Jump to topic:

No Opportunities for the Homeless

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 7:14:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I recently discovered that most employers are required by law to have two forms of state-issued identification per employee. I understand that the rationale was to limit the opportunities for illegal immigrants and thereby disincentivize immigration, but this process does nothing but harm the homeless because the illegal immigrants are usually able to obtain employment illegally. Contrary to popular opinion, most homeless individuals are not dilatory bums; most find it difficult to obtain legal employment because they do not have the necessary identification, and even if they do, very few people are willing to hire homeless individuals due to stigma.

Thoughts on how we can improve the situation? My guess is that we should provide some sort of stable housing. I do realize that programs exist for this, but they obviously do not help very many people.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:06:25 AM
I don't know, maybe we should ban gay marriage and abortion to improve the morale of this nation and that'll inspire the homeless to get the necessary skills to succeed in the wokrplace/drop their drug and alcohol addictions.

The fcuk happened to you? You trolling?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:22:09 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:06:25 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I don't know, maybe we should ban gay marriage and abortion to improve the morale of this nation and that'll inspire the homeless to get the necessary skills to succeed in the wokrplace/drop their drug and alcohol addictions.

The reason that they have the addictions in the first place is that they have to deal with the mental trauma that results from the horrible conditions that they live in.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:28:08 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:22:09 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

The reason that they have the addictions in the first place is that they have to deal with the mental trauma that results from the horrible conditions that they live in.

I think that's an oversimplification. People become homeless for many reasons, but a good number of them have pre-existing mental illnesses and addictions that helped get them there - not that this makes them any less of a person or means that their suffering is justified.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:32:01 AM
I'm not sure that any job requiring two forms of ID is the kind of job a homeless person would be qualified for anyway.

When I had my first job at Boston Market, I don't remember providing rigorous identification.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:34:59 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:28:08 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

I think that's an oversimplification. People become homeless for many reasons, but a good number of them have pre-existing mental illnesses and addictions that helped get them there - not that this makes them any less of a person or means that their suffering is justified.

This is a fair point, but I would argue that many homeless people also become addicts as a result of their conditions.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:35:41 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:32:01 AM, drafterman wrote:
I'm not sure that any job requiring two forms of ID is the kind of job a homeless person would be qualified for anyway.

When I had my first job at Boston Market, I don't remember providing rigorous identification.

When did you start this job? Perhaps standards have changed since then. I am fairly certain that the homeless are qualified to have hotel jobs.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:35:55 AM

Not true, I'm working for the summer at TJ Maxx and for orientation they require two forms of ID just for an entry level, minimum wage position. The homeless should still have at least 1 form of ID on them, it's very basic and makes it really difficult for employers if they can't confirm your identity.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:36:43 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:35:55 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Not true, I'm working for the summer at TJ Maxx and for orientation they require two forms of ID just for an entry level, minimum wage position. The homeless should still have at least 1 form of ID on them, it's very basic and makes it really difficult for employers if they can't confirm your identity.

The problem with this is that many homeless individuals have their IDs stolen/taken away by the police.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:36:46 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:34:59 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

This is a fair point, but I would argue that many homeless people also become addicts as a result of their conditions.

I know several addicts at my school, and they are not at all homeless.

Addictions, I would argue, are what leads homelessness, or happens more often before, not the other way around.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:37:11 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:36:43 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

The problem with this is that many homeless individuals have their IDs stolen/taken away by the police.

Um, since when?

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:45:02 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:35:41 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

When did you start this job?

1997, lol. Before some people here were even born. I rode my Chevrolet Velociraptor to work, too.

Perhaps standards have changed since then. I am fairly certain that the homeless are qualified to have hotel jobs.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:46:36 AM

Not true,

Which part isn't true?

That I'm not sure that any job requiring two forms of ID is the kind of job a homeless person would be qualified for anyway?

Or the part that I don't remember providing irgorous identification to get a job at Boston Market?

I'd be interested in how you can contradict me on what I'm sure about and what I remember.

I'm working for the summer at TJ Maxx and for orientation they require two forms of ID just for an entry level, minimum wage position. The homeless should still have at least 1 form of ID on them, it's very basic and makes it really difficult for employers if they can't confirm your identity.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:46:39 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:45:02 AM, drafterman wrote:

1997, lol. Before some people here were even born. I rode my Chevrolet Velociraptor to work, too.

Was it before March 5th?

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:49:18 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:46:39 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Was it before March 5th?

Probably. It was definitely before May.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:50:15 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:49:18 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/1/2012 8:46:39 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Was it before March 5th?

Probably. It was definitely before May.

Yeah, I wasn't born yet. Lol.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:51:01 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:36:46 AM, OberHerr wrote:

Addictions, I would argue, are what leads homelessness, or happens more often before, not the other way around.

