why should we allow marriage?

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 1:51:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What is the point of it?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 1:56:48 PM
Let's have a look at the number of criminals that were raised in a household without a father.....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 1:58:45 PM
At 6/3/2012 1:56:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Let's have a look at the number of criminals that were raised in a household without a father.....

I forgot that fathers only stick around when they're married.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:00:05 PM
At 6/3/2012 1:58:45 PM, socialpinko wrote:

So, your saying that more unmarried fathers stick around than married?

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:00:12 PM
You don't need a marriage to have a mother and father, numb nuts.

What is marriage supposed to be, an insurance policy? Sounds romantic.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:00:40 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:00:05 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Or, say a boyfriend would be more likely to stick around after impregnating his girlfriend than a married father?

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:01:40 PM

Cute.

May as well argue gays should get married because kids who grow up with a single gay parent do worse than with two gay parents.

How about you try comparing married couples and couples that live together but aren't married.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:03:27 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:00:40 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Or, say a boyfriend would be more likely to stick around after impregnating his girlfriend than a married father?

Are you arguing that marriage makes the costs of separating higher and so keeps couples together?

Because otherwise you're making the rather trivial point that a couple that decides to get married is more likely to have thought things through than a couple that gets pregnant by accident.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:03:43 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:01:40 PM, Wnope wrote:

Cute.

May as well argue gays should get married because kids who grow up with a single gay parent do worse than with two gay parents.

I'm saying that a father figure is important.

How about you try comparing married couples and couples that live together but aren't married.

Why not?

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:03:53 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:00:15 PM, 16kadams wrote:
My sig

I don't get it.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:05:01 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:03:43 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Cute.

Why not?

The question is whether we should allow marriage, not whether we should allow couples to raise kids.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:05:05 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:03:27 PM, Wnope wrote:

Are you arguing that marriage makes the costs of separating higher and so keeps couples together?

I'm arguing that the dad is more likely to stick around if he married the girl than if he's just her boyfriend.

Because otherwise you're making the rather trivial point that a couple that decides to get married is more likely to have thought things through than a couple that gets pregnant by accident.

How is this trivial?

And it increases the chance of the dad sticking around by a massive amount.

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:05:14 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:03:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
My sig

I don't get it.

It decreases poverty
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:05:46 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:05:01 PM, Wnope wrote:

Cute.

Why not?

The question is whether we should allow marriage, not whether we should allow couples to raise kids.

And I'm saying that marriage benefits society a lot.

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:07:36 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:05:05 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/3/2012 2:03:27 PM, Wnope wrote:

I'm arguing that the dad is more likely to stick around if he married the girl than if he's just her boyfriend.

How is this trivial?

And it increases the chance of the dad sticking around by a massive amount.

But what are you proposing is the mechanism that makes marriage keep couples together?

Because it is either that the act of marriage leads to less chances of a couple separating or couples who are more likely to marry as less likely to separate.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:08:21 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:05:46 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/3/2012 2:05:01 PM, Wnope wrote:

Cute.

Why not?

And I'm saying that marriage benefits society a lot.

How does marriage benefit society in a way that a couple that stays together and raises kids do not?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:09:58 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:05:14 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/3/2012 2:03:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
My sig

I don't get it.

It decreases poverty

Good point. I'm going to marry a rich woman and divorce her. Rake in them benjamins.

Thank you for your well thought out opinion. Your input is appreciated.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:11:20 PM

Aren't you against two of them?

So, there's a golden mean for fathers?

Curious, that.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:11:59 PM
Still waiting for an opinion that isn't bull shyt.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:12:32 PM

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Married fathers are more likely to stick around because they are the type of people willing to commit to raising a child and, thus, willing to commit to being a husband. Conversely, if they are unwilling to commit to being a father figure, then they are probably unwilling to commit to being a husband too.

Getting married doesn't cause them to stick around (except for maybe a bit, given the hassle of getting a divorce). Rather, being a husband and father is dependent on the same types of qualities.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:14:03 PM
It seems that the "insurance policy" of marriage is saying to your spouse that you wouldn't trust them to stay and be faithful to you without having a church/government make it binding. Which really says something of the insecurity of your relationship and your lack of trust in your partner. If you are truly in love, marriage seems kind of pointless aside from legal/economic benefits, and you shouldn't need some insurance policy to keep the relationship together. If you aren't truly in love/fall out of love, marriage only serves as something that complicates everything/costs a lot of money (if the couple splits up) or be a net detriment those family members (children) affected by the screwed up relationship that only exists because of the difficulty of getting divorced (which is only necessary because of marriage).

Also, I'm not sure monogamy/staying with the same person forever is really something that humans are good at or should want to do. Most marriages end in divorce. That says something about the success of trying to be in love with the same person and only that person until you die. I think it's pretty unnatural to force yourself to love only one person and be in that relationship for your whole life - what if you meet someone better or fall in love with someone else?

And I'm not a fan of marriage for what it does to an individual's autonomy/ability to grow. Growing in terms of personality, unless done with your partner, may threaten the stability of your relationship. People change and grow throughout life; that's natural and it's a given. But committing to be in a monogamous relationship with the same person for your whole life in many ways makes true change and growth much more difficult to attain, and much more risky given what it might do to the relationship...

Not sure if we, as humans, are really meant to commit to one person for our whole lives - or even if it usually works.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:15:12 PM
At 6/3/2012 1:51:55 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
What is the point of it?

Why should we allow it? Because it is a voluntary contract made by will individuals. However, the state should no offer them, because marriage is in most cases a religious contract.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:17:14 PM
This isn't a thread about faggotry. This is a thread about the point of marriage in general, which I find to be fundamentally insincere and the product of insecurity, possessiveness, and hell, even masochism.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:19:02 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:18:04 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
People should be able to voluntarily opt to be monogamous.

I realize that marriage is not necessary for this to occur, but people ought to be able to enter into these public contracts if they so desire.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:21:47 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:17:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
This isn't a thread about faggotry. This is a thread about the point of marriage in general, which I find to be fundamentally insincere and the product of insecurity, possessiveness, and hell, even masochism.

To make it easier for two people to form a bond, and a lasting one, whether economical, social, or whatever.

Call it a stamp of proof of love if you like.

Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:22:28 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:17:14 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I most cases the point would be religious reasons (which are assorted), then there is financial reasons (which under the current social order isn't a bad way to live ones life), and love. However, the last one really caries with it a trend. People grow up reading books about happy married couples or watch it on the news about a old couple passing that was together for very long periods of time. So it is a cultural thing.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:24:50 PM
Contracts are just bs anyway. Sure they should be allowed, but it's still just a magic trick.

The real question I'm asking here is, "What is the point of marriage?", What is so special about marriage that people give so much of a shyt about whether they can do it or not?

I assert that it is a political issue meant to distract stupid people.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2012 2:26:28 PM
At 6/3/2012 2:24:50 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Contracts are just bs anyway. Sure they should be allowed, but it's still just a magic trick.

The real question I'm asking here is, "What is the point of marriage?", What is so special about marriage that people give so much of a shyt about whether they can do it or not?

I assert that it is a political issue meant to distract stupid people.

I think that no matter what we say, you'll just say its BS and things like that.

People have given reasons why on this thread, I'm just thinking your so biased against it, you don't care.