On Marrying Argumentative Feminists

dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 8:03:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Why Men Aren't That Eager To Marry Argumentative Feminists"

Maureen Dowd is a columnist for the New York Times. I was not familiar with her. Then I read that she had complained that men did not want to date intelligent women. The author alleged that Dowd's complaint was a personal complaint. Skeptical and curious, I decided to check her out and read some of her columns. Thereafter, I found these observations interesting:

"Dowd's columns are distinguished by an acerbic, often polemical writing style.[10] Her columns often display a critical and irreverent attitude towards powerful figures such as former President George W. Bush, former President Bill Clinton, and Pope Benedict XVI.[citation needed] Dowd sometimes refers to Bush as "W.", and former Vice President Dick Cheney as "Big Time."[11] She has called President George H. W. Bush, whom she covered as Times White House Correspondent, "41";[12][unreliable source?] she also frequently refers to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as "I'm-a-Dinner-Jacket." (Emphasis added)

"Wall Street Journal said: "And then we're off down the rabbit hole, twisting and turning from subject to subject as the author wonders why Americans prefer their news anchors tall, white and male, why men aren't that eager to marry argumentative feminists, and why herds of women now inject themselves with skin-plumping bovine collagen. These are all good questions. It's a pity that Ms. Dowd never stops scrabbling long enough to answer them."[8]" (Emphasis added)

"Film critic David Denby devotes an entire chapter to Dowd in his 2009 book Snark, and identifies her as one of the foremost practitioners of "snark" (sarcasm, snide remarks). He writes: "[S]he has not - as far as I can tell - a single political idea in her head. Not one...She writes as if personality, appearance, and attitude were the only things that mattered. For her, politics is a stupid, despair-inducing entertainment, a tale told by an idiot signifying vanity. Despite all her larks and inventions, she's essentially sour and without hope."[26] " Emphasis added)
http://en.wikipedia.org...
http://en.wikipedia.org... ... es_Collide

Dowd remains unmarried. And at age 57, she has lost her bloom. Why is she "essentially sour and without hope" (David Denby, supra)? Is it because men find her too intelligent? I certainly doubt that claim. Then it hit me. The answer was in Proverbs! Men avoided Dowd, not because of her intelligence, but because she is a bitter woman!

Men remember the wisdom of Proverbs 21:19:

"It is better to be living in a waste land, than with a bitter-tongued and angry woman." http://bible.cc...

Dowd does not!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 8:26:44 PM
I fail to see the point in this thread.

Are you saying that argumentative feminists, women with independence and ideas, are very difficult in marriage or relationships? Is this an article against feminists in general, or just Ms. Dowd? What is the point to this? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm seriously just asking.
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 8:44:39 PM
I don't think this is a fair assessment of Ms. Dowd. I have some problems with some of her work, but the wiki article you quoted is not very good. She is polemic, but she is not near Ann Coulter's level, who is not a feminist and can't seem to get married either.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 8:55:20 PM
I have to concur with sherlockmethod. Just because Ms. Dowd is an "argumentative feminist" doesn't mean that is the reason she is not married; maybe she just does not want to be attached to tied down, or maybe she has some personality aspects about her that are unpleasant, because God knows Coulter seems to be very unpleasant, and not just through her opinions - a friend of mine has met her a couple times, and both times she was a b*tch.

Maybe it isn't the ideologies, maybe it is just the person.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 9:06:47 PM
. . .or maybe it's a combination of several bad features, including the ideology.

Heaven forbid Maureen Dowd is actually an unpleasant person who won't likely find requited love. Not many will lose sleep over this.

Whether it's Dowd or Coulter (for you huffing-and-puffing leftists), or any "argumentative feminist"---perhaps men would rather read their columns silently, in their own voices, rather than hear these polemicists argue during the private hours of the day, when it cannot be turned off just by turning a page.

Who wants to have and hold you-know-what-envy like theirs till death?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 9:12:46 PM
At 8/30/2009 9:06:47 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:

I probably wouldn't mind. I prefer someone with some semblance of independence and intelligence, as opposed to someone who is submissive and clueless.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 9:16:07 PM
At 8/30/2009 9:12:46 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/30/2009 9:06:47 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:

I probably wouldn't mind. I prefer someone with some semblance of independence and intelligence, as opposed to someone who is submissive and clueless.

Ehh.. I couldn't imagine living with someone like Coulter or Dowd. Obviously, educated over clueless though.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 9:25:27 PM
At 8/30/2009 9:12:46 PM, Volkov wrote:

Volkov, I'm making that "crack the whip" sound while pointing at you.

A woman can be intelligent without being a...

...an argumentative feminist.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 9:38:16 PM
At 8/30/2009 9:25:27 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Volkov, I'm making that "crack the whip" sound while pointing at you.

Not into that sort of thing, sorry.

A woman can be intelligent without being a...

...an argumentative feminist.

Did I say they couldn't be?
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 7:17:25 PM
At 8/30/2009 9:38:16 PM, Volkov wrote:

Not into that sort of thing, sorry.

Right, I'm not a domineering woman. ;-)

Did I say they couldn't be?

Did I say you did? Submissive and clueless aren't always in tandem, nor are they the only alternatives to independent and intelligent. Brilliant women can be submissive.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2009 7:44:48 PM
At 8/31/2009 7:17:25 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:

I have my doubts.

Did I say you did? Submissive and clueless aren't always in tandem, nor are they the only alternatives to independent and intelligent. Brilliant women can be submissive.

