Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Global warming skeptics know more...

OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:01:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
INB4 people bombard this thread with "Faux News is not a credible source."
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:09:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
57% to 56%!

Considering that the sample size gives a 2.5% margin of error, it sure seems like knowing whether or not a laser is focused sound waves has no bearing on whether or not you believe in AGW.

#mosteststupidestsurveyever,like,seriously
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:11:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Obviously we should be more concerned that only 56.5% of the population can answer questions like

How long does it take for the earth to go around the sun?

than AGW. Why bother saving the world for stupid people? :P
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:17:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 6:11:47 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Obviously we should be more concerned that only 56.5% of the population can answer questions like

How long does it take for the earth to go around the sun?

than AGW. Why bother saving the world for stupid people? :P

lol. I wonder if those were just the easy question though.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:25:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 5:55:00 PM, Gileandos wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com...

Yep, this just again shows that liberalism does not equal scientific education of the populace.

These were the questions the study asked:
"Electrons are smaller than atoms -- true or false?"

"How long does it take the Earth to go around the Sun? One day, one month, or one year?"

"Lasers work by focusing sound waves -- true or false?
"

and there were 22 questions in total. I don't care that this is from FOX News, but the details of the study tells me that it wasn't accurate enough in derive any legitimate conclusion.

They should have asked a question more like that were relevant to ecology and pollution if they were going to make a conclusion about global warming.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:29:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If you roll a die 1,000 times, how many times would you expect to come up with an even number? (A = Durrr, 20?) 58% answered correctly

The chances of winning a $10 lottery prize are 1%. About how many people would win if 1,000 people each bought 1 ticket? (A = Hmmm... 1% of $10 times 1,000 people + the chance of winning $1 million... 42!) 60% correct

A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost? (A=$0.10! Cause then the bat costs $1.10.. wait... I don't know, D?) 12%! 12%! That's sad.

Haha, a patch of lilypads doubles in size every day. It takes 48 days to cover the entire lake. How many days to cover half the lake? (A=I know, I know! 24!) 27% correct.

Can YOU spot the sarcasm in this post?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:29:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
the people that were worried about global warming score 56% and the people that weren't worried scored 57%. I can't believe they used a 1% margin to make a headline saying that skeptics know more.

This is the reason why many people distrust FOX News more than any other station.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:30:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 6:25:39 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 5/28/2012 5:55:00 PM, Gileandos wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com...

Yep, this just again shows that liberalism does not equal scientific education of the populace.

These were the questions the study asked:
"Electrons are smaller than atoms -- true or false?"

"How long does it take the Earth to go around the Sun? One day, one month, or one year?"

"Lasers work by focusing sound waves -- true or false?
"

and there were 22 questions in total. I don't care that this is from FOX News, but the details of the study tells me that it wasn't accurate enough in derive any legitimate conclusion.

They should have asked a question more like that were relevant to ecology and pollution if they were going to make a conclusion about global warming.

No, the news reports don't cover the study very well. It actually has a lot of good stuff in it.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:32:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 6:29:52 PM, 000ike wrote:
the people that were worried about global warming score 56% and the people that weren't worried scored 57%. I can't believe they used a 1% margin to make a headline saying that skeptics know more.

This is the reason why many people distrust FOX News more than any other station.

Ike, read it. They were quoting the study.

""As respondents' science literacy scores increased, their concern with climate change decreased," the paper, which was funded by the National Science Foundation, notes."
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:34:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Seriously? This question

How long does it take for the Earth to go around the Sun? [one day, one month, one year]

was answered correctly by 45%
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:53:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
And here I thought that the public global warming consensus was based on people actually looking at the models, doing the calculations out on heat transfer, and comparing results. Then studying ecological models on climate change and seeing what the effect is.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 6:57:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hey guys, maybe the people who think that capitalism caused the financial crisis and those who thought that government regulation caused the financial crisis both have a piss poor understanding of economics as well!!! (In actuality, this is really like the whole stupid nature vs. nurture debate since both have effects with complex interaction of how genes respond to the environment)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 7:28:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 5:55:00 PM, Gileandos wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com...

Yep, this just again shows that liberalism does not equal scientific education of the populace.

What this claims is that whether or not you believe in Global Warming simply has nothing to do with how informed you are. It has to do with politics, morality, and issues not relating to knowledge of established scientific knowledge.

So, this tells me that the environmentalists don't know squat about whether Global Warming is significant enough to case problems. The consensus of "Global Warming" is only that CO2 has a positive effect. It has NOTHING to do with how great the effect is or how much net feedback there is in the system.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 7:36:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 6:34:17 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Seriously? This question

How long does it take for the Earth to go around the Sun? [one day, one month, one year]

was answered correctly by 45%

If that's true, then this completely invalidates that poll
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 7:44:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 7:36:53 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
At 5/28/2012 6:34:17 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Seriously? This question

How long does it take for the Earth to go around the Sun? [one day, one month, one year]

was answered correctly by 45%

If that's true, then this completely invalidates that poll

Why does it invalidate the poll?

And yes, it's true.

http://www.nature.com...

supplementary information contains the questions asked.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 8:07:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 7:44:42 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 5/28/2012 7:36:53 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
At 5/28/2012 6:34:17 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Seriously? This question

How long does it take for the Earth to go around the Sun? [one day, one month, one year]

was answered correctly by 45%

If that's true, then this completely invalidates that poll

Why does it invalidate the poll?

