Jump to topic:

Bioregionalism

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 6:35:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I just discovered this new term while looking up nomination news for a British Columbian electoral riding.

Basically, from what I gleaned off of Wikipedia and some other sources, the idea is to create political divisions based on ecological zones; ie., watershed, flora/fauna ranges, etc. It does also claim that regions should also emphasize "local populations, knowledge, and solutions."

Granted I don't know much about it, but I'm not in full support of it in terms of political divisions; those can be based slightly on ecological divisions, and they are in some cases, but it ignores a lot of the historical, political and demographic ideas that are also present and, in my opinion, more important.

But, is any one on this site a bioregionalist? Can you explain the term a little more? What does everyone else think about this idea as well?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2009 7:56:38 PM
It's a cousin of nationalism. Nationalism says allegiance to the closest plot of soil to you ending at arbitrary distances, and all bioregionalism is, is changing those distances to more accurately reflect what biologists say instead of what dead guys several hundred/thousand years ago said.

I'm against it, though to be honest I don't think anyone actually buys this concept. But that's not particularly relevant. Bioregionalism is just as ridiculous as nationalism.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
regebro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2009 12:48:45 AM
It sounds extremely weird. I do not understand the purpose of it. Why on earth would you want states/regions be all the same?

From Wikipedia: "The bioregionalist perspective opposes a homogeneous economy and consumer culture"

Eh... so they want to make regions homogenous? Logic?

There seems to be no benefit to this.
So prove me wrong, then.