Jump to topic:

Pro Prohibition

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:19:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just letting everyone know that I am in favor of Prohibition.

I am telling you this so that when you're a pro drug fanatic and you snidely and often smugly reply to me "Well what about alcohol it also causes _____?" you will know in advance that I am in favor of banning alcohol as well.

Just to make it clear that my anti-drug stance also includes alcohol. I know its radical.

I also am curious to see people's reactions.

Thoughts?
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:20:21 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:19:17 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I am telling you this so that when you're a pro drug fanatic and you snidely and often smugly reply to me "Well what about alcohol it also causes _____?" you will know in advance that I am in favor of banning alcohol as well.

Just to make it clear that my anti-drug stance also includes alcohol. I know its radical.

Thoughts?

You're in favor of a practice that would serve to make already bad people more rich and powerful?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:21:37 PM
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:21:56 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:20:21 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Thoughts?

You're in favor of a practice that would serve to make already bad people more rich and powerful?

Sure. As long as alcohol isn't legal.

I love how people think it's better to legalize things than deal with them. You know you'd save a lot of government gas if you just legalized rape and murder too. Much less driving around arresting people.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:25:04 PM
Awesome! I am also in favor of raising crime rates, giving monopolies to criminal organizations, destroying entire sectors of the economy, depriving people of personal choices about their own lifestyle and even going as far as to destroy the lives of millions of harmless individuals by locking them in a small cage for years if they don't comply! :D

I'm glad you're on the right side here.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:25:38 PM
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing year after year and expecting different results" ~ Ben Franklin
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:29:18 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:25:38 PM, DanT wrote:
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing year after year and expecting different results" ~ Ben Franklin

I've seen that quote many times and I've never seen it attributed to Benjamin Franklin. Usually Albert Einstein.

Which inspired my own parody:
"Insanity is repeating the same quote over and over again and expecting it to sound witty"
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:30:03 PM

Thoughts?

So, do you also support banning:

Guns?

Sugar?

Tobacco?

What about Nyquil?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:31:08 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:30:03 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Thoughts?

Guns?

Sugar?

Tobacco?

What about Nyquil?

Don't forget coffee.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:33:12 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:25:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Awesome! I am also in favor of raising crime rates, giving monopolies to criminal organizations, destroying entire sectors of the economy, depriving people of personal choices about their own lifestyle and even going as far as to destroy the lives of millions of harmless individuals by locking them in a small cage for years if they don't comply! :D

Lmao.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:33:53 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:31:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Thoughts?

Guns?

Sugar?

Tobacco?

What about Nyquil?

Don't forget coffee.

And bath salts.

And glue.

And Zyrtec.

And anything that has ever been used to harm another human being, or to harm one's self.

And puppies.

CP is against puppies!?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:36:04 PM
Ya what about caffeine
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:36:07 PM

Thoughts?

Guns?

Sugar?

Tobacco?

What about Nyquil?

What about gas?

Sharpies?

Computer dusters?

Glue?

Wild lettuce?

Coleus?

Nutmeg?

Mouthwash?

Rubbing Alcohol?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:38:20 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:25:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:

See CP? This is why Freedo is DDO's dictator.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:38:43 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:36:07 PM, Oryus wrote:

Thoughts?

Guns?

Sugar?

Tobacco?

What about Nyquil?

What about gas?

Sharpies?

Computer dusters?

Glue?

Wild lettuce?

Coleus?

Nutmeg?

Mouthwash?

Rubbing Alcohol?

Speaking of rubbing alcohol, I'm thirsty...

brb
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:38:45 PM

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

- Prohibition doesn't work. At least not to the extent that would justify the policy. If there are people who want to do drugs, they will do them, and prohibition won't stop them. Not always, but generally. And on top of this it will give those who do the drugs regardless a negative association with the law/police while might lead them to do things that are illegal that actually do harm other people.

- It's expensive as hell. Too lazy to look up exact stats now but this can be easily searched on Google or something. Its expenses, it must be noted, are not only limited to the cost of enforcement, but also the massively increased incarceration rates that come with jailing drug users and sellers. The taxpayer picks up the tab. I'd think you, a fiscal conservative, would relate to this. Is imprisoning people for a personal health choice that needn't harm other people and can even have benefits/lack detriments in some cases really something we can afford at this point?

- One of the most fundamental ideas upon which America was founded is that each citizen should have the right to do what they want with their body and property, as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others. One infringes on another's rights by harming them or stealing what that person rightfully owns. Quite simply, if you're not infringing on anyone else's rights, on what basis does anyone have a right to stop you? Because doing certain drugs will inevitably lead to the usage of heavier ones? Because it's "bad for you"? Well, 1) who gets to decide what's good and what's bad for every citizen, 2) who says they know better than you about what should go in your body, and 3) how do they have the right to dictate your own personal health choices?

Life is full of choices – sometimes we make good ones and sometimes we mess up. But it's our right to mess up, assuming we don't mess things up for anyone else aside from ourselves, and not the government's job to parent and "baby" us the way it sees fit. Unless of course we live in a country where each citizen is the government's property, and I don't think many Americans believe that's how individuals should exist in a just society. But again, how is living under drug prohibition anything but living as the government's property? Think about it. Individuals have the right to make dangerous choices - though it should be noted that drugs like marijuana are substantially less dangerous and far more beneficial than legal drugs like alcohol, or smoking cigarettes, etc.

I would think you would sympathize with the above paragraph being that you consider yourself a conservative.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:40:45 PM
Chocolate affects the mind as well..

Its the combo of caffeine and sugar.. pretty hardcore..

