Total Posts:86|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Freeloaders? Disgusting

Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 4:41:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Next time somebody asks you to give them money on the street? Make sure to intentionally not give it to them.

The most disturbing part is the YouWalkAway.com, in which the person actually states that you have ZERO obligation to finish paying a mortgage on a house which you voluntarily obtained while knowing the full value.

Disgusting self-entitled pigs.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 7:34:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Bumpity bump.

Nobody wants to talk about leeches on society? Pity.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 7:39:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Are we talking about homeless people? I spare some change if I can manage. No problem man.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 8:03:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.

Lol. You haven't seen the videos, have you? The whole point is that those who are asking for money on the street, are the very which who either A) Don't need the money or B) Don't deserve the money. One actual homeless person in the video stated something along the lines of "Why should I have to work five days a week if I don't want to?"

Those who need the money are usually instead actively looking for jobs.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 8:10:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 8:03:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.

Lol. You haven't seen the videos, have you? The whole point is that those who are asking for money on the street, are the very which who either A) Don't need the money or B) Don't deserve the money. One actual homeless person in the video stated something along the lines of "Why should I have to work five days a week if I don't want to?"

Those who need the money are usually instead actively looking for jobs.

Or c) Are in a position where they can't get the money due to that little thing called the recession? Which has basically killed min. wage employment? That little thing?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 8:15:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 8:10:56 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:03:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.

Lol. You haven't seen the videos, have you? The whole point is that those who are asking for money on the street, are the very which who either A) Don't need the money or B) Don't deserve the money. One actual homeless person in the video stated something along the lines of "Why should I have to work five days a week if I don't want to?"

Those who need the money are usually instead actively looking for jobs.

Or c) Are in a position where they can't get the money due to that little thing called the recession? Which has basically killed min. wage employment? That little thing?

Most people don't become homeless because of cyclical business fluctuations, but mostly because of choices such as alcohol and drugs.

Furthermore, those with the human capital to work- assuming they were fired- will likely be searching for jobs, not standing out on the street.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 8:30:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 8:15:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:10:56 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:03:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.

Lol. You haven't seen the videos, have you? The whole point is that those who are asking for money on the street, are the very which who either A) Don't need the money or B) Don't deserve the money. One actual homeless person in the video stated something along the lines of "Why should I have to work five days a week if I don't want to?"

Those who need the money are usually instead actively looking for jobs.

Or c) Are in a position where they can't get the money due to that little thing called the recession? Which has basically killed min. wage employment? That little thing?

Most people don't become homeless because of cyclical business fluctuations, but mostly because of choices such as alcohol and drugs.

Furthermore, those with the human capital to work- assuming they were fired- will likely be searching for jobs, not standing out on the street.

Or mental illness which is pervasive among these people. Or I suppose many of them grew up in middle class households and aspired to be a homeless drug addict so he could leach of the hard-earned income of others?

Getting a job these days is hard enough for college student, never mind a homeless person with a history of substance abuse.
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:15:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 8:03:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.

Lol. You haven't seen the videos, have you? The whole point is that those who are asking for money on the street, are the very which who either A) Don't need the money or B) Don't deserve the money. One actual homeless person in the video stated something along the lines of "Why should I have to work five days a week if I don't want to?"


I get your point, but what do you mean some of them don't need the money? I'm pretty sure that all of them could use the money, even if they don't deserve it. My point is their lives are already pretty much ruined. They're not living luxuriously at your expense.

Those who need the money are usually instead actively looking for jobs.

I agree, if need were replaced with most deserve. However there are many homeless beggars who simply cannot find a job. Just because their circumstances may be due to their own mistakes does not mean that they are not in need.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:16:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 8:30:23 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:15:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:10:56 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:03:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.

Lol. You haven't seen the videos, have you? The whole point is that those who are asking for money on the street, are the very which who either A) Don't need the money or B) Don't deserve the money. One actual homeless person in the video stated something along the lines of "Why should I have to work five days a week if I don't want to?"

Those who need the money are usually instead actively looking for jobs.

Or c) Are in a position where they can't get the money due to that little thing called the recession? Which has basically killed min. wage employment? That little thing?

Most people don't become homeless because of cyclical business fluctuations, but mostly because of choices such as alcohol and drugs.

