Jump to topic:

Blood on Everything

Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 8:52:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm curious as to how aware some of the denizens of this site are of the fact that there is blood on just about everything.

I've touched on this before -- my perspectives on this issue have pervaded many of my comments and overall perspectives that I've shared.

See, I know that most people, thanks to the film industry at least, are aware of the fact that a lot of our precious metals and gems derive from Africa, and help to fuel social discord there. However, it goes much deeper than jewelry. Almost the entirety of the natural resources that circulate the First and Second World derive from the Third World. The world is actually divided based on natural resources... it's an interesting story that sums our global political climate, and it's not necessarily rooted in "pure evil." It's more... a need that got out of control.

The short of it is, there were those with enough natural resources to subside without changing a thing, and then there were those with little to no natural resources, requiring that they adapt, then derive them from elsewhere. This, of course, led to disenfranchisement, and combined with the ostensibly natural human incination for greed, led to the discord to which we're entirely too accustomed today.

Accordingly, it just so turns out that most of the advancements that resulted from this dynamic remains rooted in their origin -- the pillaging of one society to bolster resources that another lacks. This includes everything, including our technology. Take, for example, smart phones, computers, and videogames. Where do you think we get so many materials required for these items that don't exist domestically?

Observe: http://www.cnn.com...

Granted, progress has been made, but if you paid attention to the numbers, the overall situation remains dire, and quite saddening.

I know that it would be so much easier to remain dogmatically nationalistic, but there's nothing that's going to change the fact that this is how we treat our fellow man (not to mention other forms of life) unless we acknowledge it and change it ourselves.

I know the question remains, "how?" However, it is no longer inconceivable that we can make our way independently using alternative means, even if it ends up being less cost effective (in terms of money rather than life, as everything is paid for in one way or another).
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 8:58:14 AM
It's so sad - watch the show, "Blood Diamonds". The only way to changge it is to bring it to people's attention and say, "This is what's happeneing. We are causing this."

Unless people's heartstrings are pulled, nothing will change. It's so horrible to think billions of people who would otherwise be contributing to our collective knowledge are wallowing in sadness and horror every day, while we twiddle our fingers and post about it.
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:03:37 AM
I used my fake Facebook page to call out Nintendo on their Facebook, since they had the worst score. We need to call these companies out publicly!! This really bothers me for someone that has many of Nintendo. WII DS and 3DS games you name it. If they don't change they deserve all the piracy people throw their way.
Me
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:04:43 AM
Was I the only one who read the title of this thread and thought it was about someone having their period?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:09:41 AM
Dude. It's disgusting. More limits need to be placed on free trade. I fully believe that the stress on living standards due to the diamond trade are a direct result of the civil wars that are going on there. When you see 10 year old boys toting ak 47's...:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com...

...you come to wonder how the f*ck a diamond could EVER be a symbol for marriage. >_<
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:12:27 AM
Just forget about it. Nobody cares, nobody has ever cared, and nobody ever will care. There is no way to change this place.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:15:23 AM
Also, I think that we are at the place where we could have some form of relatively cheap energy that could solve a majority of these problems. But they would never make the limelight due to greed. Just think about nikola tesla's inventions..
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:20:03 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:12:27 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Just forget about it. Nobody cares, nobody has ever cared, and nobody ever will care. There is no way to change this place.

that is NOT true royal. I'm sure the people in africa care. I'm sure the people in North Korea care. People here care about what goes on in our country. We have been manipulated into thinking there is nothing we can do or there is no hope.. National revolutions have happened in the past. A global revolution is possible :)
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:20:57 AM

People care or their not human.
Me
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:23:32 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:04:43 AM, imabench wrote:
Was I the only one who read the title of this thread and thought it was about someone having their period?

No you weren't.

But yes I do agree that the extent to which our natural resources are bought via oppression and bloodshed is revolting.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:30:57 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:20:03 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:

that is NOT true royal. I'm sure the people in africa care. I'm sure the people in North Korea care. People here care about what goes on in our country. We have been manipulated into thinking there is nothing we can do or there is no hope.. National revolutions have happened in the past. A global revolution is possible :)

The majority of people in this nation don't care, and even if people do care, there's nothing we can do about it.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:31:27 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:20:57 AM, yoda878 wrote:

Humans are by nature evil. I would say that if people do care, they are not human.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:33:51 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:30:57 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

The majority of people in this nation don't care, and even if people do care, there's nothing we can do about it.

Unless we convince our government to stop supporting governments there that allow these abuses to happen. It's not a matter of action, but of inaction. Things stay the way they are because the US government is ACTIVELY interfering for it's own benefit.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:37:03 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:33:51 AM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 8/16/2012 10:30:57 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Unless we convince our government to stop supporting governments there that allow these abuses to happen. It's not a matter of action, but of inaction. Things stay the way they are because the US government is ACTIVELY interfering for it's own benefit.

How long have we been protesting this again? What percentage of the U.S. population knows or cares about this? Since when were we informed what the CIA does? The government doesn't even have the decency to report that it shot two journalists in Iraq on purpose; we have to get WikiLeaks to do that for us. In addition, there are plenty of people who support these types of interactions with other nations. The activists are too few and don't have much power. Our government doesn't even care about our rights and autonomy. Take a look at this: http://www.amazon.com...
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:40:00 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:31:27 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Humans are by nature evil. I would say that if people do care, they are not human.

