Jump to topic:

How do you deal with stupid people?

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 9:45:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This isnt about the Bush administration..... I was moving back to college and its a four hour car drive, and the whole time my mom was arguing with my brother about political stuff, but they were so stupid that I literally thought about opening the car door, jumping on to the highway, tuck and roll, and start a new life because I almost couldnt take it.

Heres some of the stuff they were talking about (Im NOT making this up)

Colbert is the perfect conservative
Santorum wasnt conservative enough
Palin is comparable to Obama in terms of speaking skills
The recession that happened under Clinton was equal to the one under Bush
Reagan did a fantastic job cutting the debt
Bachmann is smarter then Hillary Clinton
Libertarians are inherently wrong (THATS where I wanted to jump)
Romney doesnt flip flop too much
etc

What im asking though is how do you handle prolonged exposure to stupidity when you dont have access to a charged phone or any music to mute out the stupidity
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 9:51:38 PM
Have you tried to argue back? I started to argue about social issues with my parents, who are pretty hardcore social conservatives.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:10:43 PM
At 8/16/2012 9:48:13 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
I like the George Carlin method best: just talk it out.

Oh sorry. Didn't read the part that said it was your family you were diagreeing with. This probably isn't the best course of action in that situation.... :)

My bad.
Sapere Aude!
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:16:56 PM
At 8/16/2012 9:45:30 PM, imabench wrote:

This is actually true. Romney's flip flop reputation pretty much hinges on one flip on abortion. The media has just picked this up as part of a larger narrative and jumped on everything, taking things out of context.

Romney is actually less of a flip flopper than Obama.
As a general rule, you'll find that, when a conservative is talking about policy, history, economics, or something serious, liberals are nowhere to be found. But, as soon as a conservative mentions Obama's birthplace or personal life, liberals are everywhere, only to dissappear again when evidence enters the discussion.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 10:46:45 PM

Pass me the gun and sulphuric acid.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:07:22 PM
At 8/16/2012 10:16:56 PM, JamesMadison wrote:

This is actually true. Romney's flip flop reputation pretty much hinges on one flip on abortion. The media has just picked this up as part of a larger narrative and jumped on everything, taking things out of context.

JM..... you siding with the people who said Libertarians are inherently wrong doesnt make you look good....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:07:37 PM
At 8/16/2012 10:46:45 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Pass me the gun and sulphuric acid.

i know right?

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:08:28 PM
At 8/16/2012 9:51:38 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Have you tried to argue back? I started to argue about social issues with my parents, who are pretty hardcore social conservatives.

One does not simply reason with my family.

JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:23:44 PM
At 8/16/2012 11:07:22 PM, imabench wrote:

JM..... you siding with the people who said Libertarians are inherently wrong doesnt make you look good....

I'm not a libertarian. But, that's not the point I was agreeing with them on.
As a general rule, you'll find that, when a conservative is talking about policy, history, economics, or something serious, liberals are nowhere to be found. But, as soon as a conservative mentions Obama's birthplace or personal life, liberals are everywhere, only to dissappear again when evidence enters the discussion.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:38:03 PM
At 8/16/2012 11:08:28 PM, imabench wrote:

No sh!t. I figured that out the hard way when I got into an argument with my mom about whether or not governments should legislate morality.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:40:19 PM
At 8/16/2012 11:38:03 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 8/16/2012 11:08:28 PM, imabench wrote:

No sh!t. I figured that out the hard way when I got into an argument with my mom about whether or not governments should legislate morality.

Do your parents dismiss you when you try to argue with them?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:41:27 PM

Ya I've never found a compelling reason to dismiss libertarianism and get pretty mad when people dismiss it without a good reason.

But I'll derail, Mitt Romney says and does whatever it takes to win, including many flip flops, not just abortion.
For example, he said he'd like to see his healthcare plan be implemented by the whole country.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 12:23:40 AM
This isnt about the Bush administration..... I was moving back to college and its a four hour car drive, and the whole time my mom was arguing with my brother about political stuff, but they were so stupid that I literally thought about opening the car door, jumping on to the highway, tuck and roll, and start a new life because I almost couldnt take it.

etc

What im asking though is how do you handle prolonged exposure to stupidity when you dont have access to a charged phone or any music to mute out the stupidity

Carry a few dozen of these with you everywhere you go, folded up in sealed envelops. Give one to the person and walk away before they can open it and respond.

http://i.qkme.me...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
JamesMadison
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 12:44:35 AM
At 8/16/2012 11:41:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Ya I've never found a compelling reason to dismiss libertarianism and get pretty mad when people dismiss it without a good reason.

But I'll derail, Mitt Romney says and does whatever it takes to win, including many flip flops, not just abortion.
For example, he said he'd like to see his healthcare plan be implemented by the whole country.

He has always said that he thinks other states should follow his model, but he has always held that the federal government should not impose it.
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 2:43:16 AM
At 8/17/2012 12:44:35 AM, JamesMadison wrote:
At 8/16/2012 11:41:27 PM, lewis20 wrote:

He has always said that he thinks other states should follow his model, but he has always held that the federal government should not impose it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 8:48:33 AM
At 8/17/2012 12:44:35 AM, JamesMadison wrote:

That's clearly a cop-out on his part, he's said before that he believes his plan would be best for the country.
So he's either flipped on universal healthcare or all of the sudden cares about states rights. I'll make it easy, he doesn't care at all about states rights.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:29:55 AM

etc

I'm lucky, both of my parents are reasonable. If I were you I'd ease myself into the conversation and then annihilate them with reason and logic.

The only libertarians I have a problem with are those who just spout whatever they heard on South Park and act like they've formed an political philosophy based on their hatred of movie stars and people who 'care'.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:54:22 AM
Hmmmm.... my parents like yelling when their views are challenged, so I piss them off with quick, sharp comments that undermine the entire 20 minutes they've been screaming about and then snicker as they make retardedly stupid comments. That's more of my mom though. My dad knows what's up. That's how I deal with them anyway. It's very amusing :P
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 2:39:54 PM
At 8/17/2012 10:29:55 AM, Frederick53 wrote:

etc

I'm lucky, both of my parents are reasonable. If I were you I'd ease myself into the conversation and then annihilate them with reason and logic.

The only libertarians I have a problem with are those who just spout whatever they heard on South Park and act like they've formed an political philosophy based on their hatred of movie stars and people who 'care'.

Lol wut?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 5:52:22 PM
At 8/17/2012 2:39:54 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

etc

Lol wut?

Ever talked to a South Park Republican?
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 6:11:57 PM
At 8/17/2012 5:52:22 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

etc

Lol wut?

Unfortunately.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 6:13:06 PM
At 8/17/2012 5:52:22 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

etc

Lol wut?

Nope. What is their style?
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 6:15:34 PM

He was actually fairly moderate before he entered congress.

etc

https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 6:18:52 PM
At 8/17/2012 6:15:34 PM, 16kadams wrote:

If by moderate you mean crazy Christian fascist, then I wholeheartedly agree!

etc

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 6:20:29 PM
At 8/17/2012 6:18:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

He rarely spoke of social issues until 1995

etc

https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 6:21:53 PM
At 8/17/2012 6:20:29 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 8/17/2012 6:18:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

He rarely spoke of social issues until 1995

Even if that is true, which I doubt, it does not make him not a CCF. It just means that he did not speak of his fascist tendencies.

etc