Jump to topic:

Question for all libertarians.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 8:24:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Do libertarians and anarchists believe that it should be legal to have orgies in full public view? I could be confused here, but wouldn't people's "civil rights" trump social taboos under that system?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 8:27:47 AM
Depends on who the property belongs to. If someone owns a piece of property that is publicly viewable by the public than yeah. However, orgies wouldn't be legal on OTHER people's property if they were against it.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 8:33:35 AM
At 6/25/2012 8:27:47 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Depends on who the property belongs to. If someone owns a piece of property that is publicly viewable by the public than yeah. However, orgies wouldn't be legal on OTHER people's property if they were against it.

You do realize how much that creeps me out, right? Would easement laws help if decent people came into unavoidable contact with these supposed orgies?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 8:37:47 AM
At 6/25/2012 8:33:35 AM, MouthWash wrote:

You do realize how much that creeps me out, right? Would easement laws help if decent people came into unavoidable contact with these supposed orgies?

Who cares if it creeps you out? I don't remember political philosophy revolving around emotions.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 8:38:26 AM

You do realize how much that creeps me out, right?
Why does that matter? Just because it "creeps you out" doesn't mean that you have a right to restrict it.
Would easement laws help if decent people came into unavoidable contact with these supposed orgies?

Why are people who participate in orgies not "decent"?

Everyone has a right to use public property.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 8:41:30 AM
At 6/25/2012 8:24:45 AM, MouthWash wrote:
Do libertarians and anarchists believe that it should be legal to have orgies in full public view? I could be confused here, but wouldn't people's "civil rights" trump social taboos under that system?

Yes, it would be. But that doesn't mean it would happen.

A person could have an orgy on their lawn in the middle of the day. But right now, it isn't the law that stops people from doing that, it is social embarrassment, which would still be present.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 8:54:56 AM
At 6/25/2012 8:37:47 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Who cares if it creeps you out? I don't remember political philosophy revolving around emotions.

You'll notice that I actually had a question in the second half of that post.

And yes, it is illegal to have orgies in the public view. If anyone disagrees with me, I invite them to try it and see how long it takes for the police to show up.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:06:06 AM
At 6/25/2012 8:54:56 AM, MouthWash wrote:

And yes, it is illegal to have orgies in the public view. If anyone disagrees with me, I invite them to try it and see how long it takes for the police to show up.

You asked us whether or not we think it should be illegal. Just because it is currently illegal doesn't mean it should be.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:25:26 AM
At 6/25/2012 9:06:06 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

You asked us whether or not we think it should be illegal. Just because it is currently illegal doesn't mean it should be.

The vast majority of people do think so.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:26:52 AM
At 6/25/2012 9:25:26 AM, MouthWash wrote:

Argument ad populum brah.
:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:28:46 AM

Ad populum logical fallacy.

Plus, personal opinion cannot deprive people of rights. A vast majority of ancients once thought that rape was acceptable if the woman was from another culture. That doesn't mean it was just.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:30:33 AM
At 6/25/2012 9:26:52 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Strawman. We're not arguing about whether it should be moral to do so. I simply wanted an answer to my question. What I meant was, when making assertions, I generally don't think of what the tiny majority of people believe.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:31:31 AM
I didn't mean that as an insult, that's just the way it is.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:32:38 AM
At 6/25/2012 9:30:33 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/25/2012 9:26:52 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Strawman. We're not arguing about whether it should be moral to do so. I simply wanted an answer to my question. What I meant was, when making assertions, I generally don't think of what the tiny majority of people believe.

Who believes what is irrelevant.
:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:33:44 AM
The only reason that a "tiny minority" believes it is that people generally do not care about rights violations as long as the rights they want to exercise are not being harmed/their rights are not being taken away.
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:33:46 AM
I believe that in a libertarian society (and obviously in an anarchistic society, nothing would be illegal then :P), it would be legal to hold an orgy on a public lawn. Do I personally want it to happen? No. Do I think that my personal opinion should interfere with the personal liberties of others? No.

Interesting topic, BTW. Never considered it before.
My legend begins in the 12th century
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:34:05 AM
Can someone answer the question though?
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:36:12 AM
At 6/25/2012 9:33:46 AM, TheOrator wrote:
I believe that in a libertarian society (and obviously in an anarchistic society, nothing would be illegal then :P), it would be legal to hold an orgy on a public lawn. Do I personally want it to happen? No. Do I think that my personal opinion should interfere with the personal liberties of others? No.

Private lawn* As in private property.

Also mouthwash, I understand that you didn't see mine, but I know you got at least one answer so far, you just didn't accept it :P
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:38:27 AM
At 6/25/2012 9:36:12 AM, TheOrator wrote:

Also mouthwash, I understand that you didn't see mine, but I know you got at least one answer so far, you just didn't accept it :P

I meant my later question about easement laws.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:44:30 AM
What do easement laws have to do with this discussion? I don't think anybody could claim that they should be able to use another individual's property for sexual purposes (although I advocate the abolition of private property, so perhaps all land within the community could be used for any purpose).
TheOrator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 9:45:11 AM
At 6/25/2012 9:38:27 AM, MouthWash wrote:

Oh, my bad. Do you have an opinion on the actual post I made?

I'm don't believe easement laws would apply, assuming that easement laws are what I think they are, which is allowing one party to use another party's property without possessing it. I believe the answer would be that if it the orgy were held on your own lawn, then you're more than able to hold it. If you decide to hold your orgy on your neighbor's lawn without his consent, then that's a no-no. That's not upholding your own liberties, that's compromising the property rights of your neighbor.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 10:20:23 AM
At 6/25/2012 9:45:11 AM, TheOrator wrote:

I'm don't believe easement laws would apply, assuming that easement laws are what I think they are, which is allowing one party to use another party's property without possessing it. I believe the answer would be that if it the orgy were held on your own lawn, then you're more than able to hold it. If you decide to hold your orgy on your neighbor's lawn without his consent, then that's a no-no. That's not upholding your own liberties, that's compromising the property rights of your neighbor.

I may not be understanding what easement laws are here. I believe that there should be some sort of reconciliation between civil rights and deeply ingrained social taboos (which might spark violence).
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 10:22:01 AM
At 6/25/2012 10:20:23 AM, MouthWash wrote:

I may not be understanding what easement laws are here. I believe that there should be some sort of reconciliation between civil rights and deeply ingrained social taboos (which might spark violence).

If people get violent over other people not conforming to their own values then they ought to be prosecuted for it. Nothing more necessary.
:
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 10:28:05 AM

I'm don't believe easement laws would apply, assuming that easement laws are what I think they are, which is allowing one party to use another party's property without possessing it. I believe the answer would be that if it the orgy were held on your own lawn, then you're more than able to hold it. If you decide to hold your orgy on your neighbor's lawn without his consent, then that's a no-no. That's not upholding your own libertic, that's compromising the property rights of your neighbor.

Social taboos cannot restrict people's rights.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 10:35:21 AM
At 6/25/2012 10:28:05 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I'm don't believe easement laws would apply, assuming that easement laws are what I think they are, which is allowing one party to use another party's property without possessing it. I believe the answer would be that if it the orgy were held on your own lawn, then you're more than able to hold it. If you decide to hold your orgy on your neighbor's lawn without his consent, then that's a no-no. That's not upholding your own libertic, that's compromising the property rights of your neighbor.

Deeply ingrained ones will. You can't simply defy them by making "laws" against them. Apartheid is the same way; it can't simply be outlawed, it need to be erased from the minds of the people. And that's not likely to happen here.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 10:43:20 AM
At 6/25/2012 10:35:21 AM, MouthWash wrote:

Deeply ingrained ones will.
Are you discussing this on a philosophical plane or on the plane of reality? In reality,yes, social taboos unjustly restrict rights. However, on a philosophical plane, social taboos are utterly meaningless and have no authority (unless you are an advocate of Communitarianism, which is easily refuted).
You can't simply defy them by making "laws" against them.
The Civil Rights Act went a long way towards desegregation in the workplace :)
Apartheid is the same way; it can't simply be outlawed, it need to be erased from the minds of the people.
Social pressures and laws are a key mechanism for enforcing this.
And that's not likely to happen here.
Bare assertion fallacy.

A lot of people argued the same thing for other social barriers that were crossed/are being crossed (interracial unions, same sex marriage, women's rights, civil rights for African Americans, etc.)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 10:51:48 AM
At 6/25/2012 10:43:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Are you discussing this on a philosophical plane or on the plane of reality? In reality,yes, social taboos unjustly restrict rights. However, on a philosophical plane, social taboos are utterly meaningless and have no authority (unless you are an advocate of Communitarianism, which is easily refuted).

Plane of reality. I don't want to get into the philosophy on this thread.

Some of them work. For instance, it was much easier to think of blacks being less than human if white were separated from them; once segregation was outlawed, it was hard to keep up the delusion.

Apartheid is the same way; it can't simply be outlawed, it need to be erased from the minds of the people.

There's your answer.

Bare assertion fallacy.

The same underlying human psychology formed all cultures small and large IMO. This is why there are so many similarities between the taboos they have. Both the major and minor religions share very similar taboos regardless of the fact they have had very little contact in the past.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:07:09 AM
At 6/25/2012 10:51:48 AM, MouthWash wrote:
At 6/25/2012 10:43:20 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Plane of reality. I don't want to get into the philosophy on this thread.

Some of them work. For instance, it was much easier to think of blacks being less than human if white were separated from them; once segregation was outlawed, it was hard to keep up the delusion.

There's your answer.

Bare assertion fallacy.

The same underlying human psychology formed all cultures small and large IMO. This is why there are so many similarities between the taboos they have. Both the major and minor religions share very similar taboos regardless of the fact they have had very little contact in the past.

You do realize that there was probably some sort of H. Sapiens culture that existed before H. Sapiens dispersed from Africa? Plus, evidence indicates that our ancestors and close relatives also had culture (Neanderthals had a religion, for example). Those "taboos" could have roots in those cultures, especially since many of the "taboos" were so often violated (such as the provisions against adultery and interracial marriage). Plus, if taboos have roots in human psychology, why is it that so many people want to eliminate them? Why am I psychologically not barred from railing against them?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2012 11:08:27 AM
Plus, if taboos have roots in psychology, why is it that I am usually attracted to Caucasians even though I am Indian (or my ancestors are Indian)? Interracial marriage is very much taboo in India.