Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Now that the recall's over...

DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 9:34:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
And Walker has won, I posted this status on Facebook:

Okay, everybody!

We all know the results by now. Let's all move on. Both Barrett and Walker said it: avenues need to be reopened again. The election's over, and we need to cooperate. Sides should not be existing here. Making it all us-against-them, from anybody's perspective, is only a detriment. So please. Let's all gather around in a circle, sing Kumbayah, and start to TRY to listen to one another, regardless of disagreements? Please? /endstatus

Living in one of the epicenters for Wisconsin liberalism, I cannot tell you how divisive this election has been. I know what I'm asking for is very idealistic, but the thing is, Wisconsin has a pretty decent track record for civil politics. However, once the squo was upset, communication broke down. Hard. Everybody stopped listening to each other and started DEMANDING things. A sh1t ton of mud was slung, a sh1t ton of money was spent, and a sh1t ton of people got all riled up. But a sh1t ton of working together never happened. A sh1t ton of healthy debate never happened. A sh1t ton of cooperation never happened.

So, basically, I feel that, yes, feel free to disagree with Walker. Feel free to disagree with Barrett. But communicate! Disagree! Argue! Debate! But don't rally the troops around half-truths, strawmen, and scare tactics, like you're leading some holy revolution against a dictator, especially when it's not even close to that.

And it makes me sad that that's what has happened.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 9:46:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with your sentiments, and am happy that this entire ordeal is over with.

It looks as though the state senate is going to flip though, and governing grid lock may be inevitable. At least these elected officials can now finally get back to the actual work they were elected to do.

I'm optimistic though overall, and think things may turn around for Wisconsin, and especially for Milwaukee.
Debate.org Moderator
Microsuck
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 11:02:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I feel that Walker has done that which is necessary. I feel that he has done, overall, a fairly good job.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 12:32:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 12:20:55 PM, westernmarch wrote:
What the hell happened?

In 2010 Scott Walker was elected governor of Wisconsin. Politics happened, then he was recalled. Last night he won the recall election, retaining his position as governor.
Debate.org Moderator
westernmarch
Posts: 1,340
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 12:37:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 12:32:01 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/6/2012 12:20:55 PM, westernmarch wrote:
What the hell happened?

In 2010 Scott Walker was elected governor of Wisconsin. Politics happened, then he was recalled. Last night he won the recall election, retaining his position as governor.

So a shitstorm?
.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 12:44:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 12:37:55 PM, westernmarch wrote:
At 6/6/2012 12:32:01 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/6/2012 12:20:55 PM, westernmarch wrote:
What the hell happened?

In 2010 Scott Walker was elected governor of Wisconsin. Politics happened, then he was recalled. Last night he won the recall election, retaining his position as governor.

So a shitstorm?

Yup, pretty much... Local politics have never been this interesting and significant before here, but it's nice to see its finally over with.

Joseph McCarthy is probably the only other politician from Wisconsin that is as infamous as Walker, though Walker has time now to create a new and lasting legacy, that isn't entirely viewed as anti-unions.
Debate.org Moderator
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 3:26:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For me, how the Democrats/Unions acted during this election made me dislike them even more....it was just immature, and stupid.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 3:31:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 3:26:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
For me, how the Democrats/Unions acted during this election made me dislike them even more....it was just immature, and stupid.

Yeah, using their constitutional rights to gain numbers, garner support, and fight for what they believe in, in a brilliant demonstration of pure American Democracy.....how childish right?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 3:33:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 3:31:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:26:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
For me, how the Democrats/Unions acted during this election made me dislike them even more....it was just immature, and stupid.

Yeah, using their constitutional rights to gain numbers, garner support, and fight for what they believe in, in a brilliant demonstration of pure American Democracy.....how childish right?

No, not that, I'm fine with that.

It was the constant slanders, manipulation of facts until they were indiscernible, attack ads, and just the general hate towards anything and everything Walker, merely because its Walker.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 3:37:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 3:33:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:31:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:26:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
For me, how the Democrats/Unions acted during this election made me dislike them even more....it was just immature, and stupid.

Yeah, using their constitutional rights to gain numbers, garner support, and fight for what they believe in, in a brilliant demonstration of pure American Democracy.....how childish right?