Furthermore, those with the human capital to work- assuming they were fired- will likely be searching for jobs, not standing out on the street.

Or mental illness which is pervasive among these people.

Most of these mental illnesses are a result of their substance abuse. Furthermore, anybody who can stand outside and beg is not too mentally defect in the sense that they can't work.

Or I suppose many of them grew up in middle class households and aspired to be a homeless drug addict so he could leach of the hard-earned income of others?

I appreciate your satire but nobody aims to become a drug addict; it happens because of their choices, which they make and sometimes have unanticipated consequences.

Getting a job these days is hard enough for college student, never mind a homeless person with a history of substance abuse.

Getting a good, sustainable, and high-paying job? Definitely. Getting a minimum wage job? Pretty easy.

The minimum wage is actually a huge obstacle to the unemployed and poor getting back into the labour force.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:38:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Freeloaders are an economic burden.

Fortunately the PPACA strongly deals with the burden of freeloaders by ensuring that all citizens have health insurance or face a penalty.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:52:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 9:38:06 PM, Contra wrote:
Freeloaders are an economic burden.

Fortunately the PPACA strongly deals with the burden of freeloaders by ensuring that all citizens have health insurance or face a penalty.

"Well, if things were that easy, I could mandate everybody to buy a house, and that would solve the problem of homelessness. It doesn't.- Barack Obama
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:55:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 4:41:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:


Next time somebody asks you to give them money on the street? Make sure to intentionally not give it to them.

The most disturbing part is the YouWalkAway.com, in which the person actually states that you have ZERO obligation to finish paying a mortgage on a house which you voluntarily obtained while knowing the full value.

Disgusting self-entitled pigs.



You do have zero obligation. You just lose the house in the process, that is the point of collateral. I can stop paying may car payment any time I so choose (well, actually not, since I own my car), but if I do, I lose my car.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:57:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 9:52:55 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:38:06 PM, Contra wrote:
Freeloaders are an economic burden.

Fortunately the PPACA strongly deals with the burden of freeloaders by ensuring that all citizens have health insurance or face a penalty.

"Well, if things were that easy, I could mandate everybody to buy a house, and that would solve the problem of homelessness. It doesn't.- Barack Obama

You know, if you execute all the homeless people, there wouldn't be any homeless people and so the problem would technically be solved, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:58:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 9:55:28 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/16/2012 4:41:16 PM, Lordknukle wrote:


Next time somebody asks you to give them money on the street? Make sure to intentionally not give it to them.

The most disturbing part is the YouWalkAway.com, in which the person actually states that you have ZERO obligation to finish paying a mortgage on a house which you voluntarily obtained while knowing the full value.

Disgusting self-entitled pigs.



You do have zero obligation. You just lose the house in the process, that is the point of collateral. I can stop paying may car payment any time I so choose (well, actually not, since I own my car), but if I do, I lose my car.

You're right, but these people believe that you have ZERO obligation to pay AND you get to keep your house in the process; in fact, there is one woman in this video who has kept her house despite not paying mortgage for 25 years. This is the epitome of uselessness.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 9:59:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 9:38:06 PM, Contra wrote:
Freeloaders are an economic burden.

Fortunately the PPACA strongly deals with the burden of freeloaders by ensuring that all citizens have health insurance or face a penalty.

Right, because a freeloader- who's problem is a sense of entitlement- will benefit more from receiving government programs and getting an even bigger boost to their entitlement idiocy.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:04:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 9:38:06 PM, Contra wrote:
Freeloaders are an economic burden.

Fortunately the PPACA strongly deals with the burden of freeloaders by ensuring that all citizens have health insurance or face a tax.


Fixed.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:05:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 9:16:54 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:30:23 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:15:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:10:56 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:03:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.

Lol. You haven't seen the videos, have you? The whole point is that those who are asking for money on the street, are the very which who either A) Don't need the money or B) Don't deserve the money. One actual homeless person in the video stated something along the lines of "Why should I have to work five days a week if I don't want to?"

Those who need the money are usually instead actively looking for jobs.

Or c) Are in a position where they can't get the money due to that little thing called the recession? Which has basically killed min. wage employment? That little thing?

Most people don't become homeless because of cyclical business fluctuations, but mostly because of choices such as alcohol and drugs.

Furthermore, those with the human capital to work- assuming they were fired- will likely be searching for jobs, not standing out on the street.

Or mental illness which is pervasive among these people.

Most of these mental illnesses are a result of their substance abuse. Furthermore, anybody who can stand outside and beg is not too mentally defect in the sense that they can't work.

Or I suppose many of them grew up in middle class households and aspired to be a homeless drug addict so he could leach of the hard-earned income of others?

I appreciate your satire but nobody aims to become a drug addict; it happens because of their choices, which they make and sometimes have unanticipated consequences.

http://www.safehorizon.org...

About 16% of homeless are under 5 years old. They didn't get there because of THEM doing drugs. And their situations will greatly increase their odds of doing drugs and getting hooked because of a lack of understanding until addiction takes hold.

Actually, many of them become homeless because they flee abusive (usually physical, but too often sexual) homes (sometimes their own parents and sometimes foster/adoptive). Without an address, they find it difficult to find employment or homes (since appartments will not lease to those under 18).



Getting a job these days is hard enough for college student, never mind a homeless person with a history of substance abuse.

Getting a good, sustainable, and high-paying job? Definitely. Getting a minimum wage job? Pretty easy.

Not really for a homeless person. Here, try this. Don't shave for three weeks, go buy some raggedy clothes from good will, and wear them everyday for those three weeks, never shaving or brushing your teeth. Then go see how easy it is to get a job like that.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:06:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 10:04:26 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:38:06 PM, Contra wrote:
Freeloaders are an economic burden.

Fortunately the PPACA strongly deals with the burden of freeloaders by ensuring that all citizens have health insurance or face a tax.


Fixed.

Does it matter? I mean, legally it does, but in the end the government is still taking money because you refused to purchase something. If you have a problem with that, does it being a tax make it worse?
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:11:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 9:57:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:52:55 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:38:06 PM, Contra wrote:
Freeloaders are an economic burden.

Fortunately the PPACA strongly deals with the burden of freeloaders by ensuring that all citizens have health insurance or face a penalty.

"Well, if things were that easy, I could mandate everybody to buy a house, and that would solve the problem of homelessness. It doesn't.- Barack Obama

You know, if you execute all the homeless people, there wouldn't be any homeless people and so the problem would technically be solved, lol.

Don't say that around LK. His hatred of homeless people makes me wonder bro.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:11:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 10:05:19 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:16:54 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:30:23 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:15:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:10:56 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:03:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.

Lol. You haven't seen the videos, have you? The whole point is that those who are asking for money on the street, are the very which who either A) Don't need the money or B) Don't deserve the money. One actual homeless person in the video stated something along the lines of "Why should I have to work five days a week if I don't want to?"

Those who need the money are usually instead actively looking for jobs.

Or c) Are in a position where they can't get the money due to that little thing called the recession? Which has basically killed min. wage employment? That little thing?

Most people don't become homeless because of cyclical business fluctuations, but mostly because of choices such as alcohol and drugs.

Furthermore, those with the human capital to work- assuming they were fired- will likely be searching for jobs, not standing out on the street.

Or mental illness which is pervasive among these people.

Most of these mental illnesses are a result of their substance abuse. Furthermore, anybody who can stand outside and beg is not too mentally defect in the sense that they can't work.

Or I suppose many of them grew up in middle class households and aspired to be a homeless drug addict so he could leach of the hard-earned income of others?

I appreciate your satire but nobody aims to become a drug addict; it happens because of their choices, which they make and sometimes have unanticipated consequences.

http://www.safehorizon.org...

About 16% of homeless are under 5 years old. They didn't get there because of THEM doing drugs.

Of course not. However, their parents did and ultimately, the cost is passed down to the child. Whether this is justified or fair is irrelevant; what's important is that homelessness is usually made through poor life choices (addiction and substance abuse) and exacerbated further through poorer life choices when you are already poor (having a child while homeless).

And their situations will greatly increase their odds of doing drugs and getting hooked because of a lack of understanding until addiction takes hold.

Yup.

Actually, many of them become homeless because they flee abusive (usually physical, but too often sexual) homes (sometimes their own parents and sometimes foster/adoptive). Without an address, they find it difficult to find employment or homes (since appartments will not lease to those under 18).

Go past the mantra that these issues need to be addressed and you realize that a large portion- if not the majority- of homeless people struggle with drugs (https://docs.google.com...). Does this mean that drugs caused them to become homeless? Not necessarily. However, they effectively doomed them to this life with little chance of getting back up.

Also, if you are fleeing an abusive household as a minor, then there are hundreds of organizations that you can turn to.



Getting a job these days is hard enough for college student, never mind a homeless person with a history of substance abuse.

Getting a good, sustainable, and high-paying job? Definitely. Getting a minimum wage job? Pretty easy.

Not really for a homeless person. Here, try this. Don't shave for three weeks, go buy some raggedy clothes from good will, and wear them everyday for those three weeks, never shaving or brushing your teeth. Then go see how easy it is to get a job like that.

There are organizations which help homeless people accomplish just this.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:12:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 9:57:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:52:55 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:38:06 PM, Contra wrote:
Freeloaders are an economic burden.

Fortunately the PPACA strongly deals with the burden of freeloaders by ensuring that all citizens have health insurance or face a penalty.

"Well, if things were that easy, I could mandate everybody to buy a house, and that would solve the problem of homelessness. It doesn't.- Barack Obama

You know, if you execute all the homeless people, there wouldn't be any homeless people and so the problem would technically be solved, lol.

The homeless are necessary to preserve an incentive for motivation.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:16:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 10:11:14 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:57:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:52:55 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:38:06 PM, Contra wrote:
Freeloaders are an economic burden.

Fortunately the PPACA strongly deals with the burden of freeloaders by ensuring that all citizens have health insurance or face a penalty.

"Well, if things were that easy, I could mandate everybody to buy a house, and that would solve the problem of homelessness. It doesn't.- Barack Obama

You know, if you execute all the homeless people, there wouldn't be any homeless people and so the problem would technically be solved, lol.

Don't say that around LK. His hatred of homeless people makes me wonder bro.

I don't "hate" homeless people. I just recognize that most of the time it is their fault and they are a useful part of the economic structure- both providing motivation to not become poor and often occupying some very low paying jobs (although that is quite rare in this self-entitled society).
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:21:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 10:11:51 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 10:05:19 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:16:54 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:30:23 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:15:47 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:10:56 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 7/16/2012 8:03:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 7:45:07 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
Yeah, they should have jobs and be contributing to society, but I think that living in rags on the streets is punishment enough. Seriously, why get so worked up about it? It's like ranting about how disgusting criminals are who are currently serving time in jail.

Lol. You haven't seen the videos, have you? The whole point is that those who are asking for money on the street, are the very which who either A) Don't need the money or B) Don't deserve the money. One actual homeless person in the video stated something along the lines of "Why should I have to work five days a week if I don't want to?"

Those who need the money are usually instead actively looking for jobs.

Or c) Are in a position where they can't get the money due to that little thing called the recession? Which has basically killed min. wage employment? That little thing?

Most people don't become homeless because of cyclical business fluctuations, but mostly because of choices such as alcohol and drugs.

Furthermore, those with the human capital to work- assuming they were fired- will likely be searching for jobs, not standing out on the street.

Or mental illness which is pervasive among these people.

Most of these mental illnesses are a result of their substance abuse. Furthermore, anybody who can stand outside and beg is not too mentally defect in the sense that they can't work.

Or I suppose many of them grew up in middle class households and aspired to be a homeless drug addict so he could leach of the hard-earned income of others?

I appreciate your satire but nobody aims to become a drug addict; it happens because of their choices, which they make and sometimes have unanticipated consequences.

http://www.safehorizon.org...

About 16% of homeless are under 5 years old. They didn't get there because of THEM doing drugs.

Of course not. However, their parents did and ultimately, the cost is passed down to the child. Whether this is justified or fair is irrelevant; what's important is that homelessness is usually made through poor life choices (addiction and substance abuse) and exacerbated further through poorer life choices when you are already poor (having a child while homeless).

And their situations will greatly increase their odds of doing drugs and getting hooked because of a lack of understanding until addiction takes hold.

Yup.

Actually, many of them become homeless because they flee abusive (usually physical, but too often sexual) homes (sometimes their own parents and sometimes foster/adoptive). Without an address, they find it difficult to find employment or homes (since appartments will not lease to those under 18).

Go past the mantra that these issues need to be addressed and you realize that a large portion- if not the majority- of homeless people struggle with drugs (https://docs.google.com...). Does this mean that drugs caused them to become homeless? Not necessarily. However, they effectively doomed them to this life with little chance of getting back up.

Also, if you are fleeing an abusive household as a minor, then there are hundreds of organizations that you can turn to.



Getting a job these days is hard enough for college student, never mind a homeless person with a history of substance abuse.

Getting a good, sustainable, and high-paying job? Definitely. Getting a minimum wage job? Pretty easy.

Not really for a homeless person. Here, try this. Don't shave for three weeks, go buy some raggedy clothes from good will, and wear them everyday for those three weeks, never shaving or brushing your teeth. Then go see how easy it is to get a job like that.

There are organizations which help homeless people accomplish just this.

So you acknowledge that many people are born into poverty and addiction and have little chance of upward mobility as a result... Why do I feel like this contradicts a lot of other things you've said?
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:21:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 10:16:08 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 7/16/2012 10:11:14 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 7/16/2012 9:57:57 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

You know, if you execute all the homeless people, there wouldn't be any homeless people and so the problem would technically be solved, lol.

Don't say that around LK. His hatred of homeless people makes me wonder bro.

I don't "hate" homeless people. I just recognize that most of the time it is their fault and they are a useful part of the economic structure- both providing motivation to not become poor and often occupying some very low paying jobs (although that is quite rare in this self-entitled society).

Yeah you're just as bad as the authoritarians, just with a free market spin. You're still seeing people as objects to serve a function which is basically the problem with statism. The only difference is how you see people as being useful.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:23:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Stossel recently did a report on entry-level jobs and internships. he discovered that within a few blocks of a welfare center were about a hundred or so job openings, with everyone in line complaining that there were no jobs. You'd think the government would try to help these people get jobs instead of just handing them welfare checks blindly, but then you'd be thinking of government too highly.
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:25:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Getting a good, sustainable, and high-paying job? Definitely. Getting a minimum wage job? Pretty easy.

Are you talking from experience here? Where are you getting these judgments? You're 16, how much job hunting experience could you have? That's to say nothing about the costs of housing and food. I'd have to look into the economics of it, but the causes go so much deeper than just dealing with numbers.

Most of these mental illnesses are a result of their substance abuse. Furthermore, anybody who can stand outside and beg is not too mentally defect in the sense that they can't work.

Source for the first claim? Your arguments seem to rest on the premise that the homeless could all get jobs if they wanted to. This strikes me as profoundly naive.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:28:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 10:23:44 PM, mongeese wrote:
Stossel recently did a report on entry-level jobs and internships. he discovered that within a few blocks of a welfare center were about a hundred or so job openings, with everyone in line complaining that there were no jobs. You'd think the government would try to help these people get jobs instead of just handing them welfare checks blindly, but then you'd be thinking of government too highly.

I'd like to find that report. Been trying to find myself an entry level job.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:29:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 10:28:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 7/16/2012 10:23:44 PM, mongeese wrote:
Stossel recently did a report on entry-level jobs and internships. he discovered that within a few blocks of a welfare center were about a hundred or so job openings, with everyone in line complaining that there were no jobs. You'd think the government would try to help these people get jobs instead of just handing them welfare checks blindly, but then you'd be thinking of government too highly.

I'd like to find that report. Been trying to find myself an entry level job.

I managed to get one this summer after applying to like 6-7 places. However the most they're letting me work is 10 hrs/week - take that into consideration.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2012 10:30:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/16/2012 10:28:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 7/16/2012 10:23:44 PM, mongeese wrote:
Stossel recently did a report on entry-level jobs and internships. he discovered that within a few blocks of a welfare center were about a hundred or so job openings, with everyone in line complaining that there were no jobs. You'd think the government would try to help these people get jobs instead of just handing them welfare checks blindly, but then you'd be thinking of government too highly.

I'd like to find that report. Been trying to find myself an entry level job.

Do you think if I called Stossel he could help me find a job? I've been searching for almost two months since I graduated HS but I'm having trouble.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.