Humm if your right then I hate all humans,, oh crap hate is evil. Grrrr
Me
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:40:23 AM
Read this too:

http://www.amazon.com...

The CIA has also basically been able to create Manchurian Candidates in the past. The known one is Sirhan Sirhan, the man who assassinated RFK.

Does anybody know or care?

Nope. We're all too busy on our iPhones and laptops. Posting something on DDO doesn't do anything to enact social change; it just makes you a couch warrior who is doomed to fail.
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:40:28 AM

That's a very cynical view to take of humanity. I, obviously, care. Am I not human? I can't really do anything about it as I'm 15, and my passion is cancer research, but there are people out there. Think about the movements that lead to increased equality in America, the removal of corruption and monopolies in the 19th Century. It was hard, and painful, but it was done. This can be done by someone who cares. We just need that person, to make us all see.
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:40:58 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:40:00 AM, yoda878 wrote:

Who cares if hate is evil? All humans are evil, including you.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:41:09 AM
At 8/16/2012 8:58:14 AM, TheBossToss wrote: : It's so sad - watch the show, "Blood Diamonds". The only way to changge it is to bring it to people's attentionand say, "This is what's happeneing. We are causing this."

Unless people's heartstrings are pulled, nothing will change.

Amg, so true... it's as though people demand manipulation.

It's so horrible to think billions of people who would otherwisebe contributing to our collective knowledge are wallowing in sadnessand horror every day, while we twiddle our fingersand post about it.

OMG, that's been something I've really been thinking about lately, probably because I've been reading Steppenwolf... that, to a great degree, is something that concerns the main character. Following a dream of Geothe, he realizes the the best way to deal with such tragedy is to cease to take most things seriously, which Geothe indicated was, "an error of time."
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:41:36 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:40:28 AM, TheBossToss wrote:

That's a very cynical view to take of humanity. I, obviously, care. Am I not human? I can't really do anything about it as I'm 15, and my passion is cancer research, but there are people out there. Think about the movements that lead to increased equality in America, the removal of corruption and monopolies in the 19th Century. It was hard, and painful, but it was done. This can be done by someone who cares. We just need that person, to make us all see.

Do you really think corruption and monopolies have evaporated?
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:43:22 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:03:37 AM, yoda878 wrote:
I used my fake Facebook page to call out Nintendo on their Facebook, since they had the worst score. We need to call these companies out publicly!! This really bothers me for someone that has many of Nintendo. WII DS and 3DS games you name it. If they don't change they deserve all the piracy people throw their way.

Yeah, it's troublesome in general... really exploring the issue will lead you to realize that most of what you use every day, for both need and pleasure, is tainted with the blood of others during its acquisition, or the acquisition of its constituents.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:44:36 AM
Really the best part about it is that diamonds are absolutely worthless in the free market, De Beers keeps the value artificially high while keeping giant warehouses full of them away from market. One of the few true monopolies in the world.

Also the Onion did it.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:46:23 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:40:58 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 8/16/2012 10:40:00 AM, yoda878 wrote:

Who cares if hate is evil? All humans are evil, including you.

I'm not human I'm Japanese robot.
Me
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:46:39 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:40:23 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Read this too:

http://www.amazon.com...

The CIA has also basically been able to create Manchurian Candidates in the past. The known one is Sirhan Sirhan, the man who assassinated RFK.

Does anybody know or care?

Nope. We're all too busy on our iPhones and laptops. Posting something on DDO doesn't do anything to enact social change; it just makes you a couch warrior who is doomed to fail.

Well, now I know. I think most of us here distrust the CIA. That wasn't the point. The pooint was there are people in Africa being killed for our benefit, and no one is doing anything. That was the sad thing we came here to lament on. But there is hope, just like there was hope to end slavery. Atrocities will, at some point, end.
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

-Wallstreetatheist

-royalpaladin
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:48:28 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:09:41 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Dude. It's disgusting. More limits need to be placed on free trade.

That is one way of looking at it... but, I think it's less a general free trade issue, and more an issue with how given nations and their sovereignty are perceived.

In other words, there are those we acknowledge, and those we do not.

They say that globalization is supposed to solve this problem... that's a consideration worth entertaining, methinks...

I fully believe that the stress on living standards due to the diamond trade are a direct result of the civil wars that are going on there. When you see 10 year old boys toting ak 47's...:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com...

...you come to wonder how the f*ck a diamond could EVER be a symbol for marriage. >_<
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:51:32 AM
At 8/16/2012 10:21:47 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
The only solution is to have Africa pay us to work in our American mines for them.

Hmmm... what do you mean? I think that it's questionable whether those mines are American in the first place.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:08:44 AM
There are pro's and con's to outsourcing. Some of the conditions may not meet US labor standards, but it is also important to remember that their current job pays more and offers better conditions than 98% of the jobs in the host country.

Women, for instance, can now work to supply familial needs whereas before she might have resorted to prostitution or worked in a true shithole that makes the "sweat shop" look like Google's complex.

Perspectives need to be realistic.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:10:47 AM
Atrocities will, at some point, end.:

One atrocity ends, another begins. Death is inextricably linked to life. That's simply the reality.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)