No, not that, I'm fine with that.

It was the constant slanders, manipulation of facts until they were indiscernible, attack ads, and just the general hate towards anything and everything Walker, merely because its Walker.

That's not even close to being true. This movement expanded because of Walkers attempt to gut the power of unions....not because his name is Walker and he's a republican....

Slanders and manipulation of facts is also characteristic of the American political system that is orchestrated by spendthrift corporations...not this movement.

You have no reason to hate them or criticize them. You can disagree with their goals and their ideology, but you must be honest when you scrutinize their methods.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
airmax1227
Posts: 13,240
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 3:44:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 3:33:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:31:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:26:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
For me, how the Democrats/Unions acted during this election made me dislike them even more....it was just immature, and stupid.

Yeah, using their constitutional rights to gain numbers, garner support, and fight for what they believe in, in a brilliant demonstration of pure American Democracy.....how childish right?

No, not that, I'm fine with that.

It was the constant slanders, manipulation of facts until they were indiscernible, attack ads, and just the general hate towards anything and everything Walker, merely because its Walker.

I actually don't have much a problem with all that... It's just the way politics go, and it goes for both sides usually.

The only thing that bothered me was after the first election when the Democrat legislators fled the state so they didn't have to vote, and could prevent the vote from taking place at all. Most people reacted to that depending on what side of the aisle they were on, but as a Wisconsin voter I was embarrassed that our elected officials would do such a thing. I've never even heard of such a thing being done before.
Debate.org Moderator
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 3:57:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 3:41:41 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I posted this on Facebook:


What the FVCK WAS THAT HOLY HELLLLLLLLLLL................
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 4:22:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 3:37:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:33:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:31:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:26:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
For me, how the Democrats/Unions acted during this election made me dislike them even more....it was just immature, and stupid.

Yeah, using their constitutional rights to gain numbers, garner support, and fight for what they believe in, in a brilliant demonstration of pure American Democracy.....how childish right?

No, not that, I'm fine with that.

It was the constant slanders, manipulation of facts until they were indiscernible, attack ads, and just the general hate towards anything and everything Walker, merely because its Walker.

That's not even close to being true. This movement expanded because of Walkers attempt to gut the power of unions....not because his name is Walker and he's a republican....

Slanders and manipulation of facts is also characteristic of the American political system that is orchestrated by spendthrift corporations...not this movement.

You have no reason to hate them or criticize them. You can disagree with their goals and their ideology, but you must be honest when you scrutinize their methods.

Yeah, it kind of was true, Ike. Got to experience it every day since last April or so.

My biggest retrospective criticism is how the teachers reacted. I disagreed with Walker as well in certain respects, however, I must say I was a bit ashamed at the tantrum many teachers threw.

Grade-ins and protesting on their own time is all well and good, and I encourage it. But it bothered me that the teachers literally shut down a school district for 2 weeks while they pitched a b1tch at the capitol building. The fact that they also got fake sick excuses from doctors so that they could get off scot-free for it was upsetting too.

However, the thing that annoyed me the ABSOLUTE most was that they were, in class, basically indoctrinating students with the anti-Walker sentiment. I know no one can truly each objectively, but when I had to listen to teachers say that Walker didn't care about the kids and that what he was doing was evil and terrible IN CLASS, and said it as objective fact versus saying it was their opinion, it bothered me a LOT. And the thing is that a lot of kids unquestioningly went with it. Sure, there were some students who genuinely had that opinion, but I know it was absolutely wrong of the teachers to tell their personal view on the events as fact. Our school even had several student walkouts and spontaneous protests over it. And I sh1t you not, many of them didn't even know who Walker was, or, if they did, WHAT he wanted to do.

It bothered me too the air that the teachers adorned, and continue to adorn now. They've expressed this certain sentiment that they inherently deserve a special level of adoration for being teachers; not for being good teachers, but for simply choosing that profession, they deserve better than everyone else.

I could go even more in depth, but I'll stop there.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 5:26:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 4:22:05 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:37:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:33:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:31:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:26:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
For me, how the Democrats/Unions acted during this election made me dislike them even more....it was just immature, and stupid.

