Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Why Can't We Opt Out Of Government Programs?

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 12:45:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why can't we opt out of government programs? Aside from the moral problems of an institution not giving you a choice but to give them your money (this is called theft), it produces inefficiency - why should government be more efficient when they don't have any competition, and when they can just extract more money from any citizen's earnings at any rate Congress votes on?

If we could opt out of government programs, the government would be forced to provide better and cheaper ones than they currently do.

Furthermore, why do we grant government a monopoly on the use of force/violence, which it uses to achieve its aims? This produces both tyranny and inefficiency.

It seems to me we'd be better off if no institution had a monopoly on the use of force, and if no institution was free from competition. This would go a long way in preventing inefficiencies in terms of services/goods and tyrannies in terms of our liberties/freedoms.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 2:06:58 AM
Some people think things like national defense and roads are public goods which can't be provided without the financial support of all society.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 2:26:33 AM
Then it wouldn't be a government program.

But, I see your point.

People should be able to opt out the payroll taxes used to fund a certain program as well.
As a general rule, you'll find that, when a conservative is talking about policy, history, economics, or something serious, liberals are nowhere to be found. But, as soon as a conservative mentions Obama's birthplace or personal life, liberals are everywhere, only to dissappear again when evidence enters the discussion.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 10:30:15 AM
I've often thought that on your tax forms you should be able to check which programs you want to fund.

If I'm all for national defense, border patrol and education I can check those things and that's where my money goes.

This way people could defund unpopular programs democratically.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 10:46:41 AM
At 6/29/2012 10:30:15 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I've often thought that on your tax forms you should be able to check which programs you want to fund.

If I'm all for national defense, border patrol and education I can check those things and that's where my money goes.

Yes!
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 11:05:26 AM
At 6/29/2012 10:46:41 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 6/29/2012 10:30:15 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Yes!

Maybe you could check off police too! We gotta track down them damn dirty homosexuals!
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 11:27:46 AM
Constitutionally people should be able to opt out of programs, as the constitution protects our right to life, liberty, and property.

Constitutionally people can't opt out of taxes, which is not the same as a government program. Originally income taxes were unconstitutional. I would be in favor of striking all direct taxes from the tax code.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 1:41:48 PM
At 6/29/2012 11:40:26 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Free rider problem.

Strong societal norms, contractual assurance, banded voluntary associations? Nah, guns seem easier.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 2:23:20 PM
At 6/29/2012 2:06:58 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Some people think things like national defense and roads are public goods which can't be provided without the financial support of all society.

The first I can see how uncreative sorts can't see it. The second should be obvious to anyone who has ever seen a toll road.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2012 2:24:03 PM
Constitutionally people can't opt out of taxes, which is not the same as a government program.
It's a systematic process of government action.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.