Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

30 Day Libertarian Challenge

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 7:49:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"The 30 Day Reading List that will Lead You to Becoming a Knowledgeable Libertarian"

I'll be starting this 30 day reading list today, and it would be cool if some libertarians on this site and people with other political ideologies/preferences read along. We can chat about the day's read here. Monday, June 18th will be day 1.

Link: [http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com...]
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 8:06:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Read most of it already. This stuff comes up a lot.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 8:33:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
After you're done, do you get a teeshirt that says "I took the 30 Day Libertarian Challenge and survived!!"?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 8:54:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/18/2012 8:33:02 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
After you're done, do you get a teeshirt that says "I took the 30 Day Libertarian Challenge and survived!!"?

No, you get one saying "I took the 30 Day Libertarian Challenge and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 8:58:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Day 9 Hitler Was a Keynesian by Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. "

The best way to discredit anything is to say hitler was it. Therefore its wrong. Reductio ad Hitlerum
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 9:06:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/18/2012 8:58:54 PM, darkkermit wrote:
"Day 9 Hitler Was a Keynesian by Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. "

The best way to discredit anything is to say hitler was it. Therefore its wrong. Reductio ad Hitlerum

Rockwell is a boring ideologue.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 9:20:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/18/2012 9:06:19 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Rockwell is a boring ideologue.

His goal is not to be exciting or inclusive, it's to progress the liberty movement and expand society's knowledge of the Austrian School. Your judgment flies in the face of years of hard work by Rockwell to consistently accomplish those goals, and does nothing to denigrate him as you are in the extreme minority of immaterial and unsubstantiated attacks against him.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 9:23:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/18/2012 9:20:10 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 6/18/2012 9:06:19 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Rockwell is a boring ideologue.

His goal is not to be exciting or inclusive, it's to progress the liberty movement and expand society's knowledge of the Austrian School. Your judgment flies in the face of years of hard work by Rockwell to consistently accomplish those goals, and does nothing to denigrate him as you are in the extreme minority of immaterial and unsubstantiated attacks against him.

Lol you have to admit he's a fuckin ideologue brah. Zero divergence from Rothbardian thought post-1983? Check.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2012 9:45:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 6/18/2012 7:49:43 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
"The 30 Day Reading List that will Lead You to Becoming a Knowledgeable Libertarian"

I'll be starting this 30 day reading list today, and it would be cool if some libertarians on this site and people with other political ideologies/preferences read along. We can chat about the day's read here. Monday, June 18th will be day 1.

Link: [http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com...]

I'm sorry but that is a risk I cannot afford to take.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2012 11:35:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Reading it all. starting on first and second (reading the second one first due to some idiocy).

Currently at the 8 marks. So far, I'm unimpressed by the general hiding of argument behind a veil of repetition of the word "fascism". It just seems to be shaky abductive reasoning at this point.

Point one is using an "America is all that matters" approach, which I think is firstly most likely wrong, but secondly has no application to Britain. This is just my thoughts, and I'm not bothering to write the argument or why (though feel free to message me with a specific question, or post here but I probably won't read it if posted in this location for a while).

Point Two is just a massive misunderstanding about masses of politics. Don't care at all.

Point Three seems to just say "bureaucracy is bad" and leaves it at that, then claims "hey, you know that you don't see some jobs? That's society's fault". It seems just...I'd have to simply say "wtf" to describe the point.

Point Four: Now this I can get behind some more. I think the example of America is still shaky (I've lost all confidence in the writer on these 8 points now) but injecting my knowledge of the British 70s, I've started to like it more, and agree somewhat more with it. I still don't see it as wholesale destruction of syndicalism, but still, it's something I can get somewhat behind.

Point Five is one that I'd make a noise of a creaking door at. I agree with bits, and vehemently disagree with others... I don't want to go full out rejection, but, in the words of the song, "There's a hole in your logic".

Point Six made me realise what this is: hysteric McCarthyism except against non-libertarians rather than non-Capitalists: it's gotten more specific! It's actually pushing for far right libertarian ancap rather than just capitalist-led. Oh, the actual point? Again, like point five. I agree with some premises, but the conclusion seems to not follow. Nor does this McCarthyist cry of "Fascist!" sit with me anymore.

Point Seven, I agree when I ignore the literary licence. It's about the military spending being too damn high (meme intended) and the police being too damn high -- I mean too intrusive. There's value in this statement.

Point Eight is basically where point seven starts, but it ends with super-hyperbole. Not interested in the slightest, nor convinced. Oh, and either a covert bash at Obama or a covert 'shielding', I'm not entirely sure... maybe it depends on your leaning.

The conclusion is basically a promotion of Anarcho-Capitalism, and dichotomising (explicitly) the two options in a totally and utterly neutral manner of "total State or total freedom", and replacing State with fascism repeatedly. The terms used interchangeably makes me less and less liking Libertarianism of Paul, and more among those of Chomsky, simply due to the less pissant behaviour.

To be honest, I did not expect much different from the eloquent writers of works such as "Hitler was a keynesian", but I am upset that almost a 5th of the works are by him. One down, twentynine to go.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...