Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Isn't Obama the Republican?"

MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:44:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm volunteering with the NY GOP this summer, and one of my jobs is to go door to door conducting a survey about the congressional and presidential elections. Usually I can't even get people to answer the three questions, but I'd say about 20% of them actually answer. Anyway, today I had the pleasure of going into Syracuse and boy, boy oh boy, those people.

The first time I got someone to talk to me, it seemed alright at first. She was a woman in her 30's going back to school, and she was doing school work on the front porch. I asked her the first question, which was, "are you happy with how Obama is handling his job as president?"

Her response was, "isn't Obama the Republican?"

I smile and say, "no, he's a Democrat."

Her response, "oh, well I'm voting for Obama, he's my man."

At this point I realize that I'm just completely baffled at this point, so I finish the questions and walk away. I spent about four hours with people like this.

I can honestly say that Obama is banking on the ignorance of the American people, because 75% of the people that said they were voting for Obama either didn't know anything about Obama, or they thought Romney was evil and corrupt. I would rather slam my head against a brick wall than talk to those people again.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:48:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here is another gem I heard from a guy in the campaign office. He was doing calls and asking questions, and this guy said, "I think we should give the new guy a chance, Romney had four years and I think its only fair that Obama get a chance as president."
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:53:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It is possible that people just want to "mess" with you. They don't wanna get in an in depth conversation so they say something stupid, to get you away, and have a laugh.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:55:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 8:53:21 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
It is possible that people just want to "mess" with you. They don't wanna get in an in depth conversation so they say something stupid, to get you away, and have a laugh.

I don't think they were joking.
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:56:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 8:55:34 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 7/29/2012 8:53:21 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
It is possible that people just want to "mess" with you. They don't wanna get in an in depth conversation so they say something stupid, to get you away, and have a laugh.

I don't think they were joking.

hahaha lol. There are some pretty wild people out there.
thett3
Posts: 14,345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 9:21:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.amazon.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 9:33:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 9:20:05 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
But I'm sure you have actual substance to back up your opinion and not just anecdotal evidence....right?

I'm using good old common sense here. I'm making the connection between Obama's campaign strategy, and actual experience I have on an individual level with Obama supporters.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 9:59:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 8:44:26 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
I'm volunteering with the NY GOP this summer, and one of my jobs is to go door to door conducting a survey about the congressional and presidential elections. Usually I can't even get people to answer the three questions, but I'd say about 20% of them actually answer. Anyway, today I had the pleasure of going into Syracuse and boy, boy oh boy, those people.

The first time I got someone to talk to me, it seemed alright at first. She was a woman in her 30's going back to school, and she was doing school work on the front porch. I asked her the first question, which was, "are you happy with how Obama is handling his job as president?"

Her response was, "isn't Obama the Republican?"

I smile and say, "no, he's a Democrat."

Her response, "oh, well I'm voting for Obama, he's my man."

At this point I realize that I'm just completely baffled at this point, so I finish the questions and walk away. I spent about four hours with people like this.

I can honestly say that Obama is banking on the ignorance of the American people, because 75% of the people that said they were voting for Obama either didn't know anything about Obama, or they thought Romney was evil and corrupt. I would rather slam my head against a brick wall than talk to those people again.

So, based on your experience from a day in Syracuse, you've concluded that Obama is banking on ignorance. Do you think Romney is any different?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 11:11:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 9:33:17 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 7/29/2012 9:20:05 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
But I'm sure you have actual substance to back up your opinion and not just anecdotal evidence....right?

I'm using good old common sense here. I'm making the connection between Obama's campaign strategy, and actual experience I have on an individual level with Obama supporters.

Nope. That's circular logic.
By the OP, your anecdotal evidence is the basis for what you claim Obama's campaign strategy is.

One person thought Obama was a republican....herpa durr....the Obama campaign is manipulating ignorant people to get votes and would never win if people knew about politics. No...

If this is your logic, not to be insulting, but how are you any different than the people this thread is about? And I know you've got better stuff than that.
Sapere Aude!
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 11:40:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 8:44:26 PM, MrBrooks wrote:

I can honestly say that Obama is banking on the ignorance of the American people, because 75% of the people that said they were voting for Obama either didn't know anything about Obama, or they thought Romney was evil and corrupt. I would rather slam my head against a brick wall than talk to those people again.

Welcome to politics.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 11:50:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

If you're referring to the 24th Amendment, that banned poll taxes, not literacy tests.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 11:57:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 11:11:27 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 7/29/2012 9:33:17 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 7/29/2012 9:20:05 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
But I'm sure you have actual substance to back up your opinion and not just anecdotal evidence....right?

I'm using good old common sense here. I'm making the connection between Obama's campaign strategy, and actual experience I have on an individual level with Obama supporters.

Nope. That's circular logic.
By the OP, your anecdotal evidence is the basis for what you claim Obama's campaign strategy is.

One person thought Obama was a republican....herpa durr....the Obama campaign is manipulating ignorant people to get votes and would never win if people knew about politics. No...

If this is your logic, not to be insulting, but how are you any different than the people this thread is about? And I know you've got better stuff than that.

At this point in time, I'm making a reasonable assumption based on the experiences of others, personal experiences (I've been to more places than just Syracuse,) and rhetoric from the Obama campaign itself.

Since the Obama campaign isn't going to outright come out and say, "our strategy to win is to bank on the fact that most Americans don't know enough about our record to make an informed decision," I can't really prove that it is their explicit intent to do so. I can only make reasonable assumptions about the intent of the Obama campaign.

If we can't make assumptions and judgements based on what we've personally seen and heard, then what can we make assumptions and judgements based on?
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:01:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I actually think that voters mostly vote Alphabetically.

