Total Posts:108|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Anti-Sex Crazies Strike Again

ravenwaen
Posts: 96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 5:26:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sweet Jesus, some administrators are seriously @$#!ed up... >.>

I can't imagine how any educator would believe it their right to know if a student is pregnant.

"Louisiana School Forces Students to Take Pregnancy Tests, Kicks Out Girls Who Refuse Or Test Positive"

http://thinkprogress.org...
HelterSkelter
Posts: 281
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 5:48:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Interesting. Are they going to mandate paternity tests so that they can kick out the fathers too, or is this just targeted at expelling female students? It takes two to tango.
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 6:37:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 6:14:50 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
This is why you don't mix your government with your education; they grow more and more authoritarian as time goes on.

This has nothing to do with government it is entirely to do with local mentality.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
ravenwaen
Posts: 96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:26:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 6:14:50 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
This is why you don't mix your government with your education; they grow more and more authoritarian as time goes on.

Government is the sole reason this isn't being allowed to continue, by enforcing the Constitution and other civil rights laws. Plus it was a private school, not a public (government) school, who did this.

Your anti-govt crap makes no sense here.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:28:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I now support school vouchers.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
ravenwaen
Posts: 96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:29:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 5:48:14 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:
Interesting. Are they going to mandate paternity tests so that they can kick out the fathers too, or is this just targeted at expelling female students? It takes two to tango.

It's sexist at best, slut-shaming at worst.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:52:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with your point, but you are strawmanning the article. The article has nothing to do with being anti-sex. The article was about the growing problem of teenage pregnancies and the questionable methods chosen to combat it.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:53:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 7:26:06 PM, ravenwaen wrote:
At 8/7/2012 6:14:50 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
This is why you don't mix your government with your education; they grow more and more authoritarian as time goes on.

Government is the sole reason this isn't being allowed to continue, by enforcing the Constitution and other civil rights laws. Plus it was a private school, not a public (government) school, who did this.

Your anti-govt crap makes no sense here.

...

Its a government institution.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:55:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 7:26:06 PM, ravenwaen wrote:
At 8/7/2012 6:14:50 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
This is why you don't mix your government with your education; they grow more and more authoritarian as time goes on.

Government is the sole reason this isn't being allowed to continue, by enforcing the Constitution and other civil rights laws. Plus it was a private school, not a public (government) school, who did this.

Your anti-govt crap makes no sense here.

If it's a private school why can't they do what they want? They could descriminate against redheads for all it matters, they are only hurting themselves with lost revenues.

Also I'm sure there are a multitude of really great non-discriminatory public school alternatives, churning out brilliant minds like there's no tomorrow.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
HelterSkelter
Posts: 281
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 7:56:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 6:14:50 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
This is why you don't mix your government with your education; they grow more and more authoritarian as time goes on.

LOL, the courts and government are going to be the reason that this is overturned.

I'm sure plenty of Catholic private schools would be happy to institute this.
Frederick53
Posts: 1,037
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:28:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 7:53:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 8/7/2012 7:26:06 PM, ravenwaen wrote:
At 8/7/2012 6:14:50 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
This is why you don't mix your government with your education; they grow more and more authoritarian as time goes on.

Government is the sole reason this isn't being allowed to continue, by enforcing the Constitution and other civil rights laws. Plus it was a private school, not a public (government) school, who did this.

Your anti-govt crap makes no sense here.

...

Its a government institution.

But the government isn't doing it.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:32:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 8:28:33 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 8/7/2012 7:53:01 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 8/7/2012 7:26:06 PM, ravenwaen wrote:
At 8/7/2012 6:14:50 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
This is why you don't mix your government with your education; they grow more and more authoritarian as time goes on.

Government is the sole reason this isn't being allowed to continue, by enforcing the Constitution and other civil rights laws. Plus it was a private school, not a public (government) school, who did this.

Your anti-govt crap makes no sense here.

...

Its a government institution.

But the government isn't doing it.

Aren't school boards government entities? I may be misunderstanding the relationship between school boards and local governments. I believe that school boards are under the control of state and local governments.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:41:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
But the government isn't doing it.

Then it isn't an issue for the government to handle. The 1st Amendment guarantees freedom of association, and if a private school doesn't want pregnant girls in their school then they don't have to let pregnant girls in their school. Pregnancy tests may be going too far, in my opinion, but the private school has a right to make them mandatory. Whether or not the parents (whom are paying the bill,) want to tolerate that is up to them, but nobody is forcing them to send their kids to that particular school.
HelterSkelter
Posts: 281
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:44:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 8:41:47 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
But the government isn't doing it.

Then it isn't an issue for the government to handle. The 1st Amendment guarantees freedom of association, and if a private school doesn't want pregnant girls in their school then they don't have to let pregnant girls in their school. Pregnancy tests may be going too far, in my opinion, but the private school has a right to make them mandatory. Whether or not the parents (whom are paying the bill,) want to tolerate that is up to them, but nobody is forcing them to send their kids to that particular school.

