Jump to topic:

When the Debt Run Its Course...

MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:36:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What are you doing to prepare yourself for when the U.S Debt finally runs its course? What do you think we should do to prepare for that inevitable moment when we have to begina austerity measures? Me: I'm accumlating as much physical property as possible, I'm increasing the value of my human capital through education and I'm trying to get a house before the chickens come to roost, so to speak. Also, I'm looking for a back up country right now... looking at Iceland and Australia.
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:50:18 PM
All it took was one president to fvck up eight long years of creating a surplus out of a deficit. One president...and then it all went to hell.

As long as US debt is still an attractive investment, which it very much is, this won't be too much of a problem. The debt isn't a problem at all. It's the interest on our debt that's gonna kill us.

What needs to be done is both houses of congress and the presidency given to the same party. I don't care which. Republicans have made it clear bi-partisanship is long gone. But if one party holds a majority in both houses and the minority party don't act like obstructionist a**holes like the Republicans did in '09-'11, then a budget solution can be passed.
Sapere Aude!
TheHitchslap
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:53:52 PM
At 8/17/2012 10:36:11 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
What are you doing to prepare yourself for when the U.S Debt finally runs its course? What do you think we should do to prepare for that inevitable moment when we have to begina austerity measures? Me: I'm accumlating as much physical property as possible, I'm increasing the value of my human capital through education and I'm trying to get a house before the chickens come to roost, so to speak. Also, I'm looking for a back up country right now... looking at Iceland and Australia.
Thank you for voting!
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 10:54:38 PM
At 8/17/2012 10:50:18 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
All it took was one president to fvck up eight long years of creating a surplus out of a deficit. One president...and then it all went to hell.

As long as US debt is still an attractive investment, which it very much is, this won't be too much of a problem. The debt isn't a problem at all. It's the interest on our debt that's gonna kill us.

What needs to be done is both houses of congress and the presidency given to the same party. I don't care which. Republicans have made it clear bi-partisanship is long gone. But if one party holds a majority in both houses and the minority party don't act like obstructionist a**holes like the Republicans did in '09-'11, then a budget solution can be passed.

This. And I don't want hardcore leftists or Tea Party republicans who are frequently racist jerks.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:07:06 PM
At 8/17/2012 11:02:21 PM, MrBrooks wrote:
The point of this topic is a sort of "what-if" scenario.

Id use my blonde hair blue eyed look I got going on to move to Germany (one of the few stable financial countries in the Euro), learn German, and should Germany start WWIII Ill feed intelligence to the allies from the inside like a good old fashioned mole, cause America f*cking rocks <33333
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:08:31 PM
Personally, starting another European world war is great idea. We could sell them armaments and solve the debt crisis.
Sapere Aude!
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:09:01 PM
At 8/17/2012 10:54:38 PM, Contra wrote:

This. And I don't want hardcore leftists or Tea Party republicans who are frequently racist jerks.

????????????????????????????????????
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:09:04 PM
At 8/17/2012 11:08:31 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Personally, starting another European world war is great idea. We could sell them armaments and solve the debt crisis.

and i could easily move between both sides :D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:11:30 PM

A Sino-Russo War would be better, especially with the ensuing devastation of Chinese and Russian industry.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:11:55 PM

I have at least 25% of my total income stored in my personal safe at home, the rest is earning interest in the bank and some of it is critical investments in things like bonds and silver.

I am investing in my human capital as well, in high school and taking advanced classes when I can and I'm maintaining a high GPA.

I have also built a large encampment in the woodlands near my house, which could easily allow a family to live back there, all that would be needed would be a source of clean drinking water (ponds are murky), a source of food besides vegetation, rodents that my cats catch, and bluegill, some blankets, and the shovels I already have back there.

I don't, and neither does my immediate family, rely on Social Security.

I'd be okay, although living would be not nearly as comfortable, but you don't know how it could work out.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:12:15 PM

http://farm7.staticflickr.com...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:13:55 PM
At 8/17/2012 11:09:01 PM, DanT wrote:
At 8/17/2012 10:54:38 PM, Contra wrote:

????????????????????????????????????

One thing is that Joe the Plumber wanted us to set up a border fence and "start shooting". I can understand these racial undertones that he spoke of.

Same thing with Gingrich, the "food stamp President"? Come on.

MrBrooks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:14:52 PM
At 8/17/2012 11:11:55 PM, Contra wrote:

I have at least 25% of my total income stored in my personal safe at home, the rest is earning interest in the bank and some of it is critical investments in things like bonds and silver.

I am investing in my human capital as well, in high school and taking advanced classes when I can and I'm maintaining a high GPA.

I have also built a large encampment in the woodlands near my house, which could easily allow a family to live back there, all that would be needed would be a source of clean drinking water (ponds are murky), a source of food besides vegetation, rodents that my cats catch, and bluegill, some blankets, and the shovels I already have back there.

I don't, and neither does my immediate family, rely on Social Security.

I'd be okay, although living would be not nearly as comfortable, but you don't know how it could work out.

Buying gold and building a bunker to hide it in sounds like an attractive idea. I think I'm going to buy myself an AR-15 and stockpile some ammo in there too, to defend my gold. I wouldn't want to have a lot of dollars on hand, because they'd become worthless over night.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:19:47 PM
At 8/17/2012 11:12:15 PM, FREEDO wrote:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com...

^^^^

JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 11:36:29 PM
I'm saving up to buy a home. Planning on having quite a bit of land with a large garden. Food storage, some guns and ammo(in case of zombies... or riots... or an overabundance of beer bottles).

I love the people who buy gold in case of apocalyptic kind of scenarios... it probably wouldn't be worth anything, people would rather carry food and supplies than heavy currency.

But, I don't think we'll get to that point. All we have to do is keep the deficit under GDP growth, and we can pay interest as the same(or lower) percentage of the budget indefinitely.

That being said, there's no reason why we shouldn't balance our budget... just think about how much more money we would have to spend over the next 100 years if we had no debt-interest.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13