Jump to topic:

ABC, FOX, and NBC project Walker wins!

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:09:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My own local news channel has official announced that ABC News has official projected that Walker will win.

On Facebook, Herman Cain has announced that FOX and NBC have announced Walker victorious.

Currently:
Scott Walker: 60%
Tom Barrett: 40%
Reporting: 28%

That is a 10% margin. In the 2010 election, Walker beat Barrett with a 5% margin.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:12:17 PM
This is even a wider margin that was projected by most polls and the Real Clear Politics average had Walker winning with a 6.6% margin.

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:15:02 PM
In Egypt the only two remaining candidates are from Mubarak's regime and the other candidate is from the Muslim Brotherhood. The moderate who seemed promising was voted out.

We should hope that the new candidate preserves Egypt's new democracy and its foreign alliances wisely instead of appealing to religious fundamentalists. After all, separation of church and state is crucial for stability. Religion has been found to be the most deadly threat to humanity to itself.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:17:15 PM
Oh yeah, you're in Milwaukee, too. I forgot, thinking that airmax and I were the only ones.

Either way, I'm indifferent. I've been unhappy with both candidates.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:19:35 PM
Lieutenant Governor Kleefisch won hers and so did the four Republican state senators who were being recalled. All elections go to the Republicans.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:20:45 PM
You're calling it a bit early, young Padawan learner.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:22:15 PM
I'm really happy right now.

My news feed has delivered me the first pro-Walker status I've seen on Facebook regarding this election.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:22:55 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:19:35 PM, 1Historygenius wrote:
Lieutenant Governor Kleefisch won hers and so did the four Republican state senators who were being recalled. All elections go to the Republicans.

America is a Progressive nation. Conservatives have just dominated the debate in many areas. Which is not going to remain. Also, GOP voters are old, white, and dying off. That is why they shriek and scream every morning on FAUX news with foam coming from their mouths. They know America is Progressive, and Conservatives have just painted over a layer of paint that is wearing off the more educated Americans will become over time when college eventually becomes more affordable (gov't subsidized).
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:25:53 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:22:55 PM, Contra wrote:

America is a Progressive nation. Conservatives have just dominated the debate in many areas. Which is not going to remain. Also, GOP voters are old, white, and dying off. That is why they shriek and scream every morning on FAUX news with foam coming from their mouths. They know America is Progressive, and Conservatives have just painted over a layer of paint that is wearing off the more educated Americans will become over time when college eventually becomes more affordable (gov't subsidized).

While I don't like your generalization at all, this is why a LOT of people I know (including e) have predicted that, as time goes on, the Republican Party will become basically the libertarian party.

By the way, not all GOP voters are old and white. My father's fairly young, he's a conservative. I know three GOP supporters that are young adults, all of whom are minorities, and lower class.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:29:00 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:25:53 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

While I don't like your generalization at all, this is why a LOT of people I know (including e) have predicted that, as time goes on, the Republican Party will become basically the libertarian party.

Their social issue stances would have to change pretty hard.

By the way, not all GOP voters are old and white. My father's fairly young, he's a conservative. I know three GOP supporters that are young adults, all of whom are minorities, and lower class.

It was a blanket statement, not an all inclusive one. In my community, I am surrounded by conservatives, including school.

The facts from CNN point that as America diversifies in its racial makeup, the GOP will need to adapt and adopt less harsh immigration standards.

And a key benefit for conservatives is that many voters, especially lower class voters, vote GOP against their economic interests. Because they find identity more important than the issues.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:31:10 PM
Contra, as people become more educated, they will become rightist libertarians. Based on economics, a free market style system is the most effective and the one that works the best in theory. So if you are popping the educated argument, then social programs based on emotions aren't going to pass.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:33:36 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:29:00 PM, Contra wrote:

It was a blanket statement, not an all inclusive one. In my community, I am surrounded by conservatives, including school.

The facts from CNN point that as America diversifies in its racial makeup, the GOP will need to adapt and adopt less harsh immigration standards.

And a key benefit for conservatives is that many voters, especially lower class voters, vote GOP against their economic interests. Because they find identity more important than the issues.

That's a lie that the greedy Democrats like to espouse. "If you're poor, you're a Democrat!" "If you're gay, you're a Democrat!" It's sick. It puts the poor and other voters on a level that is subhuman. "Aw, you didn't vote for us. That means you don't know what's best for you." Get real.

It's just like the loaded lies that the greedy Republicans like to espouse--particularly relating to religion.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:35:50 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:31:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Contra, as people become more educated, they will become rightist libertarians. Based on economics, a free market style system is the most effective and the one that works the best in theory. So if you are popping the educated argument, then social programs based on emotions aren't going to pass.

That. I really am tired of the dichotomized manipulation of people. That's why I hope that the libertarians (and partyarchist ancaps) get to take over the Republican Party. Because clearly our namesake party isn't doing well--and NOT because of their beliefs.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:35:58 PM

Most Progressives spit out dry facts that are ineffective.

Second, postgraduates form a large and important base of the Progressive/ Liberal factions of the Democratic party.

Third, the more educated one becomes, they usually become more liberal.

I do agree that the free market distributes resources well, but disparities occur naturally which must be remedied, for the sake of human dignity. Economic progressivism.

Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:37:00 PM

I find it rather presumptuous that you think you can speak for what is in a given voter's "best interest."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:37:28 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:35:58 PM, Contra wrote:

Second, postgraduates form a large and important base of the Progressive/ Liberal factions of the Democratic party.

I do agree that the free market distributes resources well, but disparities occur naturally which must be remedied, for the sake of human dignity. Economic progressivism.

