Jump to topic:

Does the death penalty deter crime?

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 3:52:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I find it logical that it would. Mainly because the criminals prefer life without parole. So it would logically deter crine if the threat was high enough. And the correlation in times of moratorium and post moratorium have remarkable correlation. When using data from the FBI we see states with a DP their crimes fall faster then in abolitionist states (mere conparisons of Dakota to Texas is misleading) but no study really proves the issue...

For example, before economists made studies too complex for criminologists (they can't always read the complex equations used by Erlich and others) they where never able to find a deterrent effect, usually finding no difference.

The first study showing deterrence was authored by Ehrlich. Before his study NO credible work agreed with his assumption. Multiple studies failed to replicate his results, and his study had many methodological errors.

Ehrlich still was an advocate of his work. He published on other study replicating the results... After investigation was found to have flaws and was thrown into the junk science pile.

Then an initial wave of studies came out (over 100) after these studies. Not until the late 1990s, these studies found no deterrent effect.

These new studies had the same problem as its earlier counterparts. The models [usually] are not robust, and any change in the sensitive economic equation leads to large changes in the results. So any minor mistake could ruin any one of these studies. This also means the authors can change results based on the desire of their authors. The many flaws in these studies has been shown in academic studies (example Donahue and Wolfers offer evidence that these studies are weak evidence). Many call these complicated economic studies "voodoo economics".

The only way a study can prove deterrence is if they find moratoriums increase crime, and more DP usage lowers crime. Using basic statistics shows a casual relationship. However most studies find the evidence for deterrence weak, and that the majority of research disagrees with a deterrence hypothesis.

I don't know the answer, any thoughts?

Reference:
Jon Sorensen and Rocky Leann Pilgrim "Lethal injection: Capital Punishment in Texas during the modern era," University of Texas Press, 2006
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 3:54:42 PM
I agree with Rothbard. "Another common liberal complaint is that the death penalty does not deter murder from being committed. All sorts of statistics are slung back and forth trying to "prove" or disprove this claim. While it is impossible to prove the degree of deterrence, it seems indisputable that some murders would be deterred by the death penalty. Sometimes the liberal argument comes perilously close to maintaining that no punishment deters any crime — a manifestly absurd view that could easily be tested by removing all legal penalties for nonpayment of income tax and seeing if there is any reduction in the taxes paid. (Wanna bet?) Furthermore, the murderer himself is certainly "deterred" from any repetition of his crime — and quite permanently."

http://mises.org...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 3:59:01 PM
If killing is wrong, killing shouldn't be used to punish a murdered. You lose the moral high ground, and basically refute the idea that killing is indeed wrong.

It is more expensive.

It is cruel and unusual punishment.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 3:59:34 PM
At 8/10/2012 3:59:01 PM, Contra wrote:
If killing is wrong, killing shouldn't be used to punish a murderer. You lose the moral high ground, and basically refute the idea that killing is indeed wrong.

It is more expensive.

Fixed
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 3:59:34 PM
At 8/10/2012 3:54:42 PM, thett3 wrote:
I agree with Rothbard. "Another common liberal complaint is that the death penalty does not deter murder from being committed. All sorts of statistics are slung back and forth trying to "prove" or disprove this claim. While it is impossible to prove the degree of deterrence, it seems indisputable that some murders would be deterred by the death penalty. Sometimes the liberal argument comes perilously close to maintaining that no punishment deters any crime — a manifestly absurd view that could easily be tested by removing all legal penalties for nonpayment of income tax and seeing if there is any reduction in the taxes paid. (Wanna bet?) Furthermore, the murderer himself is certainly "deterred" from any repetition of his crime — and quite permanently."

Recidivism is a non problem. Amongst murderers it's the lowest group. Citing a few instances is laughable (like what prodp.com did).

I never argued against deterrence, only it's studies.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:00:48 PM
If killing is wrong, killing shouldn't be used to punish a murdered. You lose the moral high ground, and basically refute the idea that killing is indeed wrong.

That is a possibility.

It is more expensive.

No it's not. See the source I cited? It has long rebuttals to that analysis.

No it's not...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:01:56 PM

Killing isn't wrong. Murder is wrong. There's a distinction, and you know there is and saying "two wrongs dont make a right" is just ignorant.

It is more expensive.

Possibly. Although most studies indicating that have certain flaws (like, comparing death row with a medium security prison--not where you would put capital murderers) but either way thats irrelevant.

False.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:03:01 PM
At 8/10/2012 3:59:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Recidivism is a non problem. Amongst murderers it's the lowest group. Citing a few instances is laughable (like what prodp.com did).