Some people become homeless because they have fights with their parents/are destroyed by financial circumstances. I had a friend who ran away because of this. He used to help me with anti-drug campaigning at school (his father was an addict, so he hated drugs), and he has recently turned to crack as a means of protecting his sanity.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 8:51:56 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:51:01 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Some people become homeless because they have fights with their parents/are destroyed by financial circumstances. I had a friend who ran away because of this. He used to help me with anti-drug campaigning at school (his father was an addict, so he hated drugs), and he has recently turned to crack as a means of protecting his sanity.

There are by far better ways. I get he reasons, but if you can, I would suggest telling him to turn to something else.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:00:14 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:37:11 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/1/2012 8:36:43 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Um, since when?

It's very common in Nashville. I would suggest that you do some research.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:01:10 AM
At 6/1/2012 8:51:56 AM, OberHerr wrote:

There are by far better ways. I get he reasons, but if you can, I would suggest telling him to turn to something else.

I have not been in contact with him since he was expelled from the school :(
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 9:55:06 AM
I don't know, maybe we should ban gay marriage and abortion to improve the morale of this nation and that'll inspire the homeless to get the necessary skills to succeed in the workplace/drop their drug and alcohol addictions.

That is so not true. Addiction may result in homelessness but homelessness doesn't result in addiction.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:01:49 AM
At 6/1/2012 7:14:15 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I recently discovered that most employers are required by law to have two forms of state-issued identification per employee. I understand that the rationale was to limit the opportunities for illegal immigrants and thereby disincentivize immigration, but this process does nothing but harm the homeless because the illegal immigrants are usually able to obtain employment illegally. Contrary to popular opinion, most homeless individuals are not dilatory bums; most find it difficult to obtain legal employment because they do not have the necessary identification, and even if they do, very few people are willing to hire homeless individuals due to stigma.

Thoughts on how we can improve the situation? My guess is that we should provide some sort of stable housing. I do realize that programs exist for this, but they obviously do not help very many people.

They are not homeless because they don't have 2 forms of identification, they don't have 2 forms of identification because they are homeless. When one is homeless they can't prove residency, thus the 2nd form of identification is hard to come by.

The identification requirement is no more an issue than the contact info. The homeless have no phones, and no mailing address, thus they can't be contacted for a job; this is in my opinion a bigger hindrance than identification.

Many homeless people do have forms of identification, such as an old ID, dog tags, and so on.

If you really find this an issue, maybe we could have homeless shelters set up an ID program for people who check in, like a school ID for homeless people.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:09:22 AM
At 6/1/2012 10:01:49 AM, DanT wrote:

They are not homeless because they don't have 2 forms of identification, they don't have 2 forms of identification because they are homeless. When one is homeless they can't prove residency, thus the 2nd form of identification is hard to come by.

I know. My point was that they cannot lift themselves out because they can't get a job. I never said that that they are homeless because they don't have two forms of identification.
The identification requirement is no more an issue than the contact info. The homeless have no phones, and no mailing address, thus they can't be contacted for a job; this is in my opinion a bigger hindrance than identification.

Many homeless people do have forms of identification, such as an old ID, dog tags, and so on.

If you really find this an issue, maybe we could have homeless shelters set up an ID program for people who check in, like a school ID for homeless people.

That's a fantastic idea, but I see people rejecting it because it would help illegal immigrants :/
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:10:14 AM

Yeah because crack addicts are extremely sane. Anyone else see the irony?
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:12:37 AM
At 6/1/2012 10:09:22 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/1/2012 10:01:49 AM, DanT wrote:

I know. My point was that they cannot lift themselves out because they can't get a job. I never said that that they are homeless because they don't have two forms of identification.

That's a fantastic idea, but I see people rejecting it because it would help illegal immigrants :/

Two forms of identification; one is the SS# and one is the ID card. If one has a homeless shelter ID they still need to provide a SS#.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:13:06 AM
At 6/1/2012 10:10:14 AM, DanT wrote:

From what I have heard, he's sane when he is not using it.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:15:42 AM
At 6/1/2012 10:13:06 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

key word there... Eventually addicts to crack become extremely paranoid, on or off the drug, because their body gets so use to it, that their mind confuses reality with fiction.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:18:45 AM
At 6/1/2012 10:15:42 AM, DanT wrote:
At 6/1/2012 10:13:06 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

key word there... Eventually addicts to crack become extremely paranoid, on or off the drug, because their body gets so use to it, that their mind confuses reality with fiction.

I didn't say that he made the right decision. I just said that this was the decision he made for that specific reason.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:39:50 AM
Why should illegal immigrants who have broken the law have legal opportunities at employment?

Dura lex sed lex.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 10:51:39 AM
At 6/1/2012 10:39:50 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Why should illegal immigrants who have broken the law have legal opportunities at employment?

Dura lex sed lex.

They shouldn't. many use stolen SS# to obtain a job; which means they can get fake IDs (just like high-school students).

They get caught with a fake SS#, or a fake ID, they get deported and come right back over.

If you ask me, illegals should not be deported, they should be executed for espionage. That would stop illegal immigration dead in it's tracks.