Jump to topic:

All political systems are pure bull.

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:33:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I submit that anyone who subscribes to any sort of political ideal or label is full of bullsh*t.

In order to give a more specific definition: This set includes people who call themselves Liberals, Conservatives, Independents, Libertarians, Democrats, Republicans, etc. Anyone and everyone who can apply a label on their political beliefs, is full of bullsh*t.

My rationale is that for every individual, no matter how intelligent or well-versed you may be, will eventually abandon his or her individual thinking and start to bias themselves towards their accepted label. A person who could have a fair mix of ideas stemming from two or three different "labels" will eventually move towards whichever one he or she deems most fitting, for no better reason than the fact that he or she eventually becomes brainwashed by the pleasure of being part of an exclusively labeled group.

I submit that eventually, a person's political ideas become nothing more than a plea for social recognition. Nobody who labels themselves a certain political direction really knows or applies politics in any practical or efficient way, much like sports fans or band groupies.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:39:40 AM
At 5/29/2012 11:33:13 AM, Kleptin wrote:
I submit that anyone who subscribes to any sort of political ideal or label is full of bullsh*t.

In order to give a more specific definition: This set includes people who call themselves Liberals, Conservatives, Independents, Libertarians, Democrats, Republicans, etc. Anyone and everyone who can apply a label on their political beliefs, is full of bullsh*t.

My rationale is that for every individual, no matter how intelligent or well-versed you may be, will eventually abandon his or her individual thinking and start to bias themselves towards their accepted label. A person who could have a fair mix of ideas stemming from two or three different "labels" will eventually move towards whichever one he or she deems most fitting, for no better reason than the fact that he or she eventually becomes brainwashed by the pleasure of being part of an exclusively labeled group.

I submit that eventually, a person's political ideas become nothing more than a plea for social recognition. Nobody who labels themselves a certain political direction really knows or applies politics in any practical or efficient way, much like sports fans or band groupies.

I'll agree that the extremes have certainly bought into a worldview. However, you can't really escape political labels and most of us have both conservative and liberal beliefs. Can someone really live without a (political) worldview? Also, the social recognition point seems valid. But does this dispel the validity of these views? No. Political labels are unavoidable just given our language and our tendency to categorize.
Ron-Paul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:43:05 AM

Pure bull.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:55:22 AM

To a degree. I have political ideologies, but I do not subscribe to any party.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:55:25 AM
At 5/29/2012 11:39:40 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I'll agree that the extremes have certainly bought into a worldview. However, you can't really escape political labels and most of us have both conservative and liberal beliefs. Can someone really live without a (political) worldview? Also, the social recognition point seems valid. But does this dispel the validity of these views? No. Political labels are unavoidable just given our language and our tendency to categorize.

I'm basically directing this at people who feel strongly enough about their label to defend it. They have ingrained their political ideas into the definition of their sense of self. That's why people who constantly talk politics have a tendency to be obnoxious and stubborn.

Can someone live without a political worldview? It depends on what you mean. People develop opinions about how the world should be, in favor to them or their ideals. To say this is the same as declaring yourself a Liberal, a Conservative, a Democrat, or a Republican, is idiotic. When you start to fall in love with the label, you lose your individual view of the world, and you become heavily biased. Your opinions no longer reflect your reality. The more staunch a proponent of a political group, the more full of sh*t I consider that person to be.

Thus, my focus isn't on debunking the validity of the ideas that people promote on the part of their political label. I didn't say that all political systems are pure lies. I said that they're pure bull sh*t, because that's exactly what the proponents are doing: Spreading insincere, ignorant, unrealistic, impersonal bullsh*t.

The core ideas of any political system are probably very solid, just like how sports teams are all made up of some really good players. It's the fans that are full of the bullsh*t.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:56:33 AM
Read this, Kleptin: [http://www.cracked.com...]
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:57:13 AM
At 5/29/2012 11:56:33 AM, MouthWash wrote:
Read this, Kleptin: [http://www.cracked.com...]

HAHA, I love cracked! I read this one a while back as well. Good post.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 11:59:26 AM
At 5/29/2012 11:55:25 AM, Kleptin wrote:

I'm basically directing this at people who feel strongly enough about their label to defend it. They have ingrained their political ideas into the definition of their sense of self. That's why people who constantly talk politics have a tendency to be obnoxious and stubborn.

Can someone live without a political worldview? It depends on what you mean. People develop opinions about how the world should be, in favor to them or their ideals. To say this is the same as declaring yourself a Liberal, a Conservative, a Democrat, or a Republican, is idiotic. When you start to fall in love with the label, you lose your individual view of the world, and you become heavily biased. Your opinions no longer reflect your reality. The more staunch a proponent of a political group, the more full of sh*t I consider that person to be.

