Total Posts:79|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Those in favor of "age of consent."

Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 10:04:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I wonder what you think of this case and why?

http://ukhumanrightsblog.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 10:49:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My hypothesis for abolishing the age of consent is that sex with teenagers would go up but sex with infants would go down.

Trying to stop things we don't like with the law is a cool idea and such. But it often, if not, perhaps even always, causes more problems than it fixes, much of the time the very problem it was seeking to resolve.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:18:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

Yes, do explain.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:21:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I actually didn't read the article. But looking over it, the mentally challenged person does have a right to consensual sex, but probably needs to be shown he/she realizes the health risks or be shown that there would be little to no risk of health problems (condom worn and/or sex partner has no STDs).
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:23:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Who are we to keep someone from doing the dirty monkey just because they're retarded?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:28:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:23:11 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Who are we to keep someone from doing the dirty monkey just because they're retarded?

by human standards, almost all animals are retarded (maybe some really rare form of dolphin or chimpanzee isn't retarded). So i'm pretty sure the animal kingdom doesn't require intelligence as a prerequisite for sex.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:35:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

You're using the word "person" very loosely. The man has a mental age of like 7, and the OP does have a point that if we're going to use an age of consent we might as well be consistent about it. He has the mental age of a 7-8 year old, why ought we treat him like an adult in that sense when in his daily life he needs constant supervision like a child?
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:37:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That's strange.

As far as an age of consent it concerned, that's not the way the law works. It doesn't ban children from having sex, but instead, bans adults from having sex with children, because they are not old enough to consent to sex with an adult. Technically, sex between children is not illegal, but it's worrisome behavior, because the younger they are, the more likely it's a learned behavior.

I think it's pretty nauseating that you're really trying to put together a serious case promoting child sexual abuse. What a socially irrational and irresponsible vantage.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:48:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:35:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

You're using the word "person" very loosely. The man has a mental age of like 7, and the OP does have a point that if we're going to use an age of consent we might as well be consistent about it. He has the mental age of a 7-8 year old, why ought we treat him like an adult in that sense when in his daily life he needs constant supervision like a child?

A retard doesn't exlude personhood. The person probably would enjoy sex, so why shouldn't he/she have it? Most children do not like sex.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:55:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

OMG is retarded? It crossed my mind a few times that OMG might be retarded, but I figured OMG had at-least an average IQ; most people with an average intelligence come off as retarded, from my perspective.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:57:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:48:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:35:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

You're using the word "person" very loosely. The man has a mental age of like 7, and the OP does have a point that if we're going to use an age of consent we might as well be consistent about it. He has the mental age of a 7-8 year old, why ought we treat him like an adult in that sense when in his daily life he needs constant supervision like a child?

A retard doesn't exlude personhood. The person probably would enjoy sex, so why shouldn't he/she have it? Most children do not like sex.

I'm sure some children like sex, actually those who are sexually abused sometimes become very sexually forward. Our laws in this regard aren't based on whether the act is enjoyable, as a society we understand that sex is at least a somewhat serious and special activity and that it shouldn't be allowed to be conducted between just any two people. It's hard explaining this to a moral nihilist because I don't know what to appeal to.

Our dignity as human beings is substantially grounded in our rational faculties. Yes, we are not always rational but we at least have the potential to be. Even the staunchest naturalists admit that there's something very special about the rational capacities of human beings - without these capacities we'd be no further developed than other animals. Our rational faculties are so central to us as human beings that it's difficult to dismiss the importance of it. A central part of growing up is enhancing our intellectual abilities, and if an individual is deprived of that ability I'd say he's certainly homo sapian but unfortunately not truly human.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 11:58:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:48:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:35:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

You're using the word "person" very loosely. The man has a mental age of like 7, and the OP does have a point that if we're going to use an age of consent we might as well be consistent about it. He has the mental age of a 7-8 year old, why ought we treat him like an adult in that sense when in his daily life he needs constant supervision like a child?

A retard doesn't exlude personhood. The person probably would enjoy sex, so why shouldn't he/she have it? Most children do not like sex.

at least until puberty, but in some cultures children are eligible for marriage as soon as they hit puberty. Also once children hit puberty, they could end up having sex with other kids their age; which puts both kids at risk of being charged with rape.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:00:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:55:14 PM, DanT wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

OMG is retarded? It crossed my mind a few times that OMG might be retarded, but I figured OMG had at-least an average IQ; most people with an average intelligence come off as retarded, from my perspective.

Lmfao, the sort of people making intelligence comments... and who they're directing them toward... oh man, hilarious.

People's insecurities are really coming out these days.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:01:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:55:14 PM, DanT wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

OMG is retarded? It crossed my mind a few times that OMG might be retarded, but I figured OMG had at-least an average IQ; most people with an average intelligence come off as retarded, from my perspective.

I am truly blessed to be in contact with you. You bestow your graces and superior intellect on this forum and ingrates such as I and other DDO members frequently respond with disdain. You are a saint and I commend your efforts to enlighten us normal folk with your godly intellect and piercing insight into political philosophy. We are truly unworthy.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:02:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd say he's certainly homo sapian but unfortunately not truly human.
And you hold that all nonhumans should be banned from sex.

?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:03:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/17/2012 12:02:00 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I'd say he's certainly homo sapian but unfortunately not truly human.
And you hold that all nonhumans should be banned from sex.

?

What is this banned from sex jazz?

Lol, that's funny.

After thinking about it for a while, I think the point was that the guy has the mental capacity of a child, so allowing him to be sexual would be like gently condoning his sexual advances to children.

It's not to set precedent for how old someone can be to have sex. Because, one again, it's not illegal for children to have sex.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:05:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/17/2012 12:02:00 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I'd say he's certainly homo sapian but unfortunately not truly human.
And you hold that all nonhumans should be banned from sex.

?

Am I in favor of banning animal sex? Oh, totally. Put chastity belts on all non-humans. By supporting an age of consent that's totally what I'm saying because it's where the logic leads.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:15:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/17/2012 12:01:27 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:55:14 PM, DanT wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

OMG is retarded? It crossed my mind a few times that OMG might be retarded, but I figured OMG had at-least an average IQ; most people with an average intelligence come off as retarded, from my perspective.

I am truly blessed to be in contact with you. You bestow your graces and superior intellect on this forum and ingrates such as I and other DDO members frequently respond with disdain. You are a saint and I commend your efforts to enlighten us normal folk with your godly intellect and piercing insight into political philosophy. We are truly unworthy.

darkkermit was the one calling you retarded, I said I thought you had at least average intelligence. Why are you jumping on my case?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:25:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:57:51 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:48:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:35:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

You're using the word "person" very loosely. The man has a mental age of like 7, and the OP does have a point that if we're going to use an age of consent we might as well be consistent about it. He has the mental age of a 7-8 year old, why ought we treat him like an adult in that sense when in his daily life he needs constant supervision like a child?

A retard doesn't exlude personhood. The person probably would enjoy sex, so why shouldn't he/she have it? Most children do not like sex.

I'm sure some children like sex, actually those who are sexually abused sometimes become very sexually forward. Our laws in this regard aren't based on whether the act is enjoyable, as a society we understand that sex is at least a somewhat serious and special activity and that it shouldn't be allowed to be conducted between just any two people.

At the age below 12, most children are asexual. If a very young child does actually consent to sex, then there's probably something strange going on in the deal.

I don't see why sex should be held up to some freakin' pedestal where only have it if you understand its inner beauty or some crap like that. Sex is a very primitive desire in which freakin' animals engage in.

It's hard explaining this to a moral nihilist because I don't know what to appeal to.

The process of reasoning is more of interest to me rather than the actual solution to the answer.


Our dignity as human beings is substantially grounded in our rational faculties. Yes, we are not always rational but we at least have the potential to be. Even the staunchest naturalists admit that there's something very special about the rational capacities of human beings - without these capacities we'd be no further developed than other animals.

Our rational faculties are so central to us as human beings that it's difficult to dismiss the importance of it. A central part of growing up is enhancing our intellectual abilities, and if an individual is deprived of that ability I'd say he's certainly homo sapian but unfortunately not truly human.

Again, I also think we hold humaninty and rationality on a pedestal as well. I don't think people realize just how animalistic humans really are. Especially those below intelligence. Both you and I are probably above average human intelligence, and are also value intelligence and rationality more then most others do.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:29:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/17/2012 12:15:28 AM, DanT wrote:
At 6/17/2012 12:01:27 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:55:14 PM, DanT wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

OMG is retarded? It crossed my mind a few times that OMG might be retarded, but I figured OMG had at-least an average IQ; most people with an average intelligence come off as retarded, from my perspective.

I am truly blessed to be in contact with you. You bestow your graces and superior intellect on this forum and ingrates such as I and other DDO members frequently respond with disdain. You are a saint and I commend your efforts to enlighten us normal folk with your godly intellect and piercing insight into political philosophy. We are truly unworthy.

darkkermit was the one calling you retarded, I said I thought you had at least average intelligence. Why are you jumping on my case?

No I didn't. You misinterpreted what I said. When I said "especially coming from you", I was just surprised (s)he took the position since (s)he sees sex as very valuable and important that all humans should experience. (S)he was the one that stated in an earlier discussion that it would be inhumane to deprave those from welfare from engaging in sexual activity.

I did no way imply that omg was retarded, and believe (s)he is intelligent.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:45:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/17/2012 12:29:24 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/17/2012 12:15:28 AM, DanT wrote:
At 6/17/2012 12:01:27 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:55:14 PM, DanT wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

OMG is retarded? It crossed my mind a few times that OMG might be retarded, but I figured OMG had at-least an average IQ; most people with an average intelligence come off as retarded, from my perspective.

I am truly blessed to be in contact with you. You bestow your graces and superior intellect on this forum and ingrates such as I and other DDO members frequently respond with disdain. You are a saint and I commend your efforts to enlighten us normal folk with your godly intellect and piercing insight into political philosophy. We are truly unworthy.

darkkermit was the one calling you retarded, I said I thought you had at least average intelligence. Why are you jumping on my case?

No I didn't. You misinterpreted what I said. When I said "especially coming from you",
No you said, "coming from someone like yourself."
I was just surprised (s)he took the position since (s)he sees sex as very valuable and important that all humans should experience. (S)he was the one that stated in an earlier discussion that it would be inhumane to deprave those from welfare from engaging in sexual activity.

I did no way imply that omg was retarded, and believe (s)he is intelligent.

I did not see that discussion. For those of us who did not see the discussion you spoke of, it sounded like you were implying (s)he was retarded.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 12:57:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/17/2012 12:45:46 AM, DanT wrote:
At 6/17/2012 12:29:24 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/17/2012 12:15:28 AM, DanT wrote:
At 6/17/2012 12:01:27 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:55:14 PM, DanT wrote:
At 6/16/2012 11:15:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/16/2012 10:54:28 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
An IQ of 48 is abysmal, I actually support the decision.

You really think that a person should not be able to enjoy one of life's pleasures just because he/she is retarded? This is kind of interesting coming from someone like yourself.

OMG is retarded? It crossed my mind a few times that OMG might be retarded, but I figured OMG had at-least an average IQ; most people with an average intelligence come off as retarded, from my perspective.

I am truly blessed to be in contact with you. You bestow your graces and superior intellect on this forum and ingrates such as I and other DDO members frequently respond with disdain. You are a saint and I commend your efforts to enlighten us normal folk with your godly intellect and piercing insight into political philosophy. We are truly unworthy.

darkkermit was the one calling you retarded, I said I thought you had at least average intelligence. Why are you jumping on my case?

No I didn't. You misinterpreted what I said. When I said "especially coming from you",
No you said, "coming from someone like yourself."

Close enough.

I was just surprised (s)he took the position since (s)he sees sex as very valuable and important that all humans should experience. (S)he was the one that stated in an earlier discussion that it would be inhumane to deprave those from welfare from engaging in sexual activity.

I did no way imply that omg was retarded, and believe (s)he is intelligent.

I did not see that discussion. For those of us who did not see the discussion you spoke of, it sounded like you were implying (s)he was retarded.

I've had past interactions with OMG. He knows what our discussions are and would realize what the conext was. The comment was not directed at you. Furthermore, there was no reason to see how I was calling OMG a retard?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 1:04:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At the age below 12, most children are asexual. If a very young child does actually consent to sex, then there's probably something strange going on in the deal.

True, I'm just saying our laws in this area aren't justified on enjoyment as there are 7-12 year olds who enjoy sex.

I don't see why sex should be held up to some freakin' pedestal where only have it if you understand its inner beauty or some crap like that. Sex is a very primitive desire in which freakin' animals engage in.

Tell that to children who have been taken advantage of sexually even if it was "consensual." I'm not stating an ought here, I'm saying that our first sexual experiences are almost always important to us and tend to stick with us. Do you support an age of consent?

Again, I also think we hold humaninty and rationality on a pedestal as well. I don't think people realize just how animalistic humans really are. Especially those below intelligence. Both you and I are probably above average human intelligence, and are also value intelligence and rationality more then most others do.

I'm aware of our animality, but we're definitely the freaks of the animal kingdom. Tell me what other animals can build cities remotely comparable to ours, write philosophy, or discover general relativity. You can say that rationality is a difference of degree and not kind between us and other animals, but no one can deny the enormous intellectual capacity of humans compared to other animals. This conversation is evident of that. Consensual sex between children or sex between other animals is amoral, it's only when you reach a certain level of rationality that one is given the ability to really reflect on the moral content of actions.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 1:33:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/17/2012 1:04:14 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At the age below 12, most children are asexual. If a very young child does actually consent to sex, then there's probably something strange going on in the deal.

True, I'm just saying our laws in this area aren't justified on enjoyment as there are 7-12 year olds who enjoy sex.

Well, for the most part laws are based on practicality. There's a difference between the intent of the law vs. the actual law.

I don't see why sex should be held up to some freakin' pedestal where only have it if you understand its inner beauty or some crap like that. Sex is a very primitive desire in which freakin' animals engage in.

Tell that to children who have been taken advantage of sexually even if it was "consensual." I'm not stating an ought here, I'm saying that our first sexual experiences are almost always important to us and tend to stick with us. Do you support an age of consent?

I really don't think too much of an "age of consent" law. I'd say there are inherent power problems with young children though. The most obvious being that they have no means of employment, and are basically slaves to their parents.

Again, I also think we hold humaninty and rationality on a pedestal as well. I don't think people realize just how animalistic humans really are. Especially those below intelligence. Both you and I are probably above average human intelligence, and are also value intelligence and rationality more then most others do.

I'm aware of our animality, but we're definitely the freaks of the animal kingdom. Tell me what other animals can build cities remotely comparable to ours, write philosophy, or discover general relativity. You can say that rationality is a difference of degree and not kind between us and other animals, but no one can deny the enormous intellectual capacity of humans compared to other animals. This conversation is evident of that. Consensual sex between children or sex between other animals is amoral, it's only when you reach a certain level of rationality that one is given the ability to really reflect on the moral content of actions.

Note that we are mainly the exception to the rule, not the rule itself. The percentage of the population of the world that actually engages in a forum like this is negligibly small.

Furthermore, many of these advances that are made in society are done through specific individuals, that an average individual could not do. An average individual could not come up with the general theory of relativity. Very few percentage of people have the ability to become an architect, engineer, or town planner to do so. And a smaller percentage of them are able to come up with new theories to advance their field. Even then, these people required many thousands of hours of training to accomplish these feats.

i'd also say that intellect is not a necessary condition for "moral" actions. I'd say that intellect is necessary to justify moral actions. We have all these complex theories and philosophic literature on morality. But I'd say all these complex theories and philosophic literature is mainly just a lot of rationalization.

Chimpanzees are capable of feeling empathy.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 3:00:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/16/2012 11:37:01 PM, Ren wrote:
That's strange.

As far as an age of consent it concerned, that's not the way the law works. It doesn't ban children from having sex, but instead, bans adults from having sex with children, because they are not old enough to consent to sex with an adult. Technically, sex between children is not illegal, but it's worrisome behavior, because the younger they are, the more likely it's a learned behavior.

I think it's pretty nauseating that you're really trying to put together a serious case promoting child sexual abuse. What a socially irrational and irresponsible vantage.

Well. You know. That's like. Actually false.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 4:19:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/17/2012 12:03:53 AM, Ren wrote:
At 6/17/2012 12:02:00 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I'd say he's certainly homo sapian but unfortunately not truly human.
And you hold that all nonhumans should be banned from sex.

?

What is this banned from sex jazz?

Lol, that's funny.

After thinking about it for a while, I think the point was that the guy has the mental capacity of a child, so allowing him to be sexual would be like gently condoning his sexual advances to children.
If you don't like his sexual advances to children, banning him from having sex with adults doesn't affect that, it's not even remotely a solution. Confinement, castration, or execution are your main options in preventing him from making sexual advances to children. Imagine for the sake of discussion that he hadn't flashed those kids or whatever, and change nothing else about the case (the iq, the judge's actions, etc).

Am I in favor of banning animal sex? Oh, totally. Put chastity belts on all non-humans. By supporting an age of consent that's totally what I'm saying because it's where the logic leads.
I see your sarcasm but I don't see an answer to the problem.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2012 4:20:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Btw, whether it's legal for kids to have sex with each other depends on the state. California, for example, bans all sex with minors, whether you're a minor or not.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.