Yeah, using their constitutional rights to gain numbers, garner support, and fight for what they believe in, in a brilliant demonstration of pure American Democracy.....how childish right?

No, not that, I'm fine with that.

It was the constant slanders, manipulation of facts until they were indiscernible, attack ads, and just the general hate towards anything and everything Walker, merely because its Walker.

That's not even close to being true. This movement expanded because of Walkers attempt to gut the power of unions....not because his name is Walker and he's a republican....

Slanders and manipulation of facts is also characteristic of the American political system that is orchestrated by spendthrift corporations...not this movement.

You have no reason to hate them or criticize them. You can disagree with their goals and their ideology, but you must be honest when you scrutinize their methods.

Yeah, it kind of was true, Ike. Got to experience it every day since last April or so.

My biggest retrospective criticism is how the teachers reacted. I disagreed with Walker as well in certain respects, however, I must say I was a bit ashamed at the tantrum many teachers threw.

Grade-ins and protesting on their own time is all well and good, and I encourage it. But it bothered me that the teachers literally shut down a school district for 2 weeks while they pitched a b1tch at the capitol building. The fact that they also got fake sick excuses from doctors so that they could get off scot-free for it was upsetting too.

However, the thing that annoyed me the ABSOLUTE most was that they were, in class, basically indoctrinating students with the anti-Walker sentiment. I know no one can truly each objectively, but when I had to listen to teachers say that Walker didn't care about the kids and that what he was doing was evil and terrible IN CLASS, and said it as objective fact versus saying it was their opinion, it bothered me a LOT. And the thing is that a lot of kids unquestioningly went with it. Sure, there were some students who genuinely had that opinion, but I know it was absolutely wrong of the teachers to tell their personal view on the events as fact. Our school even had several student walkouts and spontaneous protests over it. And I sh1t you not, many of them didn't even know who Walker was, or, if they did, WHAT he wanted to do.

It bothered me too the air that the teachers adorned, and continue to adorn now. They've expressed this certain sentiment that they inherently deserve a special level of adoration for being teachers; not for being good teachers, but for simply choosing that profession, they deserve better than everyone else.

I could go even more in depth, but I'll stop there.

I don't believe your sentiments are justified. There will always be an ignorant bunch in every movement that makes the cause look bad...just like the college kids hanging out in Zucotti Park and provoking police because it was the cool thing to do.

However, I could easily point to the people that didn't know what they were doing in the Progressive Movement, the Civil Rights movement, the Women's Rights movement, and the Gay Rights Movement. That doesn't mean the mvt is illegitimate.

On your point about teachers acting like x and doing y. That's a rash generalization that has no relevance beyond your opinion...not to be harsh, but still.

The teacher protests and shutting things down - fully justified. An effective movement is one that disrupts the peace. There's nothing more ineffective than a protest that disturbs nothing.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 5:35:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 5:26:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 4:22:05 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:37:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:33:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:31:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:26:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
For me, how the Democrats/Unions acted during this election made me dislike them even more....it was just immature, and stupid.

Yeah, using their constitutional rights to gain numbers, garner support, and fight for what they believe in, in a brilliant demonstration of pure American Democracy.....how childish right?

No, not that, I'm fine with that.

It was the constant slanders, manipulation of facts until they were indiscernible, attack ads, and just the general hate towards anything and everything Walker, merely because its Walker.

That's not even close to being true. This movement expanded because of Walkers attempt to gut the power of unions....not because his name is Walker and he's a republican....

Slanders and manipulation of facts is also characteristic of the American political system that is orchestrated by spendthrift corporations...not this movement.

You have no reason to hate them or criticize them. You can disagree with their goals and their ideology, but you must be honest when you scrutinize their methods.

Yeah, it kind of was true, Ike. Got to experience it every day since last April or so.

My biggest retrospective criticism is how the teachers reacted. I disagreed with Walker as well in certain respects, however, I must say I was a bit ashamed at the tantrum many teachers threw.

Grade-ins and protesting on their own time is all well and good, and I encourage it. But it bothered me that the teachers literally shut down a school district for 2 weeks while they pitched a b1tch at the capitol building. The fact that they also got fake sick excuses from doctors so that they could get off scot-free for it was upsetting too.

