Jump to topic:

Romney, Consistent on Health Care

JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 2:26:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
A lot of people are convinced that Romney has undergone some big shift on health care. It simply isn't true. He has always been opposed to socialized medicine, employer mandates, and tax increases... and supportive of free market HC. Let me offer evidence.

Exhibit 1 is this exchange with Kennedy in 1994... He expresses opposition to tax increases, government takeovers of hc, and employer mandates:

Exhibit 2 is a 2004 op-ed for the Boston Globe, by Mitt Romney, expressing his original vision for Romneycare... In it, he expresses support for deregulating what insurance companies must offer, enacting malpractice reform, and adding work requirements that reform Medicaid... He also expresses opposition to a single payer system and a "pay or play" employer mandate:

http://www.boston.com...

Exhibit 3 is a 2006 op-ed by Mitt Romney for the WSJ. In it, he expresses his vision for a market driven, universal hc system:

http://online.wsj.com...

All in all, we have seen a pretty consistent Romney on HC. Yes, he has been murky on the individual mandate... but his broader philosophy on HC has been consistent.
As a general rule, you'll find that, when a conservative is talking about policy, history, economics, or something serious, liberals are nowhere to be found. But, as soon as a conservative mentions Obama's birthplace or personal life, liberals are everywhere, only to dissappear again when evidence enters the discussion.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 3:20:09 AM
At 7/31/2012 2:26:13 AM, JamesMadison wrote:
All in all, we have seen a pretty consistent Romney on HC. Yes, he has been murky on the individual mandate... but his broader philosophy on HC has been consistent.

Oh, so he has been consistent, except where he wasn't. I see.
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 3:35:04 AM
At 7/31/2012 3:20:09 AM, Double_R wrote:
At 7/31/2012 2:26:13 AM, JamesMadison wrote:

Oh, so he has been consistent, except where he wasn't. I see.

No politician has beeen totally consistent. But, Romney has been consistent on his broad philosophy.
As a general rule, you'll find that, when a conservative is talking about policy, history, economics, or something serious, liberals are nowhere to be found. But, as soon as a conservative mentions Obama's birthplace or personal life, liberals are everywhere, only to dissappear again when evidence enters the discussion.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 3:39:05 AM
Here's the problem, his inconsistency is on, y'know, the particular question that was recently decided on the supreme court.
Not just consistent except where he wasn't. Consistent except where it politically matters right now. Consistent except on the actual reform that he signed (his "original vision" is irrelevant next to the result).

As in, he is the worst Republican in the nation to hold up the banner against Obamacare.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 8:24:21 AM
Recently, Romney also praised the Israeli socialized healthcare system.

"When our health care costs are completely out of control. Do you realize what health care spending is as a percentage of the GDP in Israel? 8 percent. You spend 8 percent of GDP on health care. And you're a pretty healthy nation,"

"We spend 18 percent of our GDP on health care. 10 percentage points more. That gap, that 10 percent cost, let me compare that with the size of our military. Our military budget is 4 percent. Our gap with Israel is 10 points of GDP. We have to find ways, not just to provide health care to more people, but to find ways to finally manage our health care costs."

http://www.buzzfeed.com...

You could say that he was just being "nice" to a foreign country. However, there are plenty of things he could praise. Why would he praise something that contradicts one of his main running points?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 8:51:30 AM
All in all, we have seen a pretty consistent Romney on HC. Yes, he has been murky on the individual mandate... but his broader philosophy on HC has been consistent.:

But your major point was never in contention, it was the "murky" part about individual mandates that's the problem. That's where he's frantically trying to backpeddle.

And now ObamaCare, which is clearly an offshoot of RomneyCare, is set to have thousands of corporations to dump their insurance providers and pay the penalties, because it's cheaper to pay the penalties than provide their employees with insurance.

It's not onlt set to not solve the problem, but make it infinitely worse.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:29:11 PM
At 7/31/2012 8:24:21 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

"When our health care costs are completely out of control. Do you realize what health care spending is as a percentage of the GDP in Israel? 8 percent. You spend 8 percent of GDP on health care. And you're a pretty healthy nation,"

"We spend 18 percent of our GDP on health care. 10 percentage points more. That gap, that 10 percent cost, let me compare that with the size of our military. Our military budget is 4 percent. Our gap with Israel is 10 points of GDP. We have to find ways, not just to provide health care to more people, but to find ways to finally manage our health care costs."

You could say that he was just being "nice" to a foreign country. However, there are plenty of things he could praise. Why would he praise something that contradicts one of his main running points?

Okay, this criticism of Mitt Romney is just getting ridiculous. He was obviously just making a point about high health care expenditure in the US... that is all.
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:33:00 PM
At 7/31/2012 12:29:11 PM, JamesMadison wrote:

Okay, this criticism of Mitt Romney is just getting ridiculous. He was obviously just making a point about high health care expenditure in the US... that is all.

LOL

It's pretty obvious that Romney is slimy. I'm a Republican and I'm voting Obama.
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:56:21 PM
At 7/31/2012 12:33:00 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:

LOL

It's pretty obvious that Romney is slimy. I'm a Republican and I'm voting Obama.

No, the anti Romney crowd likes to take everything he says out of context.
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 12:59:04 PM
At 7/31/2012 12:56:21 PM, JamesMadison wrote:
At 7/31/2012 12:33:00 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:

LOL

Explain to me how glorifying the Israeli system, which is universal, is taking his praise for a universal healthcare system out of context.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 2:58:25 PM

Yes, he was making a point that the universal system was cheaper and more efficient, while the USA system was more expensive. Yet, he is strictly against the universal system?!? Why would he praise the universal system and be strongly against the universal system?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 5:36:16 PM
At 7/31/2012 12:59:04 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:

Explain to me how glorifying the Israeli system, which is universal, is taking his praise for a universal healthcare system out of context.

I would love to hear his insights on this as well.
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 5:48:46 PM
At 7/31/2012 5:36:16 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 7/31/2012 12:59:04 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:

I would love to hear his insights on this as well.

I made an entire thread about this:

http://www.debate.org...