Jump to topic:

I just heard he picked Paul Ryan!

1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:23:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
On Facebook, one of the people I liked (State of Daniel, not sure you know him) just announced Ryan was picked as Romney's VP. Although it could be a false alarm.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
1Historygenius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:24:30 AM
However, speculation is strongly on Ryan, this will be interesting.
"The chief business of the American people is business." - Calvin Coolidge

Latest debate - Reagan was a better President than Obama: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:25:20 AM
It's been confirmed by several media outlets..

Should be an interesting campaign now here in Wisconsin.. Although I doubt the state goes red, it could be close and should be fun to watch..
Debate.org Moderator
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:27:38 AM
Gonna be a hell of a fight in Wisconsin now if this holds true.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:29:31 AM
Just got my own confirmation now.. It's a done deal.. Ryan is the VP choice..

I would have preferred Condi, but oh well.. A guy from Wisconsin is kinda cool for those from WI like myself..

I don't plan on voting cuz I wana avoid jury duty, but it'll be more fun to watch this campaign now..
Debate.org Moderator
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:30:34 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:29:31 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

From what/who???

I would have preferred Condi, but oh well.. A guy from Wisconsin is kinda cool for those from WI like myself..

I don't plan on voting cuz I wana avoid jury duty, but it'll be more fun to watch this campaign now..
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:31:20 AM

I wonder what will happen if (Paul Ryan) is picked, which he probably is. If the Romney campaign loses, would Paul Ryan go back to being a Representative, or would he need to be elected again? I can't remember at the moment.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:32:14 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:30:34 AM, thett3 wrote:

From what/who???

I'm not one to name drop.. but this should suffice as enough of a confirmation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Debate.org Moderator
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:32:40 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:31:20 AM, Contra wrote:

I wonder what will happen if (Paul Ryan) is picked, which he probably is. If the Romney campaign loses, would Paul Ryan go back to being a Representative, or would he need to be elected again? I can't remember at the moment.

When Obama won the presidency, he resigned his senate seat, and McCain is still a senator...perhaps they were on the ballot as president and senate? Interesting question actually, I'm surprised I dont know this 0.0
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:34:01 AM

He will go back to being a rep in Wisconsin
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:34:28 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:34:01 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

He will go back to being a rep in Wisconsin

Rather, he will retain his position as a rep in Wisconsin
Debate.org Moderator
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:36:10 AM
what a terrible pick! I don't get it, he's way too far to the right. Perhaps its to excite some people from the right to vote.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:37:41 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:36:10 AM, darkkermit wrote:
what a terrible pick! I don't get it, he's way too far to the right. Perhaps its to excite some people from the right to vote.

It strengthens the argument that Romney means business on the economy. I mean, Romney is a moderate so it makes sense that he's choose a conservative, especially from a swing state
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:40:05 AM
Guys, check out the intrade market. A 324.7% rise on Ryan just now haha
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:40:46 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:37:41 AM, thett3 wrote:

It strengthens the argument that Romney means business on the economy. I mean, Romney is a moderate so it makes sense that he's choose a conservative, especially from a swing state

But Romney should be trying to appeal to moderates as much as possible. Its basic game theory bur I guess since the US has a system in which you don't have to vote, the VP pick could cause more republicans and libertarians to come out to vote.
Open borders debate:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:40:54 AM

Yeah.. that would seem to be the logic behind it.. Choosing a moderate wouldn't help him with the base, and choosing someone to the left of Romney would have meant picking Al Franken
Debate.org Moderator
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:41:57 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:40:46 AM, darkkermit wrote:

But Romney should be trying to appeal to moderates as much as possible. Its basic game theory bur I guess since the US has a system in which you don't have to vote, the VP pick could cause more republicans and libertarians to come out to vote.

Yeah, it really does. Like, it honestly makes me want to vote for Romney more (I was considering Johnson--but we've already discussed voting behavior)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:43:33 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:41:57 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/11/2012 12:40:46 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Yeah, it really does. Like, it honestly makes me want to vote for Romney more (I was considering Johnson--but we've already discussed voting behavior)

i suppose that it is true. The new VP pick makes me want to vote for Mitt Romney....and then assassinate him if he becomes president.
Open borders debate:
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:52:47 AM
It'd be cool if Ryan is in position to become the first president ever from Wisconsin, I may consider thinking about voting in this election if I happen to have the day off of work, don't have to wait in live for more than 30 seconds and can't find anything better to do.. and if the jury pool is no longer also based on voter registration..

In all seriousness though, I haven't missed voting in a presidential election since I could vote, but I'm still not enthused about this one..
Debate.org Moderator
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:56:22 AM
Wow, so I guess the Romney campaign are really buying into, intentionally or not, Obama's message that this is a vision vs. vision election? Seems like a draught of poison for Mitt: if he ignores Ryan's budget, he hands the Democrats ammunition, for example with seniors, in exchange for "just" a base energizing VP pick, whereas if he embraces it to some extent and wins, his moderation as President will leave many conservatives feeling betrayed, and so impair his reelection chances.

My guess would be that this was imposed upon him from outside? Although better minds than mine will have been scouring this subject, so maybe it's a wise pick after all.
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 12:56:53 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:52:47 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
It'd be cool if Ryan is in position to become the first president ever from Wisconsin, I may consider thinking about voting in this election if I happen to have the day off of work, don't have to wait in live for more than 30 seconds and can't find anything better to do.. and if the jury pool is no longer also based on voter registration..

In all seriousness though, I haven't missed voting in a presidential election since I could vote, but I'm still not enthused about this one..

Do you think Wisconsin has a greater chance of going red this year or do you think this wont have much of an effect?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 1:00:53 AM
At 8/11/2012 12:56:53 AM, thett3 wrote:

Do you think Wisconsin has a greater chance of going red this year or do you think this wont have much of an effect?

I have a hard time believing that WI is going to flip red. Romney will have the governor campaigning for him, the state is fed up with the last decade of democrats as shown by the election turn-over and the recall, and Ryan is fairly popular... So anything could happen I suppose..

As always it will depend on voter turnout in Madison and Milwaukee, if the cities vote in decent numbers it will go blue as usual..
Debate.org Moderator
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 1:08:04 AM

I dont think that people care that much about the VP, I'll bet nobody here can name John Kerry's VP and whih state he came from back in 2004. Biden is from Delaware which has always been a blue state so we can't tell of his pick changed anything, so this would be wry interesting to see if Ryan can give Romney Wisconsin
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 1:10:52 AM
At 8/11/2012 1:08:04 AM, imabench wrote:

I dont think that people care that much about the VP, I'll bet nobody here can name John Kerry's VP and whih state he came from back in 2004. Biden is from Delaware which has always been a blue state so we can't tell of his pick changed anything, so this would be wry interesting to see if Ryan can give Romney Wisconsin

John Edwards. Not sure about the state...

Nontheless, you're right. Although in 2000 and 2004 Wisconsin was went blue by literally less than a percentage point. 2008 was a different story, but I think Wisconsin will return to its tossup status since 2008 was an amazing year for democrats...guess we'll see
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 1:11:14 AM

John Edwards from Massachusetts.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 1:11:46 AM
At 8/11/2012 1:10:52 AM, thett3 wrote:

Nontheless, you're right. Although in 2000 and 2004 Wisconsin was went blue by literally less than a percentage point. 2008 was a different story, but I think Wisconsin will return to its tossup status since 2008 was an amazing year for democrats...guess we'll see

i didn't cheat and look at yours btw.
Open borders debate:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 1:14:50 AM
At 8/11/2012 1:11:46 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Did you cheat and look at Google?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 1:16:07 AM
At 8/11/2012 1:14:50 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/11/2012 1:11:46 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Did you cheat and look at Google?

No actually.
Open borders debate: