Total Posts:56|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

My Benefits

MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 10:30:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
My long list of benefits include:

$40,000 tuition paid for in full for four years.
$1,100 a month for living expenses.
Free medicine.
Free medical appointments.
Free eye glasses.
Loads of other free stuff that I'm probably missing.
$4,500 additional tuition assistance per year.
An option to repay up to $50,000 in federal loans at the end of my two-year National Guard contract.

How did I get all of these benefits? Four years in the Marine Corps, and a current obligation to the NY National Guard. I got one month of hostile fire pay and deployed to East Asia twice; I was also exposed to radiation and given some experimental immunizations (anthrax.) Combat veterans get even more than I do.

I believe that generous benefits produce the best volunteer military possible, because in a free society you are basically waiving your constitutional rights by joining the military. So in that sense they are good; I want to hear some other opinions though. What do you all think about the generous benefits that veterans receive?
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:48:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
They're good.

Veterans serve their country and their country rewards them. They're employed by the state so the state can reward them in anyway they wish. My dad's a vet so maybe I'm a little bias.

Thank you for your service by the way! I'm grateful for it.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:51:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What freedom were you defending in East Asia again? Oh wait, I forgot you're a veteran so it doesn't matter what you do you still deserve respect for some reason. Nothing against you personally, just the patriotic babble below the OP that annoyed me there. But really what were you doing in East Asia?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 11:57:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 11:51:40 PM, socialpinko wrote:
What freedom were you defending in East Asia again? Oh wait, I forgot you're a veteran so it doesn't matter what you do you still deserve respect for some reason. Nothing against you personally, just the patriotic babble below the OP that annoyed me there. But really what were you doing in East Asia?

We were training with our allies and teaching them how to fight terrorists in their countries. I believe the Filipino Marines we trained deployed to combat in the southern islands to fight muslim terrorists, and the Thai Marines we trained fought Cambodia (whom we also trained, oddly enough.) We also assisted with the humanitarian operation in Japan after the tsunami and nuclear meltdown, and we did a humanitarian mission in the Philippines as well.

We trained with the ROK Marines, Japanese Self-Defense Force, and Indonesian Army as well. We mostly taught them stuff, and they tried to teach us some of their stuff.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:01:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/11/2012 11:57:04 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 7/11/2012 11:51:40 PM, socialpinko wrote:
What freedom were you defending in East Asia again? Oh wait, I forgot you're a veteran so it doesn't matter what you do you still deserve respect for some reason. Nothing against you personally, just the patriotic babble below the OP that annoyed me there. But really what were you doing in East Asia?

We were training with our allies and teaching them how to fight terrorists in their countries. I believe the Filipino Marines we trained deployed to combat in the southern islands to fight muslim terrorists, and the Thai Marines we trained fought Cambodia (whom we also trained, oddly enough.) We also assisted with the humanitarian operation in Japan after the tsunami and nuclear meltdown, and we did a humanitarian mission in the Philippines as well.

We trained with the ROK Marines, Japanese Self-Defense Force, and Indonesian Army as well. We mostly taught them stuff, and they tried to teach us some of their stuff.

Sounds like you were defending a lot of American freedom lol.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:12:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sounds like you were defending a lot of American freedom lol.

I joined the Marine Corps, picked an 03 job (infantry,) and got placed into a line company. I wanted to go to combat, but the cards didn't play out that way and it wasn't my call. The military isn't just about defending American freedom, the military is used in a diplomatic capacity these days; participating in humanitarian missions, training with allies, and acting as good will ambassadors to the people of other countries.

In that regard I think what we did over there was important, because at the end of the day we helped a lot more people in a month long operation than most volunteer organizations do in years. Furthermore, we helped give people a positive image of America through interactions with the people of these countries. We actually went into a lot of schools in Indonesia and Thailand, talking to students and telling them about America.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:13:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:12:26 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
Sounds like you were defending a lot of American freedom lol.

I joined the Marine Corps, picked an 03 job (infantry,) and got placed into a line company. I wanted to go to combat, but the cards didn't play out that way and it wasn't my call. The military isn't just about defending American freedom, the military is used in a diplomatic capacity these days; participating in humanitarian missions, training with allies, and acting as good will ambassadors to the people of other countries.

In that regard I think what we did over there was important, because at the end of the day we helped a lot more people in a month long operation than most volunteer organizations do in years. Furthermore, we helped give people a positive image of America through interactions with the people of these countries. We actually went into a lot of schools in Indonesia and Thailand, talking to students and telling them about America.

So you guys were basically glorified volunteers then.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:20:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So you guys were basically glorified volunteers then.

