Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Environmental issues that divide liberals?

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:32:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Any ideology has some level of gradients to them to what they believe and how far they are willing to go. A pro-lifer isn't necessarily bombing abortion clinics.

Liberalism doesn't seem to have a core central philosophy.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:40:31 AM
Whether the State is necessary to protect the environment.....
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:44:16 AM
Liberals as in philosophical liberals or political liberals? Im assuming you mean political.

One issue would be fracking or pipeline development. Environmentalists are against both, but the unions are for both (assuming they get the contracts).
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:45:20 AM
At 7/17/2012 9:40:31 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Only a very small fraction of the population (anarchist) actually believe this.

I also don't get left-wing anarchist who ask for more state control (ex: government paying for higher education, government paying for medicine, housing, welfare redistribution, etc.)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:52:55 AM
At 7/17/2012 9:45:20 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 7/17/2012 9:40:31 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Only a very small fraction of the population (anarchist) actually believe this.

I also don't get left-wing anarchist who ask for more state control (ex: government paying for higher education, government paying for medicine, housing, welfare redistribution, etc.)

Well, I think that the rationale is that they think the community should be providing for those things, but since the state exists, the state should do it. They're operating in the context of a state for those issues.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 9:53:28 AM
At 7/17/2012 9:39:51 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
...we're never gonna find a resolution we disagree on

LOL, I know. This debate tournament theme is idiotic.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 10:07:23 AM
At 7/17/2012 9:44:16 AM, CiRrK wrote:
Liberals as in philosophical liberals or political liberals? Im assuming you mean political.

One issue would be fracking or pipeline development. Environmentalists are against both, but the unions are for both (assuming they get the contracts).

Well, I am considered a liberal, and I support expanded use of natural gas, as long as water is protected.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 10:39:45 AM
At 7/17/2012 8:33:03 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Does anybody know of any environmental issues that divide liberals?

Should we protect the environment; should the state protect the environment; basically any economic issue regarding ecologism; is the environment worth preserving

Essentially any issue. Liberalism is a tenet adopted by basically all by now, to some extent. Republicans are in a large share classical liberals. The Constitution is one of the most classical liberal documents written. Try narrowing it down slightly.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...