Jump to topic:

Drug Legalization

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 3:14:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm starting to be on the wall for full drug legalization. Recently, I've realized how brain-dead most Americans are. I don't know if I can trust them to not accidentally kill themselfs. At the very least, I think there should be extensive education on drugs and te harms of them before one can purchase them.

I also don't think that people should be allowed to be under the influence of anything when around children/unconsenting adults.

I'm all for people making edcuated decisions about their own life, but I don't think most people can.

Inb4 "the state don't know better than teh peoplez" Yeah, they do.

Thoughts?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 3:54:53 AM
At 8/20/2012 3:14:45 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
I'm starting to be on the wall for full drug legalization. Recently, I've realized how brain-dead most Americans are. I don't know if I can trust them to not accidentally kill themselfs. At the very least, I think there should be extensive education on drugs and te harms of them before one can purchase them.

I also don't think that people should be allowed to be under the influence of anything when around children/unconsenting adults.

"Anything" obviously doesn't count what has been prescribed...

I'm all for people making edcuated decisions about their own life, but I don't think most people can.

Thoughts?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:22:06 AM
At 8/20/2012 3:54:53 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Only if that prescription isn't used other than medicinal purposes.

Thoughts?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 9:31:44 AM
This should only be true for LSD, PCP, Meth, Cocaine and maybe Ecstasy and Herion. Maybe.

At some point people have to wake up and realize that marijuana is utterly harmless.

As for driving under the influence, we can only hope that some day a technology will allow cars to cut their engines and put on the brakes when they detect that the driver has been using.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 10:36:49 AM
What right do you have to impose your value judgements on them?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
HarveyJason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 12:21:47 PM
Everyone just stop argueing! I can't take it anymore! Guys look, crack is bad! My friend does crack and hes stupid! But other drugs like pot should be legalized because theyre good for you! Gelp me free the masses brothers!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:03:12 PM

Thoughts?

I strongly believe that cocaine should be legalized, along with weed (but that's another topic). I'm not even trolling, but I seriously believe that the United States needs a higher amphetamine consumption rate.

Cocaine kills your appetite- ergo less food is eaten, which means in time less food would need to be produced.
Cocaine speeds up your metabolism- an excellent means to facilitate weight loss if used sparingly.
Cocaine improves memory, heightens cognition rates- people would be smarter and more productive.
Cocaine gives you energy- cocaine gives you the energy to get through the day, where otherwise you might not have any.
Cocaine makes life more enjoyable- things are more interesting when you're stoned, and you care more about the world in which you live when you're high.

Yes, people can overdose -but they can also die of alcohol poisoning, ibuprofen overdose, and a whole host of other things that are legal... so that seems like a stupid reason not to legalize it

If people do overdose, all they need to do is take Benadryl. (Friend of mine is a med student.)

The benefits are overwhelming... the costs are marginal... and the tax money would be unprecedented.
Tsar of DDO
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:15:44 PM
At 8/20/2012 1:03:12 PM, YYW wrote:

Thoughts?

I strongly believe that cocaine should be legalized, along with weed (but that's another topic). I'm not even trolling, but I seriously believe that the United States needs a higher amphetamine consumption rate.

Cocaine kills your appetite- ergo less food is eaten, which means in time less food would need to be produced.
Cocaine speeds up your metabolism- an excellent means to facilitate weight loss if used sparingly.
Cocaine improves memory, heightens cognition rates- people would be smarter and more productive.
Cocaine gives you energy- cocaine gives you the energy to get through the day, where otherwise you might not have any.
Cocaine makes life more enjoyable- things are more interesting when you're stoned, and you care more about the world in which you live when you're high.

Yes, people can overdose -but they can also die of alcohol poisoning, ibuprofen overdose, and a whole host of other things that are legal... so that seems like a stupid reason not to legalize it

If people do overdose, all they need to do is take Benadryl. (Friend of mine is a med student.)

The benefits are overwhelming... the costs are marginal... and the tax money would be unprecedented.

If drugs were common place in society and customs concerning their usage were adopted that encouraged responsibility and openness, then it would be beneficial. It would mean fewer ODs, more medical uses, and DRASTICALLY lower crime and homicide rates. Although your vision of cocaine as a super drug is a bit optimistic, eh?

