Jump to topic:

Death Penalty

HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:14:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've been thinking about the death penalty, and I'm not sure that I agree with it. I used to because I wanted to get rid of cold criminals, but now I realize that rehabilitation might be more humane and much more effective. What are some good arguments for the death penalty? Please don't talk about vengeance.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:17:47 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:14:22 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:
I've been thinking about the death penalty, and I'm not sure that I agree with it. I used to because I wanted to get rid of cold criminals, but now I realize that rehabilitation might be more humane and much more effective. What are some good arguments for the death penalty? Please don't talk about vengeance.

The whole purpose of the prison system is rehabilitation, not punishment. Some people cannot be rehabilitated; in those cases the death penalty is a viable option.

Too many people seem to think prison, and execution should be used to punish crimes. The purpose of our criminal system is to rehabilitate, not to punish. It's to correct their behavior, not to make ourselves feel better.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:20:21 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:17:47 PM, DanT wrote:

The whole purpose of the prison system is rehabilitation, not punishment.
I agree. Even when we punish we try to rehabilitate.
Some people cannot be rehabilitated; in those cases the death penalty is a viable option.

Why?

Suppose someone is a serial thief. He steals again and again and again and doesn't obey the law. Why is it justified to kill him?

Also, what is the threshold for rehabilitation? How do we know whether or not someone can be rehabilitated?

Our current system does not focus on rehabilitation; it centers on punishment.
Too many people seem to think prison, and execution should be used to punish crimes. The purpose of our criminal system is to rehabilitate, not to punish. It's to correct their behavior, not to make ourselves feel better.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:22:10 PM
I've been thinking about the death penalty, and I'm not sure that I agree with it. I used to because I wanted to get rid of cold criminals, but now I realize that rehabilitation might be more humane and much more effective. What are some good arguments for the death penalty? Please don't talk about vengeance.:

Whether you're on Death Row or are serving a Life sentence, you evidently did some exceptionally heinous things in order to get there. What good does it do to "rehabilitate" a prisoner who is only allowed out of their cell for 1 hour a day for the remainder of their life, especially when their only human interaction is limited to prison guards?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:24:01 PM
Suppose someone is a serial thief. He steals again and again and again and doesn't obey the law. Why is it justified to kill him?:

The death penalty in the United States is reserved only for capital murder, so the question is immaterial.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:24:49 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:22:10 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I've been thinking about the death penalty, and I'm not sure that I agree with it. I used to because I wanted to get rid of cold criminals, but now I realize that rehabilitation might be more humane and much more effective. What are some good arguments for the death penalty? Please don't talk about vengeance.:

Whether you're on Death Row or are serving a Life sentence, you evidently did some exceptionally heinous things in order to get there. What good does it do to "rehabilitate" a prisoner who is only allowed out of their cell for 1 hour a day for the remainder of their life, especially when their only human interaction is limited to prison guards?

Well, for one thing if we kill someone we are just as bad as they are. Also, you are assuming the status quo. We don't currently rehabilitate prisoners, but we should do it and we can do it.
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:25:10 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:24:01 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Suppose someone is a serial thief. He steals again and again and again and doesn't obey the law. Why is it justified to kill him?:

The death penalty in the United States is reserved only for capital murder, so the question is immaterial.

Why can't murderers be rehabilitated?
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:29:42 PM
Balstoy Prison is a great example of a prison that rehabilitates murders and rapists. The recidivism rate is less than 1/3 of our recidivism rate.
Magicr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:31:05 PM
The main problem I see with the death penalty is that we are imperfect humans. This means that it is likely that the death penalty will not be applied fairly, i.e. blacks are more likely to get the death penalty than whites. The other thing is that people can, and have been wrongly convicted. Once you kill someone, you can't undo it.
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:31:38 PM

The whole purpose of the prison system is rehabilitation, not punishment. Some people cannot be rehabilitated; in those cases the death penalty is a viable option.

