Jump to topic:

Is Military the only source of National Pride

clonez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 10:13:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Me and my friends were having a debate on whether historical national pride has been based solely on past military strength and history.

Discuss.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 10:25:06 PM
lol, no.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 10:35:32 AM
lol, no
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 1:01:35 PM
lol, no.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 1:27:15 PM
At 7/28/2012 10:13:17 PM, clonez wrote:
Me and my friends were having a debate on whether historical national pride has been based solely on past military strength and history.

Discuss.

No national pride aka patriotism has to do with pride in your fellow countrymen. Military service is honorable, and a civic virtue, so it is natural to feel patriotic in regards to the military.

The term patriot comes from the middle french "compatriot" meaning "fellow countrymen", which comes from the Latin word "patriota" which means the same as the middle french. The Latin word "patriota" comes from the greek word "patrios", which means "from the father"; "patris" was Greek for "father", or "ancestor". "Patris" comes from the Proto-Indo-European word "ph ter" meaning "father", which comes from the Sanskrit "pitr", which means "father" or "paternal ancestor".
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 1:31:00 PM
At 7/29/2012 1:27:15 PM, DanT wrote:
At 7/28/2012 10:13:17 PM, clonez wrote:

Discuss.

No national pride aka patriotism has to do with pride in your fellow countrymen. Military service is honorable, and a civic virtue, so it is natural to feel patriotic in regards to the military.

The term patriot comes from the middle french "compatriot" meaning "fellow countrymen", which comes from the Latin word "patriota" which means the same as the middle french. The Latin word "patriota" comes from the greek word "patrios", which means "from the father"; "patris" was Greek for "father", or "ancestor". "Patris" comes from the Proto-Indo-European word "ph ter" meaning "father", which comes from the Sanskrit "pitr", which means "father" or "paternal ancestor".

Also the latin pater means father or forefather.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 4:57:26 PM
At 7/29/2012 1:01:03 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Pride=self-superiority. This is not a good thing, people 0-_-0

lol, no.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:17:26 PM
At 7/29/2012 4:57:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/29/2012 1:01:03 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Pride=self-superiority. This is not a good thing, people 0-_-0

lol, no.

Oh really. So having pride in the USA doesn't necessarily mean that we're better than other countries? Having pride in your football team doesn't necessarily mean it's better than other football teams? I've never heard of someone having pride in a country, team, etc. without it being in the context of superiority.

pride
1. a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.

dictionary.com

Have you used a dictionary lately?
Rob
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:29:15 PM
lol, possibly.
As a general rule, you'll find that, when a conservative is talking about policy, history, economics, or something serious, liberals are nowhere to be found. But, as soon as a conservative mentions Obama's birthplace or personal life, liberals are everywhere, only to dissappear again when evidence enters the discussion.
clonez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:08:16 PM
well think about it. I am saying HISTORICALLY, and that means NOT in the present. Historically, what tends to bind together nations is military strength. Other forces such as ethnic pride usually tend to drive nations apart or cause segregation and persecution. The only thing historically that seems to unify nations without fail is military might. Why do the French idolize Napoleon? He was, by all definitions, a military tyrant. Yet, his military conquests led France to dominate almost all of Europe. The lasting image of French domination was hugely empowering to the nation. Military power was one of the few ways that nations could show their power and prove their superiority over others, and it is virtually the only way that all of the people of a nation could participate. (e.g. economic power rested in the elites of a nation, while excluding the masses). German national pride, for example, rested in a strong military, and in particular a strong navy rivalling the British. 2 World wars were fought due to national pride.
clonez
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:14:43 PM
At 7/29/2012 4:54:57 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
haha, of course not. People can take pride in national culture, food, sports teams, music, celebrities, way of life ect.

Ok, pride in athleticism has been mainly centered on the late 20th and early 21st century, while the premise of my question was aimed at historical events (which means at least before the 1950's).

Now some of these other items, such as National culture, can be good or bad for a nation. There are many nations in the world that possess a multitude of cultures coexisting. Historically this has been the case for almost all countries. Therefore culture is something that can drive a country apart (e.g. in the Austrian Empire).

Way of life, again this is something that is not shared by all. In a country, this can also drive apart the nation, e.g. with socio-economic differences.

-Celebrities-- this is a fairly recent development. Again i must clarify my point is for historical pride, which I mentioned in my first post -.-