Anarchism! Anyone? Eh.

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:38:39 PM

Yeah, I am sure that the massive majorities the Republicans are picking up here all from old white guys and no one else.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:38:42 PM
Would it be oxymoronic for libertarians to stage a violent revolution to implement libertarian ideals?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:39:05 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:33:36 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

That's a lie that the greedy Democrats like to espouse. "If you're poor, you're a Democrat!" "If you're gay, you're a Democrat!" It's sick. It puts the poor and other voters on a level that is subhuman. "Aw, you didn't vote for us. That means you don't know what's best for you." Get real.

It's not a lie. How is cutting governmental assistance GOOD for workers? How is cutting educational resources good for low income voters? What about the minimum wage? Etc.

And voters do vote based on identity. Many voters who voted for Reagan in '80 disagreed with his policy positions but found his identity - values, authenticity, and trust compelling.

I'm not saying the poor should vote for Democrats, but usually - NOT always - it would help them. Voters care more about identity.

It's just like the loaded lies that the greedy Republicans like to espouse--particularly relating to religion.

+1

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:39:08 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:38:42 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Would it be oxymoronic for libertarians to stage a violent revolution to implement libertarian ideals?

It would be.

Purch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:39:55 PM

Yea I'm pretty sure if this country can survive the fiscal cliff we're about to fall off of, that within the next 5-15 years you'll see Libertarians re take their party. Once they come to realize that we can't sustain a neo-con war budget you'll probably see the non-interventionist libertarians take over.
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:40:53 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:39:55 PM, Purch wrote:

Yea I'm pretty sure if this country can survive the fiscal cliff we're about to fall off of, that within the next 5-15 years you'll see Libertarians re take their party. Once they come to realize that we can't sustain a neo-con war budget you'll probably see the non-interventionist libertarians take over.

+1

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:40:59 PM
The Barrett campaign still believes that the election is still close to call and wont concede yet, which is natural given that there are still people actually voting in Milwaukee and only 60% have been counted..

But at 57% to 42%, Walker has pretty much won already. I'm really shocked by what is going to be the margin of victory. Walker really did win this pretty easily.
Debate.org Moderator
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:41:17 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:38:42 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

No. Libertarianism prohibits the initiation of force and fraud.

Revolting against people who have already initiated one of those is retaliatory force-- a state of affairs cannot have two beginnings.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:42:12 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:39:05 PM, Contra wrote:
At 6/5/2012 9:33:36 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

It's not a lie. How is cutting governmental assistance GOOD for workers? How is cutting educational resources good for low income voters? What about the minimum wage? Etc.

And voters do vote based on identity. Many voters who voted for Reagan in '80 disagreed with his policy positions but found his identity - values, authenticity, and trust compelling.

I'm not saying the poor should vote for Democrats, but usually - NOT always - it would help them. Voters care more about identity.

Oh, look at the intelligentsia who knows what's best for the common folk!

Cutting assistance is good only when all assistance is cut to the corporations as well. People tend to focus on one aspect, but not the other. My libertarian educational system would be entirely voucher, with the government footing the bill while competing just like everyone else for its money back. I've explained it in other threads. Minimum wage is a price ceiling.

+1

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:43:35 PM
Rebecca Kleefisch, the LT Governor (Under Walker, who also has to be reelected in the recall) just gave a victory speech.

It was highlighted by a jab at those seeking the recall, "This is what democracy looks like".
Debate.org Moderator
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:44:25 PM

Cutting assistance is good only when all assistance is cut to the corporations as well. People tend to focus on one aspect, but not the other. My libertarian educational system would be entirely voucher, with the government footing the bill while competing just like everyone else for its money back. I've explained it in other threads. Minimum wage is a price ceiling.

We should invest in all members of our society so that people can become self-nurturant while allowing others in society to flourish with equal access to opportunity so we can achieve broad prosperity in a predominantly Capitalist economy.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:44:40 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:37:28 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 6/5/2012 9:35:58 PM, Contra wrote:

Anarchism! Anyone? Eh.

The thing is that anybody can use whatever ridiculous "empirical" facts they want to prove their positions for a progressive vs. conservative economics. It's a lot of Post hoc ergo propter hoc stuff and correlation doesn't explain causation. It doesn't explain "why" these policies work, many progressives say "these policies will work" based on bias studies.

Economic analysis allows one use to use 'a priori' knowledge and base policy on incentive structures and market forces.

Furthermore, just because the position has a bunch of educated people, it doesn't make the position right. In the 20th century, classical liberalism was all the rage of educated people. These is just one massive ad populum fallacy.

Libertarians also tend to have higher IQs then progressives. But that doesn't necessarily make their policies correct.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:46:04 PM

Your notion that they would in turn become rightist libertarians is supported by what exactly?

All I'm seeing is a surge of conservatives transcending to libertarianism after being made fools out of by people like Cain, Palin, Beck, and more. I don't see any degree of intellectualism in the crowd, rather, I do see a fair bit of populism (as many call it anti-intellectualism).
turn down for h'what
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2012 9:47:40 PM
At 6/5/2012 9:44:25 PM, Contra wrote:

We should invest in all members of our society so that people can become self-nurturant while allowing others in society to flourish with equal access to opportunity so we can achieve broad prosperity in a predominantly Capitalist economy.

Maybe you misread what I said.

NOTE: I am an anarchist. But I still want to work with the system to achieve libertarian goals.

Anyway. The education system many libertarians advocate does involve complete investment--ALL voucher. The only difference is that government schools have to compete to get students to attend them over private schools.