Jump to topic:

Romney's VP

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:19:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Who do you want to see Romney pick as his VP? Personally, I think that if Romney does not pick a good VP (i.e., Rick Perry or Tim Pawlenty) he is going to lose in a landslide; or if he picks someone good like Marco Rubio, he can easily win.

I like Marco Rubio. I hope that Romney chooses him. If he picks Rubio, he is going to pick up the Hispanic votes (a huge plus) and the Floridan votes making it tougher for Obama.
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:22:45 PM
Condoleeza Rice.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:46:10 PM
At 7/22/2012 7:19:52 PM, Microsuck wrote:
Who do you want to see Romney pick as his VP? Personally, I think that if Romney does not pick a good VP (i.e., Rick Perry or Tim Pawlenty) he is going to lose in a landslide; or if he picks someone good like Marco Rubio, he can easily win.

I like Marco Rubio. I hope that Romney chooses him. If he picks Rubio, he is going to pick up the Hispanic votes (a huge plus) and the Floridan votes making it tougher for Obama.

Floridians usually aren't smart enough to even know who Marco Rubio is...

I think that he should pick Santorum.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:48:39 PM
I want him to pick Jindal.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:55:24 PM
At 7/22/2012 7:22:45 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Condoleeza Rice.

I don't think this will happen, but it's what I'm rooting for.
Debate.org Moderator
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 7:55:41 PM
For the love of God, please choose Michele Bachmann! ...And for the love of this country please don't choose Governor Christie.

With Bachmann Romney will lose without any question. With Christie he'll win without any question. Afterall, it was McCain's choice that sealed it for him.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 8:10:10 PM
At 7/22/2012 7:55:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
For the love of God, please choose Michele Bachmann! ...And for the love of this country please don't choose Governor Christie.

With Bachmann Romney will lose without any question. With Christie he'll win without any question. Afterall, it was McCain's choice that sealed it for him.

I cannot begin to describe how angry this post makes me.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 8:11:43 PM

I lol'd at the choice of words.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 8:37:24 PM
At 7/22/2012 8:10:10 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I cannot begin to describe how angry this post makes me.

You've explained before,...to be completely honesty with you, I don't think you have a point. Practicality supersedes principle in our overall lives. Democracy is half principle, and half game of logic. Hoping for a candidate to slip so yours wins or voting for someone else to avoid a certain person getting a elected is part of what we do to better our own lives. You should probably get over it.

That does it for practicality. Whatever moral argument you have falls on deaf ears.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:21:48 PM

Michelle Bachmann would be great. I enjoy seeing Governor Chrisities' rants occasionally on the Internet or news, he is who I am rooting for to see, if Bachmann isn't his choice.

Jindal I believe would look inexperienced, and would make it easier for Obama in my opinion.

I know nothing about Portman, never heard anything besides he is a Ohio Senator and worked for Bush in many critical ways, making that likely toxic.

T Paw, I don't know. He looks like I could trust him, but his initial tax plan was a huge, and I mean huge tax cut package for the uber wealthy. I kid you not.

Romney seems similar to Kerry from 2004 in my opinion too, I don't think he is going to win, and I hope to god not.

000ike, why don't you want Christie put as the VP?
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:23:49 PM
Boy I hope he picks Condi. Obama would take him down in a landslide.

Condi represents Bush Jr. foreign policy and basically every bad thing Romney doesn't want to associate himself with as it applies to Bush. She's completely politically tainted, and the fact that she is black will backfire with the african american community.

Rubio would be Romney's best bet IF Romney can get a new angle on Obama which will sufficiently fire up conservatives that are not so warm to Rubio.

Romney has two viable campaign options:

1. Mobilize those who support him already.
2. Swing those who haven't decided

Rice helps goal 1 at the detriment of goal 2. Rubio helps 2 to the detriment of 1. Someone like Pawlenty would probably only effect 1 and not effect 2.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:24:52 PM
Alan Keyes
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 9:27:48 PM
At 7/22/2012 9:23:49 PM, Wnope wrote:

Condi represents Bush Jr. foreign policy and basically every bad thing Romney doesn't want to associate himself with as it applies to Bush. She's completely politically tainted, and the fact that she is black will backfire with the african american community.

Rubio would be Romney's best bet IF Romney can get a new angle on Obama which will sufficiently fire up conservatives that are not so warm to Rubio.

Rice helps goal 1 at the detriment of goal 2. Rubio helps 2 to the detriment of 1. Someone like Pawlenty would probably only effect 1 and not effect 2.

Rice was probably the smartest person in the Bush Administration though, you gotta admit.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:18:16 PM
At 7/22/2012 7:19:52 PM, Microsuck wrote:

The Condi rumors were a distraction, but also to test her popularity with the American people. I would be very surprised if Romney didn't ask her to be his secretary of state.

It won't be Rubio because the democrats will make the same deal of his citizenship that the republicans did to Kerry in 04. Besides, he brings Florida, but it will be unlikely that Florida will be too up in the air this election.

My guess is Paul Ryan or Mitch Daniels. Both are savvy with the tea party and both are palatable beyond that niche.

It won't be Bachman because she is an opportunist and bat sh!t crazy. The Romney people don't like to take risks, but rather stick with safe bets. Bachman is a wild card.

Oh, and Santorum's political career is over. He's a truculent and short tempered narcissist who poisoned himself against the establishment GOP (who, might I add, will always come out on top).

Ultimately, both Bachman and Santorum are unpalatable for the same reason.

