Jump to topic:

How do Hawaiians see themselves?

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 4:15:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
what do hawaiians see themselves as first... hawaiian or american?

it seems that every hawaiian i speak with sees themselves as pacific islanders before seeing themselves as americans.

i post it here b/c our president, Barack Hussein Obama II, is from hawaii and in hopes that i can settle the question in my mind.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 7:52:22 PM
People are always more patriotic to their locality before their country.

For example in England there is allot of rivalry between southerners and northerners. And allot of rivalry between counties, but we always muck together when the rivalry is between another country.
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 8:08:29 PM
At 9/3/2009 7:52:22 PM, Nik wrote:

For example in England there is allot of rivalry between southerners and northerners. And allot of rivalry between counties, but we always muck together when the rivalry is between another country.

I get that but I have always seen America as different.

my grandfather was Cuban... he always said the the proudest he has ever been was the moment he became an American citizen...

he was American first...
I am Cuban American but I am American first...

maybe I just have a different view on things b/c I did serve in the military, never really claiming one state as home.

I mean I am southern also but American first.

I understand what you are saying... I just can not wrap my head around the concept.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 8:37:39 PM
Texan!
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 8:42:09 PM
At 9/3/2009 8:37:39 PM, mongoose wrote:
Texan!

yeah... funny...
i get it... my mind just does not think in that respect
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 8:53:18 PM
At 9/3/2009 8:50:24 PM, Puck wrote:
With a mirror.

Boom Boom.

>.>

That made me laugh.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2009 9:00:59 PM
At 9/3/2009 8:53:18 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 9/3/2009 8:50:24 PM, Puck wrote:
With a mirror.

Boom Boom.

>.>

That made me laugh.

Same. Well done Puck.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 6:26:49 AM
Most of my cousins were born and bred in Hawaii, although only a few still live there. They all love Hawaii and hate Florida where many of them now live and they still keep faith with the Hawaiian way of life (the girls wear bikini tops and flowers in their hair and the boys go about in colourful trunks and no shoes).

That said, they are all proud to be Americans (even though the oldest two were born in the UK).
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2009 6:32:00 AM
At 9/3/2009 7:52:22 PM, Nik wrote:

Yes, that's true. I was born and bred in Tyneside in the north east of England where Nik would be described as a "soft southerner" and when I moved down south I was called a "northern bastard" but when push comes to shove and the English are up against Johnny Foreigner, all enmities are put to one side!
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2009 6:59:35 PM
At 9/4/2009 6:32:00 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Yes, that's true. I was born and bred in Tyneside in the north east of England where Nik would be described as a "soft southerner" and when I moved down south I was called a "northern bastard" but when push comes to shove and the English are up against Johnny Foreigner, all enmities are put to one side!

True, but my dads northern (cumbria) my mums southern (kent) I was born in the south (london) but educated in a boarding school in north yorkshire. So my accent is uniquely fooked, and im both a southern softie and a northern bastard! Even people in Birmingham shun me! I just cant win.
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 1:32:23 AM
At 9/5/2009 6:59:35 PM, Nik wrote:

True, but my dads northern (cumbria) my mums southern (kent) I was born in the south (london) but educated in a boarding school in north yorkshire. So my accent is uniquely fooked, and im both a southern softie and a northern bastard! Even people in Birmingham shun me! I just cant win.

LOL! The fact that Brummies shun you should be a matter of pride!

B/T/W, I bet nobody expected the focus of this thread to be shifted from Hawaii to the West Midlands!
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 1:38:40 AM
At 9/6/2009 1:32:23 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

B/T/W, I bet nobody expected the focus of this thread to be shifted from Hawaii to the West Midlands!

no!no!no!

it is great. i do not get to hear this stuff.
i think it is great.
keep it up.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:28:30 AM
I see myself as Dublinese, then Irish, then European. When Aliens come, I'm Earthian :).
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:58:13 PM
At 9/6/2009 6:28:30 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I see myself as Dublinese, then Irish, then European. When Aliens come, I'm Earthian :).

Texan first. And last. And everything in between.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 7:02:00 PM
I don't know how I see myself.

I guess I'm Canadian. I don't necessarily distinguish between English and French Canadian, or Ontarian and Quebecer/Albertan/etc. - just Canadian.

I mean, hell, I'm a Toronto-born Montreal Canadiens fan. That is your first indication of how cosmopolitan I am.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 6:29:52 AM
At 9/6/2009 1:32:23 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Don't take it personal, we shun everybody.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 10:07:32 AM
At 9/6/2009 6:58:13 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 9/6/2009 6:28:30 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Texan first. And last. And everything in between.

Revolution much?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.