I amy be wrong here. I am often wrong, but it doesn't seem like the American prison system is that much about rehabilitation. Sentences are long. Most if not all of them are carried out in closed prisons. There is bery little "normalization" if the purpose is rehabilitation.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:35:42 PM

(I feel) the death penalty is good for people that we will be unlikely to rehabilitate. People who can never be safely reintegrated into society might as well be given the death penalty.

In general, rehabilitation is a preferable system.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:37:07 PM
I agree that the American prison system is flawed, and some of the drug laws are draconian. It definitely needs to be changed, as it is a blemish on the reputation of our society and immoral. While I think the death penalty should remain a decision made by states, I feel that it should always be on the table for military trials, because of the nature of the military and the necessity for good order and discipline.

I personally would not want to have the death penalty in my state, because courts make mistakes sometimes, and a mistake here will cost a man or woman their life.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:44:46 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:24:49 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:
At 8/9/2012 3:22:10 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Well, for one thing if we kill someone we are just as bad as they are. Also, you are assuming the status quo. We don't currently rehabilitate prisoners, but we should do it and we can do it.:

Please note that I'm not arguing for/against the death penalty, only pointing out that rehabilitating death row/Life inmates is a fruitless campaign. Moreover, the prison system does rehabilitate paroleable offenders. And that's the whole point. You rehabilitate people that have a high liklihood of reemerging into society. With the really dangerous one's, you simply contain them so they can't hurt anyone else.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:47:35 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:25:10 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:

Why can't murderers be rehabilitated?:

Because murderers, in general, don't ever get out of prison. What are you rehabilitating them for, when the only real purpose of rehabilitation is making bad people play nice in the future?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:51:57 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:29:42 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:
Balstoy Prison is a great example of a prison that rehabilitates murders and rapists. The recidivism rate is less than 1/3 of our recidivism rate.:

Some people cannot be rehabilitated. You can't "rehabilitate" a homicidal sociopath no matter how much therapy you provide for them.

As with most things, the nature of the crime committed should dictate the appropriate response. Sending a serial killer or serial rapist back out on to the street makes a mockery of the victims and makes you complicit in the deaths/rapes that are almost certain to occur with or without rehabilitation.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:54:15 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:31:05 PM, Magicr wrote:
The main problem I see with the death penalty is that we are imperfect humans. This means that it is likely that the death penalty will not be applied fairly, i.e. blacks are more likely to get the death penalty than whites. The other thing is that people can, and have been wrongly convicted. Once you kill someone, you can't undo it.:

If this many people were exonerated while on Death Row, I can only imagine how many innocent men and women have died.

http://www.innocenceproject.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:56:49 PM
There is no guarantee that they will not commit the crime once again. While we can release criminals like thieves, we do it on the basis that even if they commit the crime again, it won't be permanent. That means whatever property they take away or damage isn't going to do permanent damage on anyone's well-being. Murderers are a different case.

You also have to explain why they should be rehabilitated. What does it achieve for them and the society?
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 3:57:58 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:51:57 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Balstoy Prison is a great example of a prison that rehabilitates murders and rapists. The recidivism rate is less than 1/3 of our recidivism rate.:

Some people cannot be rehabilitated. You can't "rehabilitate" a homicidal sociopath no matter how much therapy you provide for them.

Sociopaths have mental disorders and thus are more properly relegated to mental facilities.
As with most things, the nature of the crime committed should dictate the appropriate response. Sending a serial killer or serial rapist back out on to the street makes a mockery of the victims and makes you complicit in the deaths/rapes that are almost certain to occur with or without rehabilitation.

The point is that rehabilitating them reduces the chances that they will offend. Balstoy Prison rehabilitates the worst people in Norwegian society (people we keep in jail or kill) and they have significantly lower recidivism rates than the least-worst individuals in our jails.
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:00:15 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:47:35 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Why can't murderers be rehabilitated?:

Because murderers, in general, don't ever get out of prison. What are you rehabilitating them for, when the only real purpose of rehabilitation is making bad people play nice in the future?

