Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

War with Iran

lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 9:56:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is this war not shaping up to look exactly like the war with Iraq? Lies about WMD's and threats to Israel.
Iran simply want's 20% enriched Uranium for medical purposes, yet we won't allow it to be imported so they decided to enrich their own.
The sanctions we have on them are so tough they inevitably will lead to war.
Watch an interview with ahmadinejad sometime, he's never said, as our warmongering politicans and media want us to believe, that he wants to wipe Israel off the map.
It is all blatant propaganda and war mongering, but unlike Iraq, attacking Iran will have much more dire consequences for us.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 10:12:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Iran isn't even a remote threat to us, and if you think that a Muslim theocracy is going to nuke land that is considered holy in their religion, you are out of your mind.

If Iran nuked Jerusalem, every Muslim country would turn on them. Hell, if Iran uses a nuke in warfare at all, the whole world will gang rape them.

The motivations for engaging Iran are obviously unrelated to what is being portrayed. Either that, or our government is shamefully ignorant.... or both..
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Purch
Posts: 64
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 1:40:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We have the money for a war with Iran?
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 2:29:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 10:12:10 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Iran isn't even a remote threat to us, and if you think that a Muslim theocracy is going to nuke land that is considered holy in their religion, you are out of your mind.

If Iran nuked Jerusalem, every Muslim country would turn on them. Hell, if Iran uses a nuke in warfare at all, the whole world will gang rape them.

The motivations for engaging Iran are obviously unrelated to what is being portrayed. Either that, or our government is shamefully ignorant.... or both..

Jerusalem =/= Israel

The largest nuke ever detonated had a fireball with a radius of 2.2 miles, with a total radius of it's destruction being 22 miles.

In other words, if the bomb was dropped 22 miles away, such as in Ashdod,
Nazareth, or Be'er Sheva, than Jerusalem would not be harmed. And that is with the largest nuke ever detonated; their nukes would likely be less destructive than Russia's Tsar.

Why do people always overestimate the power of nuclear weapons?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 2:31:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
If they really wanted to maximize damage and casualties they would not detonate on a city, they would detonate it over a city; the EMP and radiation would be much more wide spread, and would kill much allot more people than the blast would. The EMP would also cripple their technology.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 2:51:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 2:29:04 PM, DanT wrote:
At 6/4/2012 10:12:10 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Iran isn't even a remote threat to us, and if you think that a Muslim theocracy is going to nuke land that is considered holy in their religion, you are out of your mind.

If Iran nuked Jerusalem, every Muslim country would turn on them. Hell, if Iran uses a nuke in warfare at all, the whole world will gang rape them.

The motivations for engaging Iran are obviously unrelated to what is being portrayed. Either that, or our government is shamefully ignorant.... or both..

Jerusalem =/= Israel

The largest nuke ever detonated had a fireball with a radius of 2.2 miles, with a total radius of it's destruction being 22 miles.

In other words, if the bomb was dropped 22 miles away, such as in Ashdod,
Nazareth, or Be'er Sheva, than Jerusalem would not be harmed. And that is with the largest nuke ever detonated; their nukes would likely be less destructive than Russia's Tsar.


Why do people always overestimate the power of nuclear weapons?

Might overestimate Iran's non-existent nuclear power. But in general the largest hydrogen bombs have a destructive power far beyond the largest ever detonated, which I believe was scaled down to half what it was capable of and that was a half a century ago.

I believe his point was that a lot of the land in Israel is holy to the Muslims and they wouldn't risk that.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
YYW
Posts: 36,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:05:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Watching people exchange normative arguments about Iran is entertaining. Now that we've all been entertained, be educated.
Tsar of DDO
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:24:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 3:05:31 PM, YYW wrote:
Watching people exchange normative arguments about Iran is entertaining. Now that we've all been entertained, be educated.



Ahh an expert made a model, debate over.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:27:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have a post on the blog on this, and it is quite comprehensive on the political side.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:47:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 9:56:15 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Is this war not shaping up to look exactly like the war with Iraq? Lies about WMD's and threats to Israel.
Iran simply want's 20% enriched Uranium for medical purposes, yet we won't allow it to be imported so they decided to enrich their own.
The sanctions we have on them are so tough they inevitably will lead to war.
Watch an interview with ahmadinejad sometime, he's never said, as our warmongering politicans and media want us to believe, that he wants to wipe Israel off the map.

Wanna bet?

It is all blatant propaganda and war mongering, but unlike Iraq, attacking Iran will have much more dire consequences for us.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Purch
Posts: 64
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:51:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 3:27:41 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
I have a post on the blog on this, and it is quite comprehensive on the political side.

