Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:23:23 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://mobile.washingtonpost.com...

I was on stumbleupon and this came up. For real, this guy sounds like a tool,

"Thomas E. Ricks, the esteemed military writer, thinks so, and in a New York Times op-ed, he gives some of the worst reasons for doing so. Among them is supplying the military with stooped labor for menial jobs "and in general doing lower-skills tasks so professional soldiers don't have to." One of them is "driving generals around."

Any thoughts? I think the guy is crazy to even suggest something like that, let alone simply so the military would have cheap forced janitorial labor. That is just utterly rediculous haha
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:27:11 AM
We already have the draft in Michigan, you are forced to sign up for it when you get your Driver's license or when you turn 18. I tried debating with the SoS clerk, but she wouldn't budge.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:28:30 AM
At 7/11/2012 11:27:11 AM, Contra wrote:
We already have the draft in Michigan, you are forced to sign up for it when you get your Driver's license or when you turn 18. I tried debating with the SoS clerk, but she wouldn't budge.

Ur talkin about Selective Services? Thats not a draft bro, but it is just in case it is reinstated I believe.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:30:46 AM
The Draft is such a ridiculous violation of personal freedom that any rational person should oppose it.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:31:22 AM
At 7/11/2012 11:30:46 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
The Draft is such a ridiculous violation of personal freedom that any rational person should oppose it.

Truth
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:32:52 AM
At 7/11/2012 11:28:30 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

Ur talkin about Selective Services? Thats not a draft bro, but it is just in case it is reinstated I believe.

She called it the draft, I think we must of had a misunderstanding then :D
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:37:27 AM
Thett and I were actually discussing this yesterday. What I find to be most horrifying is that the Pentagon actually outsources entry level desk jobs. That is idiotic.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:37:51 AM
At 7/11/2012 11:32:52 AM, Contra wrote:

Yeah, it technically is i suppose, cause its just the framework/registration thats in place to be able to quickly start up a draft and conscript people. You dont actually have to worry about it, as there hasnt been, and likely wont be a draft in the future. Unless theres another World War :S
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:38:45 AM
At 7/11/2012 11:37:27 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Thett and I were actually discussing this yesterday. What I find to be most horrifying is that the Pentagon actually outsources entry level desk jobs. That is idiotic.

I know right? Those are government jobs, outsourcing them seems rather humurous and stupid.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:40:36 AM
At 7/11/2012 11:38:45 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

I know right? Those are government jobs, outsourcing them seems rather humurous and stupid.

Mitt Romney did this in Massachusetts, just saying.

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:41:00 AM

Yeah, we have that in Florida too. I had to sign up to register for college.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:41:42 AM
At 7/11/2012 11:40:36 AM, Contra wrote:
At 7/11/2012 11:38:45 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

Mitt Romney did this in Massachusetts, just saying.

Mitt Romney.... ugh
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:47:11 AM
At 7/11/2012 11:41:00 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Yeah, we have that in Florida too. I had to sign up to register for college.

I remember when I signed up, they told me "Congratulations!!" as if entering myself into SS was something to be proud of...

And about the article, when I read it one of the things he said is that those who opt out should be given no government benefits...you know, the benefits that their tax dollars pay for?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 12:25:31 PM
The key to defeating the draft and stopping our policy of interventionism isn't in addressing the government, but addressing the people. Americans, I'm disappointed to say, actually initially support the wars that we enter,...moreover, most people support war time drafts.

In a democracy the government is usually the mouthpiece of the people and a reflection of their own problems.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 2:10:29 PM

It is the draft. We still have a draft we just don't call it up. Every 18 year old male in the country puts his name in. If the draft is ever called up they pick names. She was putting your name in the draft hat in case it's ever needed.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:23:43 PM
At 7/11/2012 11:23:23 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

"Thomas E. Ricks, the esteemed military writer, thinks so, and in a New York Times op-ed, he gives some of the worst reasons for doing so. Among them is supplying the military with stooped labor for menial jobs "and in general doing lower-skills tasks so professional soldiers don't have to." One of them is "driving generals around."

Any thoughts? I think the guy is crazy to even suggest something like that, let alone simply so the military would have cheap forced janitorial labor. That is just utterly rediculous haha

I 100% favor reinstating a draft.
Tsar of DDO
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:40:24 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:23:43 PM, YYW wrote:

What are your reasons? Also, I thought you didn't care about issues?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:47:45 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:40:24 PM, MouthWash wrote:

For me, this isn't an issue. The draft is a means to an end with a host of fringe benefits. We can quibble over the semantic differences if you like, but ultimately there should be a draft. In the broadest terms, military services conditions people to have self discipline, to make avid and prudent use of their lives.
Tsar of DDO
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 6:04:54 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:47:45 PM, YYW wrote:

For me, this isn't an issue. The draft is a means to an end with a host of fringe benefits. We can quibble over the semantic differences if you like, but ultimately there should be a draft. In the broadest terms, military services conditions people to have self discipline, to make avid and prudent use of their lives.

Well, we have a draft in Israel at age 18. I guess it does change people for the better.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 6:06:43 PM

Since when is the United States government in the business of youth character building? Weak argument.
Sapere Aude!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 6:52:27 PM
At 7/11/2012 6:04:54 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Well, we have a draft in Israel at age 18. I guess it does change people for the better.

I agree.
Tsar of DDO
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:04:26 PM
At 7/11/2012 6:06:43 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:

Since when is the United States government in the business of youth character building? Weak argument.

Why shouldn't it be in that business?
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:06:44 PM
At 7/11/2012 7:04:26 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Why shouldn't it be in that business?
BOP is on you.
Sapere Aude!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 7:28:50 PM

When I read that, I lol'd. Then I looked at your profile pic, and lol'd again.
Tsar of DDO
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:12:05 PM

1. Prove that people have an obligation to make prudent uses of their lives in the manner that you and the state see fit (as opposed to pursuing their own ends)

2. Demonstrate why we can't cultivate this through alternative means that don't violate liberty.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:43:28 PM
I'd only be in favor of the draft if it was desperately needed, and what it was desperately needed to fight was a enemy force that might actually attack the homeland.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:50:14 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:43:28 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I'd only be in favor of the draft if it was desperately needed, and what it was desperately needed to fight was a enemy force that might actually attack the homeland.

I agree, if you really love your country and it's in dire need you shouldn't have any qualms about the draft.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:51:25 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:50:14 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I agree, if you really love your country and it's in dire need you shouldn't have any qualms about the draft.

Bull. People are not created to serve society; society is created to serve people, and society cannot coerce people into forgoing their natural rights.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:56:31 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:51:25 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Bull. People are not created to serve society; society is created to serve people, and society cannot coerce people into forgoing their natural rights.

See, the problem is, in the scenario I'm talking about.....well, people would sorta be f***ed if the enemy won....so...yeah, it's the lesser of two evils.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 9:58:33 PM
At 7/11/2012 9:56:31 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 7/11/2012 9:51:25 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

See, the problem is, in the scenario I'm talking about.....well, people would sorta be f***ed if the enemy won....so...yeah, it's the lesser of two evils.

Well, in that case, people would likely choose to go to war, so a draft isn't necessary. Regardless, it's still their choice. If someone is a pacifist and would rather die or he or she doesn't support the particular war, he/she should not have to fight.