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:30:17 PM
I'm starting to be on the wall for full drug legalization. Recently, I've realized how brain-dead most Americans are. I don't know if I can trust them to not accidentally kill themselfs.

Why do their personal decisions require your seal of approval?

At the very least, I think there should be extensive education on drugs and te harms of them before one can purchase them.

Why does that decision get outsourced to anyone but the user?

Lololololololol That's a stupid standard. Do you want me to carry a stack of release forms in case I run into some strangers? Or do you want to admit that the only thing worth worrying about is crime per se. I mean, really--if your standard is going to be "prohibit scenarios that increase the likelihood of criminal activity", you should probably also ban being angry or upset around other people, since angry people are more likely to be violent than non-angry people.

umad.jpg

"You can't make good decisions, so we're outsourcing your decisionmaking ability to bureaucrats."

Gee, thanks.

Uh, no, they don't. "Better" is just based on some arbitrary standard that you define such that it gives you the result that you want (i.e., people being parented by the state).

Thoughts?

1. Go f*ck yourself.

2. Your paradigm is just based on fear of unknown consequences, which, consistently applied, basically results in the state (which, for some reason, is sufficiently infallible) to control most or all everyday decisions and brain states.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:31:36 PM
At 8/20/2012 9:31:44 AM, Frederick53 wrote:
This should only be true for LSD, PCP, Meth, Cocaine and maybe Ecstasy and Herion. Maybe.

At some point people have to wake up and realize that marijuana is utterly harmless.

As for driving under the influence, we can only hope that some day a technology will allow cars to cut their engines and put on the brakes when they detect that the driver has been using.

Well, if Google has anything to say about it, we'll have consumer-ready cars that drive themselves.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:35:57 PM
YYW, I understand that you're not trolling. I do think there are benefits to some drug intake. I think a lot of "rational" people dismiss it too quickly without knowing the facts. I've both witnessed and experienced positive things as a result of taking E, LSD and mushrooms. I'm pretty vocal about being a smoker (weed). However, the problem with opiates and amphetamines is that they are HIGHLY addictive unlike hallucinogens. That addiction can be dangerous for a variety of reasons.

The risks associated with repeated use are also really high. Despite being pretty liberal on this topic, I don't think I'd ever say that people in society should be encouraged to do cocaine. If anything I'd say it's not a huge problem if people want to do it... but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Maybe if it was pure, I could justify a rare usage. For instance I'll admit to having used Adderall during cram sessions or mass paper writing, and it definitely helped my focus and concentration. A lot of brilliant minds (philosophers, psychologists and others) used and abused cocaine. It has its uses as well, some similar to adderall; they're both amphetamines after all. But the addictiveness of cocaine and its long-term effects make it not worth it IMO. That's my choice. I would never advocate using cocaine for everyday tasks or to lose weight. Keep in mind it also inflates your ego and makes you a huge d!ck, which could be problematic in your social/work life.
President of DDO
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:37:25 PM
I'm starting to be on the wall for full drug legalization. Recently, I've realized how brain-dead most Americans are.
So drugs can't do more harm to their brains I guess.

I don't know if I can trust them to not accidentally kill themselfs.
Wouldn't the brain-dead ones go extinct and make the world better for the rest?

At the very least, I think there should be extensive education on drugs and te harms of them before one can purchase them.
People would be more educated if the drugs were legalized. Imagine buying a box of weed with a little banner saying, "This might make your children headless. Or at least, in your mind." It would freak people more out than if they went to a drug dealer and heard cozy stories about the miraculous effects of weed.

Nope, not true.

No they don't. You never know what kind of methods the state will use to enhance a ban. It might start well the first decade, then turn into a public oppression in the second. Who is to say we can trust the daddy government?

Thoughts?
Weed smokers should be stoned.
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:41:29 PM
At 8/20/2012 1:37:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
I'm starting to be on the wall for full drug legalization. Recently, I've realized how brain-dead most Americans are.

People would be more educated if the drugs were legalized. Imagine buying a box of weed with a little banner saying, "This might make your children headless. Or at least, in your mind." It would freak people more out than if they went to a drug dealer and heard cozy stories about the miraculous effects of weed.