Really good post. Do you update the site often?
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:51:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 3:47:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/4/2012 9:56:15 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Is this war not shaping up to look exactly like the war with Iraq? Lies about WMD's and threats to Israel.
Iran simply want's 20% enriched Uranium for medical purposes, yet we won't allow it to be imported so they decided to enrich their own.
The sanctions we have on them are so tough they inevitably will lead to war.
Watch an interview with ahmadinejad sometime, he's never said, as our warmongering politicans and media want us to believe, that he wants to wipe Israel off the map.

Wanna bet?

by all means, educate me.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 3:57:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 3:51:42 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 3:47:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/4/2012 9:56:15 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Is this war not shaping up to look exactly like the war with Iraq? Lies about WMD's and threats to Israel.
Iran simply want's 20% enriched Uranium for medical purposes, yet we won't allow it to be imported so they decided to enrich their own.
The sanctions we have on them are so tough they inevitably will lead to war.
Watch an interview with ahmadinejad sometime, he's never said, as our warmongering politicans and media want us to believe, that he wants to wipe Israel off the map.

Wanna bet?

by all means, educate me.

http://thinkexist.com...

While he didn't say specifically "wipe off the map", he stated his want to destroy the the allies of Israel and Israel itself several times.

So, while he may have not said specifically wipe off the map, though vanish from history sounds worse to me, he has definitively expressed his sentiment t destroy Israel and its allies.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:09:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 3:57:47 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/4/2012 3:51:42 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 3:47:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/4/2012 9:56:15 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Is this war not shaping up to look exactly like the war with Iraq? Lies about WMD's and threats to Israel.
Iran simply want's 20% enriched Uranium for medical purposes, yet we won't allow it to be imported so they decided to enrich their own.
The sanctions we have on them are so tough they inevitably will lead to war.
Watch an interview with ahmadinejad sometime, he's never said, as our warmongering politicans and media want us to believe, that he wants to wipe Israel off the map.

Wanna bet?

by all means, educate me.

http://thinkexist.com...

While he didn't say specifically "wipe off the map", he stated his want to destroy the the allies of Israel and Israel itself several times.

So, while he may have not said specifically wipe off the map, though vanish from history sounds worse to me, he has definitively expressed his sentiment t destroy Israel and its allies.

Think exist isn't a valid source, here are a few valid sources to the contrary.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com...

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com...

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Ahmadinejad does not claim, nor has he said he wants to destroy Israel.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:15:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 4:09:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 3:57:47 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/4/2012 3:51:42 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 3:47:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/4/2012 9:56:15 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Is this war not shaping up to look exactly like the war with Iraq? Lies about WMD's and threats to Israel.
Iran simply want's 20% enriched Uranium for medical purposes, yet we won't allow it to be imported so they decided to enrich their own.
The sanctions we have on them are so tough they inevitably will lead to war.
Watch an interview with ahmadinejad sometime, he's never said, as our warmongering politicans and media want us to believe, that he wants to wipe Israel off the map.

Wanna bet?

by all means, educate me.

http://thinkexist.com...

While he didn't say specifically "wipe off the map", he stated his want to destroy the the allies of Israel and Israel itself several times.

So, while he may have not said specifically wipe off the map, though vanish from history sounds worse to me, he has definitively expressed his sentiment t destroy Israel and its allies.

Think exist isn't a valid source, here are a few valid sources to the contrary.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com...

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com...

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Ahmadinejad does not claim, nor has he said he wants to destroy Israel.

That sir, is not true.

http://www.brainyquote.com...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

While I will say he never said wipe off the map, I don't think vanish from history is much better.

And, yes that was a valid source. Here is another though, just for the hell of it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:19:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 4:15:09 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:09:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 3:57:47 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/4/2012 3:51:42 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 3:47:57 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/4/2012 9:56:15 AM, lewis20 wrote:
Is this war not shaping up to look exactly like the war with Iraq? Lies about WMD's and threats to Israel.
Iran simply want's 20% enriched Uranium for medical purposes, yet we won't allow it to be imported so they decided to enrich their own.
The sanctions we have on them are so tough they inevitably will lead to war.
Watch an interview with ahmadinejad sometime, he's never said, as our warmongering politicans and media want us to believe, that he wants to wipe Israel off the map.

Wanna bet?

by all means, educate me.

http://thinkexist.com...

While he didn't say specifically "wipe off the map", he stated his want to destroy the the allies of Israel and Israel itself several times.

So, while he may have not said specifically wipe off the map, though vanish from history sounds worse to me, he has definitively expressed his sentiment t destroy Israel and its allies.

Think exist isn't a valid source, here are a few valid sources to the contrary.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com...

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com...

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

Ahmadinejad does not claim, nor has he said he wants to destroy Israel.

That sir, is not true.

http://www.brainyquote.com...

http://en.wikipedia.org...

While I will say he never said wipe off the map, I don't think vanish from history is much better.

And, yes that was a valid source. Here is another though, just for the hell of it.

Sorry, think exist and brainy quotes aren't valid, my sources explained the quote in it's entirety. Not sure what else to tell you, you are simply wrong.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:24:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
@Lewis

1. My Wikipedia link clearly explains how he said "Vanish from the map."

There is nothing to contest there, look at the links if you want.

And second, Brainyquotes has citations to various books that quote him for that, and Thinkexist both have the same quotes....so I seriously doubt that those are misquotes. They would lose a lot of credibility if they were.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:29:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 4:24:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@Lewis

1. My Wikipedia link clearly explains how he said "Vanish from the map."

There is nothing to contest there, look at the links if you want.

And second, Brainyquotes has citations to various books that quote him for that, and Thinkexist both have the same quotes....so I seriously doubt that those are misquotes. They would lose a lot of credibility if they were.

Wikipedia gives him quoting the ayatollah khomeini. No where has he stated it, in any form or variation.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:30:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 4:21:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I say we send in the tap-dancing cows.

This.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:32:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 4:29:17 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:24:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@Lewis

1. My Wikipedia link clearly explains how he said "Vanish from the map."

There is nothing to contest there, look at the links if you want.

And second, Brainyquotes has citations to various books that quote him for that, and Thinkexist both have the same quotes....so I seriously doubt that those are misquotes. They would lose a lot of credibility if they were.

Wikipedia gives him quoting the ayatollah khomeini. No where has he stated it, in any form or variation.

Your hopeless.

Thats all. Your hopeless.

No matter what I give you, your just gonna say "He didn't say nothing!"
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 4:50:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 4:24:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@Lewis

1. My Wikipedia link clearly explains how he said "Vanish from the map."

There is nothing to contest there, look at the links if you want.

And second, Brainyquotes has citations to various books that quote him for that, and Thinkexist both have the same quotes....so I seriously doubt that those are misquotes. They would lose a lot of credibility if they were.

Of course there's something to contest here. It's whether or not what Ahmadinejad said could be considered a threat. He was referring to the Israeli government which he thinks is evil and corrupt. (Whether it really is or not is besides the point). This is the kind of language that Americans and Soviets would use regularly about each other's governments during the Cold War, with it being clear that they were not implying military action against the Soviets.

To attack Israel, the Iranians would have to be suicidal. Mark my words, they are not willing to sacrifice their lives, and the lives of their friends and families to kill Jews. Their country hasn't invaded another country for hundreds of years. If they attacked America or Israel, America's close ally, they would be toast. Do you somehow think they are not aware of this? That the world would gang rape them if they attacked either America or Israel, both of whom are more militarily aggressive and have superior nuclear capability? Or that they hate Israel so much that they're willing to let their country crumble because of it?
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 5:03:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 4:50:24 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:24:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@Lewis

1. My Wikipedia link clearly explains how he said "Vanish from the map."

There is nothing to contest there, look at the links if you want.

And second, Brainyquotes has citations to various books that quote him for that, and Thinkexist both have the same quotes....so I seriously doubt that those are misquotes. They would lose a lot of credibility if they were.

Of course there's something to contest here. It's whether or not what Ahmadinejad said could be considered a threat. He was referring to the Israeli government which he thinks is evil and corrupt. (Whether it really is or not is besides the point). This is the kind of language that Americans and Soviets would use regularly about each other's governments during the Cold War, with it being clear that they were not implying military action against the Soviets.

To attack Israel, the Iranians would have to be suicidal. Mark my words, they are not willing to sacrifice their lives, and the lives of their friends and families to kill Jews. Their country hasn't invaded another country for hundreds of years. If they attacked America or Israel, America's close ally, they would be toast. Do you somehow think they are not aware of this? That the world would gang rape them if they attacked either America or Israel, both of whom are more militarily aggressive and have superior nuclear capability? Or that they hate Israel so much that they're willing to let their country crumble because of it?


Yeah, they are not gonna nuke Israel; directly.

It would be much smarter, to simply "lose" a nuke, and some terrorist faction just so happens to "find" it, and use it.

This gives them: plausible deniability.

We didn't do it....(giggles)..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:36:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 5:03:01 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:50:24 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:24:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@Lewis

1. My Wikipedia link clearly explains how he said "Vanish from the map."

There is nothing to contest there, look at the links if you want.

And second, Brainyquotes has citations to various books that quote him for that, and Thinkexist both have the same quotes....so I seriously doubt that those are misquotes. They would lose a lot of credibility if they were.

Of course there's something to contest here. It's whether or not what Ahmadinejad said could be considered a threat. He was referring to the Israeli government which he thinks is evil and corrupt. (Whether it really is or not is besides the point). This is the kind of language that Americans and Soviets would use regularly about each other's governments during the Cold War, with it being clear that they were not implying military action against the Soviets.

To attack Israel, the Iranians would have to be suicidal. Mark my words, they are not willing to sacrifice their lives, and the lives of their friends and families to kill Jews. Their country hasn't invaded another country for hundreds of years. If they attacked America or Israel, America's close ally, they would be toast. Do you somehow think they are not aware of this? That the world would gang rape them if they attacked either America or Israel, both of whom are more militarily aggressive and have superior nuclear capability? Or that they hate Israel so much that they're willing to let their country crumble because of it?


Yeah, they are not gonna nuke Israel; directly.

It would be much smarter, to simply "lose" a nuke, and some terrorist faction just so happens to "find" it, and use it.

This gives them: plausible deniability.

We didn't do it....(giggles)..

A nuke goes off anywhere in Israel, by anyone, for any reason, you think we won't act the exact same we would if Iran had done it in the open?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:44:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 6:36:45 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 5:03:01 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:50:24 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:24:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@Lewis

1. My Wikipedia link clearly explains how he said "Vanish from the map."

There is nothing to contest there, look at the links if you want.

And second, Brainyquotes has citations to various books that quote him for that, and Thinkexist both have the same quotes....so I seriously doubt that those are misquotes. They would lose a lot of credibility if they were.

Of course there's something to contest here. It's whether or not what Ahmadinejad said could be considered a threat. He was referring to the Israeli government which he thinks is evil and corrupt. (Whether it really is or not is besides the point). This is the kind of language that Americans and Soviets would use regularly about each other's governments during the Cold War, with it being clear that they were not implying military action against the Soviets.

To attack Israel, the Iranians would have to be suicidal. Mark my words, they are not willing to sacrifice their lives, and the lives of their friends and families to kill Jews. Their country hasn't invaded another country for hundreds of years. If they attacked America or Israel, America's close ally, they would be toast. Do you somehow think they are not aware of this? That the world would gang rape them if they attacked either America or Israel, both of whom are more militarily aggressive and have superior nuclear capability? Or that they hate Israel so much that they're willing to let their country crumble because of it?


Yeah, they are not gonna nuke Israel; directly.

It would be much smarter, to simply "lose" a nuke, and some terrorist faction just so happens to "find" it, and use it.

This gives them: plausible deniability.

We didn't do it....(giggles)..

A nuke goes off anywhere in Israel, by anyone, for any reason, you think we won't act the exact same we would if Iran had done it in the open?

Um, I think we would act quite a bit different.

You know, its the difference between us stopping them from testing nukes, to them nuking our allies, and kill thousands, if not millions, not even counting the economic collapse and such.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 6:52:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 4:50:24 PM, jat93 wrote:
At 6/4/2012 4:24:51 PM, OberHerr wrote:
@Lewis

1. My Wikipedia link clearly explains how he said "Vanish from the map."

There is nothing to contest there, look at the links if you want.

And second, Brainyquotes has citations to various books that quote him for that, and Thinkexist both have the same quotes....so I seriously doubt that those are misquotes. They would lose a lot of credibility if they were.

Of course there's something to contest here. It's whether or not what Ahmadinejad said could be considered a threat. He was referring to the Israeli government which he thinks is evil and corrupt. (Whether it really is or not is besides the point). This is the kind of language that Americans and Soviets would use regularly about each other's governments during the Cold War, with it being clear that they were not implying military action against the Soviets.


Cause, the Soviets definitely didn't want to wipe us from the earth.

To attack Israel, the Iranians would have to be suicidal. Mark my words, they are not willing to sacrifice their lives, and the lives of their friends and families to kill Jews. Their country hasn't invaded another country for hundreds of years. If they attacked America or Israel, America's close ally, they would be toast. Do you somehow think they are not aware of this? That the world would gang rape them if they attacked either America or Israel, both of whom are more militarily aggressive and have superior nuclear capability? Or that they hate Israel so much that they're willing to let their country crumble because of it?

Possibly to the last one, but I think giving nukes to terrorists, "accidentally" or purposefully, would be more their style.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 7:41:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
OberHerr and Paradox mention the possibility of Iran "accidentally" losing a nuke and having it "accidentally" picked up by a terrorist organization.

I admit this is much more plausible than Iran doing it directly - that would be next to impossible given how badly Iran would get screwed over by America and Israel and nearly the whole international community.

However, whether it is right or wrong, the ramifications for Iran will be the same if a nuke that they possessed went missing and exploded in Israel or America or if they directly did it themselves.

The United States waged war against Iraq on the grounds of their nuclear weapons for which there has never been any proof. It would not be a stretch to say that we went to war on a lie. They were not the aggressors - America was. Do you really think the United States would hesitate to blow the sh!t out of Iran if it was a) proven that Iran had developed weapons of mass destruction b) proven that one or more of those weapons of mass destruction exploded either in Israel or America?

The point is, terrorists stealing a nuke is always possible I guess, but given that Iranian leaders know that they would probably all be dead if any weapon linked to them caused harm to America or Israel, we can rest assured that they wouldn't let that happen easily. At all.

And again, we must ask: Among the United States, Israel, and Iran, which has been belligerent? The United States has tightened sanctions on Iran, which hurt civilians in the name of undercutting the regime. The Israeli state wants war. Both Israel and the United States have considerable nuclear weapons stockpiles. Iran has none. The U.S. conducts war policies that are widely unpopular among its own people. The Obama administration has provided bunker-busters to Israel, presumably for attacking Iran. In the last decade, both Israel and the United States have engaged in invasions of other countries. The Persians have not launched a conventional war in centuries.

If we are searching for an aggressive nuclear regime, determined to wage war despite standards of constitutional restraint, democratic principles, and international law, we have two possible candidates that fit the bill. Iran is not one of them.

(The previous two paragraphs from "Is Iran Really A Threat?" at the Huffington Post.)
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 7:43:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 7:41:16 PM, jat93 wrote:
OberHerr and Paradox mention the possibility of Iran "accidentally" losing a nuke and having it "accidentally" picked up by a terrorist organization.

I admit this is much more plausible than Iran doing it directly - that would be next to impossible given how badly Iran would get screwed over by America and Israel and nearly the whole international community.

However, whether it is right or wrong, the ramifications for Iran will be the same if a nuke that they possessed went missing and exploded in Israel or America as if they directly did it themselves.

The United States waged war against Iraq on the grounds of their nuclear weapons for which there has never been any proof. It would not be a stretch to say that we went to war on a lie. They were not the aggressors - America was. Do you really think the United States would hesitate to blow the sh!t out of Iran if it was a) proven that Iran had developed weapons of mass destruction b) proven that one or more of those weapons of mass destruction exploded either in Israel or America?

The point is, terrorists stealing a nuke is always possible I guess, but given that Iranian leaders know that they would probably all be dead if any weapon linked to them caused harm to America or Israel, we can rest assured that they wouldn't let that happen easily. At all.

And again, we must ask: Among the United States, Israel, and Iran, which has been belligerent? The United States has tightened sanctions on Iran, which hurt civilians in the name of undercutting the regime. The Israeli state wants war. Both Israel and the United States have considerable nuclear weapons stockpiles. Iran has none. The U.S. conducts war policies that are widely unpopular among its own people. The Obama administration has provided bunker-busters to Israel, presumably for attacking Iran. In the last decade, both Israel and the United States have engaged in invasions of other countries. The Persians have not launched a conventional war in centuries.

If we are searching for an aggressive nuclear regime, determined to wage war despite standards of constitutional restraint, democratic principles, and international law, we have two possible candidates that fit the bill. Iran is not one of them.

(The previous two paragraphs from "Is Iran Really A Threat?" at the Huffington Post.)

Fixed.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 7:59:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We are willing to go to war on false WMD information, a nuke going off in Israel will be more than enough reason for us to blame and invade Iran.
Hell, them wanting to import uranium enriched to 20% is apparently enough for us to invade them.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2012 10:21:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/4/2012 7:59:53 PM, lewis20 wrote:
We are willing to go to war on false WMD information, a nuke going off in Israel will be more than enough reason for us to blame and invade Iran.
Hell, them wanting to import uranium enriched to 20% is apparently enough for us to invade them.

I don't believe hose WMD results were false....since we found chemical weapons...so....
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-