Total Posts:62|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

National Minimum Wage

MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 8:51:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't think there should be a state minimum wage, let alone a national one. The minimum wage is a form of price control, because it controls how much a worker can recieve for his labor and how much an employer must pay for it. Minimum wage causes inflation and unemployment, because the higher the minimum wage rises the more cost effective it becomes to either automate jobs or move factories overseas. With that in mind, a national minimum wage would be disasterous for the economy.

In short; there is nothing good about the minimum wage; for the laborer or for the capitalist.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 8:56:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It distorts the market and doesnt help the worker.

Oh business men would pay them the minimum!
Then why isn't everyone getting the minimum? 7$. because people get paid their worth.

It ruins the equilibrium and makes it impossible for teenagers, minorities, and low skilled workers (both of those groups) to get a job.

It's only effect is negative.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 8:59:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Harms:

Higher unemployment
Higher prices
Higher inflation
-> crap economy

Benefits:

Makes people feel like do gooders
And...
Um...
Well...
Yeah...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
SayWhat
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 9:33:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 8:59:27 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Harms:

Higher unemployment
Higher prices
Higher inflation
-> crap economy

Benefits:

Makes people feel like do gooders
And...
Um...
Well...
Yeah...

But don't you think that abolishing pay requirements creates abuse by the capitalists and leaders of the marketplace?
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 9:38:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
But don't you think that abolishing pay requirements creates abuse by the capitalists and leaders of the marketplace?

No, because supply and demand still apply in the labor market. Pay will be determined by a value set by the market, and not by government mandate. Unskilled workers and new workers will have greater access to jobs, inflation will be curbed, and more jobs will be created.
TheOrator
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:38:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I actually wrote my first essay in History class this year on the errors on the Progressive Era, with the Minimum Wage chief among them. I pointed out how A.) Minimum wage is almost useless, as even in the Labor Market supply and demand still exists in the sense that if there's a job that nobody wants, the majority of people won't take a dirt-poor wage, and B.) It actually distorts the economy rather than help it. I lucked out and got a Libertarian History Teacher, so my essay wasn't disregarded as BS :P Unfortunately a lot of people think that proposing Minimum Wage is a bad system is BS.
My legend begins in the 12th century
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:40:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 9:33:10 AM, SayWhat wrote:
At 6/14/2012 8:59:27 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Harms:

Higher unemployment
Higher prices
Higher inflation
-> crap economy

Benefits:

Makes people feel like do gooders
And...
Um...
Well...
Yeah...

But don't you think that abolishing pay requirements creates abuse by the capitalists and leaders of the marketplace?

Only 1-2% of jobs are paid at the minimum wage. If everyone is so out to screw their workers, why isn't that number higher?

Free markets determine price based off of the best win-win scenario for an employer and its employee(s). Employers who pay less have less skilled, less experienced, and generally less hard-working employees. They get more productivity out of paying more.

The only regulation that is actually needed is to keep things like child sweat shops and illegal workers undermining the market from happening.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:43:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:38:06 AM, TheOrator wrote:
I actually wrote my first essay in History class this year on the errors on the Progressive Era, with the Minimum Wage chief among them. I pointed out how A.) Minimum wage is almost useless, as even in the Labor Market supply and demand still exists in the sense that if there's a job that nobody wants, the majority of people won't take a dirt-poor wage, and B.) It actually distorts the economy rather than help it. I lucked out and got a Libertarian History Teacher, so my essay wasn't disregarded as BS :P Unfortunately a lot of people think that proposing Minimum Wage is a bad system is BS.

The minimum wage was part of the elements of FDR's construction of the American Welfare State in the 1930s.

The minimum wage creates unemployment by creating a artificial wage floor, which all labor under that value is unemployed or many of them are. If there was no bureaucratic involvement, unemployment would not exist.

I think that if we expanded the Earned Income Tax Credit as well as eliminated the minimum wage, and allowed the free market to work itself out it would do everything fine. Because in theory, it is superior.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:44:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Look at this:

http://www.bls.gov...

Unemployment for people age 16-19 is 24.6%.

Unemployment for people age 20+ is 7.6%.

Generally speaking, unskilled/inexperienced workers can't find work. I wonder how much more work would be possible for teenagers if they were allowed to work for, let's say, $1/hr less than they are now?

Is $6.50/hr better or worse than $0/hr?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:49:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:44:20 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Look at this:

http://www.bls.gov...

Unemployment for people age 16-19 is 24.6%.

Unemployment for people age 20+ is 7.6%.

Generally speaking, unskilled/inexperienced workers can't find work. I wonder how much more work would be possible for teenagers if they were allowed to work for, let's say, $1/hr less than they are now?

Is $6.50/hr better or worse than $0/hr?

Good point.

Although $2.50 an hour (like in the 1980s) is too low to live on.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Eliminating a minimum wage would be disastrous. Before the minimum wage, people were underpaid for their labor, and if they complained, they were immediately booted and someone else would replace them. Not only that, but before the minimum wage was implemented, employers in factories and other entry level institutions would actually pay less than they promised.

If you think that people won't work for minute amounts of money, I don't think you have ever faced desperation. Plus, the market exponentially drops wages for the lowest positions as the population size increases because there will be more workers.

I encourage anybody who disagrees with me to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. It is a solid book.

I'm only against the Minimum Wage in the context of an Anarchist Communist society, in which everyone's needs are provided for.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:44:20 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Look at this:

http://www.bls.gov...

Unemployment for people age 16-19 is 24.6%.

Unemployment for people age 20+ is 7.6%.

Generally speaking, unskilled/inexperienced workers can't find work. I wonder how much more work would be possible for teenagers if they were allowed to work for, let's say, $1/hr less than they are now?

Is $6.50/hr better or worse than $0/hr?

It's too bad that whenever you present facts and logic to a proponent of the minimum wage regulations they'll just say something along the lines of, "you're heartless and you obviously hate the poor."
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:54:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:44:20 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Look at this:

http://www.bls.gov...

Unemployment for people age 16-19 is 24.6%.

Unemployment for people age 20+ is 7.6%.

Generally speaking, unskilled/inexperienced workers can't find work. I wonder how much more work would be possible for teenagers if they were allowed to work for, let's say, $1/hr less than they are now?

Is $6.50/hr better or worse than $0/hr?

Employment is worthless if people are not being paid enough to survive.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:55:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Note that today, it is pretty much impossible to survive even on a minimum wage job. The first thing that Wal Mart does when it employs entry level workers is hand them an application for food stamps.
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 10:59:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:49:32 AM, Contra wrote:
At 6/14/2012 10:44:20 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Look at this:

http://www.bls.gov...

Unemployment for people age 16-19 is 24.6%.

Unemployment for people age 20+ is 7.6%.

Generally speaking, unskilled/inexperienced workers can't find work. I wonder how much more work would be possible for teenagers if they were allowed to work for, let's say, $1/hr less than they are now?

Is $6.50/hr better or worse than $0/hr?

Good point.

Although $2.50 an hour (like in the 1980s) is too low to live on.

Right, but it's still better than $0/hr. There are a lot of people who do contract-type work online for less than minimum wage, because it's the only work they can find. A lot of writers making $4/hr because they would rather earn that than nothing. A lot of retired people are doing contract jobs at MTurk for $0.05/job because it's better than nothing.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:00:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Eliminating a minimum wage would be disastrous. Before the minimum wage, people were underpaid for their labor, and if they complained, they were immediately booted and someone else would replace them. Not only that, but before the minimum wage was implemented, employers in factories and other entry level institutions would actually pay less than they promised.

If you think that people won't work for minute amounts of money, I don't think you have ever faced desperation. Plus, the market exponentially drops wages for the lowest positions as the population size increases because there will be more workers.

I encourage anybody who disagrees with me to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. It is a solid book.

I'm only against the Minimum Wage in the context of an Anarchist Communist society, in which everyone's needs are provided for.

The era you are referring to is an era where government favored business over labor, and took an active role in union busting. When the government actively busts unions they create an imbalance in the market between labor and business, giving all the negotiating power to business. The pendulum has swung toward labor in the modern era and we're seeing the opposite effects; the government now supports labor at the expense of business, and businesses are fleeing the country for more business friendly environments.

Minimum wage has nothing to do with any of that of course. If you let labor organize and if the government stays out of the employee-employer relationship everything will be fine.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:02:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Eliminating a minimum wage would be disastrous. Before the minimum wage, people were underpaid for their labor, and if they complained, they were immediately booted and someone else would replace them. Not only that, but before the minimum wage was implemented, employers in factories and other entry level institutions would actually pay less than they promised.

If they joined with a contract, they could sue the employer in court and get their money's worth.

And with the property rights of factory owners, they have a right to do so unless they formed contracts with any employees or other people.

If you think that people won't work for minute amounts of money, I don't think you have ever faced desperation. Plus, the market exponentially drops wages for the lowest positions as the population size increases because there will be more workers.

That is why immigration should be restricted and we should deport the 11 million recent immigrants. Wages for the poor would increase by the basic law of supply and demand.

I encourage anybody who disagrees with me to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. It is a solid book.

I'm only against the Minimum Wage in the context of an Anarchist Communist society, in which everyone's needs are provided for.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:03:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A minimum wage is the single largest anti-black policy ever enacted.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:03:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Eliminating a minimum wage would be disastrous. Before the minimum wage, people were underpaid for their labor, and if they complained, they were immediately booted and someone else would replace them. Not only that, but before the minimum wage was implemented, employers in factories and other entry level institutions would actually pay less than they promised.

If you think that people won't work for minute amounts of money, I don't think you have ever faced desperation. Plus, the market exponentially drops wages for the lowest positions as the population size increases because there will be more workers.

I encourage anybody who disagrees with me to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. It is a solid book.

I'm only against the Minimum Wage in the context of an Anarchist Communist society, in which everyone's needs are provided for.

Actually, the larger percentage of the population that is employed, the more wages will naturally increase, as employers have to compete for workers.

If we put the 24% of teens who are out of work to work for less than minimum wage, then those employers would end up having to compete for the unskilled workers.

It's exactly why only 1-2% of jobs are minimum wage jobs. The market dictates wages naturally. The lower unemployment gets(real unemployment, not just people who aren't collecting checks), the more employers have to compete, and wages go up. If supply shrinks, prices go up. It's pretty simple.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:04:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 11:00:09 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Eliminating a minimum wage would be disastrous. Before the minimum wage, people were underpaid for their labor, and if they complained, they were immediately booted and someone else would replace them. Not only that, but before the minimum wage was implemented, employers in factories and other entry level institutions would actually pay less than they promised.

If you think that people won't work for minute amounts of money, I don't think you have ever faced desperation. Plus, the market exponentially drops wages for the lowest positions as the population size increases because there will be more workers.

I encourage anybody who disagrees with me to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. It is a solid book.

I'm only against the Minimum Wage in the context of an Anarchist Communist society, in which everyone's needs are provided for.

The era you are referring to is an era where government favored business over labor, and took an active role in union busting. When the government actively busts unions they create an imbalance in the market between labor and business, giving all the negotiating power to business. The pendulum has swung toward labor in the modern era and we're seeing the opposite effects; the government now supports labor at the expense of business, and businesses are fleeing the country for more business friendly environments.

Actually gov't is now against unions, starting with President Reagan's actions of making the airline patrol workers go back to work or get laid off. Our actions of right to work have reduced union activity.

Minimum wage has nothing to do with any of that of course. If you let labor organize and if the government stays out of the employee-employer relationship everything will be fine.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:05:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 6/14/2012 10:44:20 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Look at this:

http://www.bls.gov...

Unemployment for people age 16-19 is 24.6%.

Unemployment for people age 20+ is 7.6%.

Generally speaking, unskilled/inexperienced workers can't find work. I wonder how much more work would be possible for teenagers if they were allowed to work for, let's say, $1/hr less than they are now?

Is $6.50/hr better or worse than $0/hr?

It's too bad that whenever you present facts and logic to a proponent of the minimum wage regulations they'll just say something along the lines of, "you're heartless and you obviously hate the poor."

It's funny and sad how much partisan ideology causes everybody to not care about facts. Facts that don't fit your party line should be ignored. All parties do this, all sides do it, I do it... We care more about being on the 'right' team than what the truth is.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:05:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 11:03:33 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
A minimum wage is the single largest anti-black policy ever enacted.

I think Jim Crow, but okay.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:05:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 11:00:09 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Eliminating a minimum wage would be disastrous. Before the minimum wage, people were underpaid for their labor, and if they complained, they were immediately booted and someone else would replace them. Not only that, but before the minimum wage was implemented, employers in factories and other entry level institutions would actually pay less than they promised.

If you think that people won't work for minute amounts of money, I don't think you have ever faced desperation. Plus, the market exponentially drops wages for the lowest positions as the population size increases because there will be more workers.

I encourage anybody who disagrees with me to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. It is a solid book.

I'm only against the Minimum Wage in the context of an Anarchist Communist society, in which everyone's needs are provided for.

The era you are referring to is an era where government favored business over labor, and took an active role in union busting. When the government actively busts unions they create an imbalance in the market between labor and business, giving all the negotiating power to business. The pendulum has swung toward labor in the modern era and we're seeing the opposite effects; the government now supports labor at the expense of business, and businesses are fleeing the country for more business friendly environments.

Minimum wage has nothing to do with any of that of course. If you let labor organize and if the government stays out of the employee-employer relationship everything will be fine.

Unions arose as a result of wage problems; because people were paid so little and were often given less than they were promised, unions arose to protect the workers.

Unions can only exist with external aid. If the government does not help unions, then it necessarily has to bust them according to property rights laws.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:06:12 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 11:04:25 AM, Contra wrote:
At 6/14/2012 11:00:09 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Eliminating a minimum wage would be disastrous. Before the minimum wage, people were underpaid for their labor, and if they complained, they were immediately booted and someone else would replace them. Not only that, but before the minimum wage was implemented, employers in factories and other entry level institutions would actually pay less than they promised.

If you think that people won't work for minute amounts of money, I don't think you have ever faced desperation. Plus, the market exponentially drops wages for the lowest positions as the population size increases because there will be more workers.

I encourage anybody who disagrees with me to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. It is a solid book.

I'm only against the Minimum Wage in the context of an Anarchist Communist society, in which everyone's needs are provided for.

The era you are referring to is an era where government favored business over labor, and took an active role in union busting. When the government actively busts unions they create an imbalance in the market between labor and business, giving all the negotiating power to business. The pendulum has swung toward labor in the modern era and we're seeing the opposite effects; the government now supports labor at the expense of business, and businesses are fleeing the country for more business friendly environments.

Actually gov't is now against unions, starting with President Reagan's actions of making the airline patrol workers go back to work or get laid off. Our actions of right to work have reduced union activity.

Minimum wage has nothing to do with any of that of course. If you let labor organize and if the government stays out of the employee-employer relationship everything will be fine.
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:06:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 10:54:33 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/14/2012 10:44:20 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Look at this:

http://www.bls.gov...

Unemployment for people age 16-19 is 24.6%.

Unemployment for people age 20+ is 7.6%.

Generally speaking, unskilled/inexperienced workers can't find work. I wonder how much more work would be possible for teenagers if they were allowed to work for, let's say, $1/hr less than they are now?

Is $6.50/hr better or worse than $0/hr?

Employment is worthless if people are not being paid enough to survive.

Yeah, being able to put 24% of teens to work for some money is worthless, and actually worse than having those 24% of teens make no money at all.

Do you think minimum wage dictates the majority of wages?

Wouldn't it be nice for teens to be able to work for $5/hr, earn and save money, gain experience, and build skills?
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:11:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 11:03:39 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 6/14/2012 10:53:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Eliminating a minimum wage would be disastrous. Before the minimum wage, people were underpaid for their labor, and if they complained, they were immediately booted and someone else would replace them. Not only that, but before the minimum wage was implemented, employers in factories and other entry level institutions would actually pay less than they promised.

If you think that people won't work for minute amounts of money, I don't think you have ever faced desperation. Plus, the market exponentially drops wages for the lowest positions as the population size increases because there will be more workers.

I encourage anybody who disagrees with me to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath. It is a solid book.

I'm only against the Minimum Wage in the context of an Anarchist Communist society, in which everyone's needs are provided for.

Actually, the larger percentage of the population that is employed, the more wages will naturally increase, as employers have to compete for workers.

The problem with your market utopian arguments is that I have history on my side to disprove you. If you are correct, please explain why wages did not naturally increase, and in fact decreased, without a minimum wage.

The reason that you are wrong is that a larger work force means that wages necessarily must decrease because there are more people competing for jobs and thus employers can reduce the rates at which they pay entry level workers since there is always someone else who can take the job if the individual refuses to accept it. This is why union members were staunchly opposed to permitting women and children to work; they wanted to keep the workforce small so that their services would be in a greater demand and they could be paid more.
If we put the 24% of teens who are out of work to work for less than minimum wage, then those employers would end up having to compete for the unskilled workers.

That makes no sense at all. See the explanation above.
It's exactly why only 1-2% of jobs are minimum wage jobs. The market dictates wages naturally.
Yeah, by decreasing them according to historical analysis. The reason that skilled jobs are paid more is that there are fewer people who can carry them out.
The lower unemployment gets(real unemployment, not just people who aren't collecting checks), the more employers have to compete, and wages go up. If supply shrinks, prices go up. It's pretty simple.

Um, you are concocting nonsense. If more people are employed, the businesses need fewer workers because they are already hiring people.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:13:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/14/2012 11:06:40 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 6/14/2012 10:54:33 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/14/2012 10:44:20 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Look at this:

http://www.bls.gov...

Unemployment for people age 16-19 is 24.6%.

Unemployment for people age 20+ is 7.6%.

Generally speaking, unskilled/inexperienced workers can't find work. I wonder how much more work would be possible for teenagers if they were allowed to work for, let's say, $1/hr less than they are now?

Is $6.50/hr better or worse than $0/hr?

Employment is worthless if people are not being paid enough to survive.

Yeah, being able to put 24% of teens to work for some money is worthless, and actually worse than having those 24% of teens make no money at all.

Yeah, I think that working for almost nothing is just dumb. Why be a slave and starve to death when I would starve to death and at least enjoy life?
Do you think minimum wage dictates the majority of wages?

No, but it does it for entry level positions.
Wouldn't it be nice for teens to be able to work for $5/hr, earn and save money, gain experience, and build skills?
No, it wouldn't. First, companies are not going to hire people unless they need them even if you cut the amounts they have to pay. If one person can do the work, they'll hire one person regardless of whether or not the pay rate has increased or decreased.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:15:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is just going to hurt people who really need the money more. I like how you're focusing on teens who live with their parents. What about people who don't have any financial support and need to obtain funds? Why should they starve even more than they are already starving just because a bunch of teens need job experience?
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2012 11:17:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Unions can only exist with external aid. If the government does not help unions, then it necessarily has to bust them according to property rights laws.

Unions arose despite government union busting, not because of government aid. The fact that unions were able to exist and negotiate (albiet unsuccessfully, because of the government,) refutes your statement. My point still stands; so long as the government picks and chooses sides there will always be an imbalance between business and labor, but if the government does not get involved then there will be a proper balance of negotiating power and leverage between the two.