Jump to topic:

Unemployment - 8.3%

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 5:58:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
U3 ticked up. CBO projects 8.9% by the end of the year. If Obama loses, it will be because of the jobs situation. We're almost a full percentage above where he basically promised we would never even reach.

U6 unemployment is 15%. This is not a good situation for the country.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 7:51:30 PM
At 8/3/2012 7:48:25 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
Wasn't it over 10% at one point?

Yes. http://www.gallup.com...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 3:13:51 AM
At 8/3/2012 5:58:55 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
U3 ticked up. CBO projects 8.9% by the end of the year. If Obama loses, it will be because of the jobs situation. We're almost a full percentage above where he basically promised we would never even reach.

U6 unemployment is 15%. This is not a good situation for the country.

Isn't that 8.9% projection based on the fact that people are starting to jump back into the work force now that there are actually jobs available? Seems like a strange reason for someone to lose an election.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 11:49:47 AM
At 8/4/2012 3:13:51 AM, Double_R wrote:
Isn't that 8.9% projection based on the fact that people are starting to jump back into the work force now that there are actually jobs available? Seems like a strange reason for someone to lose an election.

Every month the labor force grows by immigration and by new grads entering the work force. They do seasonal adjustments to even out the stats. It takes at least 150,000 new jobs per month to keep unemployment level. For this year, average job creation has been about 150,000, hence unemployment has been stable.

Discouraged workers re-entering the labor market will make eventually make it difficult to drive unemployment down, but the economy hasn't improved enough for that to be a major factor. The pool of discouraged workers is enormous. I've seen numbers around 23%. That includes people who would come out of retirement if jobs were available.

I think that high unemployment is the "new normal" for the nanny state.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 10:59:37 AM
At 8/4/2012 11:49:47 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

Every month the labor force grows by immigration and by new grads entering the work force. They do seasonal adjustments to even out the stats. It takes at least 150,000 new jobs per month to keep unemployment level. For this year, average job creation has been about 150,000, hence unemployment has been stable.

Discouraged workers re-entering the labor market will make eventually make it difficult to drive unemployment down, but the economy hasn't improved enough for that to be a major factor. The pool of discouraged workers is enormous. I've seen numbers around 23%. That includes people who would come out of retirement if jobs were available.

It is dubious at best to imply the high unemployment is due to social programs. This is a credit cycle bust and unfortunately our whole system relies on trickle down fixes, so the very institution that did not properly account for risk are the very ones that benefit the most from cheap credit and the devaluation of money.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:39:21 AM

I think it takes 125,000 new jobs, not 150k.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 12:56:28 PM
At 8/6/2012 10:59:37 AM, slo1 wrote:

It is dubious at best to imply the high unemployment is due to social programs.

With social programs you decrease the incentive to be a producer to increase the incentives to be a non producer. That's not to say that there aren't other factors and variables, but it makes perfect sense that if one does not have to work, they wont. If the options are find a job or starve, or find a job or live off someone else's labor, its obvious that individuals in the latter situation have less incentive to be employed.

This is a credit cycle bust and unfortunately our whole system relies on trickle down fixes, so the very institution that did not properly account for risk are the very ones that benefit the most from cheap credit and the devaluation of money.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right