Like I said, you are presuming the status quo. We don't currently let them out, but we could.

Also, the most hardened criminals commit crime in prisons. Rehabilitation would keep our prisons safer.
HelterSkelter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:01:39 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:56:49 PM, Mirza wrote:
There is no guarantee that they will not commit the crime once again.
There's no guarantee that anybody will not commit a crime. That's not a reason to jail everyone.
While we can release criminals like thieves, we do it on the basis that even if they commit the crime again, it won't be permanent. That means whatever property they take away or damage isn't going to do permanent damage on anyone's well-being. Murderers are a different case.

See below.
You also have to explain why they should be rehabilitated. What does it achieve for them and the society?
Rehabilitation is better for society (lower crimes rates) and for the victims. Restorative justice programs actually help victims cope with crimes more easily than retributive justice programs.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:03:05 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:31:38 PM, OllerupMand wrote:

I amy be wrong here. I am often wrong, but it doesn't seem like the American prison system is that much about rehabilitation. Sentences are long. Most if not all of them are carried out in closed prisons. There is bery little "normalization" if the purpose is rehabilitation.

There is a reason it's called a correctional facility. Originally it was bout rehabilitation, but we shifted away from rehabilitation and toward punishment.
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:05:08 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:57:58 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:
At 8/9/2012 3:51:57 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Sociopaths have mental disorders and thus are more properly relegated to mental facilities.

The point is that rehabilitating them reduces the chances that they will offend. Balstoy Prison rehabilitates the worst people in Norwegian society (people we keep in jail or kill) and they have significantly lower recidivism rates than the least-worst individuals in our jails.

You can't compare Balstøy in Norway with an American prison. The laws, rules and mentality are just to different.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:06:29 PM
Sociopaths have mental disorders and thus are more properly relegated to mental facilities.:

They will never relegate someone like BTK or the Green River Killer to a mental hospital for security reasons. Whether they're sick or not doesn't diminish how dangerous or homicidal they are.

The point is that rehabilitating them reduces the chances that they will offend. Balstoy Prison rehabilitates the worst people in Norwegian society (people we keep in jail or kill) and they have significantly lower recidivism rates than the least-worst individuals in our jails.:

Norwegian prisons also pale in comparison to US prisons, which manufacture violence. I agree that rehabilitation should be offered to people with sentences that will likely have them leave prison, just don't see the point for people with Life sentences.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:07:29 PM
At 8/9/2012 4:01:39 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:
There's no guarantee that anybody will not commit a crime. That's not a reason to jail everyone.
Did you read my response in full Ma'am? I distinguished between committing one crime to committing another, far more serious one. Murder is permanent and vastly different to many other crimes. If we make a mistake with a murderer, there's a chance he'll do permanent damage to innocent life once more. If we make a mistake with a thief, the best he can do is do rather temporary damage, which is to take away property from others.

Rehabilitation is better for society (lower crimes rates) and for the victims. Restorative justice programs actually help victims cope with crimes more easily than retributive justice programs.
It's not always better, that's for sure. And not every criminal deserves it even if we know for a certain that he can be rehabilitated. Someone like Anders Breivik don't deserve to live. Take away the lives of many, and yours is free to be taken with them.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:09:10 PM
At 8/9/2012 3:20:21 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:

The whole purpose of the prison system is rehabilitation, not punishment.
I agree. Even when we punish we try to rehabilitate.
Some people cannot be rehabilitated; in those cases the death penalty is a viable option.

Why?

Suppose someone is a serial thief. He steals again and again and again and doesn't obey the law. Why is it justified to kill him?

Because the purpose of the state is to protect the life, liberty, and property of it's citizens. If someone is repetitively stealing other people's property, and there is no hope of rehabilitation, than we only have 2 options; execution, or exile. In today's world exile is not a very likely option.