No, because the humanitarian missions were just that, humanitarian missions. They enhance America's image and national prestige, and solidify relations between us and our allies. I don't consider it to be volunteer work when you are representing America in another country; I consider it to be a civic service.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:23:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just calling us glorifed volunteers is also ignoring the other things I told you we did. To put it into perspective, we spent one month on both of my deployments doing humanitarian missions. We spent two months on the ground training with allies, and the other three on ship or in Okinawa.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:23:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:20:51 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
So you guys were basically glorified volunteers then.

No, because the humanitarian missions were just that, humanitarian missions. They enhance America's image and national prestige, and solidify relations between us and our allies. I don't consider it to be volunteer work when you are representing America in another country; I consider it to be a civic service.

Wut. You didn't defend anyone, you just helped some people out with stuff. That's what humanitarian volunteers do. The difference is they're not automatically respected as somehow performing a worthwhile service.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:24:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:23:38 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
Just calling us glorifed volunteers is also ignoring the other things I told you we did. To put it into perspective, we spent one month on both of my deployments doing humanitarian missions.

Refer to my earlier description

We spent two months on the ground training with allies,

Glorified teachers

and the other three on ship or in Okinawa.

Glorified sailors
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:35:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:23:41 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:20:51 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
So you guys were basically glorified volunteers then.

No, because the humanitarian missions were just that, humanitarian missions. They enhance America's image and national prestige, and solidify relations between us and our allies. I don't consider it to be volunteer work when you are representing America in another country; I consider it to be a civic service.

Wut. You didn't defend anyone, you just helped some people out with stuff. That's what humanitarian volunteers do. The difference is they're not automatically respected as somehow performing a worthwhile service.

The purpose of a Marine Expeditionary Force is to be prepared to respond to any threat to American interests. This is done by forward deploying Marine and Navy units in the Atlantic and Pacific regions; the MEF I was in was located in Okinawa. The MEF is always patrolling and conducting training exercises, and is always ready to act if something happens. The 31st MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit,) that my unit was attached to actually went to Iraq and Afghanistan several times.

Not every Marine unit can just go to Afghanistan and Iraq, we have other commitments throughout the world that we have to keep in order to ensure our freedom. That's why my unit was attached to the 31st MEU, twice. So I was defending freedom, and just because I didn't see combat doesn't mean that should be trivialized in any way.

I have a lot of respect for Afghan veterans and Iraq veterans, but I also have a lot of respect for the guys I served with on the 31st MEU. Do not belittle what they did, because they all signed up with the intention of going to combat. They all served as forward deployed Marines, whom would have been the first to be sent into a hostile country if American interests were threatened.

Veterans are respected for a reason. It's because they deserve that respect, because they do a lot of good in this world. I think it's a little sick that you consider killing and dying to be more worthy of respect than saving a life, or giving someone a positive image of what an American citizen really is.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:44:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:24:47 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:23:38 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
Just calling us glorifed volunteers is also ignoring the other things I told you we did. To put it into perspective, we spent one month on both of my deployments doing humanitarian missions.

Refer to my earlier description

We spent two months on the ground training with allies,

Glorified teachers

and the other three on ship or in Okinawa.

Glorified sailors

You really have no place to talk, in all honestly. You're not even eighteen years old yet, so you havn't even experienced enough of the real world to know how much of an impact these functions have on international relations and America's image in the world. Furthermore, I've done my best to educate you on what our function was and what we actually did. Go out and actually do some of the things I did, then tell me if non-combat Marines deserve respect.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:48:04 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:23:41 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:20:51 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
So you guys were basically glorified volunteers then.

No, because the humanitarian missions were just that, humanitarian missions. They enhance America's image and national prestige, and solidify relations between us and our allies. I don't consider it to be volunteer work when you are representing America in another country; I consider it to be a civic service.

Wut. You didn't defend anyone, you just helped some people out with stuff. That's what humanitarian volunteers do. The difference is they're not automatically respected as somehow performing a worthwhile service.

Well, they are performing worthwhile services. So I guess respect isn't entirely unwarranted.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:49:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:35:26 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
The purpose of a Marine Expeditionary Force is to be prepared to respond to any threat to American interests. This is done by forward deploying Marine and Navy units in the Atlantic and Pacific regions; the MEF I was in was located in Okinawa. The MEF is always patrolling and conducting training exercises, and is always ready to act if something happens. The 31st MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit,) that my unit was attached to actually went to Iraq and Afghanistan several times.

Cool.

Not every Marine unit can just go to Afghanistan and Iraq, we have other commitments throughout the world that we have to keep in order to ensure our freedom. That's why my unit was attached to the 31st MEU, twice. So I was defending freedom, and just because I didn't see combat doesn't mean that should be trivialized in any way.

You weren't defending freedom though. You basically said you were training other people to fight terrorists in their own country. How does translate to American freedom? And to be clear the chaps in Afghanistan or Iraq aren't doing much to help freedom either.

I have a lot of respect for Afghan veterans and Iraq veterans, but I also have a lot of respect for the guys I served with on the 31st MEU. Do not belittle what they did, because they all signed up with the intention of going to combat. They all served as forward deployed Marines, whom would have been the first to be sent into a hostile country if American interests were threatened.

Perhaps but that doesn't mean they actually did anything to protect my or any other Americans freedom.

Veterans are respected for a reason. It's because they deserve that respect, because they do a lot of good in this world. I think it's a little sick that you consider killing and dying to be more worthy of respect than saving a life, or giving someone a positive image of what an American citizen really is.

Veterans are respected because (A) people just assume that any U.S. wars after the war spawning it's independence from Britain were justified and (B) anyone who doesn't play into the troop worship is marginalized and accused of hating America or some shat.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 12:52:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:44:17 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:24:47 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:23:38 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
Just calling us glorifed volunteers is also ignoring the other things I told you we did. To put it into perspective, we spent one month on both of my deployments doing humanitarian missions.

Refer to my earlier description

We spent two months on the ground training with allies,

Glorified teachers

and the other three on ship or in Okinawa.

Glorified sailors

You really have no place to talk, in all honestly. You're not even eighteen years old yet, so you havn't even experienced enough of the real world to know how much of an impact these functions have on international relations and America's image in the world.

So you'll listen to me starting on my eighteenth birthday? I didn't realize everything was so cut and dry in that sense.

Furthermore, I've done my best to educate you on what our function was and what we actually did. Go out and actually do some of the things I did, then tell me if non-combat Marines deserve respect.

You've described things non-essential for the military to do and that don't really require the military to accomplish. I trust humanitarian organizations a bit more than the U.S. military.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 1:02:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 12:52:54 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:44:17 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:24:47 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/12/2012 12:23:38 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
Just calling us glorifed volunteers is also ignoring the other things I told you we did. To put it into perspective, we spent one month on both of my deployments doing humanitarian missions.

Refer to my earlier description

We spent two months on the ground training with allies,

Glorified teachers

and the other three on ship or in Okinawa.

Glorified sailors

You really have no place to talk, in all honestly. You're not even eighteen years old yet, so you havn't even experienced enough of the real world to know how much of an impact these functions have on international relations and America's image in the world.

So you'll listen to me starting on my eighteenth birthday? I didn't realize everything was so cut and dry in that sense.

Furthermore, I've done my best to educate you on what our function was and what we actually did. Go out and actually do some of the things I did, then tell me if non-combat Marines deserve respect.

You've described things non-essential for the military to do and that don't really require the military to accomplish. I trust humanitarian organizations a bit more than the U.S. military.

He chose to serve his country so fvck off. Yes, what he did was service to the United States of America, a country that millions of people love. In fact, you should leave it. Go move to Iran or Cuba you fvcker.
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 1:08:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 1:02:30 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:


He chose to serve his country so fvck off. Yes, what he did was service to the United States of America, a country that millions of people love. In fact, you should leave it. Go move to Iran or Cuba you fvcker.

^ Such a well thought out argument without any logical fallacies. ^_^
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 1:11:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 1:02:30 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
He chose to serve his country so fvck off. Yes, what he did was service to the United States of America, a country that millions of people love. In fact, you should leave it. Go move to Iran or Cuba you fvcker.

Dude chill. Part of our freedom is the right to disagree with national policy and still be included in society.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 1:14:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 1:11:08 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 7/12/2012 1:02:30 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
He chose to serve his country so fvck off. Yes, what he did was service to the United States of America, a country that millions of people love. In fact, you should leave it. Go move to Iran or Cuba you fvcker.

Dude chill. Part of our freedom is the right to disagree with national policy and still be included in society.

Well, his point is more so that if he hates it so much, why not go somewhere where they follow what he likes.

But, yeah CP, take a chilly pill.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 1:17:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 1:02:30 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

He chose to serve his country so fvck off. Yes, what he did was service to the United States of America, a country that millions of people love. In fact, you should leave it. Go move to Iran or Cuba you fvcker.

I was just waiting for a little patriot to bust out the ad hominems. (A) I never said what he did wasn't a service. I said it didn't protect freedom and (B) what he did is something I trust humanitarian organizations to do much more than the U.S. military. (C) I don't care if you love America that doesn't really change all the sh1t the government and especially the military are responsible for. Your point is just a poorly thought out argument from popularity. (D) why should I have to move? It's not as if the U.S. government is actually a legitimate authority within this area. You're just kinda assuming that and I very much doubt you can really back up that it does. I wouldn't expect a "love it or leave it" kind of person to be too well versed in political philosophy anyways. (E) Funny choice of countries. Doubtless you included them because you think everyone who hates America is the same right? I guess you and Hitler are the same because you're both statists. Lol if you love the government so much move to North Korea right! (F) You seem to assume "serving his country" automatically deserves respect. But there's a problem see with your pretty little presupposition sir. You probably think differently of Nazi soldiers who were after all just serving their country. Apparently it's only respectable if it's our guys right? All those other patriots from foreign countries can fvck off right? Fvcking off does seem to be your preferred prescription for people you disagree with.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 1:19:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 1:14:22 AM, OberHerr wrote:
At 7/12/2012 1:11:08 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 7/12/2012 1:02:30 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
He chose to serve his country so fvck off. Yes, what he did was service to the United States of America, a country that millions of people love. In fact, you should leave it. Go move to Iran or Cuba you fvcker.

Dude chill. Part of our freedom is the right to disagree with national policy and still be included in society.

Well, his point is more so that if he hates it so much, why not go somewhere where they follow what he likes.

No place does that (though I lol'd when he suggested Cuba and Iran) and I don't think I should have to. The USFG doesn't have a right to just proclaim their edicts the law of the land with any legitimate authority. They just happen to have the guns. The love it or leave it argument is useless because it doesn't defend the presupposition of governmental sovereignty.

But, yeah CP, take a chilly pill.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 10:48:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I believe that anyone that joins the military deserves to be respected for it, but that's my personal world view and I don't expect everyone to have the same world view as me. I also believe that you shouldn't blindly support what the military does, because at the end of the day it is run by the government. I do not have anything against socialpinko for questioning what the military does, and I don't think he should have to leave America for disagreeing with how the government uses the military.

Hell, if I said he had to leave for disagreeing with the government, I'd have to leave myself.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 11:06:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 1:11:08 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 7/12/2012 1:02:30 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
He chose to serve his country so fvck off. Yes, what he did was service to the United States of America, a country that millions of people love. In fact, you should leave it. Go move to Iran or Cuba you fvcker.

Dude chill. Part of our freedom is the right to disagree with national policy and still be included in society.

Not according to ConPo. You have an obligation to do what the government tells you and buy its jingoist nonsense.

Government can force people to do things as long as it doesn't help those nasty indigent people on the streets. That's where big government goes wrong. If it forces you to sacrifice your life through conscription or to pay vast sums of money to glorified volunteers, it's doing just fine.

The military isn't needed to help with the tsunami; other people could have done it just as easy (peace corps)
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 11:18:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Thank you for your service. I've heard that their socialized medicine (Veterans Administration) is really good to our servicemen and women.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 11:18:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 11:15:54 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
It's kind of disgusting that anyone can get so caustic over a piece of land, the derps who administrate it, and the ultra-derps who basically export American culture to other countries to extend its sphere of influence. Maybe CP should change the P to "pundit".
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 11:49:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 11:18:06 AM, Contra wrote:
Thank you for your service. I've heard that their socialized medicine (Veterans Administration) is really good to our servicemen and women.

No, it's complete crap. I had buddies that elected to pay out of pocket for private doctors, rather than get surgeries from military doctors. I had a team leader that held off a surgery for two years, because military doctors messed up his wife's surgery and almost killed her.

The VA isn't much better; I had to wait over a month to just see a doctor.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 11:55:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The military isn't needed to help with the tsunami; other people could have done it just as easy (peace corps)

I don't get this, at all. Why does everyone seem to have a problem with the military being used for purposes other than combat? Even on American soil we use the National Guard to help with disaster relief. In recent memory we had the National Guard deploy to New Orleans after Katrina.

We're promoting good will and giving other countries a positive image of America, and we're already in the area. Strengthening alliances and showing the average citizens of foreign countries that Americans aren't all that bad often prevents wars, or ensures that our allies will be there when war comes.

Besides, if we just sailed around for six months we'd be wasting money. Our real purpose out there is to be a reactionary force in case North Korea, China, or some tin pot dictator decides to attack us or our allies. We're already there, so we might as well train with our allies and promote America's image.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 11:59:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/12/2012 11:55:44 AM, MrBrooks wrote:
The military isn't needed to help with the tsunami; other people could have done it just as easy (peace corps)

I don't get this, at all. Why does everyone seem to have a problem with the military being used for purposes other than combat? Even on American soil we use the National Guard to help with disaster relief. In recent memory we had the National Guard deploy to New Orleans after Katrina.

We're promoting good will and giving other countries a positive image of America, and we're already in the area. Strengthening alliances and showing the average citizens of foreign countries that Americans aren't all that bad often prevents wars, or ensures that our allies will be there when war comes.

Besides, if we just sailed around for six months we'd be wasting money. Our real purpose out there is to be a reactionary force in case North Korea, China, or some tin pot dictator decides to attack us or our allies. We're already there, so we might as well train with our allies and promote America's image.

Not to mention the military is infinitely better equip, better training and more resources.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-