Nope, not true.

No they don't. You never know what kind of methods the state will use to enhance a ban. It might start well the first decade, then turn into a public oppression in the second. Who is to say we can trust the daddy government?

Thoughts?

What is your problem with weed? I really hope you're being sarcastic.

Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:43:26 PM
At 8/20/2012 1:41:29 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
At 8/20/2012 1:37:25 PM, Mirza wrote:

Nope, not true.

Thoughts?

What is your problem with weed? I really hope you're being sarcastic.

I get the joke about stoning stoners, I'm talking about the other thing.

I mean, you don't really think that weed causes birth defects do you?

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:46:06 PM
At 8/20/2012 1:43:26 PM, Frederick53 wrote:
I get the joke about stoning stoners, I'm talking about the other thing.
About time.

I mean, you don't really think that weed causes birth defects do you?
No Ma'am, it's an exaggeration. Promotes the point.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 1:48:32 PM
As for why I think drugs should be legal, in addition to the whole personal freedoms argument comes a practical (economic) case against criminalization. There are three main groups that benefit from keeping drugs illegal: the drug cartels who profit, the banks who use those profits for money laundering, and law enforcement groups who receive budget expansions the more drugs are depicted as an extreme threat to society.

There will always be a demand for drugs. As such there are benefits to making the drug trade legal. For one thing, profits could be taxed. For another, despite having 5% of the world's population, the U.S. has 25% of its prisoners. Most criminals are involved in drug sales or trafficking. Groups like drug lords and their goons, gangs and the mafia profit from the illegal drug trade because it's under ground. Risk skews supply and demand and inflates prices. This is ultimately expensive for everyone.

To further their cause, these groups (like gangs) recruit people who become criminals. These people steal and kill as part of their job description. To pick up these criminals, the State must expand law enforcement. Once again this is expensive for everyone. We care more about punishment for victimless crimes rather than rehabilitation. We fail to recognize that the government and drug cartels are in bed with one another, thus we'll never win the imaginary war on drugs despite lower results and ever-increased funding...

In short, the war on drugs is both immoral and impractical. Even though drug use can have a lot of negative impacts on society, prohibition is not the solution. Consider how drunk driving is exceptionally unfortunate, and we legislate to deter that (through harsh drunk driving laws) - but history has shown us that prohibition completely and utterly fails, not to mention backfires. Prohibition on drugs like alcohol is just as much of a failure.
President of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 2:53:37 PM
At 8/20/2012 9:22:06 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

I smoke weed to handle my stress. Medicinal enough for you?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 3:49:34 PM

Thoughts?

If they aren't qualified to decide whether they want to take drugs, can we say that they're qualified to vote, given that this a no less complex enterprise?
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:05:02 PM
At 8/20/2012 1:15:44 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

Thoughts?

If drugs were common place in society and customs concerning their usage were adopted that encouraged responsibility and openness, then it would be beneficial. It would mean fewer ODs, more medical uses, and DRASTICALLY lower crime and homicide rates. Although your vision of cocaine as a super drug is a bit optimistic, eh?

Not that I am encouraging drug use, but those are real/actual effects. Cocaine has a very interesting impact with the body.
Tsar of DDO
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:08:55 PM
At 8/20/2012 8:05:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/20/2012 1:15:44 PM, Frederick53 wrote:

Thoughts?

Not that I am encouraging drug use, but those are real/actual effects. Cocaine has a very interesting impact with the body.

I'm not denying that, but once the long term effects of usage kick in, there'll be a lot more negative effects than positive. But obviously few people are going to just die after snorting cocaine one time, so used sparingly I guess you could see benefits outweighing the negatives. And even then, it would vary drastically from person to person.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:13:29 PM
At 8/20/2012 1:35:57 PM, Danielle wrote:
YYW, I understand that you're not trolling. I do think there are benefits to some drug intake. I think a lot of "rational" people dismiss it too quickly without knowing the facts. I've both witnessed and experienced positive things as a result of taking E, LSD and mushrooms. I'm pretty vocal about being a smoker (weed). However, the problem with opiates and amphetamines is that they are HIGHLY addictive unlike hallucinogens. That addiction can be dangerous for a variety of reasons.