Also, what is the threshold for rehabilitation? How do we know whether or not someone can be rehabilitated?

It would be up to a jury and a judge to determine whether or not rehabilitation is possible. Case law would likely create the determining guidelines.
Our current system does not focus on rehabilitation; it centers on punishment.

I should have been more clear, our original system focused on rehabilitation.
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:10:07 PM
At 8/9/2012 4:07:29 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/9/2012 4:01:39 PM, HelterSkelter wrote:
Did you read my response in full Ma'am? I distinguished between committing one crime to committing another, far more serious one. Murder is permanent and vastly different to many other crimes. If we make a mistake with a murderer, there's a chance he'll do permanent damage to innocent life once more. If we make a mistake with a thief, the best he can do is do rather temporary damage, which is to take away property from others.

It's not always better, that's for sure. And not every criminal deserves it even if we know for a certain that he can be rehabilitated. Someone like Anders Breivik don't deserve to live. Take away the lives of many, and yours is free to be taken with them.

Actuelly I think your wrong there. Breivik don't deserve to die. He desrve to be cured for his mental illnes. Realise what he have done and then live the rest of his life with that knowledge.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:12:22 PM
Like I said, you are presuming the status quo. We don't currently let them out, but we could.

Also, the most hardened criminals commit crime in prisons. Rehabilitation would keep our prisons safer.:

So, you would want serial killers to go back out into the killing field's? F*ck the families of those slain, I take it?

You do realize that serial killer's are very cunning people who would say whatever they think you want to hear if it gets them their way. What assurance do you have that the rehabilitative process would work?

If you were the warden and you let a dangerous child rapist out of prison and that inmate raped another little kid, I'd seek to have you put away for life.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:13:30 PM
At 8/9/2012 4:06:29 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Sociopaths have mental disorders and thus are more properly relegated to mental facilities.:

They will never relegate someone like BTK or the Green River Killer to a mental hospital for security reasons. Whether they're sick or not doesn't diminish how dangerous or homicidal they are.

The point is that rehabilitating them reduces the chances that they will offend. Balstoy Prison rehabilitates the worst people in Norwegian society (people we keep in jail or kill) and they have significantly lower recidivism rates than the least-worst individuals in our jails.:

Norwegian prisons also pale in comparison to US prisons, which manufacture violence. I agree that rehabilitation should be offered to people with sentences that will likely have them leave prison, just don't see the point for people with Life sentences.

Life sentences are cruel and unusual; not to mention a drain on the tax payer. Due to life sentences we are constantly building more prisons, and increasing the funding for prison. Instead of a life-sentence, they should get death. They also should not wait around for ever, for the sentence to be carried out.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:17:48 PM
At 8/9/2012 4:13:30 PM, DanT wrote:
At 8/9/2012 4:06:29 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Life sentences are cruel and unusual; not to mention a drain on the tax payer. Due to life sentences we are constantly building more prisons, and increasing the funding for prison. Instead of a life-sentence, they should get death. They also should not wait around for ever, for the sentence to be carried out.

The death penalty is actually a bigger drain on the taxpayer when you take into account appeals and that entire process. If your first priority was reducing the strain on the taxpayer then I think anti-DP is the position to be.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2012 4:18:19 PM
At 8/9/2012 4:10:07 PM, OllerupMand wrote:
Actuelly I think your wrong there. Breivik don't deserve to die. He desrve to be cured for his mental illnes. Realise what he have done and then live the rest of his life with that knowledge.
First, it's very hard to tell whether he has any severe mental illness or only minor issues. Reports show that he doesn't have what has been claimed by people who hold your opinion. Second, even if he is released, you understand that it would leave a hugely negative example for others to follow, right? Many murderers are able to cheat their way through the court system, and end up being regarded as mentally ill only to escape punishment. Lastly, explain what benefit the society gets from releasing a murderer like Breivik. He can only pretend to be very ill, because there's no certainty that he actually is.