Anyways, I think prohibition has proven to already not work with regards to alcohol, and the results of the 'war on drugs' isn't exactly promising..
Debate.org Moderator
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:42:18 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:38:45 PM, jat93 wrote:

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

- Prohibition doesn't work. At least not to the extent that would justify the policy. If there are people who want to do drugs, they will do them, and prohibition won't stop them. Not always, but generally. And on top of this it will give those who do the drugs regardless a negative association with the law/police while might lead them to do things that are illegal that actually do harm other people.

- It's expensive as hell. Too lazy to look up exact stats now but this can be easily searched on Google or something. Its expenses, it must be noted, are not only limited to the cost of enforcement, but also the massively increased incarceration rates that come with jailing drug users and sellers. The taxpayer picks up the tab. I'd think you, a fiscal conservative, would relate to this. Is imprisoning people for a personal health choice that needn't harm other people and can even have benefits/lack detriments in some cases really something we can afford at this point?

- One of the most fundamental ideas upon which America was founded is that each citizen should have the right to do what they want with their body and property, as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others. One infringes on another's rights by harming them or stealing what that person rightfully owns. Quite simply, if you're not infringing on anyone else's rights, on what basis does anyone have a right to stop you? Because doing certain drugs will inevitably lead to the usage of heavier ones? Because it's "bad for you"? Well, 1) who gets to decide what's good and what's bad for every citizen, 2) who says they know better than you about what should go in your body, and 3) how do they have the right to dictate your own personal health choices?

Life is full of choices – sometimes we make good ones and sometimes we mess up. But it's our right to mess up, assuming we don't mess things up for anyone else aside from ourselves, and not the government's job to parent and "baby" us the way it sees fit. Unless of course we live in a country where each citizen is the government's property, and I don't think many Americans believe that's how individuals should exist in a just society. But again, how is living under drug prohibition anything but living as the government's property? Think about it. Individuals have the right to make dangerous choices - though it should be noted that drugs like marijuana are substantially less dangerous and far more beneficial than legal drugs like alcohol, or smoking cigarettes, etc.

I would think you would sympathize with the above paragraph being that you consider yourself a conservative.

At the very least I should think even people in support of drug prohibition would differentiate between beneficial/not necessarily dangerous drugs like marijuana and possibly alcohol in small doses, and drugs that are confirmed to be awful and dangerous for your body under all circumstances and/or that make you do ridiculously stupid and dangerous things that endanger other people as well.

It would seem logical to make such a distinction. Yet marijuana is currently grouped with drugs like heroin and cocaine in the eyes of the law. What can possibly justify this?
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:42:36 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:40:45 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Chocolate affects the mind as well..

Its the combo of caffeine and sugar.. pretty hardcore..

Anyways, I think prohibition has proven to already not work with regards to alcohol, and the results of the 'war on drugs' isn't exactly promising..

Chocolate once made me eat a puppies ear. True story.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:45:43 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:42:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
CP isn't referring to all drugs - but those that impair one's mind of rational thought.

Prohibition of alcohol in the US has already proven to not be a good idea. Though I respect his belief and anyone who shares it, it's difficult for me to share that position with all the negative aspects that came with it. Prohibition in a country like the US, where people demand a lot of liberty, is a very difficult thing to enforce, and the unforeseen consequences are sometimes worse than the initial problem.
Debate.org Moderator
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:47:38 PM

Thoughts?

Guns?

Sugar?

Tobacco?

What about Nyquil?

A ban on tobacco would be hilarious (for me anyway).
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:47:40 PM

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you have too much faith in the supposed rational mind of sober man.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:49:15 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:45:43 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Prohibition of alcohol in the US has already proven to not be a good idea. Though I respect his belief and anyone who shares it, it's difficult for me to share that position with all the negative aspects that came with it. Prohibition in a country like the US, where people demand a lot of liberty, is a very difficult thing to enforce, and the unforeseen consequences are sometimes worse than the initial problem.
Indeed. I believed in strict prohibition, now I'm very liberal-minded on that subject. I think people should refrain, but the government shouldn't tell them what their bodies can be allowed to take. Everyone can mind their own businesses.

People take drugs and alcohol even where it's banned. Iran and Saudi Arabia are good examples.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:50:37 PM
And if the cannibal man actually took marijuana, he'd be watching The Hills Have Eyes on his sofa and barely have violent thoughts.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:51:59 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:49:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 5/30/2012 5:45:43 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Indeed. I believed in strict prohibition, now I'm very liberal-minded on that subject. I think people should refrain, but the government shouldn't tell them what their bodies can be allowed to take. Everyone can mind their own businesses.

People take drugs and alcohol even where it's banned. Iran and Saudi Arabia are good examples.

Yeah, I believe we concur on this subject. I agree people should refrain from doing anything that potentially harms them, but the solutions the US specifically and other societies in general have come up with to force people to be mindful of this, hasn't proven to be effective. In many cases it has made the situation worse.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:53:14 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:50:37 PM, Mirza wrote:
And if the cannibal man actually took marijuana, he'd be watching The Hills Have Eyes on his sofa and barely have violent thoughts.

haha yeah.. I don't think marijuana is possible to be the culprit here. And if it is, it's the 1 in a billion people who react unlike anyone else.
Debate.org Moderator
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:53:14 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:47:40 PM, Ren wrote:

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you have too much faith in the supposed rational mind of sober man.

THIS

What a good point. As if we're all so safe and rational when we're sober, anyway. Besides I don't understand how conservatives can make arguments for gun rights on the basis that "guns don't kill people - people kill people" and then so enthusiastically back prohibition on the basis that drugs harm other people and stuff
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2012 5:59:49 PM
At 5/30/2012 5:50:37 PM, Mirza wrote:

lol truth
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord