Jump to topic:

If the Magna Carta were repealed...

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 4:47:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Bear with me, because I know less than nothing about British politics.

I'm just curious, what would be the ramification of getting rid of the magna carta and anything deriving authority from it? Would the royal family get all their power back?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 3:51:08 AM
At 6/5/2012 4:47:58 PM, Wnope wrote:

I'm just curious, what would be the ramification of getting rid of the magna carta and anything deriving authority from it? Would the royal family get all their power back?

The Magna Carta was largely ignored by subsequent monarchs. Although a monumental point in western history, the true impact was mostly symbolic; it didn't really become a cornerstone of British law as much as it was an acheivement of popular protest.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 5:32:35 AM
At 6/5/2012 4:47:58 PM, Wnope wrote:

Repealed or not... The brits don't care about old laws...
at least that's what I gather from their not understanding what the deal with the Constitution is.

If there were a document like the constitution in Britain I doubt it would take precedence over any new law... even if it was written such that it was supposed to.. like the constitution.

(least that's what I gather)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."