The big problem is that Democrats vote by first name and Republicans vote by last name. In addition, Americans are too stupid to count past 'L', and unable to understand names with more than four words.

That algorithm perfectly explains every election. Ever.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:04:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 11:50:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

If you're referring to the 24th Amendment, that banned poll taxes, not literacy tests.

That too. But literacy tests.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:07:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/30/2012 12:01:18 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
I actually think that voters mostly vote Alphabetically.

The big problem is that Democrats vote by first name and Republicans vote by last name. In addition, Americans are too stupid to count past 'L', and unable to understand names with more than four words.

That algorithm perfectly explains every election. Ever.

Omg.

Rick
Rick
Ron
Obama
Newt
Herman (lost!)
Gary
Mitt
Tim

All less then 4 or at 4, except Herman... And he was a creep
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:08:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 11:50:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

If you're referring to the 24th Amendment, that banned poll taxes, not literacy tests.

Law =/= constitution
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:56:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

Really? where does it say that?
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 12:58:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/30/2012 12:04:07 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:50:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

If you're referring to the 24th Amendment, that banned poll taxes, not literacy tests.

That too. But literacy tests.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Pretty sure Acts can be repealed.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:14:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

I believe the supreme court already said that you don't have a constitutional right to vote, while your vote cannot be denied for a short list of reasons (race, gender, etc), there is actually no explicit right to vote. So "political awareness tests" would not be unconstitutional.

http://www.usconstitution.net...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Platypus666
Posts: 262
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:21:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Both sides are this dumb. And even dumber than this depicts them to be.
NEVER LOGGING IN UNLESS I AM HIGH

Official "The (Weed) Aquatic (Weed) and (Weed) Egg (Weed) Laying (Weed) Mammalian (Weed) Enforceress (Weed) of (Weed) Liberty (Weed), Cuddliness (Weed), and (Weed) Involuntary (Weed) Administration (Weed) of (POT) Psychoactive (Weed) Substances (Weed) To (Weed) All (Weed) The (Weed) Masses (Weed) Under (Weed?) The (Weed!) Control (Weed) of (Weed) The (Weed) All (Weed) High (Weed) FREEDO (Weed) and (Weed) Yyyyyyyyyyyyeah (WEED)" of the FREEDO Bureaucracy.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 1:23:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/30/2012 12:58:55 AM, DanT wrote:
At 7/30/2012 12:04:07 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:50:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

If you're referring to the 24th Amendment, that banned poll taxes, not literacy tests.

That too. But literacy tests.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Pretty sure Acts can be repealed.

Actually, the only real limit that the Voting Rights Act places, is that no test can bar more than 50% of the voting population (or be race/gender targeting).

Since Wiki doesn't have the text, people can read it here.

http://www.ourdocuments.gov...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 3:30:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

Fvck the constitution.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 7:56:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/30/2012 1:23:57 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/30/2012 12:58:55 AM, DanT wrote:
At 7/30/2012 12:04:07 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:50:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

If you're referring to the 24th Amendment, that banned poll taxes, not literacy tests.

That too. But literacy tests.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Pretty sure Acts can be repealed.

Actually, the only real limit that the Voting Rights Act places, is that no test can bar more than 50% of the voting population (or be race/gender targeting).

Since Wiki doesn't have the text, people can read it here.

http://www.ourdocuments.gov...

Sometimes I want to go even further and make it so people have to earn citizenship. The big problem with that is in deciding who and what would determine who gets to be a citizen.
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 4:47:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Most of the people voting don't know a thing about the candidates.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 8:49:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/30/2012 1:14:02 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:41:46 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 7/29/2012 11:27:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
The populace is stupid. That's why I an in favor of "political awareness" tests to obtain voting eligibility.

You'd have to answer a series of basic questions about government and civics before being able to vote.

Literacy tests for votes are unconstitutional. So is that. Even if the idea is great.

I believe the supreme court already said that you don't have a constitutional right to vote, while your vote cannot be denied for a short list of reasons (race, gender, etc), there is actually no explicit right to vote. So "political awareness tests" would not be unconstitutional.

http://www.usconstitution.net...

This is correct. As long as you're not excluded based on gender, race, religion etc, the state's still have the right to regulate voting as long as it is fair across the board. We restrict voting rights to those over 18 for example. As long as the restrictions are evenly done then they are allowed.

And honestly, some people don't deserve a vote.
TheOrator
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:25:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Haha, I don't doubt that these people were legitimately stupid (a lot of voters are ignorant of who they're voting for) and this is probably evidence for the electoral college (even though I disagree with it), but to be fair there could just be trolls who are good actors in that area. I know that I for one, pull gags on telemarketers all the time where I pretend to be a child molestor, addicted to acohol, abusive, amish (it's extremely hilarious to hear them wrap their head around an amish guy answering the phone), a gimp, gay, a transvestite, and a drug dealer simply because i want to screw with people who try to take my time. I'd be more receptive with a face-to-face survey (I don't know why, it just seems better), but have you considered the fact the same thing could be going on?
My legend begins in the 12th century
TheOrator
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 9:33:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/30/2012 1:21:54 AM, Platypus666 wrote:
Both sides are this dumb. And even dumber than this depicts them to be.

Agreed. Not everyone on either side, of course (some people (like those on this site) know what they're talking about) but the ignorant vote is a legitimate thing. I've heard people say they're voting for Obama just because he's a democrat and not because of bailouts, obamacare, or escalated middle eastern hostilities, and on the flip side I've heard people bash Obama's policies for no other reason than extreme dumbassery (One woman, after we debated the issue, eventually just said "because he's obama" in response to his illegal immigration act) rather than their implications.
My legend begins in the 12th century