Jump to topic:

Wisconsin: The Herald of Democracy

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 7:16:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The state that brought you progressivism, initiative, and referendums is at it again.

If Scott Walker is ousted from the governorship, it would likely have a positive effect on Obama's reelection. It would create a certain momentum for the Democratic Party that would give it just enough updraft to stay aloft.

If they win, I predict that Obama will add labor alongside women to his election talking points. If they lose, he will distance himself from the entire thing as much as possible and continue like nothing happened.

It's a very nice win/nothing scenario
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 7:21:44 PM
I hope labor becomes a talking point
http://www.rasmussenreports.com...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 7:24:58 PM
At 6/5/2012 7:21:44 PM, 16kadams wrote:

That's an 8% difference,...and only pertains to business. 16k, if I was taking that poll I too would likely say that unions were bad for business.

Business interests are a minuscule slice of the government's priorities. The well-being and safety of American workers is more important.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 7:45:42 PM
As a Wisconsin voter I'm tired of this whole thing and glad that it will end today. Though I did not vote for Scott Walker in the previous election, I knew exactly what he was going to do, and then he did it. I was shocked at the reaction to this, the members of the state legislature that fled the state to avoid voiding, and the recall petition that followed.

I almost considered not voting today, but the robo-call I got a few hours ago from Tom Barrett, (The Democrat candidate who lost the first election against Scott Walker and now challenges Walker in the recall) convinced me to go to the polls in opposition of 'robo-calling'.

I'm not a big fan of Scott Walker's methodology, but there are many problems in this state, and a continuation of Barrett style policies for another decade are not going to solves those issues. Milwaukee's problems did not improve under Barrett (when he was mayor) and I have a hard time believing he would do much better as governor.

No matter who wins though, I'm mostly relieved to see this all end. I'm tired of the recall petitioners knocking on my door, I'm tired of the constant partisan arguing that has enveloped the state as of late, and I'd really like whoever wins, to finally be able to focus entirely on actual governing. The state of Wisconsin in general, and the city of Milwaukee in particular, have many problems that need to be tended to, so hopefully our elected officials will be able to do the job we elected them to do tomorrow.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 7:51:07 PM
At 6/5/2012 7:45:42 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
As a Wisconsin voter I'm tired of this whole thing and glad that it will end today. Though I did not vote for Scott Walker in the previous election, I knew exactly what he was going to do, and then he did it. I was shocked at the reaction to this, the members of the state legislature that fled the state to avoid voting, and the recall petition that followed.

fix'd

On your point Ike, I agree... If Walkers wins it doesn't have any effect on Obama's reelection efforts. If Walker loses, Obama can use it as a campaign thing, and if Barrett is the governor he will certainly be campaigning for Obama. It's definitely helpful to the Obama administration if Walker gets ousted, but should he win, it wont have that much of any effect.

I have a hard time believing that Wisconsin would go red in the 2012 Prez elections, regardless of the recall outcome.
Debate.org Moderator
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 7:53:52 PM
At 6/5/2012 7:24:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/5/2012 7:21:44 PM, 16kadams wrote:

That's an 8% difference,...and only pertains to business. 16k, if I was taking that poll I too would likely say that unions were bad for business.

That difference is larger then the margin of error. Also buisness' are vital to the economy, and that will be debated heavily soon. That difference means if Mitt can make good anough of a case and labor is an issue he will obtain an advantage.

Also, if we assume current trends proceed overall support for labor unions will shrink and the debate is an easy win against, in my opinion. 52% support 42% dont, thats an all time low. Margin of error +/-4%, meaning the numbers could be exeedingly close. (http://www.gallup.com...) Assuming the trend continues the margin could actually tie off or become a disagreement advantage. Meaning labor unions becoming a topic either help Romney, a lot, or have little impact.

Business interests are a minuscule slice of the government's priorities. The well-being and safety of American workers is more important.

Is it worth the expense of low skilled workers? Hiking wages has been proven to hurt lower skilled workers as well as hurt entire industries reliant on that class of society.

Also you must ask does it even have a benefit? They act, as economists argue, as labor cartels. (see: http://www.heritage.org...)

You also must ask do workers really need labor unions? Labor unions actually hide personal abilities and acheivements, and the participation in labor unions is declining for that reason. (and they raise wages, sometimes, the link above shows they are innefective, but sucess means the bottom of the tree is hurt) Labor unions also lead to selective hiring, as it is darn near impossible to fire union workers what they do is hire only the best. That is arguably good for the product but leads to higher prices as well as again expense of the lower class. It also hurts the private sector, about 50% of union workers work for the public sector as many companies in right to work states ward off unions. So it actually closes opertinuties. (see: http://www.heritage.org...)

Does it really help the worker? It might, though it has been demonstrated to close opertinuties and hurt the lower class worker. Is it really beneficial to help a few workers but hurt the others?
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 7:55:32 PM
At 6/5/2012 7:51:07 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
As a Wisconsin voter I'm tired of this whole thing and glad that it will end today. Though I did not vote for Scott Walker in the previous election, I knew exactly what he was going to do, and then he did it. I was shocked at the reaction to this, the members of the state legislature that fled the state to avoid voting, and the recall petition that followed.

fix'd

On your point Ike, I agree... If Walkers wins it doesn't have any effect on Obama's reelection efforts. If Walker loses, Obama can use it as a campaign thing, and if Barrett is the governor he will certainly be campaigning for Obama. It's definitely helpful to the Obama administration if Walker gets ousted, but should he win, it wont have that much of any effect.