Thus, my focus isn't on debunking the validity of the ideas that people promote on the part of their political label. I didn't say that all political systems are pure lies. I said that they're pure bull sh*t, because that's exactly what the proponents are doing: Spreading insincere, ignorant, unrealistic, impersonal bullsh*t.

The core ideas of any political system are probably very solid, just like how sports teams are all made up of some really good players. It's the fans that are full of the bullsh*t.

Sigged
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 12:11:16 PM
That cracked article was great! I think I'm going to bookmark the site so I can procrastinate in preparation for my exam in two days.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 12:17:08 PM
Can someone live without a political worldview?
Perhaps, but why would I? Sociopolitics could affect my life more than anything else. I'll be straightforward and oppose what I deem as wrong, and support what I deem as right.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 12:22:14 PM
At 5/29/2012 12:17:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
Can someone live without a political worldview?
Perhaps, but why would I? Sociopolitics could affect my life more than anything else. I'll be straightforward and oppose what I deem as wrong, and support what I deem as right.

His point was that it caused biases and caused people to think illogically. What you just said doesn't argue against that.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 12:24:28 PM
Apathy FTW!
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 12:32:23 PM

People who constantly talk about politics are obnoxious as fcuk, I agree completely. Generally, when people develop ideas about how the world ought to function at least in the US they identify with either the Republican, Democratic, or Libertarian parties. Nor is each stance just independent - there are beliefs behind each stance that generally become embodied into ideology (which is what I think you think is stupid.)

I don't consider myself an ideologue, but I certainly have strong opinions on certain topics, don't you? A lot of political ideas are imbued with philosophical or psychological conceptions of self or society. When you get these kind of similarities you do form ideology and certain stances tend to be grouped together. It would be pretty unusual to see someone support gay marriage but be opposed to abortion.

I guess we're kind of in the same boat. I consider talking extensively about politics irl as pretty obnoxious and I understand what you mean by that.
westernmarch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 12:34:21 PM
At 5/29/2012 12:32:23 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

People who constantly talk about politics are obnoxious as fcuk, I agree completely. Generally, when people develop ideas about how the world ought to function at least in the US they identify with either the Republican, Democratic, or Libertarian parties. Nor is each stance just independent - there are beliefs behind each stance that generally become embodied into ideology (which is what I think you think is stupid.)

I don't consider myself an ideologue, but I certainly have strong opinions on certain topics, don't you? A lot of political ideas are imbued with philosophical or psychological conceptions of self or society. When you get these kind of similarities you do form ideology and certain stances tend to be grouped together. It would be pretty unusual to see someone support gay marriage but be opposed to abortion.

I guess we're kind of in the same boat. I consider talking extensively about politics irl as pretty obnoxious and I understand what you mean by that.

You probs hate D.C
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 1:24:59 PM

I have to disagree. That may be true with some simple minded people, but not everyone is as easily brainwashed.
Take me for example, I don't believe what I believe because of my political leaning, I lean where I lean politically because of what I already believe. My views are constantly evolving, and because of that I have switched ideologies several times in the last 6 years, from liberal in 2006 to anacho-socialist in 2007, to anarcho-capitalist in 2008, to Classic Liberal aka Libertarian in 2009. I'm still a Classic Liberal, but I lean a little towards (modern)Liberal-Conservatism a bit more these days.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 2:21:29 PM
At 5/29/2012 2:10:34 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Probably. But I think that's more than politics. It's just in-grouping that we do for literally everything. I guess it's some adaptive mechanism where you always assign loyalty post facto to whatever you've become comfortable/safe/whatever with.

Humans need and create labels in an attempt to rationalize things. Take for example the flue; there are many strands and variations of flue, we label it the flue as an attempt to logically explain the symptoms. 2 separate illnesses are both considered the flue, even though there is variation amongst them. Another example would be light; there are many types of light, Solar light is fundamentally different than artificial light, and there are variations within the artificial light category.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 2:44:49 PM

Yes, even the most open minded atheist who values free thinking and questioning beliefs will eventually start to bias themselves towards that label. If you are a thinking person, and have views on things, the overwhelming odds are that the views you attain have been attained and popularized and turned into some kind of movement by someone before you. Yeah, you're going to associate yourself with this group/movement and be inclined to trust them more. You seem to dislike it but it's inevitable as part of our human nature to pass judgement/have opinions on things; eventually those judgements will lead you to certain conclusions, which will inevitably lead you to associate more with certain groups than others. 'Tis unavoidable.

As humans, we are judgement making creatures. We make judgements in order to survive and understand the world and the events and interactions within it. This requires you to make conclusions about ideas you think are good or bad. It's just how we are by nature. If you grant that we can have opinions/judgement on things as I assume you do, you should also grant that those opinions will lead to a closer association with one group than another. For example, if after study and introspection you come to the conclusion that you think government should not intervene in the economy or our personal lives, you will obviously trust those libertarians who are socially liberal and fiscally conservative more than fascists or communists.

