Jump to topic:

Bye Bye Taxes

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 12:27:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Good riddance. How the hell does someone morally justify a property tax anyway? "Oh, you bought this but you still owe us money on it"
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 12:53:03 PM
At 6/12/2012 12:27:28 PM, thett3 wrote:
Good riddance. How the hell does someone morally justify a property tax anyway? "Oh, you bought this but you still owe us money on it"

The same way the justify taxes on inheritances.

The government thinks they need the money, and so they find a way to get it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:03:46 PM
At 6/12/2012 12:53:03 PM, OberHerr wrote:

The inheritance tax is absurd but I don't think you can correlate the two together.
Thinks they need the money? Where are the funds for public services suppose to come from, government liquidations? They need money for infastructure, great society programs, military budget/defense funds, transportation, health costs, education, veterans benefits, technology research, energy research, environmental studies, international affairs, human services, agriculture, and much more.

I don't like property taxes and especially inheritance taxes, but saying that there doesn't exist legitimate uses of tax revenue is pretty absurd by asserting that they 'think' they need the money.
turn down for h'what
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:09:33 PM
At 6/12/2012 12:14:24 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
North Dakota is voting today whether to eliminate property tax entirely.

I wonder what the out come will be </sarcasm>

http://www.usatoday.com...

http://www.nytimes.com...

Thoughts?

Good.... If you ask me NH should switch their property tax for a sales tax.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:22:06 PM
At 6/12/2012 1:03:46 PM, Aaronroy wrote:

The inheritance tax is absurd but I don't think you can correlate the two together.
Thinks they need the money? Where are the funds for public services suppose to come from, government liquidations? They need money for infastructure, great society programs, military budget/defense funds, transportation, health costs, education, veterans benefits, technology research, energy research, environmental studies, international affairs, human services, agriculture, and much more.

Half of these are optional and unnecessary. The other half can be privately provided.

I don't like property taxes and especially inheritance taxes, but saying that there doesn't exist legitimate uses of tax revenue is pretty absurd by asserting that they 'think' they need the money.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 1:34:42 PM

No justification behind why these services must and only can be provided by forceful theft from the populace. Why can't they be privately funded brah?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 3:15:18 PM

"Thinks they need the money"? lol

Exactly what kind of justification are you looking for, or do you believe that we should rely on a system where everyone donates whatever they feel like to fund the government?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 3:18:49 PM
At 6/12/2012 1:34:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:

No justification behind why these services must and only can be provided by forceful theft from the populace. Why can't they be privately funded brah?

Government programs are directed towards protecting the greater good of society. Relying on private funding for all of these services will not lead towards this end as it is the responsibility of every private organization to protect their own self interests.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 3:22:32 PM
At 6/12/2012 3:18:49 PM, Double_R wrote:

Government programs are directed towards protecting the greater good of society. Relying on private funding for all of these services will not lead towards this end as it is the responsibility of every private organization to protect their own self interests.

That presumes that governments are effective in their programs. A successful private sector program benefiting only those who pay for it is superior to a failed public sector program that benefits no one and wastes tax dollars.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 3:25:48 PM

Interesting ignorance of the government's obvious protection of its own interests. Being a part of the government doesn't make someone automatically a saint. All it does is give that person a higher level of power than everyone else in society. Why do you think this would lead to them acting for the greater good of society, when you at the same time say people with private interests wouldn't. What exactly changes?
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 3:40:25 PM
At 6/12/2012 3:25:48 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Interesting ignorance of the government's obvious protection of its own interests. Being a part of the government doesn't make someone automatically a saint. All it does is give that person a higher level of power than everyone else in society. Why do you think this would lead to them acting for the greater good of society, when you at the same time say people with private interests wouldn't. What exactly changes?

What exactly do you consider to be the "governments own self interests"?

And no being part of the government does not make someone a saint, that is why we have branches made up of many politicians who debate and vote on issues. Their motive is to get re-elected, which is accomplished by appealing to the voters which includes everyone in their area of society. That is very different then a CEO who's only motive is to make money for their shareholders.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 3:49:13 PM
At 6/12/2012 3:22:32 PM, thett3 wrote:

That presumes that governments are effective in their programs. A successful private sector program benefiting only those who pay for it is superior to a failed public sector program that benefits no one and wastes tax dollars.

