Jump to topic:

Be thankful you have your freedom

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 4:07:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
To be thankful for something implies that it is a favor...something that you are not entitled to but received anyway. You can be thankful for your home, your health etc., because those are not entitlements. What is the meaning of "thankful for freedom"?

We are not thankful for liberty, we are only satisfied with liberty...and when we cease to be satisfied, we will demand it back.

It angers me how we're not even the freest country on the planet, yet we treat our Constitutional rights like gifts! There are countries with far less regulatory governments that don't even mention their so-called "liberty" at every opportunity. I believe that this wording, this trite phrase we use for boast and bluster ingrains a certain subordinate mentality,...and that mentality is what allows the government to get away with things such as wartime suppression of speech and the Patriot Act.

Thoughts?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 4:18:51 PM
At 6/26/2012 4:07:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
To be thankful for something implies that it is a favor...something that you are not entitled to but received anyway. You can be thankful for your home, your health etc., because those are not entitlements. What is the meaning of "thankful for freedom"?

1st off Rights = Entitlements; Freedom=/= Entitlements.
Freedom is a Natural Right, however not every state recognizes that right. Simply because one refuses to recognize something does not mean it does not exist. I could be entitled to a cake I baked and paid for, but my family could eat the cake before I get a slice. I did not lose my entitlement, my entitlement was just not recognized by my family.

We are not thankful for liberty, we are only satisfied with liberty...and when we cease to be satisfied, we will demand it back.

It angers me how we're not even the freest country on the planet, yet we treat our Constitutional rights like gifts! There are countries with far less regulatory governments that don't even mention their so-called "liberty" at every opportunity. I believe that this wording, this trite phrase we use for boast and bluster ingrains a certain subordinate mentality,...and that mentality is what allows the government to get away with things such as wartime suppression of speech and the Patriot Act.

Thoughts?

See above
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 4:31:39 PM
This is part of the mythology of statism. States tell us to be thankful that they're not violating our rights more than they currently are. It's utter nonsense.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 4:39:59 PM
At 6/26/2012 4:31:39 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
This is part of the mythology of statism. States tell us to be thankful that they're not violating our rights more than they currently are. It's utter nonsense.

Statism =/= Nationaism
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 4:41:38 PM
I am a million times more fearful of losing what little freedoms I have left by the hands of my own govt than I am thankful for having what little freedoms I have left that my arrogant corrupt govt thinks it should "allow" me to have.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Websterremembered
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 4:44:41 PM

Thoughts?

so many...this is a goldmine of debate, thought and talk. Talk about human nature, rather to believe the present is normal than to examine why this present exists in the first place and how this is maintained.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 5:15:18 PM
At 6/26/2012 4:18:51 PM, DanT wrote:

Freedom is a Natural Right, however not every state recognizes that right. Simply because one refuses to recognize something does not mean it does not exist. I could be entitled to a cake I baked and paid for, but my family could eat the cake before I get a slice. I did not lose my entitlement, my entitlement was just not recognized by my family.

What's your point?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 5:30:16 PM
At 6/26/2012 4:31:39 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Completely agreed.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:31:48 PM
RP pretty much said it perfectly.

However, I will say that I respect the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and the Bill of Rights a lot--not because I'm thankful, but I think that they're special documents that we should remember. They were--no pun intended--revolutionary.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:35:57 PM
At 6/26/2012 9:35:12 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I do think that the Declaration has philosophical significance, however.

Exactly. Especially for its context.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:41:36 PM
At 6/26/2012 9:34:51 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I support William Lloyd Garrison's treatment of the Constitution :)

Before or after Lysander Spooner got to him?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 9:55:09 PM
At 6/26/2012 9:41:36 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 6/26/2012 9:34:51 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I support William Lloyd Garrison's treatment of the Constitution :)

Before or after Lysander Spooner got to him?

Before.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 11:14:09 PM
Simple things that you must fear fines and or imprisonment for in this land of "freedom"

I can not go to my mothers house and repair her leaking faucet for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not decide what I will give my child to eat for lunch for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not choose what size cup I want to order for my drink for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not drive anywhere on federal land that I pay taxes for for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not fix my pool pump for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not fix a broken window in my house for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not replace worn out hinges on my front door for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not replace my water heater for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not fix a leak in my roof for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not replace an old toilet in my house for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not do any of the things aforementioned for my mother for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I could sit here for days listing all of my "Freedoms" for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2012 11:40:38 PM
At 6/26/2012 11:14:09 PM, sadolite wrote:
Simple things that you must fear fines and or imprisonment for in this land of "freedom"

I can not go to my mothers house and repair her leaking faucet for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not decide what I will give my child to eat for lunch for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not choose what size cup I want to order for my drink for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not drive anywhere on federal land that I pay taxes for for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not fix a broken window in my house for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not replace worn out hinges on my front door for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not replace my water heater for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not fix a leak in my roof for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not replace an old toilet in my house for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I can not do any of the things aforementioned for my mother for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

I could sit here for days listing all of my "Freedoms" for fear of fines and or imprisonment from the govt.

Can you make a rational case for any of those fears, or is it just more satisfying to blame the government for your own baseless paranoia?
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 12:06:22 AM

Move to Texas. None of those apply here.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 12:27:26 AM

Funny, I fixed a leaking faucet without any fear, nor any government agents busting into my home.

Apart from drugs or nothing, you can feed your child just about anything for lunch.

Really, when I go to McDonalds, they give me options, L, XL, and XXL.

Nor should you be able to.

Like the faucet, yes you can.

Guess to what I might say on this one.

This one is a maybe, but I'd bet you could.

I sure you could seat here and rant off your irrational fears, but then again, they don't matter.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 1:28:05 AM
At 6/26/2012 11:40:38 PM, Double_R wrote:

Can you make a rational case for any of those fears, or is it just more satisfying to blame the government for your own baseless paranoia?

Try to do any of the things I have mentioned without getting permission from the govt. They are not baseless and it is absolute fact. Even Hitler would not do such things. Even he would fear such people who would impose such tyrannical evil on it's people. What I fear the most are the people who are willing to enforce such insanity. They drive around all day long drunk with power looking for anything they can find to invade your privacy and collect fines for not asking the govt for permission to fix such things. They will look for toilets and counter tops put out to the trash and slap stop work orders on your property and you will have to wait for days on end for them to come and accuse you of hiding things from them and not asking permission to fix your own house. I can assure you sir, none of this is baseless and horrifyingly true to every letter. You live in some nether world if you are not aware of these facts. I do contract work I see it all the time all day long.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 1:31:50 AM
At 6/27/2012 12:27:26 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Funny, I fixed a leaking faucet without any fear, nor any government agents busting into my home.

Apart from drugs or nothing, you can feed your child just about anything for lunch.

I sure you could seat here and rant off your irrational fears, but then again, they don't matter.

If you did any of those things without first asking the govt for permission you broke the law and if caught doing them you would face severe fines and possible prison time.

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 2:59:52 AM
At 6/27/2012 1:31:50 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/27/2012 12:27:26 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

If you did any of those things without first asking the govt for permission you broke the law and if caught doing them you would face severe fines and possible prison time.

Move to New Hampshire; it's not illegal here. I'm thankful for my freedom to move to another free state when my current state passes laws I don't like. :p
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 3:04:03 AM
At 6/26/2012 5:15:18 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 6/26/2012 4:18:51 PM, DanT wrote:

What's your point?

It proves you can be thankful your natural entitlement to freedom is recognized by the state, as opposed to Cuba, China, Russia or Iran.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 3:59:04 AM
Although I believe that there are freedoms that are natural and not something that should be besowed upon us by a government, they cannot be considered a given.

Most people in the world do not enjoy the natural rights of man, and if you were to travel more, and live in some of these countries where government is not restrained you might have a greater appreciation for what we have and where we live.

Not to mention that gratitude is a primary factor of happiness; in this particular case it allows us to jealously guard what we have, because, again, it is not a given.

I do understand that our freedoms are being eroded at every angle, left, right, good intentions or bad, and having gratitude for what we have in no way implicates that we have them because government is allowing us to have them, but rather we have them despite government and it's our job to preserve what we have, and make gains on returning any that we have lost.

By not being grateful, you run the risk of taking them for granted, and losing them without even knowing it, which is what is happening now.

Some of you really need to travel more.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 6:58:28 AM
I am well aware what is happening in other societies, but just because their governments are misbehaving more than our government is doesn't mean that we should be grateful.

That's like asking me to be grateful that someone decided to rob me instead of murder me.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 7:04:42 AM
At 6/27/2012 6:58:28 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
I am well aware what is happening in other societies, but just because their governments are misbehaving more than our government is doesn't mean that we should be grateful.

That's like asking me to be grateful that someone decided to rob me instead of murder me.

Innomen, I'm sure you'll be looking at us like young naive idealists ;), but Royal is totally right. I think being thankful to an institution like the State for keeping it's greedy fingers off of SOME stuff is a rather bold move towards complacency. On top of that it seems weird to base one's view of the governments actions in a relativist sense. As if someone else being worse somehow changes the behavior of the State. The thought itself just seems rather ridiculous when stated outright.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 11:30:26 AM

No-one is asking you to be grateful that you were robbed, they are asking you to be grateful that you are alive. If that happen to me I would be grateful that I a alive, but I would also be pissed that I was robbed. One does not only have to focus on the negative, as the positive is just as important.
I don't have the freedom to take a dump in the frozen food section, but I do have the freedom to choose between a variety of frozen pizzas. I am grateful that I have the freedom of choice.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 11:31:33 AM
At 6/27/2012 7:04:42 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Innomen, I'm sure you'll be looking at us like young naive idealists ;), but Royal is totally right. I think being thankful to an institution like the State for keeping it's greedy fingers off of SOME stuff is a rather bold move towards complacency. On top of that it seems weird to base one's view of the governments actions in a relativist sense. As if someone else being worse somehow changes the behavior of the State. The thought itself just seems rather ridiculous when stated outright.

Who said we are suppose to be thankful to the state?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 11:32:17 AM
At 6/27/2012 11:30:26 AM, DanT wrote:

No-one is asking you to be grateful that you were robbed, they are asking you to be grateful that you are alive. If that happen to me I would be grateful that I a alive, but I would also be pissed that I was robbed. One does not only have to focus on the negative, as the positive is just as important.
I don't have the freedom to take a dump in the frozen food section, but I do have the freedom to choose between a variety of frozen pizzas. I am grateful that I have the freedom of choice.

That type of reasoning is foolish. It's asking me to ignore the immediate circumstances in my emotional judgments.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2012 11:41:21 AM
At 6/27/2012 11:32:17 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 6/27/2012 11:30:26 AM, DanT wrote:

That type of reasoning is foolish. It's asking me to ignore the immediate circumstances in my emotional judgments.

First off, I did not say you had to "ignore" being upset about getting robbed, but rather I said you could be upset about the robbery and still be thankful you are alive.
Again, no-one is asking you to thank the robber, they are asking you to be thankful (pleased and relieved) that your alive.