The process you described is natural and inevitable as we are thinking creatures. Thinking leads to studying which leads to conclusions which leads to trusting some ideas/systems/sources more than others.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2012 2:52:24 PM
The whole post is about how political systems are bad because of the inevitable bias/lack of questioning they cause. But, as Richard Dawkins says: "By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". After a certain point of study and research on a given subject perhaps a bit of bias is desirable - you need to know where your opinions and judgements lie, and as such you need to know the people/systems you can most reliably trust to tell you what you deem is the truth.

Again, this is all an extension of the fact that we are thinking beings by nature, which leads us to pass judgement on things, which leads us to associate more with some groups than others, which is necessary in order to survive and understand the universe (and the things that happen within it).
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 9:11:09 AM
At 5/29/2012 1:24:59 PM, DanT wrote:
I have to disagree. That may be true with some simple minded people, but not everyone is as easily brainwashed.
Take me for example, I don't believe what I believe because of my political leaning, I lean where I lean politically because of what I already believe. My views are constantly evolving, and because of that I have switched ideologies several times in the last 6 years, from liberal in 2006 to anacho-socialist in 2007, to anarcho-capitalist in 2008, to Classic Liberal aka Libertarian in 2009. I'm still a Classic Liberal, but I lean a little towards (modern)Liberal-Conservatism a bit more these days.

Maybe you aren't, and you never have been, any of those things. Maybe you should just say that you have certain political beliefs and end it at that.

While I don't doubt that you are extremely intelligent, I submit that there is little to no sincerity or originality in your views. The fact that you've jumped from label to label instead of fluxing on a few points, shows that you were simply convinced by another person with a different label time and time again.

People have argued that labels make it easier to explain what you believe, but I also think that's bullsh*t. In most cases, applying a label to yourself gives out just as much faulty information about yourself as it does true, and if you fit the term close enough for accuracy, chances are, you're a victim of social brainwashing.

The *want* to be labeled as a believer of something is sometimes just as strong as holding those actual beliefs. It's just less legitimate.

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2012 9:17:55 AM
At 5/29/2012 2:52:24 PM, jat93 wrote:
The whole post is about how political systems are bad because of the inevitable bias/lack of questioning they cause. But, as Richard Dawkins says: "By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". After a certain point of study and research on a given subject perhaps a bit of bias is desirable - you need to know where your opinions and judgements lie, and as such you need to know the people/systems you can most reliably trust to tell you what you deem is the truth.

Again, this is all an extension of the fact that we are thinking beings by nature, which leads us to pass judgement on things, which leads us to associate more with some groups than others, which is necessary in order to survive and understand the universe (and the things that happen within it).

Is it necessary and inevitable? Yes. I'm not trying to shift anything. I'm just pointing something out. The force and rigor with which most people on this site defend their beliefs, mostly from the inhabitants of the religion and politics forums, has always led to spirited debate. The only problem is that I've become far less interested in *what* people believe and far more interested in *why* people hold those beliefs.

The longer I am on this site, the more convinced I am that originality is nearly extinct, and I find a very strong correlation between the force of argument and the concentration of insincere, illegitimate bullsh*t contained within it.

Whereas this is perfectly OK in Religion and Philosophy, I find this particularly annoying in Politics. I'd draw the analogy of a large group of virgins talking about hypothetical sexual experiences, then forming tight groups based on preferred fetish and position.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:45:04 AM
Your post reminds me of Neil deGrasse Tyson's spiel about labels.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 2:00:54 AM
I don't conform to any label. In fact, I go against what the standard definition of the label entails and make the label conform to me and not the other way around. Also, there's no group for what my views entail.

I use labels for descriptive purposes, not prescriptive purposes.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:14:09 AM
Now Kleptin, all that is left is to take your assertion to it's furthest conclusion.

Then you will know the Goddess.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:38:29 AM
At 6/1/2012 3:14:09 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Now Kleptin, all that is left is to take your assertion to it's furthest conclusion.

Then you will know the Goddess.

+1

This thread is gold.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:58:20 AM

Thank you. I've been saying this for a long time, and political parties are merely tribal throw backs.

I love the bumper sticker "Vote Democrat" - meaning, don't worry about who it is that you're voting for or what they believe in, or will likely do; don't bother thinking beyond the letter that goes with their name, and if it's a "D" vote for that person.

Problem is, it's really effective, and preserves a power structure by way of the masses of useful idiots who will march in lock-step with their fellow idiots.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 4:07:34 AM
At 6/1/2012 2:00:54 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I don't conform to any label. In fact, I go against what the standard definition of the label entails and make the label conform to me and not the other way around. Also, there's no group for what my views entail.

I use labels for descriptive purposes, not prescriptive purposes.

Geo, I think everyone would say you don't conform to anything or anyone.