Do you consider our military a failure? How about our police force? Our school system?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 3:53:43 PM
At 6/12/2012 3:49:13 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 6/12/2012 3:22:32 PM, thett3 wrote:

Do you consider our military a failure?

Many actions of them, yes.

How about our police force?

Absolutely. Unless you consider a cop hiding behind a bush waiting for someone to go 5 miles over the speed limit as protection.

Our school system?

It seems irrefutable that it has failed miserably.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 4:10:17 PM
At 6/12/2012 3:40:25 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 6/12/2012 3:25:48 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Encroachment of power, monetary wealth, domination over others, basically the same interests as anyone else. As you admitted, you don't become a saint as a part of the government so you have the same problems with dubious interests as within the private sector.

And no being part of the government does not make someone a saint, that is why we have branches made up of many politicians who debate and vote on issues. Their motive is to get re-elected, which is accomplished by appealing to the voters which includes everyone in their area of society. That is very different then a CEO who's only motive is to make money for their shareholders.

So many problems. First, appealing to voters doesn't in itself mean that a politician will act in the "public interest". The existence of a large scale democracy means that voter incentives are largely skewed away from actually holding politicians accountable. Being that one's single vote or single amount of work possible with other interests is miniscule, voters have a dis-incentive to be actually interested in holding politicians accountable. See public choice theory for more in-depth information on the subject.

Also, remember that different government sections (legislative, judicial, etc.) doesn't necessarily mean genuine division of interests as much as Walmart legal and custodial branches wouldn't mean genuine division of interests. They all work within the same institution.
:
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 4:13:03 PM
At 6/12/2012 3:53:43 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/12/2012 3:49:13 PM, Double_R wrote:
Do you consider our military a failure?

Many actions of them, yes.

How about our police force?

Absolutely. Unless you consider a cop hiding behind a bush waiting for someone to go 5 miles over the speed limit as protection.

Our school system?

It seems irrefutable that it has failed miserably.

Then I guess we have different definitions of failure. Apparently having the most powerful military in the world is a failure. So is the fact that I can walk around at night confident that I will not be mugged (and I live in the Bronx). So is having one of the most educated workforces in the world.

I am not sure what you expect from your tax dollars, but it doesn't seem realistic. A cop hiding in the bushes waiting to ticket you may not seem like a good thing, but do you ever stop and wonder how many of your friends would be dead by now if not for speed limits and cops enforcing them? Seems like a very silly basis of failure.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2012 4:54:51 PM
At 6/12/2012 4:10:17 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 6/12/2012 3:40:25 PM, Double_R wrote:

Encroachment of power, monetary wealth, domination over others, basically the same interests as anyone else. As you admitted, you don't become a saint as a part of the government so you have the same problems with dubious interests as within the private sector.

You speak of the government like it is a person. The government is made up of individuals who serve as politicians. Can you please explain to me what benefit there is to an individual politician to increase the power of the government that they serve? Particularly, a politician that is serving a limited term? Your comment about monetarry wealth makes no sense. Politicians do not get a bigger paycheck by raising taxes.

So many problems. First, appealing to voters doesn't in itself mean that a politician will act in the "public interest". The existence of a large scale democracy means that voter incentives are largely skewed away from actually holding politicians accountable. Being that one's single vote or single amount of work possible with other interests is miniscule, voters have a dis-incentive to be actually interested in holding politicians accountable. See public choice theory for more in-depth information on the subject.

Nothing will guarantee that a politician will act in the public's best interest. I fail to see the relevance of your point. This has nothing to do with each individual, but the overall results. Human nature dictates that people will act in their own personal interests first. That is why we set up a system where we made it someone's responsibility to act in the best interest of society and made sure that it is in their personal interest to achieve that result by ensuring that the people they serve determine if they keep their jobs. People follow motives set for them. Showing me a few examples where this was not the case does not change this.

Telling me that voters are dis-incentivized to hold politicians accountable does not mean that politicians are not held accountable. How many politicians lost their jobs in 2010 after passing Obamacare? That is the reality for a politician, a reality you completely disregard.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 1:21:57 AM

Thoughts?

Are they planning on offsetting it in any way?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 1:28:09 AM
At 6/13/2012 1:21:57 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Thoughts?

Are they planning on offsetting it in any way?

I'm not sure. From what I've read no.

But that may be because right now North Dakota has one of the best state economies in the country due to the recent oil boom there.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 2:17:17 AM
Where are the funds for public services suppose to come from
User fees.

hey need money for infastructure,
That's a buzzword, not a thing.

great society programs
That's an evil altruist buzzword that happens to be way out of date not a thing.

military budget/defense funds
Since these are a cost of doing business for a jurisdictional administration corporation, take it out of the law enforcement user fee.

transportation
Tolls, fares.

health costs
If you can't imagine how to pay for health care without involving a taxpayer there's something wrong with your imagination. Or, hell, your observation of many presently operating health care facilities (though not the majority).

education
We call it tuition.

veterans benefits
You already mentioned military costs. Either these are in the contract and hence I accounted for them above or they are stupid charity.

technology research
See, there are these things called businesses that get to license or produce and sell their inventions, thus having an incentive to invent them.

energy research
You just mentioned this above.

environmental studies
Find out who wants it. They can pay for it or go without.

international affairs
This isn't a thing. It could be any number of things.

human services
this isn't a thing. It could be any number of things.

agriculture
It's called selling the produce.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 2:18:34 AM
Government programs are directed towards protecting the greater good of society.
There's no such thing. There is nothing greater to any actor than the good of that actor, and there is no good outside the context of an actor. Society is not an actor.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 2:20:00 AM
I want a video game. Why should/shouldn't I involve a taxpayer?
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 2:27:29 AM

Thoughts?

I like it, if they want to give away free tvs I think it should be voted on and put to the test. If it fails then they learned a good lesson, if it works then great. Im sure no one has ever tried this in 200+ years, back then a bunch of greedy politicians formulated this plot to steal money from the people of this country. It's not like people didn't try to privatize everything before, we have the next greatest idea here. It's new and best of all we don't have to fork out money.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 1:47:06 PM
At 6/13/2012 2:18:34 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Government programs are directed towards protecting the greater good of society.
There's no such thing. There is nothing greater to any actor than the good of that actor, and there is no good outside the context of an actor. Society is not an actor.

So since there is no such thing as the greater good what would you call a government investing in clean energy or a national highway system?
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 1:50:25 PM
At 6/13/2012 1:47:06 PM, Double_R wrote:

So since there is no such thing as the greater good what would you call a government investing in clean energy or a national highway system?

Theft.
:
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 1:54:41 PM
At 6/13/2012 1:50:25 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Theft.

OK then. I guess not everyone needs to worry about clean air to breath, or a way to travel or ship goods around the country. It's just our selfish government acting in it's own self interests.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 1:58:48 PM
At 6/13/2012 1:54:41 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 6/13/2012 1:50:25 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Theft.

OK then. I guess not everyone needs to worry about clean air to breath, or a way to travel or ship goods around the country. It's just our selfish government acting in it's own self interests.

Say what you want about why the government is necessary to provide various services (never actually defended the thesis btw), but at least admit it's theft pure and clear.
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 3:03:17 PM

Assuming you're talking about using tax money to do so, I concur with the theft, and would also note that it is theft from people who care less about how "clean"energy is and to people who care more about it-- and theft from people who drive less to people who drive more.
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 4:39:57 PM
At 6/13/2012 1:54:41 PM, Double_R wrote:

OK then. I guess not everyone needs to worry about clean air to breath,

That is what tort law is for.

or a way to travel or ship goods around the country. It's just our selfish government acting in it's own self interests.

Because the Postal Service is run so much more efficiently than UPS or FedEx.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2012 5:17:18 PM

This a thousand times.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.