It wasn't necessarily in tandem; it was two aspects of a woman than I would prefer. So sure, an intelligent woman could be submissive, but I wouldn't like that.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2009 6:25:30 PM
At 8/31/2009 7:44:48 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 8/31/2009 7:17:25 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:

I have my doubts.

Ha ha. :)

It wasn't necessarily in tandem; it was two aspects of a woman than I would prefer. So sure, an intelligent woman could be submissive, but I wouldn't like that.

Fair enough.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 8:58:10 AM
I would hate to live with an argumentative feminists.

OP:
Are you in that sort of situation?

If so, I recommend just saying "Yes, dear" despite your personal beliefs. Arguing won't convince her and she'll always bring it up.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 9:08:21 AM
At 9/2/2009 8:58:10 AM, wjmelements wrote:
I would hate to live with an argumentative feminists.

Same.

OP:
Are you in that sort of situation?

If so, I recommend just saying "Yes, dear" despite your personal beliefs. Arguing won't convince her and she'll always bring it up.

Winner!!! That is exactly what you do when a girl/woman argues. Just automatically concede and say they're right. Everyone's happy.
dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 6:45:15 PM
Here is an addition to the preceding post on that forum:

"I liked the Greek prime minister Andreas Papandreou, not because he was a professor of economics at the University of Minnesota, but because during his twilight years he preferred his third wife, Dimitra Liani, to his second wife, Margaret.

Margaret was a ardent feminist. She started a feminist magazine that was similar to the American feminist bible, MS magazine.

Dimitra was a leggy blond stewardess!

Being in my twilight years, I can't think of anything worse than living with a bitter feminist. I can't think of anything better than living with a brainless leggy blond!
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Margaret:
"In 1981, he was elected Prime Minister and Margaret became the first lady of Greece. In that capacity she sought to reform much of the social and political life of the average Greek woman which brought her praise from some quarters and stinging criticism from others."

"Margaret Papandreou's days as the first lady of Greece came to an abrupt halt when her husband met Olympic Airlines stewardess, Dimitra Liani in 1989. The aged PM divorced Margaret to make the young stewardess his third wife."
http://wiki.phantis.com...

Dimitra Liani:
http://www.bing.com... ... QBIR&qs=n#
http://wiki.phantis.com... "
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 7:34:53 PM
Most of my girlfriends have been argumentative feminists and I definitely recommend it. You can always count on intelligent conversation, hilarious sarcasm, and of course there's nothing like angry...debating.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 7:41:23 PM
At 9/2/2009 7:34:53 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Most of my girlfriends have been argumentative feminists and I definitely recommend it. You can always count on intelligent conversation, hilarious sarcasm, and of course there's nothing like angry...debating.

Angry debating is always the best.

And I echo Nags' sentiment.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 7:49:49 PM
At 9/2/2009 7:41:23 PM, Volkov wrote:

Angry debating is always the best.

I can't stand angry debating. My liberal friend always does though. He points and yells and practically gets in my face. He s*cks at debating though. For example, the other week he flipped out about Michael Vick getting released from jail. I defended Vick and argued animals don't have rights. He didn't have any rebuttals and just yelled random stuff. He mostly uses appeal to emotion arguments which fail epicly.

Not to be self-loving, but I haven't debated with someone who can beat me. My history teacher (neo-con) last year was the best so far. But, the my classmates were quite amazed at my debating skills as was my teacher. That's why I came to DDO, for some intellectual competiveness. Hopefully there will be better arguers in college.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 8:00:02 PM
At 9/2/2009 7:49:49 PM, Nags wrote:
I can't stand angry debating. My liberal friend always does though. He points and yells and practically gets in my face. He s*cks at debating though. For example, the other week he flipped out about Michael Vick getting released from jail. I defended Vick and argued animals don't have rights. He didn't have any rebuttals and just yelled random stuff. He mostly uses appeal to emotion arguments which fail epicly.

Angry debating is always the most passionate though! Angry debating you can get the most satisfaction out of. Angry debating makes you feel good.

.... I seriously hope you were just ignoring the innuendo.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 8:05:29 PM
At 9/2/2009 8:00:02 PM, Volkov wrote:
.... I seriously hope you were just ignoring the innuendo.

I don't understand...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 8:08:23 PM
At 9/2/2009 8:05:29 PM, Nags wrote:
I don't understand...

You didn't see Maikuru's post before mine?

That is what I was referring to. You get it, right?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 8:10:41 PM
At 9/2/2009 8:08:23 PM, Volkov wrote:

That is what I was referring to. You get it, right?

Wow. That flew right over my head at first. I didn't get it until you pointed it out.

*embarassed*
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 8:12:14 PM
At 9/2/2009 8:10:41 PM, Nags wrote:
Wow. That flew right over my head at first. I didn't get it until you pointed it out.

*embarassed*

Don't worry about it, it was still an interesting post anyways. XD
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 8:41:34 PM

Well done, Sir. <ouch>, groan. My lovely wife said this is not a good topic for me to post in and I should simply remind people that angry ... debating is private debating and ... she left the room; as I said - well done!
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 6:13:08 PM
At 9/2/2009 8:41:34 PM, sherlockmethod wrote:

Well done, Sir. <ouch>, groan. My lovely wife said this is not a good topic for me to post in and I should simply remind people that angry ... debating is private debating and ... she left the room; as I said - well done!

Sherlockmethod reminds us of an important lessen. While the benefits of these women are many (and how!), they come at a terrible price...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 6:16:49 PM
Most people in my experience can't appreciate the value of an arguing and see it more as an attack of an attack on them than anything else.