Jump to topic:

I change my mind

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:17:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So back in 2010 when the mid term elections were going strong, many of the active members were not posting hardly anything about the midterms and actual, real world politics. Everything that they argued was hypothetical and theoretical (just meet my big word quota for the day).

I remember thinking "Josh, I wish people would talk about things that were actually going on in the real world politics." But, now that there is smear thread after smear thread, nearly all based on fallacious logic, I'm thinking "dammit, shoulda kept my thoughts shut!"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:18:54 PM
Any real political discussion is full of this. It annoys the sh!t out of me.

It will calm down when the election is over. I hope.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 10:22:15 PM
At 8/7/2012 10:18:54 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Any real political discussion is full of this. It annoys the sh!t out of me.

It will calm down when the election is over. I hope.

then we'll have three years of peace and quiet <3
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 10:09:11 PM
At 8/8/2012 10:01:57 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Obama cannot run on his record, and he knows it. He is therefore using Chicago political methods of nonstop personal attacks.

Very true.
Tsar of DDO
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 10:09:49 PM
Obama cannot run on his record, and he knows it. He is therefore using Chicago political methods of nonstop personal attacks.

Oh, sure he can. He can tell people that he has driven millions and millions of Americans off of the unemployment payroll. No, they don't have jobs, but at least we aren't having to pay them anymore!

He can't even run off of what he is currently trying to do. I mean, imagine him giving this speech:

Obama Will Never Say:
We lefters are trying, right now, to pass a bill to give a 10% tax credit to businesses for new hiring expenses, limited to a certain amount, to help jump start the economy and create new jobs. A study found that this would create almost a million jobs!

Unfortunately, the Republicans are blocking this bill. They foolishly are trying to give businesses a 20% tax credit for new hiring expenses, without limit, to help jump start the economy and create jobs. Can you believe that? They are still pushing the agenda that lower taxes will create jobs! Why can't they see that only a 10% tax credit, and nothing else, will work as an incentive?

Vote Obama 2012 for tax cuts to create jobs. Don't you dare vote Romney 2012 for tax cuts to create jobs.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 10:15:29 PM

Nice, in a thread about not wanting to deal with the bullsh!t political attacks, your response is a mindless two sentence "he is a complete failure and can do nothing but attack attack attack!!!"

That is sad.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 10:27:16 PM
At 8/8/2012 10:15:29 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Nice, in a thread about not wanting to deal with the bullsh!t political attacks, your response is a mindless two sentence "he is a complete failure and can do nothing but attack attack attack!!!"

That is sad.

Why you attackin Oregon?
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 10:38:21 PM
At 8/7/2012 10:17:26 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So back in 2010 when the mid term elections were going strong, many of the active members were not posting hardly anything about the midterms and actual, real world politics. Everything that they argued was hypothetical and theoretical (just meet my big word quota for the day).

I remember thinking "Josh, I wish people would talk about things that were actually going on in the real world politics." But, now that there is smear thread after smear thread, nearly all based on fallacious logic, I'm thinking "dammit, shoulda kept my thoughts shut!"
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 12:21:23 AM

Chicago political methods? Are you sure he's not just swatting back a little of what he's been taking since the first year of his Presidency? That's honestly how you see this as being framed?
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 12:26:42 AM
At 8/9/2012 12:21:23 AM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:

Chicago political methods? Are you sure he's not just swatting back a little of what he's been taking since the first year of his Presidency? That's honestly how you see this as being framed?

Is it proper to 'swat back' at someone who never 'swatted' you in the first place?

Is every D justified in attacking any R because they can point to another R who attacked them or another D?

Vice versa?
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 12:33:27 AM
At 8/9/2012 12:26:42 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Is it proper to 'swat back' at someone who never 'swatted' you in the first place?

Is every D justified in attacking any R because they can point to another R who attacked them or another D?

Vice versa?

Well, before I touch on the first statement, let me deal with the latter: Romney wants to be a leading, if not the leading, representative of the Rs. They share an organization, and to lesser and greater extents, an ideology. They aren't atomic and uncoordinated (the opposite in-fact).

With respect to going negative, Romney & his backers were attacking Obama when he was running for the Republican nomination. If you impose an artificial timeframe, then you can talk about victim-Romney, if you treat Romney's campaign as an arc, then he's had to attack, due to Republican internal dynamics, since the beginning.
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 12:47:44 AM
At 8/9/2012 12:33:27 AM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:

Vice versa?

Well, before I touch on the first statement, let me deal with the latter: Romney wants to be a leading, if not the leading, representative of the Rs. They share an organization, and to lesser and greater extents, an ideology. They aren't atomic and uncoordinated (the opposite in-fact).

With respect to going negative, Romney & his backers were attacking Obama when he was running for the Republican nomination. If you impose an artificial timeframe, then you can talk about victim-Romney, if you treat Romney's campaign as an arc, then he's had to attack, due to Republican internal dynamics, since the beginning.

Not really talking about backers. Talking about the individuals. What did Romney attack Obama about?
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 6:44:32 AM

Neither can Romney. His economy was the 47th worst in the nation and he outsourced jobs using taxpayer money.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 7:40:09 AM
At 8/9/2012 12:47:44 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Vice versa?

Not really talking about backers. Talking about the individuals. What did Romney attack Obama about?

http://abcnews.go.com...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com...

http://www.usatoday.com...

http://www.latimes.com...
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 12:29:41 PM
At 8/9/2012 6:44:32 AM, HelterSkelter wrote:

Neither can Romney. His economy was the 47th worst in the nation and he outsourced jobs using taxpayer money.

Romney inherited the state with a massive deficit, and 47th in job creation. By the time he left the budget was balanced, and the state was 30th in job creation.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 12:37:33 PM
At 8/9/2012 7:40:09 AM, Ren wrote:
At 8/9/2012 12:47:44 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Vice versa?

http://abcnews.go.com...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com...

http://www.usatoday.com...

http://www.latimes.com...

Wow, you just don't get it, do you?

Welfare reform, war on religion, the economy, unemployment... how dare Romney focus on the issues.

That's the whole point Ren. Romney is focusing on the issues. Obama isn't. He criticizes Romney for doing exactly what Obama did with GM. He calls Romney a maybe-felon(it was his campaign staff, and his whitehouse staff, which he never denied)... Obama isn't focusing on the issues, Romney is.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 12:41:28 PM
Honestly, it's not even the inaccuracy.

I get that humans tend to that aggressive trait, and I know the present isn't some crazy change from the past, but honestly, sometimes I look around and just wonder why we all just can't get along.

*waits for everyone to stop mocking*

I know, I know, a stupid, tired, cliche, emotion-driven statement. How terrible of a sin I just committed. It's just in my personality. My emotion reigns supreme in almost every aspect of my life, and I just hate it when people are mad at each other/are in conflict.

But that's just my starry-eyed, wishful thinking, stating the obvious, post for you.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 12:44:48 PM
At 8/9/2012 6:44:32 AM, HelterSkelter wrote:

Er... Comparative Advantage?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 1:28:23 PM
At 8/9/2012 12:41:28 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

I get that humans tend to that aggressive trait, and I know the present isn't some crazy change from the past, but honestly, sometimes I look around and just wonder why we all just can't get along.

I know, I know, a stupid, tired, cliche, emotion-driven statement. How terrible of a sin I just committed. It's just in my personality. My emotion reigns supreme in almost every aspect of my life, and I just hate it when people are mad at each other/are in conflict.

But that's just my starry-eyed, wishful thinking, stating the obvious, post for you.

Well, there is hope. As humanity slowly gets more "civilized" the more violent gene hopefully will have been weeded out...I dont see that happening however,but I'm not an authority on the subject by any means
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 1:29:26 PM
At 8/9/2012 1:28:23 PM, thett3 wrote:

Well, there is hope. As humanity slowly gets more "civilized" the more violent gene hopefully will have been weeded out...I dont see that happening however,but I'm not an authority on the subject by any means

If we are anything like foxes, we could breed out aggression, but that would require that we sterilize anybody who commits a violent crime.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 7:00:27 PM
At 8/9/2012 1:29:26 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

If we are anything like foxes, we could breed out aggression, but that would require that we sterilize anybody who commits a violent crime.

tempting... but only if we can link violent natures to genetics, rather than nurture.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 10:22:28 PM
At 8/9/2012 7:00:27 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

tempting... but only if we can link violent natures to genetics, rather than nurture.

They did it in foxes.

Everyone would have to be initially raised in the same environment. Children who exhibit aggression will be separated from the rest of the pack.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 11:16:56 PM
At 8/9/2012 10:22:28 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

They did it in foxes.

Everyone would have to be initially raised in the same environment. Children who exhibit aggression will be separated from the rest of the pack.

I would definitely be exiled to "Violent Island"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 11:22:36 PM

They did it in foxes.

Just because it is genetic in foxes does not mean it is genetic in humans.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 12:07:55 AM
At 8/9/2012 11:22:36 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

They did it in foxes.

Just because it is genetic in foxes does not mean it is genetic in humans.

Did I say that it was?

The fact that it is genetic in foxes gives plausibility to the idea that it might be genetic in humans. Researchers were able to identify similar genes in wolves that aren't present in domesticated dogs.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 12:15:06 AM

Why do you assume that aggression- at least in moderate forms- will be negatively selected for? According to a basic ESS (Evolutionary Stable Strategy), it is impossible with natural "forces" to have a society which is solely based on complete and utter aggression or non-aggression; a mix between the two is needed because any extreme will positively select for deviants. I assume that some amount of non-lethal aggression towards human beings will forever remain in the population.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."