a welcome change.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 10:26:03 PM

Is anyone buying this?

I am. Obama's first fiscal year started FY 2010.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 10:29:24 PM
At 5/25/2012 10:26:03 PM, Contra wrote:

Is anyone buying this?

I am. Obama's first fiscal year started FY 2010.

Of course you are.
Open borders debate:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2012 11:11:17 PM
On the current track, Obama will have raised debt by about $6.5 billion at the end of his single term.

That is the equivalent of ALL PRESIDENTS BEFORE HIM COMBINED.

Anybody stating the debt as one of Obama's accomplishment is a down-right stupid moron.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 3:15:27 AM
At 5/25/2012 11:11:17 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
On the current track, Obama will have raised debt by about $6.5 billion at the end of his single term.

That is the equivalent of ALL PRESIDENTS BEFORE HIM COMBINED.

Anybody stating the debt as one of Obama's accomplishment is a down-right stupid moron.

Oooh, a stupid moron. Those are the worst kind.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 3:19:28 AM
At 5/25/2012 9:51:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:

If he's going to lie about something, maybe he shouldn't lie about something that's so obviously lie-ish.

The worst thing is, people actually are falling for it. He is so responsible for only going over budget by more than a trillion every year.

Tell you what, my annual budget is $35,000. If I had to spend 90,000 on a surgery this year, I sure as hello wouldn't think I was doing well if next year my budget was only $130,000.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 8:43:12 AM
Obama's claim is bogus, but the technique for covering up the truth is used repeatedly. It may qualify as a fallacy.

One problem is the cumulative debt. For calculus fans, that's the integral of past debts. It's a problem because the interest must be paid and it affects the ability to borrow in the future.

Another problem is the current debt. The U.S. must borrow or create $1.5 trillion above the $2.2 trillion in revenue collected. That's a problem because it grows the cumulative debt and it ultimately leads to inflation.

The rate of increase of the debt, the first derivative, has to be negative to solve the first two problems. Obama is bragging because it is not as large a positive number as past presidents. That's like bragging that the hole in the bottom of the boat has been kept to the same size. You're going to sink nonetheless.

The second derivative argument awaits. It goes, "The rate at which debt is increasing is slowing." or similar claims about unemployment or foreclosures or whatever. For any function that remains finite, one of the derivatives will be something to brag about.
cbrhawk1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 8:46:47 AM

Is anyone buying this?

This had better be "Pants on Fire" on politifact or I'm going to be very irritated.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2012 10:17:54 AM
At 5/26/2012 8:46:47 AM, cbrhawk1 wrote:

Is anyone buying this?

This had better be "Pants on Fire" on politifact or I'm going to be very irritated.

Mostly True

http://www.politifact.com...

I have very little respect for politifact, but this brought it down. Bush gets credit for all expenditures for bailouts, and Obama gets credit for any money paid back from the bailouts.

Regardless, it's like the example I posted earlier. If your normal annual budget is 35k, but last year you had a 125,000 surgery, you can't really say you did well with your budget if this year your normal budget is 165,000