Jump to topic:

Why doesn't the government care about me? :'(

carpediem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 6:10:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Alarmed by the unhealthy choices they make every day, more and more Americans are calling on the government to enact legislation that will protect them from their own behavior.

"The government is finally starting to take some responsibility for the effect my behavior has on others," said New York City resident Alec Haverchuk, 44, who is prohibited by law from smoking in restaurants and bars. "But we have a long way to go. I can still light up on city streets and in the privacy of my own home. I mean, legislators acknowledge that my cigarette smoke could give others cancer, but don't they care about me, too?"

"It's not just about Americans eating too many fries or cracking their skulls open when they fall off their bicycles," said Los Angeles resident Rebecca Burnie, 26. "It's a financial issue, too. I spend all my money on trendy clothes and a nightlife that I can't afford. I'm $23,000 in debt, but the credit-card companies keep letting me spend. It's obscene that the government allows those companies to allow me to do this to myself. Why do I pay my taxes?"

http://www.theonion.com...
"I would die at the stake rather than change a semi-colon!"
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 6:48:58 PM
because the government is made of people, who need protection from the government as well! Who'll look after them?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 7:15:01 PM
At 7/24/2012 6:48:58 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
because the government is made of people, who need protection from the government as well! Who'll look after them?

He cited the onion, meaning this post was likely not serious.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 7:20:33 PM
At 7/24/2012 7:15:01 PM, 16kadams wrote:

http://25.media.tumblr.com...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 8:10:38 PM

But the govt is clearly "dead serous" It's a joke now but it will be reality in a matter of years. What ever man can conceive to regulate himself out of existence he can and will achieve. Man has already classified itself as less important than an animal or a plant.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 1:29:20 AM

Who will watch the Watchmen? roflmao
Tsar of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 1:33:10 AM
At 7/25/2012 1:29:20 AM, YYW wrote:

Nerds, and people who can't understand that the blue guy gained nothing by killing that guy that could catch bullets, but also would lose nothing by killing him.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 1:34:55 AM

*facepalm*
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 1:38:20 AM
At 7/25/2012 1:34:55 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

*facepalm*

You're right, that should be corrected. It should read, "because the government is made of lizard people..."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
carpediem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 1:50:54 PM

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (JUVENAL)
But who will guard the guards themselves?
"I would die at the stake rather than change a semi-colon!"
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 7:34:49 PM

Yes, which is why I said who'll look after the government to look after the people. Who'll look after the government. Who'll look after the people. Etc.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 7:37:06 PM

I GOT IT! We're going to create the watchmen watchmen, who'll be watching the watchmen while you are watched.

Wait... I see a problem here...

OK, we'll create the watchwomen who'll watch the watchmen, and the watchtransvestites who'll watch the watchwomen, whilst the watchmen watch the watchtransvestites. And then we'll make the watchchildren who watch those who decide who watch the watcher delegates. And then the Swiss shall watch the delegates. Who doesn't trust the Swiss?

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 7:38:15 PM
I'll take that Nobel Peace Prize now...