You wouldn't agree that its a non problem if you had a family member murderer by a killer who struck again. It's true that its rare, but it still happens even within prison walls at times (not just against other inmates).
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:04:38 PM
I think inmates should be forced to do productive work in prison, and the revenue generated from that work should be given directly to the victim or family of victim for the remainder of the prisoner's sentence.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:04:56 PM
No, and it's foolish to think so. Criminals DO NOT WANT TO GET CAUGHT, nor do they expect to. If they expected to get caught, they wouldn't commit crimes to begin with. To them, getting life in jail and getting death might as well be the same thing. And also, there is always a point in a crime where it escalates. It goes from breaking and entering to felony murder. It goes from assault to murder. Criminals don't think to themselves, "Well if I stop now they'll just get me for 30 years." No. They act without thinking.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:05:40 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:04:38 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
I think inmates should be forced to do productive work in prison, and the revenue generated from that work should be given directly to the victim or family of victim for the remainder of the prisoner's sentence.

^ That. Send them to work camps with shock collars that kill instantly if they set foot outside the property. If the family doesnt want him, the slave should be sold to the highest bidder
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:06:59 PM
I don't think there are any moral implications in killing someone that meets the following criteria:

1) Has intentionally killed multiple people.
2) Has proved that they cannot be rehabilitated.

I however, do not think the state is competant enough to be given the responsibility of issuing the death penalty.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:07:52 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:04:56 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
No, and it's foolish to think so. Criminals DO NOT WANT TO GET CAUGHT, nor do they expect to. If they expected to get caught, they wouldn't commit crimes to begin with. To them, getting life in jail and getting death might as well be the same thing.

That certainly explains why 95% of innmates fight their death sentences tooth and nail.

And also, there is always a point in a crime where it escalates. It goes from breaking and entering to felony murder. It goes from assault to murder. Criminals don't think to themselves, "Well if I stop now they'll just get me for 30 years." No. They act without thinking.

You're assuming hot blooded crimes. Cold blooded, premeditated murder (the kind that is punished by death) does include and analysis of the potential hazards to committing the crime.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:08:19 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:01:56 PM, thett3 wrote:

Killing isn't wrong. Murder is wrong. There's a distinction, and you know there is and saying "two wrongs dont make a right" is just ignorant.

It is more expensive.

Possibly. Although most studies indicating that have certain flaws (like, comparing death row with a medium security prison--not where you would put capital murderers) but either way thats irrelevant.

The GAO says:

"In recent years, studies, and articles, and reports have been published on the costs associated with the death penalty at a state level. They have generally concluded that, contrary to what many people beleive, death sentence cassis cost more then non-death cases. However, we found these conclusions were not adequately supported. Most of these studies dud not actually compare death sentence cases with non-death sentence cases, and some of these studies did not contain actual cost data. Further, even in cases where cost data were cited, these data were incomplete."

See source in OP

False.
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:08:50 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:05:40 PM, thett3 wrote:

^ That. Send them to work camps with shock collars that kill instantly if they set foot outside the property. If the family doesnt want him, the slave should be sold to the highest bidder

I don't agree with going that far. I simply think that factories should be built into prisons, and that the workers should work at or below minimum wage. Sentences should be determined by how much they pay back to the families, and not by time. However, I feel that the money paid back to the families should have to be earned in the factory.
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:10:15 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:06:59 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
I don't think there are any moral implications in killing someone that meets the following criteria:

1) Has intentionally killed multiple people.
Yep. Like soldiers.
2) Has proved that they cannot be rehabilitated.

I however, do not think the state is competant enough to be given the responsibility of issuing the death penalty.
Sapere Aude!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:10:23 PM
To what degree it's a deterrence is based on the individual. There's plenty of murderers who wouldn't think twice about the consequences of their actions in the heat of the moment. If it were a really effective deterrence, there wouldn't be murder, and yet there's plenty of it.

People weigh cost vs gain all the time to determine whether what they want is worth the risk. That goes for lying, cheating, stealing, etc.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:11:11 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:03:01 PM, thett3 wrote:

You wouldn't agree that its a non problem if you had a family member murderer by a killer who struck again. It's true that its rare, but it still happens even within prison walls at times (not just against other inmates).

That's fallacy. Appeal to emotion.

Statistically those on LWOP rarely commit crimes again. And the rate of recidivism is so low the prison guards assign murderers to the easiest jobs (for example, they clean the watch houses even if no ones around).
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:11:33 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:08:50 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
At 8/10/2012 4:05:40 PM, thett3 wrote:

I don't agree with going that far. I simply think that factories should be built into prisons, and that the workers should work at or below minimum wage. Sentences should be determined by how much they pay back to the families, and not by time. However, I feel that the money paid back to the families should have to be earned in the factory.

Unfortunately, taking away a loved one is a debt that cannot be repaid. Ever. The killer owes their next of kin an eternity of servitude. I would only support the death penalty if thats what the owner (next of kin) wishes and there is an incredible amount of evidence of guilt. Otherwise, enslavement replaces life without parole.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:12:31 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:10:23 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
To what degree it's a deterrence is based on the individual. There's plenty of murderers who wouldn't think twice about the consequences of their actions in the heat of the moment. If it were a really effective deterrence, there wouldn't be murder, and yet there's plenty of it.

People weigh cost vs gain all the time to determine whether what they want is worth the risk. That goes for lying, cheating, stealing, etc.

I am aware of deterrence theory. I agree the DP can deter. But it's academic support is zero.
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:12:44 PM
Yep. Like soldiers.

Soldiers kill, or they die. A Soldier is not reasonable for the violent acts that he commits, so long as he is acting within the confines of his mission and general orders.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:13:27 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:11:11 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 8/10/2012 4:03:01 PM, thett3 wrote:

That's fallacy. Appeal to emotion.

Statistically those on LWOP rarely commit crimes again. And the rate of recidivism is so low the prison guards assign murderers to the easiest jobs (for example, they clean the watch houses even if no ones around).

Of course it's an appeal to emotion. Having a loved one killed is an emotional thing.

You could well be right--the vast majority of murderers have no intention of killing again. The vast majority of murderers should also not be executed. But we can both agree that in exceptional circumstances, someone is too dangerous to be left alive.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:13:43 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:12:44 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
Yep. Like soldiers.

Soldiers kill, or they die. A Soldier is not reasonable for the violent acts that he commits, so long as he is acting within the confines of his mission and general orders.

Yet they fit perfectly into your category for who we should as society kill.
Sapere Aude!
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:14:06 PM
The threat being high enough would not logically deter crime if criminals don't expect to be caught. Most criminals don't commit murder expecting to be locked up for life. They do it while expecting to escape scot-free. As such their primary focus will be on evading detection and arrest as opposed to the consequences should such evasion fail.

Ehrlich's study was proven false by the National Academy of Science and by Dartmouth University as well.

I'll post more on this later.
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:14:20 PM
Unfortunately, taking away a loved one is a debt that cannot be repaid. Ever. The killer owes their next of kin an eternity of servitude. I would only support the death penalty if thats what the owner (next of kin) wishes and there is an incredible amount of evidence of guilt. Otherwise, enslavement replaces life without parole.

It all depends on the manner in which the person was killed. For example: there is a huge difference between manslaughter and first degree murder.
MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:14:55 PM

I'm sorry, I thought we used common sense on this forum?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:15:11 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:14:20 PM, MrBrooks wrote:

It all depends on the manner in which the person was killed. For example: there is a huge difference between manslaughter and first degree murder.

Very true. I'll amend my statement to in certain circumstances
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:16:06 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:14:55 PM, MrBrooks wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought we used common sense on this forum?

I'm sorry, I thought we didn't place the value of people's lives into illogical absolutes that have no foundation in rational thought.
Sapere Aude!
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:16:19 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:07:52 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/10/2012 4:04:56 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
No, and it's foolish to think so. Criminals DO NOT WANT TO GET CAUGHT, nor do they expect to. If they expected to get caught, they wouldn't commit crimes to begin with. To them, getting life in jail and getting death might as well be the same thing.

That certainly explains why 95% of innmates fight their death sentences tooth and nail.

Of course they do once they've been arrested.

Up until the moment that a criminal gets caught, they don't expect to be caught, and they aren't thinking about the consequences.

And also, there is always a point in a crime where it escalates. It goes from breaking and entering to felony murder. It goes from assault to murder. Criminals don't think to themselves, "Well if I stop now they'll just get me for 30 years." No. They act without thinking.

You're assuming hot blooded crimes. Cold blooded, premeditated murder (the kind that is punished by death) does include and analysis of the potential hazards to committing the crime.

I reiterate, someone who is going to commit murder does not expect to be caught. No matter what the killer will get at least life in prison when he's caught, and if that alone isn't enough to deter them, it's doubtful that the possibility of the death penalty is. If the killer planned ahead, don't you think they'd be confident that they'll be able to get away and thus they won't have to consider the consequences?
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2012 4:17:43 PM
At 8/10/2012 4:12:31 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 8/10/2012 4:10:23 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I am aware of deterrence theory. I agree the DP can deter. But it's academic support is zero.:

I'm saying the DP is not that much of a deterrence. As has been pointed out, people simply don't want to get caught, period, and will weigh the cost vs gain. If they think there is a high chance of getting caught, they probably won't do it, or will wait for a more advantageous time.

But I don't think the DP itself is much of a deterrence. I think you're just as likely to commit murder in a DP state versus a State that doesn't have the death penalty.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)