I have a hard time believing that Wisconsin would go red in the 2012 Prez elections, regardless of the recall outcome.

I doubt it will have an effect unless labor unions become a hot topic then it may have a negative/positive effect.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 8:20:46 PM

fix'd

Come on. If it weren't for the whole fiasco, nobody would've known Wisconsin was a state.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 8:34:45 PM
At 6/5/2012 8:20:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:

fix'd

Come on. If it weren't for the whole fiasco, nobody would've known Wisconsin was a state.

haha I'm perfectly fine with no one knowing Wisconsin is a state.

..And we've got enough beer and cheese to last if we need to secede :P
Debate.org Moderator
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 8:40:34 PM

fix'd

lol Wisconsin is liberal-land...so is New Jersey. They're so sure they're going to get the Northeast that they don't even both campaigning here.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 8:42:31 PM
At 6/5/2012 8:40:34 PM, 000ike wrote:

fix'd

lol Wisconsin is liberal-land...so is New Jersey. They're so sure they're going to get the Northeast that they don't even both campaigning here.

I was talking about the average person, not politicians. It was mainly a joke.
Open borders debate:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 8:47:08 PM

fix'd

Wisconsin has plenty of conservatives because much of it is rural. But the majority of voters live in Milwaukee and Madison (which is one of the most liberal cities in the US) which usually makes it a blue state. But given what we might learn about public opinion in Wisconsin tonight, (which could be a reiteration of what was a referendum on Democrats in 2010) I'm starting to think anything might be possible in the Prez election now.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 8:54:53 PM
The local Fox and NBC affiliates are reporting 61-38% in favor of walker with around 20% of votes tallied.

Local NBC news is now declaring Scott Walker the winner, based on their projections.
Debate.org Moderator
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:00:15 PM
At 6/5/2012 8:54:53 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
The local Fox and NBC affiliates are reporting 61-38% in favor of walker with around 20% of votes tallied.

Local NBC news is now declaring Scott Walker the winner, based on their projections.

I thought that Walker would win the election. Regardless of the outcome.

If Mitt Romney was elected, would our air be clean enough to breathe? Because of all his drill baby drill rhetoric?
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:01:23 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:00:15 PM, Contra wrote:

If Mitt Romney was elected, would our air be clean enough to breathe? Because of all his drill baby drill rhetoric?

Yes...our air would be clean enough to breathe....
Open borders debate:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:03:38 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:01:23 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Yes...our air would be clean enough to breathe....

I hope to god.

I am fine with natural gas though as a transition fuel. We have plenty of it.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:05:16 PM
As a Wisconsin voter I'm tired of this whole thing and glad that it will end today. Though I did not vote for Scott Walker in the previous election, I knew exactly what he was going to do, and then he did it. I was shocked at the reaction to this, the members of the state legislature that fled the state to avoid voiding, and the recall petition that followed.

I almost considered not voting today, but the robo-call I got a few hours ago from Tom Barrett, (The Democrat candidate who lost the first election against Scott Walker and now challenges Walker in the recall) convinced me to go to the polls in opposition of 'robo-calling'.

I'm not a big fan of Scott Walker's methodology, but there are many problems in this state, and a continuation of Barrett style policies for another decade are not going to solves those issues. Milwaukee's problems did not improve under Barrett (when he was mayor) and I have a hard time believing he would do much better as governor.

No matter who wins though, I'm mostly relieved to see this all end. I'm tired of the recall petitioners knocking on my door, I'm tired of the constant partisan arguing that has enveloped the state as of late, and I'd really like whoever wins, to finally be able to focus entirely on actual governing. The state of Wisconsin in general, and the city of Milwaukee in particular, have many problems that need to be tended to, so hopefully our elected officials will be able to do the job we elected them to do tomorrow.

As a fellow Milwaukee citizen/Wisconsinite, I gotta agree with airmax.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:06:09 PM

fix'd

No...Milwaukee and Madison are liberal-land. Everywhere else is QUITE conservative.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:07:13 PM

There isn't any oil, or energy at all for that matter in Wisconsin, I pay 7 dollars a day for electricity... (anyone with their energy bill in front of them wana provide a comparison in a state with a nuke, coal or oil plant?).. so that rhetoric is unlikely to effect me much, or actually come to fruition anyway.

Besides, I'm not really sure why you are directing that question at me, I'm an independent.
Debate.org Moderator
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:10:16 PM
Would you mind sharing your vote with us?

You struck me as a Barrett-man, but from what you wrote, I'd guess you voted Walker.