The principle reason though that I think Paul Ryan is the most likely is because of his congressional connections. In order for the Romney administration to distinguish itself from the Obama administration (and actually accomplish things the American people think they want), Romney is going to have to have an ambitious legislative agenda. Ryan is most conducive to facilitate that end, and he is generally well liked in both the GOP and by the Tea Party. In that sense, he's the total package (being extreemley socially conservative and economically well versed helps too).

But who would I like to see? I would like to see David Petraeus as Romney's VP, but in reality he is better serving the military/intelligence needs of the United States.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:21:36 PM
At 7/22/2012 9:21:48 PM, Contra wrote:

Michelle Bachmann would be great. I enjoy seeing Governor Chrisities' rants occasionally on the Internet or news, he is who I am rooting for to see, if Bachmann isn't his choice.

Jindal I believe would look inexperienced, and would make it easier for Obama in my opinion.

I know nothing about Portman, never heard anything besides he is a Ohio Senator and worked for Bush in many critical ways, making that likely toxic.

T Paw, I don't know. He looks like I could trust him, but his initial tax plan was a huge, and I mean huge tax cut package for the uber wealthy. I kid you not.

Romney seems similar to Kerry from 2004 in my opinion too, I don't think he is going to win, and I hope to god not.

Because Chris Christie is what the Republican party needs. He has a pretty good record here in New Jersey and he says things that others would be afraid to say...very plainly. If he's put on that ticket, Mitt Romney will definitely win.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:42:12 PM

Inexperienced? He has one of the most impressive records a governor could hope for, and though he's young he's been highly successful. He was in a position of great power by age 25 in charge of much of lousianas healthcare
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:45:45 PM
At 7/22/2012 10:21:36 PM, 000ike wrote:

Because Chris Christie is what the Republican party needs. He has a pretty good record here in New Jersey and he says things that others would be afraid to say...very plainly. If he's put on that ticket, Mitt Romney will definitely win.

Christie doesn't bring to the table what Paul Ryan does, and his political career isn't mature enough to take a position on the GOP ticket like that. (Palin was an awful fluke, btw.) I look for Christie to run for president in 2020 though.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:47:12 PM
At 7/22/2012 10:42:12 PM, thett3 wrote:

Inexperienced? He has one of the most impressive records a governor could hope for, and though he's young he's been highly successful. He was in a position of great power by age 25 in charge of much of lousianas healthcare

Jindal has done much for Louisiana. He successfully managed both Katrina and the BP Oil Spill. He's got a lot of potential, but he can't do anything for the national legislature.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:48:07 PM
At 7/22/2012 9:27:48 PM, Contra wrote:

Rice was probably the smartest person in the Bush Administration though, you gotta admit.

Rice and Cheney are tied in terms of who is the more prominent intellectual heavyweight.
Tsar of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:49:12 PM
At 7/22/2012 10:48:07 PM, YYW wrote:

Rice and Cheney are tied in terms of who is the more prominent intellectual heavyweight.

Why do you ignore Alan Keyes?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:54:03 PM
At 7/22/2012 10:45:45 PM, YYW wrote:

Christie doesn't bring to the table what Paul Ryan does, and his political career isn't mature enough to take a position on the GOP ticket like that. (Palin was an awful fluke, btw.) I look for Christie to run for president in 2020 though.

Politically, Ryan got a pretty big stink on him with the whole medicare restructuring. It would be a way for Obama to appeal to seniors as well as appearing to side with those Catholics who protest Ryan's proposal.

Personally, I like Ryan's tenancity and willingness to champion controversial, largely self-made legislation. I am definitely not a fan of many of his positions, however.
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:57:26 PM
If Romney picks Ryan, he loses a large part of the senior vote.
IF that happens, he loses Florida. If he loses Florida, Obama wins by a huge margin.
Sapere Aude!
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 10:58:40 PM

She could be Einstein's grand-daughter, she's still too prominently associated with Iraq. If Obama makes the election about foreign policy, not the economy, he'll win for sure. Rice gives him that opening.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:06:29 PM
At 7/22/2012 10:57:26 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
If Romney picks Ryan, he loses a large part of the senior vote.
IF that happens, he loses Florida. If he loses Florida, Obama wins by a huge margin.

I would love to hear why you think that Romney picking Ryan looses him the "senior" vote.

That is just amusing.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:07:05 PM
At 7/22/2012 10:49:12 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:48:07 PM, YYW wrote:

Why do you ignore Alan Keyes?

Ok, 16k, he's pretty smart too.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:09:35 PM
At 7/22/2012 10:54:03 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 7/22/2012 10:45:45 PM, YYW wrote:

Politically, Ryan got a pretty big stink on him with the whole medicare restructuring. It would be a way for Obama to appeal to seniors as well as appearing to side with those Catholics who protest Ryan's proposal.

Personally, I like Ryan's tenancity and willingness to champion controversial, largely self-made legislation. I am definitely not a fan of many of his positions, however.

The Obama camp can try to go after Ryan on medicare, and if they do, he just has to say one phrase: death panels (or really just imply it).

I'm not saying that's a valid argument, only that it will resonate stronger then anything the democrats can throw out on Ryan.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 11:12:26 PM
At 7/22/2012 10:58:40 PM, Wnope wrote:
If Obama makes the election about foreign policy, not the economy, he'll win for sure. Rice gives him that opening.

Lol, maybe if the sole constituency of the administration were adolescent boys on DDO. I'll admit I love Obama's FP, but the American people don't care about FP more then they care about their bank accounts and employment prospects. Just as when Slick Willie said it, "it's the economy, stupid."
Tsar of DDO