And yes, it's true.

http://www.nature.com...

supplementary information contains the questions asked.

Ever wonder if the people taking the quiz just don't give a fvck and just write down random answers.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2012 9:32:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 6:29:52 PM, 000ike wrote:
the people that were worried about global warming score 56% and the people that weren't worried scored 57%. I can't believe they used a 1% margin to make a headline saying that skeptics know more.

This is the reason why many people distrust FOX News more than any other station.

The article was not insisting it did, it was insisting that the people who are not worried are not more ignorant about science. The article also mentions that the study showed that political leanings were more likely to influence one's opinion on GW, rather than scientific knowledge.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 9:18:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 7:44:42 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 5/28/2012 7:36:53 PM, cbrhawk1 wrote:
At 5/28/2012 6:34:17 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Seriously? This question

How long does it take for the Earth to go around the Sun? [one day, one month, one year]

was answered correctly by 45%

If that's true, then this completely invalidates that poll

Why does it invalidate the poll?

And yes, it's true.

http://www.nature.com...

supplementary information contains the questions asked.

I didn't realize they had a whole PDF on it, figured it was more of a meda type of survey.

Seems pretty valid although it is kind of a small sample size, I will admit. And, the fact that only 45% of people know what a year is shows an effect of that sample, I would say.

There are other questions that seem extremely easy that less than half got right. The fact that they did very thorough statistical analysis on this is good, but it's still a very questionable study, even looking at it as a skeptic.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 9:20:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Ever wonder if the people taking the quiz just don't give a fvck and just write down random answers.

I think on some of these, people just guessed. When taking part in a study where there is so much opinion and politics involved, I don't think people get into a test taking frame of mind, and when they got hit with some of these not-so-obvious questions, they put forth minimal effort.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 10:16:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Respondents who were relatively less worried about global warming got 57 percent of them right, on average, just barely outscoring those whose who saw global warming as a bigger threat. They got 56 percent of the questions correct.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com...

Lmfao.

Sounds like no one really knows what they're talking about.

What a surprise.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 10:47:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The poll says nothing about the validity of the scientific claims. What is does is counter the claim that "only stupid people fail to believe in a CO2 crisis." Given the enormous effort promoting CO2 crisis, it's remarkable. I think what it reflects is that the claims made a decade ago about out-of-control temperature have not proved true, and that fact has had an effect on public perception.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:05:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Electrons are smaller than atoms -- true or false?"
"How long does it take the Earth to go around the Sun? One day, one month, or one year?"
"Lasers work by focusing sound waves -- true or false?"

I think the lesson to take away from this is that the general American public is not remotely informed enough to comment on any scientific issue.
cbrhawk1
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:15:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/29/2012 11:05:42 AM, Kinesis wrote:
"Electrons are smaller than atoms -- true or false?"
"How long does it take the Earth to go around the Sun? One day, one month, or one year?"
"Lasers work by focusing sound waves -- true or false?"

I think the lesson to take away from this is that the general American public is not remotely informed enough to comment on any scientific issue.

Funny that you say that considering the United States spends more on AGW research than every other country combined on the university and governmental levels.

Also, we landed on the moon and you didn't, so European snobs can kiss my butt cheeks if they truly think they are any better than others.
"All science is 'wrong.'" ~ drafterman
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 7:53:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/29/2012 10:47:26 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
The poll says nothing about the validity of the scientific claims. What is does is counter the claim that "only stupid people fail to believe in a CO2 crisis." Given the enormous effort promoting CO2 crisis, it's remarkable. I think what it reflects is that the claims made a decade ago about out-of-control temperature have not proved true, and that fact has had an effect on public perception.

Spot on.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 8:01:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/28/2012 5:55:00 PM, Gileandos wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com...

Yep, this just again shows that liberalism does not equal scientific education of the populace.

Does not surprise me. I used to be an alarmist weirdo until I read a few books on the subject.

Am I surprised? No.

Does this itself refute the AGW hypothesis? No.

Is this poll reliable? Yes, but as the margins where close I think its non conclusive.

Was the study cited later accurate? One study may be accurate, but other studies must be used to make a conclusion.

Overall:

If polls later show skeptics no more by larger margins I would not be surprised. As this one is too close to call, I say no surprise but non conclusive. And it refutes nothing, as the article points out.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 8:26:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/29/2012 8:01:33 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 5/28/2012 5:55:00 PM, Gileandos wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com...

Yep, this just again shows that liberalism does not equal scientific education of the populace.

Does not surprise me. I used to be an alarmist weirdo until I read a few books on the subject.

Am I surprised? No.

Does this itself refute the AGW hypothesis? No.

Is this poll reliable? Yes, but as the margins where close I think its non conclusive.

Was the study cited later accurate? One study may be accurate, but other studies must be used to make a conclusion.

Overall:

If polls later show skeptics no more by larger margins I would not be surprised. As this one is too close to call, I say no surprise but non conclusive. And it refutes nothing, as the article points out.

I also used to be a global warming alarmist, when I was 15. After a talk with my grandfather (ex-NASA scientist) on the subject I began to rethink the whole Global warming concept. I objectively did research and found those who opposed the concept of man made global warming had a stronger argument than those who believed in it.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle