Jump to topic:

Obama

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:03:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd be fine with a Muslim president as long as he had a competent understand of economics.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
acvavra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:06:17 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:03:27 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
I'd be fine with a Muslim president as long as he had a competent understand of economics.

Even if that muslim wanted to destroy your country!
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:06:35 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:02:10 AM, acvavra wrote:
I think Obama is a muslim.

No, he is a religion hating atheist, HENCE — the war on religion.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:12:30 AM

No...to this whole sentence.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:12:40 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:06:17 AM, acvavra wrote:

Even if that muslim wanted to destroy your country!

You aren't one of those birthers, are you?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:14:10 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:12:30 AM, 000ike wrote:

Why not? His economic policy was an absolute failure; I'd be fine if he at least implemented Keynesian policies (I'm kind of teetering on my opinion of that), but he didn't. He raised taxes in a freakin' Recession.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:15:55 AM

I love his ads attacking Mitt Romney for outsourcing. Okay...you clearly have no idea how comparative advantage works.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
acvavra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:16:38 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:11:31 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Evidence? Nothing in the video even mildy suggests him being a muslim.
Interesting Quotes:

Asked to define sin, Barack Obama replied that sin is "being out of alignment with my values."

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it."

"And I am running for president, because the dreams of the American People can not be endangered anymore."

"I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal."

"I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of twelve or thirteen, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."

"To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists."

"I learned to slip back and forth between my black and white worlds. One of those tricks I had learned: People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves. They were more than satisfied; they were relieved -- such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn't seem angry all the time."

"I had learned not to care. I blew a few smoke rings, remembering those years. Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it. Not smack, though."

When he's working on Wall Street, he's creeped out by his visiting mother's insistence on seeing her favorite film, the 1959 Brazilian art-house classic "Black Orpheus." He belatedly realizes that his very fair-skinned mother is sexually attracted to dark men. He pompously intones, "The emotions between the races could never be pure; even love was tarnished by the desire to find in the other some element that was missing in ourselves. Whether we sought out our demons or salvation, the other race would always remain just that: menacing, alien, and apart."

"...I've got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."

"I opposed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. It should be repealed and I will vote for its repeal on the Senate floor. I will also oppose any proposal to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban gays and lesbians from marrying."

"If [black] nationalism could create a strong and effective insularity, deliver on its promise of self-respect, then the hurt it might cause well-meaning whites, or the inner turmoil it caused people like me, would be of little consequence."

"I am not in favor of concealed weapons. I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations."

"We're going to reshape America in a way that is less mean-spirited and more generous."

"I can no more disown (Jeremiah Wright) than I can disown the black community."

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person..."

"That's just how white folks will do you."

"We've got to make sure that people who have more money help the people who have less money."

"Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula? I mean, they're charging a lot of money for this stuff."

"We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK. That's not leadership. That's not going to happen."

"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"The one thing that I want to insist on is that, as I travel around the country, the American people are a decent people. Now they get confused sometimes. You know, they listen to the wrong talk radio shows or watch the wrong TV networks, um, but they're, they're basically decent, they're basically sound."

"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under a McCain...administration. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under an Obama administration. So that policy is not going to change."

"If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:18:08 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:15:55 AM, darkkermit wrote:

I love his ads attacking Mitt Romney for outsourcing. Okay...you clearly have no idea how comparative advantage works.

This. It is not going to matter much to most people. Obama should focus on what he will do next term, primarily among these lines:

"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:20:54 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:14:10 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Why not? His economic policy was an absolute failure; I'd be fine if he at least implemented Keynesian policies (I'm kind of teetering on my opinion of that), but he didn't. He raised taxes in a freakin' Recession.

He did focus on a large stimulus plan, although it only filled about 1/3rd of the blow the recession/depression had.

Obama I think should try to get the GOP to pass the infrastructure bank, put lots of gov't money towards infrastructure, pass immigration reform to allow more educated workers to come to the US, and implement later in his term tax reform and get serious about deficits when the economy is growing again. But this will probably be several years and will require a Congress that is more willing to work.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:20:57 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:18:08 AM, Contra wrote:

This. It is not going to matter much to most people. Obama should focus on what he will do next term, primarily among these lines:

Surprised you agree with me with that.

Yes, obama's ad on outsourcing actually are pretty effective. Most people are economically illiterate so see outsourcing as a major cause of unemployment. Even though outsourcing has occurred way before the US recession and unemployment was lower back then.
Open borders debate:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:22:48 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:20:57 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Yes, obama's ad on outsourcing actually are pretty effective. Most people are economically illiterate so see outsourcing as a major cause of unemployment. Even though outsourcing has occurred way before the US recession and unemployment was lower back then.

Yea. Although in my home state outsourcing actually has had some severe blows to our economy, this is true.

acvavra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:22:57 AM

I think Obama will win the election people are so stupid.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:27:04 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:22:48 AM, Contra wrote:

Yea. Although in my home state outsourcing actually has had some severe blows to our economy, this is true.

its the seen vs. unseen with outsourcing. Its easy to see the harms that outsourcing causes, but more difficult to see the benefits of outsourcing.
Open borders debate:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:35:14 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:20:54 AM, Contra wrote:

He did focus on a large stimulus plan, although it only filled about 1/3rd of the blow the recession/depression had.

I don't support active fiscal policy for the remedy of the business cycle, as it takes too long. Automatic stabilizers should do enough to decrease the wide fluctuations.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:37:37 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:35:14 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

I don't support active fiscal policy for the remedy of the business cycle, as it takes too long. Automatic stabilizers should do enough to decrease the wide fluctuations.

Since when have you become the economically literate on business cycles?

This is actually a good point you brought up which Lee Doren discussed. There's no such thing as a shovel ready project. If the government wants to increase employment through projects in construction it can take years to develop the projects. By that time the recession can be nearing its end.
Open borders debate:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:50:27 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:27:04 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 7/17/2012 11:22:48 AM, Contra wrote:

its the seen vs. unseen with outsourcing. Its easy to see the harms that outsourcing causes, but more difficult to see the benefits of outsourcing.

People have yes saved money on cars, and many more lithium batteries are produced in my state, but overall areas like Flint, Detroit, and parts of Lansing are destroyed and depressing.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:50:39 AM

Such as?

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:53:42 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:50:39 AM, Contra wrote:

Such as?

Come to think of it, I would probably cut down on a lot of them but they include programs such as Unemployment Insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, and progressive taxation.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:56:25 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:53:42 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Such as?

Come to think of it, I would probably cut down on a lot of them but they include programs such as Unemployment Insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, and progressive taxation.

These things reduce the size of the fluctuations.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 11:57:02 AM
At 7/17/2012 11:56:25 AM, Contra wrote:
At 7/17/2012 11:53:42 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Such as?

These things reduce the size of the fluctuations.

That's why they are called "stabilizers."
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 12:02:11 PM

This is such a dumb argument. It doesn't prove that he personally doesn't know about comparative advantage for several reasons:

1. Obama did not personally write the ads. Other people did.

2. The ads are targeted at people who don't understand economics (i.e. the masses). Why would he appeal to economic principles when he knows that the masses dislike outsourcing?

It appears to me that you don't understand politics.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 12:33:50 PM
At 7/17/2012 12:02:11 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

This is such a dumb argument. It doesn't prove that he personally doesn't know about comparative advantage for several reasons:

2. The ads are targeted at people who don't understand economics (i.e. the masses). Why would he appeal to economic principles when he knows that the masses dislike outsourcing?

Okay, I apologize. Either Barack Obama doesn't understand economics or he's promoting economical policy he knows is bad in order to win an election.
Open borders debate:
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 3:46:45 PM
1. Highly unlikely
2. What is wrong with being a muslim?
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:27:24 PM

So the goal is to get all the dumb people to vote for Obama? Well that's kinda smart their are more dumb people then thinkers.
Me
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:28:55 PM
Although Obama is a really BAD President, I highly doubt that he is a Muslim.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
1dustpelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2012 4:36:23 PM
At 7/19/2012 4:27:24 PM, yoda878 wrote:

So the goal is to get all the dumb people to vote for Obama? Well that's kinda smart their are more dumb people then thinkers.

That is true.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.