By all means, don't say who if you don't want to. I'm just curious, as basically the only other Milwaukeean (and Wisconsinite) here.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:10:32 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:07:13 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

There isn't any oil, or energy at all for that matter in Wisconsin, I pay 7 dollars a day for electricity... (anyone with their energy bill in front of them wana provide a comparison in a state with a nuke, coal or oil plant?).. so that rhetoric is unlikely to effect me much, or actually come to fruition anyway.

Besides, I'm not really sure why you are directing that question at me, I'm an independent.

I worded it bad, but I was directed it towards DK. But $7 a day isn't much different from Michigan, there are natural gas refineries (probably a dozen) in the 15 square miles surrounding my neighborhood.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:13:08 PM
But I'll share the idea for the story anyway now, as I don't think I'll ever write it. I may, though, so hands off, please:

Basically, it's the idea that Walker won the recall, but the Democrats and the unions basically revolt against WI. Like, a mini-civil war.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:25:38 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:10:16 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

You struck me as a Barrett-man, but from what you wrote, I'd guess you voted Walker.

By all means, don't say who if you don't want to. I'm just curious, as basically the only other Milwaukeean (and Wisconsinite) here.

I voted for Barrett in the 2010 election. I voted for Walker today. While I don't agree with much of Walker's ideology and methods, there were necessary things he did that needed to be done. I believe this recall was ridiculous and I hope the process is reformed.

The Barrett robo-call thing did upset me though (On my cell phone!), and as odd as it may seem, ultimately it was the deciding factor for me to actually go vote. The call even made sure to point out that I could vote without an ID. Interestingly, I actually got a free ID about 6 months ago because I knew that they were available because the state was pushing for a voter ID law and didn't want to disenfranchise those who couldn't afford it. The DMV wouldn't volunteer this info though, (because the state can't afford it) but for those who were aware, all they had to do was ask for it to be free, and they could get it.
Debate.org Moderator
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:27:55 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:25:38 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/5/2012 9:10:16 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I voted for Barrett in the 2010 election. I voted for Walker today. While I don't agree with much of Walker's ideology and methods, there were necessary things he did that needed to be done. I believe this recall was ridiculous and I hope the process is reformed.

The Barrett robo-call thing did upset me though (On my cell phone!), and as odd as it may seem, ultimately it was the deciding factor for me to actually go vote. The call even made sure to point out that I could vote without an ID. Interestingly, I actually got a free ID about 6 months ago because I knew that they were available because the state was pushing for a voter ID law and didn't want to disenfranchise those who couldn't afford it. The DMV wouldn't volunteer this info though, (because the state can't afford it) but for those who were aware, all they had to do was ask for it to be free, and they could get it.

Yeah, that's something that my liberal friends conveniently fail to mention.

Although I'm not happy with Walker, particularly with the collective bargaining thing, I'm more concerned by Barrett.

And yes: I am a politically active anarchist. Gasp!

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:30:44 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:10:32 PM, Contra wrote:
At 6/5/2012 9:07:13 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I worded it bad, but I was directed it towards DK. But $7 a day isn't much different from Michigan, there are natural gas refineries (probably a dozen) in the 15 square miles surrounding my neighborhood.

hmm I guess it's comparable then. I have no idea where Wisconsin's energy comes from because there isn't a power plant anywhere near me.

According to this, Michigan is on the low end and Indiana is on the high end of the region...

http://www.eia.gov...

But I don't really know enough about the issue, and its probably besides the point...
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 1:07:18 AM
At 6/5/2012 9:06:09 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

fix'd

No...Milwaukee and Madison are liberal-land. Everywhere else is QUITE conservative.

Isn't that the same with everywhere? Larger cities are liberal, rural areas are conservative, for 97% of cases around the country.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 5:38:38 AM
At 6/6/2012 1:07:18 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

fix'd

Isn't that the same with everywhere? Larger cities are liberal, rural areas are conservative, for 97% of cases around the country.

Pretty much, and the same is certainly true in Wisconsin. Since a decent amount of the population of Wisconsin lives in its 2 major cities, it seems to consistently be a blue state.

I had just assumed Obama winning Wisconsin in November was a given, but the results of the elections yesterday make me think it might be a closer election than I had thought...

In 2010 it was obvious to most independents here that the election was going to be a referendum on democrats. (which included the loss of well liked senator Russ Feingold) Given the sentiments we saw yesterday, that may still be true in 5 months.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 9:03:51 AM
At 6/6/2012 5:38:38 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/6/2012 1:07:18 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

fix'd

Pretty much, and the same is certainly true in Wisconsin. Since a decent amount of the population of Wisconsin lives in its 2 major cities, it seems to consistently be a blue state.

I had just assumed Obama winning Wisconsin in November was a given, but the results of the elections yesterday make me think it might be a closer election than I had thought...

In 2010 it was obvious to most independents here that the election was going to be a referendum on democrats. (which included the loss of well liked senator Russ Feingold) Given the sentiments we saw yesterday, that may still be true in 5 months.

Maybe, but you also have to remember that Walker spent about 7.5 times as much as his opponent ($30 million to $4 million) and still only ended with something like 53%. That will not be the same with Obama, and had the democrat spent even half as much Walker, there might be an entirely different story. Also when you consider that in the last several election cycles, the candidate with the most money wins over 90% of the time... well.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"