However, the thing that annoyed me the ABSOLUTE most was that they were, in class, basically indoctrinating students with the anti-Walker sentiment. I know no one can truly each objectively, but when I had to listen to teachers say that Walker didn't care about the kids and that what he was doing was evil and terrible IN CLASS, and said it as objective fact versus saying it was their opinion, it bothered me a LOT. And the thing is that a lot of kids unquestioningly went with it. Sure, there were some students who genuinely had that opinion, but I know it was absolutely wrong of the teachers to tell their personal view on the events as fact. Our school even had several student walkouts and spontaneous protests over it. And I sh1t you not, many of them didn't even know who Walker was, or, if they did, WHAT he wanted to do.

It bothered me too the air that the teachers adorned, and continue to adorn now. They've expressed this certain sentiment that they inherently deserve a special level of adoration for being teachers; not for being good teachers, but for simply choosing that profession, they deserve better than everyone else.

I could go even more in depth, but I'll stop there.

I don't believe your sentiments are justified. There will always be an ignorant bunch in every movement that makes the cause look bad...just like the college kids hanging out in Zucotti Park and provoking police because it was the cool thing to do.

However, I could easily point to the people that didn't know what they were doing in the Progressive Movement, the Civil Rights movement, the Women's Rights movement, and the Gay Rights Movement. That doesn't mean the mvt is illegitimate.

On your point about teachers acting like x and doing y. That's a rash generalization that has no relevance beyond your opinion...not to be harsh, but still.

The teacher protests and shutting things down - fully justified. An effective movement is one that disrupts the peace. There's nothing more ineffective than a protest that disturbs nothing.

Right, but the fact remains that what I observed personally was wrong.

And I think it's a bit interesting to say you care about the kids' educations, and then shut down the entire system for 2 weeks because you're unhappy with having to actually pay for healthcare, and having reduced bargaining abilities (they could still bargain, just involving less). It becomes especially ridiculous upon further examination, not only of the state of the public unions pre-Walker, having a stranglehold on public education so that teachers and administrators got the benefit while actual programs and materials for the students withered, but also of the very nature of public unions themselves. I fully support freedom of association, so that's fine, but what's kind of interesting is that the unions are able to choose who they'll have to bargain with. They're able to use their influence to get their choice of employer elected, undermining the whole point of a union: to protect the worker from the employer. They also have the ability to control the very demand for themselves in a similar vein.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 5:36:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 3:57:34 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
What the FVCK WAS THAT HOLY HELLLLLLLLLLL................

The best part is that you didn't catch all the subliminal messages.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 5:44:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 5:36:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:57:34 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
What the FVCK WAS THAT HOLY HELLLLLLLLLLL................

The best part is that you didn't catch all the subliminal messages.

Do tell.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 5:50:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 5:44:02 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/6/2012 5:36:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:57:34 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
What the FVCK WAS THAT HOLY HELLLLLLLLLLL................

The best part is that you didn't catch all the subliminal messages.

Do tell.

You have to find them. I'll give you one. Look at the part where the notepad says "time" on it. It actually says "to me" and has a brain pointing to it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 6:02:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 5:50:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/6/2012 5:44:02 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/6/2012 5:36:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:57:34 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
What the FVCK WAS THAT HOLY HELLLLLLLLLLL................

The best part is that you didn't catch all the subliminal messages.

Do tell.

You have to find them. I'll give you one. Look at the part where the notepad says "time" on it. It actually says "to me" and has a brain pointing to it.

At the 2:25 mark something in the top right corner has eyes 0.0
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 6:16:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 6:06:31 PM, FREEDO wrote:


That's a normal day in my life.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2012 11:07:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/6/2012 3:31:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/6/2012 3:26:23 PM, OberHerr wrote:
For me, how the Democrats/Unions acted during this election made me dislike them even more....it was just immature, and stupid.

Yeah, using their constitutional rights to gain numbers, garner support, and fight for what they believe in, in a brilliant demonstration of pure American Democracy.....how childish right?

I think they lost in the democratic arena.

Note that you didn't actually describe their actions at all. You gave us pure evaluation with no descriptive content.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.