Jump to topic:

Occupy.org

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 1:59:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Did you hear about the Occupy kids who incorporated, so they could ban libertarians and gun-owners?

Lolz

I love how they used to compare themselves to the founding fathers. Sitting in their -20 degree sleeping bags, inside their tents, with their Starbucks and iPad, comparing their trial to what happened at Valley Forge.

I love, even more, how many people on forums defended those statements.

Oh, I miss OWS
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 2:13:00 PM
At 7/27/2012 1:59:06 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
Did you hear about the Occupy kids who incorporated, so they could ban libertarians and gun-owners?

Lolz

I love how they used to compare themselves to the founding fathers. Sitting in their -20 degree sleeping bags, inside their tents, with their Starbucks and iPad, comparing their trial to what happened at Valley Forge.

Oh, I miss OWS

Yep the irony that they oppose citizens united and corporate influencing politics, while at the same time being a corporation that tries to influence politics and speech would be banned if citizens united went the other way.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 1:30:45 AM

Lolz

Not the guns

Oh, I miss OWS
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 10:51:39 AM
They were stupid kids who didn't know what they were really doing only that it seemed cool and felt right.

They obviously know nothing about history, politics, economics or the United States or else they would not have done what they did.

Their movement betrayed their ignorance right from the start.
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 11:48:56 AM
At 7/28/2012 10:51:39 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
They were stupid kids who didn't know what they were really doing only that it seemed cool and felt right.

They obviously know nothing about history, politics, economics or the United States or else they would not have done what they did.

Their movement betrayed their ignorance right from the start.

I thought they were protesting against the polarization of wealth and bailouts, or something?
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 11:51:25 AM

Lolz

Oh, I miss OWS

No, I didn't hear about that.

So, I went looking into it, and I especially didn't see anything about OWS protestors' views on gun control. Do you have a link? I'd like to see it.

They compare themselves to the founding fathers in terms of their philosophy and methods, not their experience.

Having a stance against libertarians certainly coincides with their views and the initial purpose of the protest, so what that seems to do is cast doubt on the assertion that these people are ignorant and their grievances are irrelevant or pointless.

This is certainly how I expected everyone to react to such a protest, though. If enough people wanted things to be different, then things would be different. It may be disgusting to some, but the majority eagerly take the blue pill.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 1:01:49 PM
At 7/28/2012 11:51:25 AM, Ren wrote:

Lolz

Oh, I miss OWS

So, I went looking into it, and I especially didn't see anything about OWS protestors' views on gun control. Do you have a link? I'd like to see it.

They compare themselves to the founding fathers in terms of their philosophy and methods, not their experience.

No, they compared what they were going though at the start of last winter to Valley Forge, you know, that place where over 2000 men died, had very little in the way of clothing, food, or shelter. Yeah, they specifically compared themselves to the men who went through that.

As for the link, I'll have to go looking for it again.
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 1:10:02 PM
At 7/28/2012 1:01:49 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Lolz

Oh, I miss OWS

No, they compared what they were going though at the start of last winter to Valley Forge, you know, that place where over 2000 men died, had very little in the way of clothing, food, or shelter. Yeah, they specifically compared themselves to the men who went through that.

In fairness, the Tea Party frequently compare themselves to the American revolutionaries. Recontextualizing the past for political gain is practically a national pastime.
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 2:52:09 PM
At 7/28/2012 1:10:02 PM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:
In fairness, the Tea Party frequently compare themselves to the American revolutionaries. Recontextualizing the past for political gain is practically a national pastime.

Beacause the tyranny of modern day Wall Street is the same as the tyranny of Representation without taxation (for 50% of the populace).
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 4:47:48 PM

Lolz

Oh, I miss OWS

Lol, they? All of them?

Like, did they all shout it in unison, from every city in which it occurred?

I do hope you find the link; I'd love to see how this was presented. ^_^

I'm not sure exactly what you believe the difference between a monarch and a ruling class is, aside the number of people with unequivocal power.

You see, the problem isn't just that these people have the "majority of the money," it's everything that led to that state.

Do you contend that?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 6:57:04 PM
At 7/28/2012 5:07:49 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Government caused the problem? WE NEED MORE GOVERNMENT!!

's k, they know whats right
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 7:24:19 PM
At 7/28/2012 2:52:09 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Beacause the tyranny of modern day Wall Street is the same as the tyranny of Representation without taxation (for 50% of the populace).

Well, Occupy are upset by the financial industry, the way that's it's been bailed out, and large corporations generally, I think. I'm trying to present their position as fairly as I can.

Where does the 50% come from? A compounding of those who don't vote with those who voted against the current Congress? Or?

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 8:24:02 PM
At 7/28/2012 4:48:24 PM, Ren wrote:
I guess the second half of that post was more to Greyparrot. Mahbad.

Ren: In what way is Wall Street tyrannical to the average person? What do they forcefully take from the average person?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 8:27:42 PM
At 7/28/2012 7:24:19 PM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:

Well, Occupy are upset by the financial industry, the way that's it's been bailed out, and large corporations generally, I think. I'm trying to present their position as fairly as I can.

Where does the 50% come from? A compounding of those who don't vote with those who voted against the current Congress? Or?

Im talking about the huge amount of people that pay zero income tax, yet elect representatives to go spend other's tax money, mostly on themselves.

That is representation without taxation, which leads to financial unaccountability of representatives to the percentage of voters that pay zero income tax.

That is tyranny in the eyes of taxpayers.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 12:08:22 AM
At 7/28/2012 4:47:48 PM, Ren wrote:

Lolz

Oh, I miss OWS

Lol, they? All of them?

And the award for total d!ckhead goes to... REN!

Let me get this straight. I can't use 'they' in a general sense, it has to be a specific, all-encompasing sense. But YOU can use 'they' in a general sense. Right? Hence the part of your quote, right before my quote, which you turned into some kind of big deal? Yeah, that part, where you said 'they' in reference to 'them'.

Picking a fight over word choice, great job. Newsflash: There is no single OWS group. There is no single purpose or charter. You know that. Grow up and don't turn to stupid sh!thead arguments like that. I'm sick of morons thinking they are so clever when they run out of logic. And yes, 'they' includes you in this sense.

I should never use the internet, I lose faith in humanity.

http://tvtropes.org...

http://www.concordmonitor.com...

^_^ x_x v_v -_-

I'm not sure exactly what you believe the difference between a monarch and a ruling class is, aside the number of people with unequivocal power.

I'm not sure exactly what you believe you are talking about. Lern2gramamr

You see, the problem isn't just that these people have the "majority of the money," it's everything that led to that state.

Do you contend that?

P1 - The problem is everything that led to the state of 'these people have the majority of the money'?

What are you using to post on DDO? Computer? Brand?
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 12:08:56 AM

Yeah. Yourbad. ^_^
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 12:11:04 AM
At 7/28/2012 8:24:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Ren: In what way is Wall Street tyrannical to the average person? What do they forcefully take from the average person?

Come on Grey, it's obvious. The bankers are responsible for OWS kids' parents taking out mortgages on houses that cost $4000/month, without any thought of 'Hmmm, what would happen if one of us two working parents got sick, or fired, or anything else?'

Seriously, go watch House Hunters(or worse, Property Virgins), and you'll see how stupid and irresponsible people are, even after what should have been a good lesson. The thing I always hear is 'Hmm, I don't want to spend that much, but we can make it work with both our incomes'.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 12:12:44 AM
At 7/28/2012 8:27:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Im talking about the huge amount of people that pay zero income tax, yet elect representatives to go spend other's tax money, mostly on themselves.

That is representation without taxation, which leads to financial unaccountability of representatives to the percentage of voters that pay zero income tax.

No Grey, because the POOR people are the ones that are the victims. The people who make jobs are just greedy, money-hoarding bast@rds. People who earn part of their living from tax refunds should have most of the say in economic policies.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 12:20:57 AM
At 7/29/2012 12:08:22 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 7/28/2012 4:47:48 PM, Ren wrote:

Lolz

Oh, I miss OWS

Lol, they? All of them?

And the award for total d!ckhead goes to... REN!

Let me get this straight. I can't use 'they' in a general sense, it has to be a specific, all-encompasing sense. But YOU can use 'they' in a general sense. Right? Hence the part of your quote, right before my quote, which you turned into some kind of big deal? Yeah, that part, where you said 'they' in reference to 'them'.

Picking a fight over word choice, great job. Newsflash: There is no single OWS group. There is no single purpose or charter. You know that. Grow up and don't turn to stupid sh!thead arguments like that. I'm sick of morons thinking they are so clever when they run out of logic. And yes, 'they' includes you in this sense.

Touchy!

Well, Mister, I was just wondering what the context was -- who these representatives of the movement were, and what they said specifically that led you to believe that those who support the OWS movement, or those who participated in the protests directly, liken themselves to participants in the Civil War. You said:

"No, they compared what they were going though at the start of last winter to Valley Forge, you know, that place where over 2000 men died, had very little in the way of clothing, food, or shelter. Yeah, they specifically compared themselves to the men who went through that."

And, well, I wanted to see that, because I support the movement, and I don't believe that, and I had never heard of that. Yet, you say something like, lol:

Just because someone challenged your views. So, did you finally dig it up? Oh, goodie! Let me give it a read...

^_^ x_x v_v -_-

"On Monday, a small number of Occupy New Hampshire members incorporated the movement as a nonprofit in order to boot their former bedfellows: the Free Staters.

Lmfao, let me stop here.

"Libertarians" is clearly what this guy used as some random generalization to refer to a specific groupt that describes themselves as:

"What the Free State Project is... The Free State Project is an effort to recruit 20,000 liberty-loving people to move to New Hampshire."

lmfaoooo

http://freestateproject.org...

...Also prohibited from future Occupy events are gun owners who openly carry."

So, let's keep it straight and reign it in a bit, kid.

Sure, you might want to stay off the internet and keep the conversation between you and your boyfriends if you just want everyone to gargle your nuts and agree with you.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 12:22:01 AM
...might I add that I saw absolutely nothing whatsoever about the Civil War, and comparisons thereto, you big silly.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 1:04:39 AM
At 7/29/2012 12:20:57 AM, Ren wrote:
Touchy!

Well, Mister, I was just wondering what the context was -- who these representatives of the movement were, and what they said specifically that led you to believe that those who support the OWS movement, or those who participated in the protests directly, liken themselves to participants in the Civil War. You said:

Oh, sure. Your post was just dripping with sincere questions. Like, completely just shouting in unison from every city.

"No, they compared what they were going though at the start of last winter to Valley Forge, you know, that place where over 2000 men died, had very little in the way of clothing, food, or shelter. Yeah, they specifically compared themselves to the men who went through that."

And, well, I wanted to see that, because I support the movement, and I don't believe that, and I had never heard of that. Yet, you say something like, lol:

I'll bet if you try really hard, you could find that on your own.

http://www.google.com...

Now that you have found a search engine, you need to come up with a search term. Hmmmm... how could you search for something that had to do with Occupy Wall Street, and Valley Forge? Maybe... 'OWS valley forge'?

Just because someone challenged your views. So, did you finally dig it up? Oh, goodie! Let me give it a read...

No, because somebody like you came along, and in reference to a loosely-defined group with no central body, objectives, or beliefs, threw up a big stink over the usage of the word 'they'.

This again.

^_^ x_x v_v -_-

"On Monday, a small number of Occupy New Hampshire members incorporated the movement as a nonprofit in order to boot their former bedfellows: the Free Staters.

A small number? Do you mean that, in my OP, I shouldn't have said that ALL of the Occupy protestors incorporated? OMG!

Oh wait, I didn't.

Nonprofit... non-profit... non profit... organization... oh yeah, that part. Oops.

Lmfao, let me stop here.

"Libertarians" is clearly what this guy used as some random generalization to refer to a specific groupt that describes themselves as:

"What the Free State Project is... The Free State Project is an effort to recruit 20,000 liberty-loving people to move to New Hampshire."

lmfaoooo

Yeah, they definitely wouldn't be considered libertarians... I mean, it's not like they advocate more personal freedom, reduced government and regulation, or anything like that.

http://freestateproject.org...

...Also prohibited from future Occupy events are gun owners who openly carry."

