Jump to topic:

Another Survey Comparing Health Care Systems

JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 8:22:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Interesting survey of hospital execs in various countries: the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

Shows the strengths and weaknesses of each system. Personally, I think the US has the best system, with less wait times and higher quality.

Here is a link:

http://content.healthaffairs.org...?
As a general rule, you'll find that, when a conservative is talking about policy, history, economics, or something serious, liberals are nowhere to be found. But, as soon as a conservative mentions Obama's birthplace or personal life, liberals are everywhere, only to dissappear again when evidence enters the discussion.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 8:52:20 PM
At 7/13/2012 8:22:44 PM, JamesMadison wrote:
Interesting survey of hospital execs in various countries: the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

Shows the strengths and weaknesses of each system. Personally, I think the US has the best system, with less wait times and higher quality.

Here is a link:

It's so hard(and mostly pointless*) to compare systems. None of the studies used in politics do any control for natural rates of disease, differences in society, external costs, or even a breakdown of costs.

I basically have found that the most of the difference in cost for US healthcare is due to our higher rates of obesity, diabetes, traffic accidents/homicides, cost of education,malpractice insurance, and prescription prices.

None of those factors really relate to our system or any inherent problems in it.

*It's completely pointless to compare for political reasons with studies like the WHO put out in 2000, as it misinforms the public and can be dangerous to worldwide health. So not pointless actually, just harmful.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 9:00:29 PM
At 7/13/2012 8:52:20 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 7/13/2012 8:22:44 PM, JamesMadison wrote:

Here is a link:

It's so hard(and mostly pointless*) to compare systems. None of the studies used in politics do any control for natural rates of disease, differences in society, external costs, or even a breakdown of costs.

I basically have found that the most of the difference in cost for US healthcare is due to our higher rates of obesity, diabetes, traffic accidents/homicides, cost of education,malpractice insurance, and prescription prices.

None of those factors really relate to our system or any inherent problems in it.

*It's completely pointless to compare for political reasons with studies like the WHO put out in 2000, as it misinforms the public and can be dangerous to worldwide health. So not pointless actually, just harmful.

True for things like life expectancy, infant mortality, etc. Which is why it bugs me when people say the US system is inferior because of these things.

But, when looking at quality of technology, disease survival rates, and waiting times I think comparitive surveys are more informative.
As a general rule, you'll find that, when a conservative is talking about policy, history, economics, or something serious, liberals are nowhere to be found. But, as soon as a conservative mentions Obama's birthplace or personal life, liberals are everywhere, only to dissappear again when evidence enters the discussion.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 9:01:53 PM

This, although I think the quality of our healthcare is good in comparison.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2012 9:07:53 PM
At 7/13/2012 9:01:53 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

This, although I think the quality of our healthcare is good in comparison.

Agreed.