The risks associated with repeated use are also really high. Despite being pretty liberal on this topic, I don't think I'd ever say that people in society should be encouraged to do cocaine. If anything I'd say it's not a huge problem if people want to do it... but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Maybe if it was pure, I could justify a rare usage. For instance I'll admit to having used Adderall during cram sessions or mass paper writing, and it definitely helped my focus and concentration. A lot of brilliant minds (philosophers, psychologists and others) used and abused cocaine. It has its uses as well, some similar to adderall; they're both amphetamines after all. But the addictiveness of cocaine and its long-term effects make it not worth it IMO. That's my choice. I would never advocate using cocaine for everyday tasks or to lose weight. Keep in mind it also inflates your ego and makes you a huge d!ck, which could be problematic in your social/work life.

I'm not advocating that anyone on here take up drug use either, and I'll be the first to admit that hallucinogens scare me. Weak amphetamines (like adderal or cocaine) don't though. Cocaine is highly addictive, but so are cigarettes and -to an extent- coffee. Again, I'm not encouraging drug use, but the effects of cocaine aren't nearly as awful as most people make it sound.

Like alcohol, first time users have the uncanny tendency to think that they can handle more then they can handle -which is problematic, for now at least. I don't want people to overdose, but I don't see the logic in banning a substance that has fewer negative health effects than chronic tobacco consumption.

Cocaine is surprising, though, in terms of who uses/has tried it. People you would never expect to be drug users... frequently.
Tsar of DDO
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:18:01 PM
At 8/20/2012 3:49:34 PM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:

Thoughts?

If they aren't qualified to decide whether they want to take drugs, can we say that they're qualified to vote, given that this a no less complex enterprise?

No.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:21:12 PM
At 8/20/2012 10:36:49 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
What right do you have to impose your value judgements on them?

To clarify my position, I am against people who are uneducated about drugs doing drugs.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:22:40 PM

Thoughts?

That isn't a reason.

#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:29:02 PM
At 8/20/2012 1:30:17 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I'm starting to be on the wall for full drug legalization. Recently, I've realized how brain-dead most Americans are. I don't know if I can trust them to not accidentally kill themselfs.

Why do their personal decisions require your seal of approval?
Because people won't know what they are doing. I don't care that they do drugs if they know the risks and know how to be safe while taking them.

Why does that decision get outsourced to anyone but the user?
Because people won't know what they are doing. I don't care that they do drugs if they know the risks and know how to be safe while taking them.

Lololololololol That's a stupid standard. Do you want me to carry a stack of release forms in case I run into some strangers? Or do you want to admit that the only thing worth worrying about is crime per se. I mean, really--if your standard is going to be "prohibit scenarios that increase the likelihood of criminal activity", you should probably also ban being angry or upset around other people, since angry people are more likely to be violent than non-angry people.

umad.jpg
This isn't about crime. This is about health risks from smoke and the like... Also, I don't think that kids can properly consent to anything.

"You can't make good decisions, so we're outsourcing your decisionmaking ability to bureaucrats."

Gee, thanks.

Uh, no, they don't. "Better" is just based on some arbitrary standard that you define such that it gives you the result that you want (i.e., people being parented by the state).
Experts on drugs know more than a random guy wanting to get high...
Thoughts?

1. Go f*ck yourself.
<3
2. Your paradigm is just based on fear of unknown consequences, which, consistently applied, basically results in the state (which, for some reason, is sufficiently infallible) to control most or all everyday decisions and brain states.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:30:52 PM
At 8/20/2012 2:53:37 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/20/2012 9:22:06 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

I smoke weed to handle my stress. Medicinal enough for you?

It's fine if you smoke away from your kids and can still make good decisions.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:31:58 PM

Thoughts?

It's not that the state doesn't know better than the people--which, by the way, it clearly doesn't--it's that it has no right to baby its citizenry.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 8:33:22 PM
At 8/20/2012 8:22:40 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Thoughts?

That isn't a reason.

It doesn't have to be... but I do agree and will take it a step further... people should not be under the influence of anything to the extent that they cannot control themselves in public places.
Tsar of DDO