Jump to topic:

Obama - "Oops! Thats not what I meant to say"

Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 7:13:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Did anyone actually listen to Obamas latest explanation of "You didn't build that?" Are we listening to such bull sh¡t and expected to believe it? If one of us made such a dumb a$sed statement on this forum, someone would have us by the balls big time. If I may, let me reiterate, "Bull Sh¡t"
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 7:16:43 PM
It's pretty stupid.

No, a rich person didn't build roads.

But, through his work, his business, and the business it creates, he creates more gas tax for the government than 99% of Americans. So, the roads are more 'his' than they are the average Joe's in that sense.

Also, the rich pay FAR more into federal taxes. All that infrastructure that is funded by taxes, is more funded by rich than poor.

It should be 'You didn't build that, you're just responsible for more than your fair share of it.'
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 7:17:18 PM
At 8/3/2012 7:15:07 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Everything he said was true. The onl mistake was using the word "that" instead of "those."

While technically true, it's also technically misleading.

The rich pay for their use of infrastructure. Mor ethan the poor.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2012 7:20:07 PM
Obama had a good point, that the wealthy use the common infrastructure to get rich. That is why Warren Buffet said he couldn't become wealthy in Bangladesh, because they don't have the sort of system we do concerning infrastructure.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 9:11:56 AM
At 8/3/2012 7:20:07 PM, Contra wrote:
Obama had a good point, that the wealthy use the common infrastructure to get rich. That is why Warren Buffet said he couldn't become wealthy in Bangladesh, because they don't have the sort of system we do concerning infrastructure.

Except everyone in the US has access to that same infrastructure. So its not as If the rich have some special treatment the poor people don't. And its not as If they are given as "gifts" to the government. They are just services the government goods provided in exchange for tax payer money. This is like saying that the rich are in debt to the food companies, because they would be dead without food, even though they pay their own food bills.

Hell, based on Obama's own logic, the government didn't even build the roads, since the government required contracting from other companies to get the roads built.

And its not like it would be impossible to build infrastructure without government. Oh roads, how ever would they be funded without the state funding it! It's not as If the market will supply things that people demand.

I remember someone citing that during the 18th and beginning 19th century that roads were mainly privately funded and those publicly funded were gigantic failures. However it was a bias person so I'll have to look more into it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 9:15:49 AM
His statement is technically true. One LITERALLY cannot succeed without the help of SOMEONE at SOME point. SOMEONE taught you what you know. If you taught yourself, SOMEONE wrote the book you read. Become a business owner? SOMEONE was willing to work for you.

That being said, what President Obama was implying/indicating was, however, really wrong. And a bit disturbing, may I add.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 10:02:58 AM
At 8/4/2012 9:11:56 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Except everyone in the US has access to that same infrastructure. So its not as If the rich have some special treatment the poor people don't. And its not as If they are given as "gifts" to the government. They are just services the government goods provided in exchange for tax payer money. This is like saying that the rich are in debt to the food companies, because they would be dead without food, even though they pay their own food bills.

Hell, based on Obama's own logic, the government didn't even build the roads, since the government required contracting from other companies to get the roads built.

And its not like it would be impossible to build infrastructure without government. Oh roads, how ever would they be funded without the state funding it! It's not as If the market will supply things that people demand.

I remember someone citing that during the 18th and beginning 19th century that roads were mainly privately funded and those publicly funded were gigantic failures. However it was a bias person so I'll have to look more into it.

Just throwing this argument out there to see what 'yall think: a rich person's time is worth more $ right, so if they save, say, an hour a day (to keep things simple), on their commute due to better/more roads, doesn't that mean they're getting more from it? Like, opportunity cost should be factored in.
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 5:13:43 PM
The government is ultimately funded by taxpayers who get their money from businesses. The government does nothing in help of building business.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 5:32:22 PM
At 8/4/2012 10:02:58 AM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:
At 8/4/2012 9:11:56 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Just throwing this argument out there to see what 'yall think: a rich person's time is worth more $ right, so if they save, say, an hour a day (to keep things simple), on their commute due to better/more roads, doesn't that mean they're getting more from it? Like, opportunity cost should be factored in.

If the cost of the improvement of the road is equal to or less than the sum of the additional income gained, no, as the money can be better spent elsewhere. Even if it is more, it may still be worse, opportunity-cost-wise. And anyway, rich people tend not to make that large an impact on a business, believe it or not. Andy Hall, an amazing businessman in the realm of oil, spent most of his time away from his business letting it run itself, occasionally doing web-conferences to sell and buy stock. The major businesses are mostly PLCs, so there is a Cabinet of people running it from many places in the world. Roads wouldn't make much of a difference in today's climate.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 8:43:13 PM
What I got from that whole thing was that America is a nation built both from individualism and community. The community has made it so that anybody can do just about anything they want entrepreneur wise (by providing need, labor, and the infrastructure for the business to function which I think is what Obama was trying to refer to) but it is ultimately up to the individual to determine how much he wants to be successful based on his will and determination.

Moral of the story: Obama was just trying to make a point that businessmen who say that they got to where they are by themselves most certainly not get their on their own, he just didnt put it in the best way possible and thanks to one grammar mistake by a normally well spoken man, Republicans have been having an orgy with it.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 8:44:57 PM
At 8/4/2012 8:43:13 PM, imabench wrote:
What I got from that whole thing was that America is a nation built both from individualism and community. The community has made it so that anybody can do just about anything they want entrepreneur wise (by providing need, labor, and the infrastructure for the business to function which I think is what Obama was trying to refer to) but it is ultimately up to the individual to determine how much he wants to be successful based on his will and determination.

Moral of the story: Obama was just trying to make a point that businessmen who say that they got to where they are by themselves most certainly not get their on their own, he just didnt put it in the best way possible and thanks to one grammar mistake by a normally well spoken man, Republicans have been having an orgy with it.

It doesn't justify higher taxes- as his entire mantra is.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 9:02:23 PM
At 8/4/2012 8:44:57 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

of course it doesnt, but he wasnt trying to justify higher taxes, he was just trying to make a point
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 9:14:04 PM
At 8/4/2012 9:02:23 PM, imabench wrote:

of course it doesnt, but he wasnt trying to justify higher taxes, he was just trying to make a point

Lol. The implicit message is that the rich don't own everything that they make and therefore they ought to pay higher taxes- which the central point behind his campaign.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 9:14:42 PM
At 8/4/2012 9:14:04 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 8/4/2012 9:02:23 PM, imabench wrote:

Lol. The implicit message is that the rich don't own everything that they make and therefore they ought to pay higher taxes- which is the central point behind his campaign.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 9:17:50 PM
I cant reason with someone who quotes the last thing he says....

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2012 9:32:57 PM
At 8/4/2012 9:17:50 PM, imabench wrote:
I cant reason with someone who quotes the last thing he says....

For a spelling mistake? Lol.