Private schools are not entities that exist in an alternate universe; they enjoy our protections and taxpayer support for buses, police protection, etc. and thus cannot violate some fundamental rights. Forced pregnancy tests violate the right to privacy.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:50:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Private schools are not entities that exist in an alternate universe; they enjoy our protections and taxpayer support for buses, police protection, etc. and thus cannot violate some fundamental rights. Forced pregnancy tests violate the right to privacy.

By that logic I am giving up my right to privacy, because I also receive police protection. Private schools pay taxes, and in return they expect the government to provide those services. Just because the government provides those services doesn't mean the owners of that private school lose their rights.

Furthermore, nobody is forcing teens to get pregnancy tests. The teens and their parents entered a contract when they enrolled in the school, and nobody is forcing them to attend that school. If the contract says that you have to have a pregnancy test, then you are agreeing to get it when you sign that contract.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 8:55:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 8:50:00 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
Private schools are not entities that exist in an alternate universe; they enjoy our protections and taxpayer support for buses, police protection, etc. and thus cannot violate some fundamental rights. Forced pregnancy tests violate the right to privacy.

By that logic I am giving up my right to privacy, because I also receive police protection. Private schools pay taxes, and in return they expect the government to provide those services. Just because the government provides those services doesn't mean the owners of that private school lose their rights.

Furthermore, nobody is forcing teens to get pregnancy tests. The teens and their parents entered a contract when they enrolled in the school, and nobody is forcing them to attend that school. If the contract says that you have to have a pregnancy test, then you are agreeing to get it when you sign that contract.

That
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
HelterSkelter
Posts: 281
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:00:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 8:50:00 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
Private schools are not entities that exist in an alternate universe; they enjoy our protections and taxpayer support for buses, police protection, etc. and thus cannot violate some fundamental rights. Forced pregnancy tests violate the right to privacy.

By that logic I am giving up my right to privacy, because I also receive police protection. Private schools pay taxes, and in return they expect the government to provide those services. Just because the government provides those services doesn't mean the owners of that private school lose their rights.

Groups don't have rights (which is why affirmative action is wrong). You have a right to privacy. The private school does not.
Furthermore, nobody is forcing teens to get pregnancy tests. The teens and their parents entered a contract when they enrolled in the school, and nobody is forcing them to attend that school. If the contract says that you have to have a pregnancy test, then you are agreeing to get it when you sign that contract.

It's actually a new policy that is being forced on the students. It wasn't in the contracts that the older students signed, so it is being forced on them.
HelterSkelter
Posts: 281
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:01:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Freedom of association doesn't supercede the individual right to privacy. This is nothing but invasion of sexual privacy. It has no place in our schools.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:09:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Groups don't have rights (which is why affirmative action is wrong). You have a right to privacy. The private school does not.

Businesses and institutions have rights, because they are essentially a group of people. 1st Amendment rights cannot be practiced without a group after all, so it is silly to take people's rights away because they associate with a business or corporation.

It's actually a new policy that is being forced on the students. It wasn't in the contracts that the older students signed, so it is being forced on them.

I'm willing to bet that part of the contract said that students had to abide by any school rules that the school created throughout the school year, which essentially means that the school can impose rules such as the pregnancy test without violating the contract obligations.
MrBrooks
Posts: 831
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:11:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 9:01:48 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:
Freedom of association doesn't supercede the individual right to privacy. This is nothing but invasion of sexual privacy. It has no place in our schools.

Nobody is forcing them to take the test. They can enroll in a different school if the test is really that big of a deal to them. I do not support pregnancy tests, although I can see why they'd want to kick pregnant girls out of school. I predict that enrollment will drop for this school as it keeps getting bad press, and the policy will be revoked, which is what happens in free enterprise when a business makes a poor choice.
WMdebate
Posts: 19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:33:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Flagrant violation of the right to privacy, but really only if it's a public school. If it's a private school they can do whatever they want.
ravenwaen
Posts: 96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:02:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 7:52:39 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I agree with your point, but you are strawmanning the article. The article has nothing to do with being anti-sex. The article was about the growing problem of teenage pregnancies and the questionable methods chosen to combat it.

Kicking pregnant teens out of school doesn't "combat" teen pregnancy, it just discriminates against women. The people in favor of this policy are anti-sex fundies who are trying to punish girls for having sex.
ravenwaen
Posts: 96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:09:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 7:55:00 PM, lewis20 wrote:
If it's a private school why can't they do what they want?

At 8/7/2012 9:33:47 PM, WMdebate wrote:
Flagrant violation of the right to privacy, but really only if it's a public school. If it's a private school they can do whatever they want.

No private entity can "do whatever they want," and that includes private schools. Forfeiting public funding (as private schools do) doesn't exempt you from following the law. That school is breaking laws. Read the article.
ravenwaen
Posts: 96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:12:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/7/2012 9:11:47 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
I do not support pregnancy tests, although I can see why they'd want to kick pregnant girls out of school.

Why would you kick a pregnant woman out of school?

To punish her for having sex? Having sex isn't immoral or illegal. Bad reason.

To deter other female students from having sex in the future? Good luck with that. Bad reason.

To maintain a pregnancy-free environment? As if pregnant women are a taint on the whole school. Bad reason.

Seriously, why?