Jump to topic:

Smear campaigns

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 2:11:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was thinking; back in the 1800's Adams called Jackson a jack a**, called his mother a whore, and his wife a slut, and Adams still won the election.

Today smear campaigns are less open, and have more to do with altering one's perception without making it too obvious.

In my opinion modern smear campaigns are more dangerous because they are more underhanded.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 7:24:16 PM
Agreed, but more because they are not about policies, and not about dialogue, but actually about trying to make people think something without making them think at all. It removes the idea of political discourse, and takes out the idea of educated voting.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 10:18:12 AM
At 7/30/2012 2:11:09 AM, DanT wrote:
I was thinking; back in the 1800's Adams called Jackson a jack a**, called his mother a whore, and his wife a slut, and Adams still won the election.

Today smear campaigns are less open, and have more to do with altering one's perception without making it too obvious.

In my opinion modern smear campaigns are more dangerous because they are more underhanded.

Obviously. Those other statements are just absurd.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 10:47:11 AM
The Fool: its of dishonestly anyway you put it. If a politician told the truth no body would vote for him. The system is set up that they havfe to lie. Even if somebody really want to make a Good change. They have to engage in lies to compete or you people wont vote for them. Because voters are selfish, and care onlt the most about what they think is Good. But they are not specialized on any other important issues. we vote for people who we could related to. But maybe you would make a shitty rulars. Some times I think democracy is born out of selfishnes. Not to have other have an equal say but to not let other have a say over us. I never have votes yet. Why? because I have no 'idea' of what exactly is going on. I know how much I am limited, in knowing about all the details of the economy, how all the world relations are. Where are the money is going and best, spend. I would argue that only 5% of the population has a full and coherent graspt to make an intellectual Vote. The rest think they, know, but we don't have a clue, we just here the odd report here and there. It just gives us false illusion that we are contributing when most of us are infact making it worse.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 11:53:18 AM
At 7/30/2012 2:11:09 AM, DanT wrote:

Well, back when there was honor among politicians... lol... as if.

The problem is that smear campaigns work, and moreover, the age old rule in politics is that it is easier to make your opponent look bad then to make yourself look good. As such, it's a race to tear one another apart. Both parties are equally guilty, and even though people complain about negative ads, the stats consistently show that they change votes.

What's worse is that most of the "attack" ads are complete nonsense. They are untruths, are based on factual omissions, or just outright lies. Spin sells though, and people buy it. (There is even one TV show that sells itself as a "no spin zone," yet is as rife with nonsense as its primetime competitors.)

It used to bother me -and when I really think about it, it still does- that politicians trade on the stupidity of American voters, but all they are really doing is meeting them at their level: that of a knuckle-dragging neanderthal. Cynical as that may be, if you want to understand voters, volunteer for your local or state office for either the Republican or Democratic parties. Listen to voters explain why they think the way they do. It's an eye opening experience.
Tsar of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:12:20 PM
The truth is that smear campaigns are very tame in comparison to a few hundred years ago.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 1:31:08 PM
Meh. All law smearing is similar: Darrow is just like that. The smearing by this people are just comical at times: it just expresses their dislike. Modern smear is attempting to undermine people by not engaging them.

Anyone who is convinced by the statement "John is a bastardd" should be considering whether they should vote.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 2:01:28 PM
The Fool: The problem is that people actually to buy it. That is why they are doing it. Because it works. But its all Dishonestly. And thus of immoral nature.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 2:02:29 PM
At 7/31/2012 2:01:28 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: The problem is that people actually to buy it. That is why they are doing it. Because it works. But its all Dishonestly. And thus of immoral nature.

Is misleading people immoral if we tell them the truth (technically)?