So, let's keep it straight and reign it in a bit, kid.

Thank you for substantiating everything I said.

Sure, you might want to stay off the internet and keep the conversation between you and your boyfriends if you just want everyone to gargle your nuts and agree with you.

I see the error of my arguments now, that's for sure! Wow you sure were right about everything...
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 1:06:47 AM
At 7/29/2012 12:22:01 AM, Ren wrote:
...might I add that I saw absolutely nothing whatsoever about the Civil War, and comparisons thereto, you big silly.

Why would you see anything about the Civil War in that link? Are you completely retarded? You big moron.

In case you can't tell, I don't like when people come into a discussion and start trying to gramminazi everything for lack of having anything better to say. I especially don't like it when somebody uses 'your' as a general, non-specific pronoun, right before criticizing someone for using 'your' as a general, non-specific pronoun.
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:04:02 AM
At 7/28/2012 8:27:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Representation without taxation is fine. It's the opposite that's tyrannical, because you have no choice over what happens to your money, and in the historical case, it sometimes went to subsidizing ventures that the taxpayer might have benefited from, but didn't sanction. Making suffrage contingent upon wealth, and the ability to volunteer one's wealth, is not democratic in a system which apportions wealth as ours does.

Taxpayers are represented, they might not like what's happening, but so what? Rather intuitively, "No taxation without representation." means that you get representation, not an exhaustive list of opt-out clauses from whatever government's doing. Maybe you ought to, but that's a separate issue.

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 7:47:17 AM

Lol, it's not "Wall Street," it's more what Wall Street implies. It's instead, the upper 1% of the earners in this society.

I've give three things that they take from the average person:

1. The most advanced healthcare.
2. Influence in politics.
3. Access to more knowledge.

Let's start there. Contentions? :)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 7:58:56 AM
At 7/29/2012 1:04:39 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Oh, sure. Your post was just dripping with sincere questions. Like, completely just shouting in unison from every city.

No, it wasn't. It was literally a restatement of a single question in such a way that was mostly derisive, reflexively, given you're attempting (failingly) to insult a group of people that generally share on of my general perspectives.

I'll bet if you try really hard, you could find that on your own.

You can rest assured I won't try at all, and instead call you bs, and Occam would agree.

Now that you have found a search engine, you need to come up with a search term. Hmmmm... how could you search for something that had to do with Occupy Wall Street, and Valley Forge? Maybe... 'OWS valley forge'?

Sounds like something you could (and should) have done yourself. Since, of course, it's you alleging that it even exists in the first place.

No, because somebody like you came along, and in reference to a loosely-defined

Lol, what is this supposed to mean? How are they any less defined than, say, Republicans?

group with no central body,

? What, they should have a government or something?

objectives, or beliefs,

False.

threw up a big stink over the usage of the word 'they'.

What? Lol, what are you even talking about, bro?

This again.

Lol

This isn't a cartoon.

In any case, I notice that this thread is heavy on such insults, and you're laying it on rather thickly with me; interesting, that you had the time to get this weak attempt at properly utilizing someone else's witticism rather than simply proving your premise with a link that proves it and moving on.

A small number? Do you mean that, in my OP, I shouldn't have said that ALL of the Occupy protestors incorporated? OMG!

Actually, that's literally how you made it sound, which is why I said anything in the first place.

Lmfao, let me stop here.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 10:10:22 AM
"They were stupid kids who didn't know what they were really doing only that it seemed cool and felt right."

The number one reason no one under the age of 35 should be allowed to vote. You have to be young and stupid before you can be older and wise. The young and stupid should not be allowed to vote and screw everything up for the older and wise.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 11:11:58 AM
At 7/29/2012 7:47:17 AM, Ren wrote:

Lol, it's not "Wall Street," it's more what Wall Street implies. It's instead, the upper 1% of the earners in this society.

I've give three things that they take from the average person:

1. The most advanced healthcare.
2. Influence in politics.
3. Access to more knowledge.

Let's start there. Contentions? :)

I would like to see [b]any[/b] evidence that the top 1% take away any of that from the average person.

How does someone making $350,000/year take away healthcare from another? Take away influence from another? Take away knowledge from another?