Bloomberg receives Nanny of the Month award

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 11:35:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/1/2012 11:23:50 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

"We're not taking away anybody's right to do things, we're simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup." - Bloomberg

What a laughably incoherent and contradictory statement. We're not taking away your right to do things, we're just taking away your right not to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:32:01 PM
At 6/1/2012 11:35:01 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 6/1/2012 11:23:50 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

"We're not taking away anybody's right to do things, we're simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup." - Bloomberg

What a laughably incoherent and contradictory statement. We're not taking away your right to do things, we're just taking away your right not to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup.:

Typical political double-speak for an idiotic plan that won't do anything except irritate once free people capable of making their own choices about what they put in their bodies.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 12:32:57 PM
Deja Vu. Did this thread happen already?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 1:37:15 PM
At 6/1/2012 12:32:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
Deja Vu. Did this thread happen already?
No, but CP put this in his blog if you read it.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 2:22:32 PM
At 6/1/2012 2:18:22 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In other news about Nanny States and Political Correctness...

Green Lantern is apparently gay...

>.> Life over

He is also African American.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 2:23:06 PM
You guys don't realize the problem. Sure, some of these measures may seem extreme, but the problems we are dealing with are serious problems. Obesity is going to at this rate bankrupt us.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 2:42:08 PM
At 6/1/2012 2:22:32 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

>.> Life over

Who the hell cares? I'm talking about the original Green Lantern. He's gay. The original one.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:31:32 PM
At 6/1/2012 2:23:06 PM, Contra wrote:
You guys don't realize the problem. Sure, some of these measures may seem extreme, but the problems we are dealing with are serious problems. Obesity is going to at this rate bankrupt us.

Interesting dichotomy. If we criticize an idiotic attempt to restrict personal freedoms, we don't care about the problem of obesity? Cool story.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:37:03 PM
At 6/1/2012 2:42:08 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

>.> Life over

Who the hell cares? I'm talking about the original Green Lantern. He's gay. The original one.

So?
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 3:40:23 PM
At 6/1/2012 3:37:03 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/1/2012 2:42:08 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

>.> Life over

So?

Conservatives, always sticking to tradition.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 4:33:26 PM
At 6/1/2012 2:23:06 PM, Contra wrote:

I realize the problem.

Just because I don't think prohibition of certain kinds of sodas is the answer doesn't mean I don't.

If people want to drink that kind of soda enough, there will be a black market for it, and the regulation will achieve next to nothing.

If it gets serious enough, which I kind of doubt, but anyway if it did like the drug war did, then not only would it fail given the black market, it'd cost way too much money to enforce.

It'd create crime, and thus put even more people in our already ridiculously overcrowded prisons. (I think US holds about 25% of the world's prisoners. I read that stat a while ago though, can't confirm accuracy.)

And all this is without considering what many would consider the most important aspect - restricting our civil liberties. Obesity is a problem, but why is it government's problem to address? If people choose to be unhealthy, not only is it not government's place to try and force them not to be, but it simply won't work; people will continue with their unhealthy practices regardless. This has been proven consistently through all kinds of prohibition in America. If the demand is there, the supply will find a way to be there too, and all prohibiting it does is create problems.

This is a stupid, counter-productive, and probably ineffective thing for Bloomberg to be pursuing.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 4:39:28 PM
This is the United States of America where:

a) the government cannot tell establishments how much of a legal substance they can sell at once

b) if I want to go and order 10 gallons of soda and drink it until I pass out, I can
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2012 4:46:45 PM
At 6/1/2012 4:39:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
This is the United States of America where:

a) the government cannot tell establishments how much of a legal substance they can sell at once

b) if I want to go and order 10 gallons of soda and drink it until I pass out, I can

+1
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush