Jump to topic:

I still have hope...

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 12:51:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
...that enough Americans are smart enough to look past race, and look past talking points, to see that Obama hasn't saved America.

...that people will start to see the hypocrisy in some of Obama's attacks on Romney, where Obama has done the same thing that Romney has done/suggested.

...that we will finally be able to have a competitive environment for corporations.

...that Obama won't be re-elected.

But, if my tiny bit of hope that is left ends up being dashed later this year... well... I've always wanted to visit Sweden.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 12:54:58 AM
At 7/20/2012 12:51:40 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
...that enough Americans are smart enough to look past race, and look past talking points, to see that Obama hasn't saved America.

...that people will start to see the hypocrisy in some of Obama's attacks on Romney, where Obama has done the same thing that Romney has done/suggested.

...that we will finally be able to have a competitive environment for corporations.

But, if my tiny bit of hope that is left ends up being dashed later this year... well... I've always wanted to visit Sweden.

really sweden!!! You want to live in the feminazi land of sweden where a political group seriously runs on the issue of making it illegal for man to stand up while peeing.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 1:05:06 AM
At 7/20/2012 12:54:58 AM, darkkermit wrote:

really sweden!!! You want to live in the feminazi land of sweden where a political group seriously runs on the issue of making it illegal for man to stand up while peeing.

My wife's family lives in Sweden. I would love to go see Ikea in its element, I want to watch a Volvo crash-test from beneath their glass floor. I want to capture the whole country on camera, and see the Northern Lights.

I really don't know enough about the lifestyle and political issues, but I still want to visit :D

I'm going to win the Powerball someday, then spend a couple years travelling until I decide where I want to live.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 1:12:20 AM
At 7/20/2012 1:05:06 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

My wife's family lives in Sweden. I would love to go see Ikea in its element, I want to watch a Volvo crash-test from beneath their glass floor. I want to capture the whole country on camera, and see the Northern Lights.

I really don't know enough about the lifestyle and political issues, but I still want to visit :D

I'm going to win the Powerball someday, then spend a couple years travelling until I decide where I want to live.

Ca-Ca-Ca-Canada!
Just stay away from Florida.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 1:18:23 AM
At 7/20/2012 1:12:20 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 7/20/2012 1:05:06 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Ca-Ca-Ca-Canada!
Just stay away from Florida.

No, eh.

I personally want to travel, basically, everywhere. My wife is more selective though, Canada isn't on her short list.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 1:28:17 AM
At 7/20/2012 1:21:16 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Sweden's ranked #5 in the Quality of Life Index (US is 13), so it looks like you've got a good plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Cool... except for the fact that 13 is my lucky number...

Hmmm :/
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 1:45:27 AM

So you have hope that things will change... not at all. I have no hope that people will begin to look past political parties and wake up to the false dichotomy that is the U.S. party-system.

That being said, Sweden does sound nice, along with the rest of Scandinavia. How did Ireland top the list I wonder?
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 1:52:58 AM
At 7/20/2012 1:45:27 AM, mark.marrocco wrote:
So you have hope that things will change... not at all. I have no hope that people will begin to look past political parties and wake up to the false dichotomy that is the U.S. party-system.

That being said, Sweden does sound nice, along with the rest of Scandinavia. How did Ireland top the list I wonder?

Leprechauns sonny, leprechauns.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 2:24:01 AM

Switzerland or Liechtenstein would be much better.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 3:11:56 AM
Careful, if you criticize Obama be sure to criticize his Republican predecessor in the same breadth or Imabench will accuse you of being a GOP pawn.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 4:39:05 AM
GOP pawn.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 7:12:06 AM
I dunno, Obama's not ideal, but Romney, man... I just lose all respect for Republican candidates (eg: McCain, Romney) when they volte-face on important issues in order to attain the nomination. The uncompromising sort tend to be from the immoderate, divisive wings of the party. It's like, just be yourself man, don't be that inconsistent guy that says, "Look at all my relevant experience, I'd be a great President! By the by, how I hate much of what I've stood for."
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 8:46:25 AM

This is common sense, I mean look at Elephant Watcher.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 9:04:38 AM

Yeah, and I sincerely hope the opposite of all of that. Is there a point to this thread?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 9:08:57 AM
At 7/20/2012 9:04:38 AM, 000ike wrote:

Yeah, and I sincerely hope the opposite of all of that. Is there a point to this thread?

Oh, gee Ike. I didn't realize people aren't allowed to voice their opinions here! I'm sure glad the opinionazi showed up!

Why don't you want America to have a competitive environment for corporations?

Why don't you want people to notice the hypocrisy of Obama's attacks on Bain?

Why do you think Obama has done such a good job, when we have double-digit unemployed Americans?

Why do you think it's ok for Obama and Biden to attack Romney for having suggested that Detroit go through managed bankruptcy, when that's exactly what they did?
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 9:10:28 AM
At 7/20/2012 3:11:56 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Careful, if you criticize Obama be sure to criticize his Republican predecessor in the same breadth or Imabench will accuse you of being a GOP pawn.

Yeah, I love that. You can't dislike Obama's policies without worshiping at Bush's feet.
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 10:07:09 AM
At 7/20/2012 9:08:57 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 7/20/2012 9:04:38 AM, 000ike wrote:

Oh, gee Ike. I didn't realize people aren't allowed to voice their opinions here! I'm sure glad the opinionazi showed up!

Why don't you want America to have a competitive environment for corporations?

Why don't you want people to notice the hypocrisy of Obama's attacks on Bain?

Why do you think Obama has done such a good job, when we have double-digit unemployed Americans?

Because America is not going to have a competitive environment for small(er) corporations anytime soon, regardless of which party is elected.

Because they can't tell, because all politicians are hypocrites, and Mitt has criticized Obamacare before it even happened, which is the exact same type of hypocrisy.

And because the economy fell apart when Bush, a Republican, was in office and has done nothing to improve since Obama (in real life, not Govt.-approved statistics), a Democrat, has been in office, and will still continue to suck when the next Republican gets elected. Or Democrat.

I'll even debate this if I have to, but the Democratc-Republican split in U.S. politics is a False Dilemma: the presentation of two options so similar as to be for all practical purposes the same, when in reality different options exist, but are not given to you as a choice.

Video may be slightly offensive, sorry that was just the way he rolled, but what he says is true. Two sides of the same coin my friend.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 10:14:57 AM
At 7/20/2012 10:07:09 AM, mark.marrocco wrote:
Because America is not going to have a competitive environment for small(er) corporations anytime soon, regardless of which party is elected.

What do you think it would take to be competitive. For one, I think we should stop double-taxing self-employed individuals for payroll purposes.

Because they can't tell, because all politicians are hypocrites, and Mitt has criticized Obamacare before it even happened, which is the exact same type of hypocrisy.

Yeah, pretty much. I have no problem with a state having a mandate, but let's keep competition in the mix, instead of putting all our eggs in one basket.

And because the economy fell apart when Bush, a Republican, was in office and has done nothing to improve since Obama (in real life, not Govt.-approved statistics), a Democrat, has been in office, and will still continue to suck when the next Republican gets elected. Or Democrat.

Bush wasn't fiscally conservative. I do still hope to see responsible politicians at some point who take control of our budget(not like Clinton, by pretending to balance the budget by borrowing from the government to cover government deficit).

I'll even debate this if I have to, but the Democratc-Republican split in U.S. politics is a False Dilemma: the presentation of two options so similar as to be for all practical purposes the same, when in reality different options exist, but are not given to you as a choice.

I think the party split is most hurtful, not because it provides two similar options, but it prevents the simultaneous implementation of good ideas from both sides. We usually end up getting the worst of both sides, which is why it never seems to work out no matter who is in office.
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 10:44:48 AM
At 7/20/2012 10:14:57 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 7/20/2012 10:07:09 AM, mark.marrocco wrote:

What do you think it would take to be competitive. For one, I think we should stop double-taxing self-employed individuals for payroll purposes.

Yeah, pretty much. I have no problem with a state having a mandate, but let's keep competition in the mix, instead of putting all our eggs in one basket.

Bush wasn't fiscally conservative. I do still hope to see responsible politicians at some point who take control of our budget(not like Clinton, by pretending to balance the budget by borrowing from the government to cover government deficit).

I think the party split is most hurtful, not because it provides two similar options, but it prevents the simultaneous implementation of good ideas from both sides. We usually end up getting the worst of both sides, which is why it never seems to work out no matter who is in office.

As for "responsible" politicians, that is a dream. U.S. politicians aren't responsible to the people whatsoever. We get one say every four years between two candidates that are both responsible for the same interests. They're not similar, they are the same. The issues themselves are pointless, especially the ones that candidates focus on. They overemphasize unimportant social issues (or somewhat less, oversimplified aspects of economic and foreign policy) that any rational person would have had a solution to by now, while ignoring the actual problems completely.

While I agree that collaboration between different-minded people would be more effective than competition at solving policy issues, your conclusion is incorrect.
Us getting "the worst of both sides" is not the reason nothing works. Nothing works because neither side wants it to work for us, they only want it to work for them, and especially for their special interests. Even most of the disagreement is either just a smoke-and-mirror show to make us think that they're actually thinking and deliberating about the best course of action (Ha!), or it's a projection of internal conflicts between their own specific interests.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 12:00:31 AM
At 7/20/2012 9:10:28 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 7/20/2012 3:11:56 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Yeah, I love that. You can't dislike Obama's policies without worshiping at Bush's feet.

Apparently I conversate with people who deny the left-right dichotomy so much I forgot people who think this way still exist.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 8:30:21 PM

The audacity!